Overcoming the past

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SJK’s POV*

 

It’s another hectic day for me as I jump from one meeting to another. I scan the report submitted to me by my assistant and am about to go another meeting when my phone rings. I immediately answer, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Hi,” says a soft feminine voice. I instantly feel myself smile.

 

“Hye Kyo,” I say and pause, looking up from my papers. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Yes, uhm I’m fine. Just called to thank you for the coffee… and uhmm.. for taking care of me last night,” she says and I close the folder in front of me. They can wait.

 

“Don’t mention it. I’d gladly do that again, though I don’t want you drinking like that ever again,” I say wanting to tell her how worried I was, but then I stop myself. “And besides, I’m your fiancé, remember? It’s my job to take care of you. Or else people would grow suspicious,” I add, trying to tell her and to convince myself that it was all part of the deal and nothing more. But is it really?

 

“Uh, right,” she says and seems to hesitate. “Uh, are you free for lunch? I want to buy you a nice meal, as a thank you,” she says and my smile fades thinking about the schedule lined up for me today.

 

“Uhm, I’m sorry, but I have a lunch meeting regarding the partnership,” I apologetically say.

 

“Uh, okay. Some other time, then,” she says and an idea pops into my mind.

 

“What about dinner?” I ask, hopeful.

 

“Dinner’s okay.”

 

“Okay, dinner it is,” I smile and my secretary pops in my office signaling me that the meeting’s about to start. “Listen, I have to go, I’ll pick you up later, okay?”

 

“I can drive,” she protests. Aish, Hye Kyo, so stubborn.

 

“Nope. No arguments. I’ll pick you up at 7pm. Be ready, bye,” I quickly end the call before she can protest further. Nope, I’m not letting her drive. Not a chance. I make my way to the conference hall with a smile plastered on my face, thinking about what’s in store for us tonight. With a girl like Hye Kyo, I could never tell.

---

 

 I arrive at her house at around 6:45pm in a casual sweatshirt and black pants and ring the doorbell. The gate opens and I’m surprised to see the maid again from last night.

 

“Oh, Mr. Joong Ki. It’s you again, come in, she’s still in her room,” she says, stepping to the side to allow me to come in.

 

“Thanks, uhhh. What’s your name again?” I ask.

 

“Min Ji, sir,” she says as she leads me to the living room and gestures me to take a seat. “I’ll tell her you’re already here.  Excuse me,” she says and hurriedly walks to the direction of her room.

 

Left alone, I look around the vast living room, not really getting the chance to examine it last night. It’s big and classy as what you would expect from the owner of one of the top companies in Asia. But aside from the usual, I can also notice personal touches added to the interior. Like the frames of paintings and pictures hanging on the walls. Curious, I stand up to study them. One is a picture of a younger Hye Kyo and her father smiling happily at the camera. From what I could see, they seem to be really close.

 

I proceed to the next picture, which is of a middle-aged woman. She looks to be in her mid or late 30’s, but still beautiful. With her clasped on top of her knees, she gives off an elegant yet comforting vibe. I wonder who she is.

 

“That’s my mother,” a voice says as if sensing what I was thinking about. I turn around to see a smiling Hye Kyo in front of me. She looks up to the picture as if memorizing each feature of her mother.

 

“She’s really beautiful, isn’t she?” she asks, eyes still glued on the picture and I take another glance back. I can only nod.

 

“What happened?” I finally ask.

 

“She died. In a car accident,” she says, her voice cracking a bit in the end. I am about to ask further when she cuts me off.

 

“Let’s go?” she asks and I nod, sensing the topic earlier slam to a close. Ushering her out the door, I finally note what she’s wearing – a long white button down shirt, tied at the waist and which ends a few inches above her knees. I stop and she looks at me questioningly.

 

“Uh, aren’t you going to wear, uh.. pants with that?” I ask, realizing that my eyes are still looking at her legs. She follows my eyes and I feel my ears burn.

 

“It’s called a shirt dress. You don’t wear pants underneath a shirt dress, pabo. It’s against the fashion rules,” she says matter-of-factly.

 

“But it’s short..” I argue, contemplating whether I should tell her to change or not. Don’t get me wrong, she looks good, really good actually. And her legs, they’re perfect and uh… whatever. I just don’t want others to see.

 

“It’s longer than what I wore before,” she rolls her eyes. “What is up with you and me wearing dresses?” she asks, well, it wasn’t really a question but an accusation, and start to walk towards the door. I follow closely behind her. Ah, forget it. I just hope the table napkin’s big and wide where we’re going. 

“So, where are we going?” I ask her once we got inside the car.

 

“Hmm, let’s go to that new Brazilian kebab place in Gangnam,” she pouts and looks at me.

 

“I like that. Alright, off to Gangnam we go,” I say, smiling as I start the car.

 

---

 

*SHK’s POV*

 

This new kebab place smells divine. I instantly feel hungry the moment we enter the restaurant. I’ve heard good things about their food here eventually getting me interested, but due to my friends’ and mine’s busy schedules, I wasn’t able to try it out here. Coming here alone at night after work wasn’t one of the options. So, the moment Joong Ki agreed to dinner, I instantly thought of this place.

 

The place is full of people but luckily, we find an empty table at one corner. Once seated (and once he’s sure that my legs are covered), we order their bestsellers and look around the place.

 

“Soo… about last night,” he starts and I cut him off.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

“I thought this is supposed to be a ‘thank you for last night’ meal?” he whines.

 

“Yes, it is, but that doesn’t mean I want to talk about what happened,” I say and I shoot him a look and he pouts. He kinda looks cute when he does that. What? Gosh, what was I thinking? I check my phone to check for messages and to avoid his gaze. Just when I’m done replying to Yezi, I hear shutter sounds coming from his direction. I look up to see him smiling with his head propped on one arm while continuously taking pictures of me.

 

“What are you doing?” I demand, glaring at him.

 

“Taking pictures of you,” he simply says and resumes to taking pictures. I reach for his phone but he holds it out from my grasp.

 

“Ya! Ya! Ya!”

 

“Give that to me!” I demand. “Delete those photos!”

 

“Wae? Shiro! I don’t want to.”

 

“You are so annoying!” I say, frustrated.

 

“Wae? Normal couples do this, taking candid pictures of one another. Don’t you know that?” he asks, giving me a ‘don’t you even know’ expression and I sulk, giving up. Finally our food arrives and we dig in, silent for a bit. I notice him enjoying his food so much that I couldn’t help but reach for my phone and take a picture.

 

*snap*

 

 

He stops chewing, shocked and I laugh heartily at his expression. He looks like a child when he’s like that. He gives me an ‘I can’t believe this’ expression and I laugh harder.

 

“Ya! What are you laughing at? And what did you just do?” he pouts and I try to control my laughter.

 

“What? Normal couples take candid pictures of one another. Don’t you know that?” I say, mimicking his choice of words and he smirks. I go back to finishing my meal.

“By the way, are your company policies really that complicated?” he asks and I look at him. “I’m really having a hard time trying to match ours with yours. I don’t want any conflict to arise when the partnership takes place,” he adds.

 

“Hmm, no, not really. It might seem a bit too much at first, but the policies are there for a reason. If you want, I can schedule you a meeting with Onew.  He can help you. He’s really good at those things, I’m guessing he even got everything memorized,” I smile thinking about how diligent with work Onew is.

 

“Do you think he’ll mind?” he asks.

 

“Nope. Especially when he knows it’s you he’ll be meeting with. He’s really giddy about the partnership. That guy’s fond of you. Aish, how is that possible when you two only met once?” I shake my head.

 

“Well, the guy sure knows a good businessman when he sees one,” he smirks and I roll my eyes then smile. “So, where should we go to next?” he asks and I look at him.

 

“I don’t know…” I say, having no idea at all, for the first time.

 

“It’s still early and we both don’t have work tomorrow,” he says and it’s only then that I remember that indeed it’s Friday night. “Ah! I have an idea!”

 

“I don’t like it when you look like that,” I say pointing to the excited look on his face.

 

“Wae? I was only going to suggest that we go watch a movie,” he pouts. “Normal couples do that and we haven’t done it.” I look at him closely and give up. Ugh, how can I say no when he’s giving me that puppy look.

 

“Fine! But no scary movies!” I finally agree and he grins. “Let’s go?” I ask and he stops me.

 

“Wait,” he says and I look at him, wondering why. “Can you at least let me take a picture of you looking at the camera first?” he says and I am about to protest when he continues.

 

“Most of your pictures here are candid shots, which would seem suspicious to the ‘spies’. Most girls in a relationship would monopolize their guy’s phone,” he says and I narrow my eyes at him.

 

“You seem to know a lot of things about relationships,” I say.

 

“Not really, just this relationship,” he says and I want to argue, but again he stops me. “Just one photo, please?” Aish. That puppy look again. He sure knows how to use his charm on me.

 

“Fine!!” I say and he grins, positioning his phone camera in front of me. Aish, let’s get this over with. I prop my chin on my hand and pout at the camera so as not to seem too eager.

 

*snap*

 

 

 

 

---

*SHK’s POV*

 

As we leave the parking lot to head to the movie house, I spot a familiar black car parked two cars behind Joong Ki’s. Really? Up until now? My father is unbelievable, I think to myself and shake my head.

 

“What’s wrong?” Joong Ki asks, noticing my restlessness.

 

“The spy. He’s here,” I quietly say and he discreetly looks around the parking lot then puts his arm protectively around me, I want to object but decide against it. Besides, we have to put up a show for Appa’s investigator.

 

We walk quietly towards the direction of the movie house and both breathe a sigh of relief once we’re sure that we’re not being followed.

 

“You can take your hands off now,” I say to Joong Ki who gives me a clueless expression. I turn to look at his hand still on my shoulder and stare at him.

 

“Wae? I’m your ‘fiancé’. That’s supposed to be normal for us,” he says innocently and buys the tickets for us. It seems to be a mutual decision to watch --------. We decide to buy popcorn and iced coffee right after.

 

“You seem to be enjoying this too much, aren’t you?” I narrow my eyes at him and he grins.

 

“Yes. Very,” he answers smugly. I am trying to get his hand off, while he’s trying to keep it there when I someone calls my name.

 

“Hye Kyo!” Hyo Joo calls and I look at her approaching form surprised. I stop from struggling.

 

“Hyung Joo!” I greet her and she we exchange air kisses.

 

“Oh, hi. I’m Hyo Joo, Hye Kyo’s friend. I believe we haven’t been formally introduced before,” she says, extending a hand. Joong Ki finally drops his hand which was draped on my shoulders to shake hands with Hyo Joo.

 

“Song Joong Ki. Nice to meet you,” he says.

 

“Are you also here to watch a movie? What are you guys watching?” she asks and Joong Ki answers.

 

“Really? That’s what we’re watching, too!” she exclaims then suddenly turns hesitant. I wonder why…

 

“We? I thought you were alone. Who are you with?” I ask and gasp quietly as Hae Jin appears out of nowhere and stands beside his cousin.

 

“Hye Kyo,” he bows and I tense.

 

“Hae Jin,” I say, slightly bowing. I sense Joong Ki looking at me briefly.

 

“Hello. Song Joong Ki imnida. Hye Kyo’s fiancé,” he says, extending his hand. Was it just me or did he really emphasize the word ‘fiancé’? Hae Jin turns his attention to him, about to shake his hand.

 

“I’m Hae Jin, Hyo Joo’s cousin and Hye Kyo’s friend,” he casually says and I feel my hands getting cold. “I heard you guys just got engaged,” he adds and Joong Ki reaches out for my hand. This time I don’t object, given that I’m shaking on the inside. I can’t help but notice that Hae Jin did not congratulate us.

 

“Oh yes. You should’ve been there. It was a great party,” Joong Ki says, his smile a bit cold. I tense and he gently squeezes my hand, offering comfort. I am not the only one uncomfortable in this situation, though as I realize that Hyo Joo, too, has become silent, which is uncharacteristic of her. A few seconds after, she finally breaks the ice and tugs at Hae Jin’s sleeves.

 

“Oppa! I think the movie’s about to start. Let’s go, I don’t want to miss the starting credits,” she says and Hae Jin nods as she drags him away. After a few steps, she turns her head back and gives me an ‘I’m so sorry’ expression while I give her a ‘that’s okay’ smile.

 

“You okay?” Joong Ki asks beside me. Still shaken, I can only nod in reply.

 

“Do you want to leave?” he asks and I shake my head. “We can always watch this movie next time,” he offers.

 

“No, that’s okay. I’m really fine,” I say, reassuring both him and myself. So what if we’re watching the same movie? I shouldn’t act so affected, right? I shouldn’t even be affected. Joong Ki looks at me with concern reflected on his face.

 

“Let’s go, it’s about to start,” I say and drag him inside. I clutch unto him as we make our way in the dark, my eyes still adjusting, and find comfortable seats, which happen to be two rows in front of Hae jin and Hyo Joo’s. I instantly regret ditching Joong Ki’s offer to go home.

 

Can I do this? Can I even finish the entire movie with him sitting behind me? As if sensing my worry, Joong Ki leans in and whispers. “Don’t worry. I’m here with you. Just relax okay? And try to enjoy the movie,” he says and I nod.

 

I was still tensing at the beginning of the movie. I can feel his gaze piercing through my back. I couldn’t focus and start shaking a little. Suddenly, an arm makes it way behind my seat, to rest on my shoulders. I glare at Joong Ki.

 

“What?” he mouths and I continue to glare at him. He gestures his eyes towards the direction of Hae Jin and I give in, understanding his motives. After a few moments of debating, I finally lean my back against my seat and his arm. Better that than nursing a backache later on, right? With his thumb slowly rubbing circles against my shoulders, I find myself finally relaxing and leaning more to his side, feeling comfortable in his arms.

The movie ends and I’m quite surprised that I was able to enjoy it. I even forgot about Hyo Joo and Hae Jin who are now on their way to the parking lot, like us.

 

“We’re going to grab some dinner, want to join us?” Hae Jin asks, looking at me. I start to tense again until Joong Ki puts his hand on my waist and squeezes gently.

 

“I think we’re going to pass. We already had dinner and my fiancée’s had a long day, she might want to rest. Right, Hye Kyo-ah?” Joong Ki looks at me and I can only afford to nod, a bit taken aback by what he called me.

 

“Okay, then. We better go,” Hae Jin bows and we bow in return then head to Joong Ki’s car. While Joong Ki’s helping me settle in my seat, I catch a glimpse of Hae Jin looking at me intently before he enters his car.

 

“Are you comfortable?” Joong Ki asks and I look at him, breaking away my gaze from Hae Jin who I know is staring right at us.

 

“Yes, thank you,” I smile, really grateful of his presence tonight.

 

“Okay, then. Let’s go,” he smiles and closes the door before hurrying to his seat and starting the car. We drive away and I don’t look back at Hae Jin again.

 

---

 

“We’re here,” Joong Ki says a few minutes later as he stops the car in front of my house. I quickly unfasten my seatbelt and get out of the car before he can open the door for me. He has done enough of door opening for today.

He rings the doorbell and we stand there, waiting.

“You know, I’ve been thinking about our deal and your offer of helping me keep Serenity resort,” I say, breaking the silence and he looks at me in anticipation.

“And?” he asks.

“And since I already stopped it from getting sold, I’m thinking you could do that in another way. Will you help me?” I ask, expecting him to say no. After all, who else in their right mind would say yes to a vague favor like this?

“Gladly,” he simply says and I stare at him in disbelief.

“Really?” I ask, still not believing that he’d agree.

“Yes, really. I gave you that offer, then I should fulfill it,” he answers.

“You won’t regret it?” I ask, still making sure.

“I won’t”

“Okay, if you say so. There’s no backing out. Arasso?”

“Arasso,” he says and I smile at him. If he only knew what’s in store for him.

We are still smiling when we hear the gate open and Min Ji appears.

“Good evening Miss Hye Kyo, Sir Joong Ki,” she bows and leaves us alone for a bit, providing privacy.

“Do you want to come in?” I offer, not knowing what else to say.

“I better not. It’s getting late anyway and you need to rest,” he says and I smile at his concern.

“Thank you,” I say softly after hesitating for a few moments.

“For what?” he asks, confused.

“For being there with me tonight. I don’t know what I would’ve done without you there.”

“You don’t have to thank me, I’m your ‘fiancé,’ remember?” he smiles, looking down. “And I promised to take care of you and help you fight your battles for as long as I’m with you,” he says and I feel touched by his words.

Standing in front of me is not the arrogant, selfish man I thought him to be. Instead, I see a sincere and kind-hearted Joong Ki who would go to great lengths to fulfill his promises to me. Even if we’re not really together.

“You should go inside,” he says while I nod and we both seem to realize what an awkward situation we are in. Should I shake his hands? But then that would be too formal and suspicious if ever someone’s watching us. Should I kiss him on the cheek, then? After all, he’s my so-called fiancé. But then, I don’t have the guts to do that.

Before I lose my mind, he comes closer and takes my hand in his. I struggle at keeping my breaths steady and my heart to beat normally as he bows slightly and slowly brings my hand to his lips. My heart beats erratically as I feel him softly kissing my hand. Oh my goodness. Get yourself together, Hye Kyo.

He then lets go of my hand and slowly stands straight, looking at me in the eyes.

“Good night, Hye Kyo,” he smiles, his eyes still bori

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter