Their Only Solution

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SJK's POV*

"YOU?!!!"

I can't believe what I'm seeing. I didn't think we'd meet again. After disappearing right after that incident at the party, I was quite convinced that it was all just a dream. That my mind only conjured that unbelievable scenario at the terrace, out of boredom. But seeing her standing in front of me with a shocked expression which I'm sure reflects my own, just proves that that night was real. That the girl who has recently been visiting me in my dreams really exists and is not just a figment of my imagination. Is this really happening? Is the person I'm getting engaged to really that feisty girl from Jong Suk's party?

My temporary moment of shock and disbelief gets interrupted when I hear Chairman Song saying, "You two know each other?" I am about to open my mouth to answer when she hurriedly bows and says "Mianhaeyo. Please excuse me, I have to leave." I stare at her as she dashes out the door without even looking back.

"Excuse me," I bow and follow after her. I scan the crowd the moment I got out from the restaurant and spot her a few meters from me. I run to her direction, trying to catch up.

"Hye Kyo-ssi!," I call her, but she doesn't stop. 

"Hye Kyo-ssi, wait!" I try again, but she continues walking hurriedly. I finally reach her and grab her arm to stop her from running away.

"Song Hye Kyo," I say

"What?!" she fires back and I'm momentarily stunned to see her crying. Why is it that everytime we meet, she's always crying? My eyes follow as tears flow down her cheeks and I find my hand wanting to wipe them away.

"You knew about this, didn't you?!" She shouts. "You're in this with them!" I want to answer, but she cuts me off, "Oh, right. You're one of them. You're just like them! What all of you only think about is for your business to become successful, even at the expense of the people around you,"

"No, I didn't plan this. I'm also a victim here. I don't like any bit of this setup" I say, insulted. Who does this girl think she is? Who is she to judge me?

She laughs sarcastically. "Yeah, right. I don't believe you. People like you care only about yourselves. Why? What will get when you marry me? Ah, I get it. What did your father say earlier? A successful merger between our companies, and an instant seat at the board of directors, if I think of it." Now, I'm starting to get really mad. How judgmental could this girl get? Does she even know what I've been through? I'm not just someone who uses people to get things, I work hard for them. All my life I've been trying to prove myself to a lot of people, I'm not planning on adding her to the list. 

"Look, Miss Song Hye Kyo, before you judge me, I suggest you do your research first. I went to one of the best business schools in Europe and tried to attain a number of notable achievements to finally fit into the job that I want. I'm not marrying you because it guarantees a seat in the board. Like you, I'm also being forced into this uncomfortable setup by my father. I'm doing this because I want to prove my worth. I'm doing this because I want to prove to my father that I can also do amazing things in the industry just like what my brother can do," I stare at her in the eyes and find that she's a bit surprised at my outburst. After a few seconds, she struggles to break free from my grasp and gives me an equally serious look.

"I don't care about what you want, what you're trying to prove or whatever drama it is that is happening in your family. I do not want to marry someone I don't love. I do not want and will not marry you. So, I suggest you find someone else to help you prove yourself because I'm not aggreeing to this stupid setup!" she backs away and I do not stop her. To say that she's mad would be an understatement. 

 

*SHK's POV*

I woke up this morning with a terrible headache. I've spent the entire night las night crying until I finally fell asleep. I still couldn't fathom how my father could do this to me. I thought he loved me, I thought he trusted me, but how could he make a decision like that without telling me? Without even considering my feelings. What do I do now? How am I supposed to ge through this? If only Eomma was still here. If only Eomma was still alive. She'd know what to do, she'd know how to comfort me. But no, she's no longer here. Even the night sky couldn't comfort me. It rained hard as if sensing what I'm going through.

What do I do now? I'm starting to tear up again when I hear a knock on my office door. I compose myself and put on a brave face.

"Noona," Onew says from the door.

"Onew, what is it? Is there something you need?" I ask. Onew, my cousin, is the little brother I've never had. Growing up being an only child was lonely, but I'm glad I have Onew by my side. His mother is my father's younger sister and they're very close. When my mom died, they would come to our house every chance they get, checking up on us. While the siblings talked, Onew would play with me even though "play" for me often consisted of tea parties and playing with dolls. He would complain that it was girly, but later on would give up and just proceed to acting like he's one of the guests in my tea parties.

"Nothing, it's late. Aren't you going home?" he asks, sitting on one of my white office couches.

"In a bit. I'm just finishing something,"

"Noona, are you okay? You don't seem to be yourself today. Is there a problem? You know you can always tell me," he says, clearly worried.

"Of course I am. Why wouldn't I be?" I smile, trying to appease him. But sensing that it's not working, I continue, "I'm fine, I promise. Just tired."

"If you say so, anyway, me and my team are heading out to dinner. We're going to celebrate"

"Oh, I nearly forgot about that. Congratulations on scoring that deal, I knew you could do it. I bet the clients were so impressed." Aside from being the best cousin in the whole wide world, he's also a good businessman. He's very hardworking and determined. He'd go a long way in the business industry.

"Thanks noona, I couldn't have done it without your help and of course the efforts of my team." And he's humble, too. "So, let's go?"

"I'm sorry, Onew, but I think I'll pass this time. I need to finish some things then head home to rest," I say apologetically.

"Okay, no problem, noona. I understand, but please don't overwork yourself," he says as he starts to stand up.

"Yes sir" I say with a smile as I watch him close the door.

---

 

I arrive home in time for dinner and I've been ushered to the dining area where my father is already sitting. I bow silently and sit at my usual chair. The maids start to serve the food and I begin eating quietly. After what seems like years, my father breaks the silence as he clears his throat. I turn to look at him.

"So, about the engagement," he begins. "The other Songs and I have agreed to announce it on their anniversary party, as well as the merging of both companies. Investors and other top business executives will be there. You and Joong Ki can invite your friends, too."

"I won't do it," I say, so quietly I doubt he heard me.

"Pardon me?" Appa asks, surprised. He stares at me.

"I won't do it, Appa. I'm not marrying Song Joong Ki," I say, now staring back at him.

"You are," he says firmly, putting down his fork.

"Don't do this, Appa. Please don't force me to do something I don't want to do," I plead

"This is for your own good, Hye Kyo. Trust me"

"For my own good? Or for your company?" I say and he looks stunned. I don't usually talk to him like this, we have our father-daughter banters from time to time, alright, but never like this. I continue "Isn't it enough that I dedicated my time to the company you've built, Appa? Aren't you concerned of me? Of how I must've felt when you made that decision?"

"Don't turn the story on me now, young lady," Appa says, firmly.

"Don't you love me Appa?"

"I do, that's why I'm doing this,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter