One Beautiful Night

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I sit on the bench at the gym, taking a pause from doing intense workout to start my day when my phone rings signaling a call from my secretary, Minsuk.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Sir, I already delivered the two boxes,” he says and I smile.

 

“Are you sure she got it?” I ask, I ordered him to personally deliver the two gifts I prepared for Hye Kyo the morning of the charity ball. I know how much she’s been dreading this event which I forced her to attend, she even tried to ignore me for days, trying to prove her point. But of course, it didn’t work given that we eventually had to meet up since we still should be seen spending a lot of time together as a ‘couple.’

 

We have agreed early on that though we haven’t seen any more of our fathers’ investigators tailing on us, we shouldn’t feel relieved yet and still have to be careful. You’ll never know, right? My irresistible charm also didn’t do her good. I know she just couldn’t resist it when I unleash my puppy look on her.

 

But in spite of all of those, I know tonight will not be easy for her, she might have even been spending some time worrying. But she needs to face her fears. She can’t just continue running away from it, even if that includes Hae Jin, otherwise, she’ll be running away forever. She must learn how to sort out her feelings. That’s why aside from assuring her that I will be with her the whole night offering support as she fights her battles, I want to first make her smile as she starts her day. That way, she won’t get to worry that much about tonight.

 

“Yes, sir. But it wasn’t easy. That maid of hers was really a force to be reckoned with. She kept on insisting that she be the one to hand her the boxes and won’t let me in,” he says and I laugh. That’s Min Ji alright. I could just imagine Min Suk’s face as he dealt with her. I bet it would have been a sight.

 

“At least you got through her. You got her to agree,” I say, still finding the thought of them bantering amusing.

 

“That’s the thing. I didn’t. I was just lucky Ms. Hye Kyo went out and saw us arguing.” Really now. “She was really surprised when she opened the box and found the roses.” Well, indeed, roses in a box are quite not that common. But I like surprising her, and I think ordering one of her favorites in a box rather in a bouquet is a good one.

 

“Was she happy?” I ask, curious now of how Hye Kyo reacted. I know she loves flowers, but you an never be too sure, especially on days like today.

 

“I think so. Well, she did smile,” he answers and I smile, too, feeling relieved that she likes my surprise.

 

“Good. What about the other box?”

 

“That I don’t know. I guess she opened it inside their house. She thanked then dismissed me right after discovering the roses.”

 

“That’s alright. Good job, Minsuk. And thank you for delivering them.” I say, grateful to have a loyal and dedicated secretary like him.

 

“No problem, sir,” he answers before I bid good bye and hang up. I really do hope I made her happy with what I did. And I’m hoping even more that I can be able to make her night at the ball a memorable one, despite the circumstances.

 

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

 

“So, are you ready?” Lee Jin asks me over the phone. She had been ecstatic when I told her about the news that I’m going to the charity ball (even if it’s against my will). It’s not like I have any other choice anyway. The moment I broke the news to her, she instantly insisted that we go shopping for gowns and accessories to go with them. She was so excited, and very thankful to Joong Ki that I was beginning to think that the two of them are conniving against me.

 

I stare at my reflection in the mirror, having just finished putting some makeup on. I decided to keep it simple tonight, settling on light makeup and wearing my hair down, not wanting to go all out. At first, I was really hesitant about attending this ball because of well, uh, Hae Jin, but then, later on, I have come to realize that I do have to attend this. Not only is my father expecting me to meet important young people from the business community there, but almost all of my friends will be present as well.

 

And of course, I have to face my fears. I should stop avoiding Hae Jin, he’s part of this community after all, and there will be a lot of events in the future where our paths are bound to cross. I might as well get it over with. And besides, Joong Ki promised to stay by my side the whole night.

 

I am about to head to the closet to change when I spot the box of flowers Joong Ki sent me through his secretary early this morning. I was really surprised when I opened the box and found dozens of roses neatly arranged in it with a note that says ‘Hope I made you smile today. –Joong Ki’

 

Oh yes you did, you definitely did.

 

The moment I reached my room, I instantly sat down the bed and opened the other box his secretary handed to me. Opening the smaller box, I found that inside it was a pair of maroon colored gloves which’s very similar to the ones I gave to the homeless man near the coffee shop a few nights ago.

 

I know that it’s not exactly the same as your favorite gloves, but I hope this is enough to keep your hands warm. See you tonight- Joong Ki

 

I found myself smiling at his thoughtfulness and tried the gloves on, which fit perfectly. I remember telling him about the gloves only once and in passing and now he bought a pair for me. Not only is he thoughtful, but he is also very attentive.

 

A few minutes later, I am back again at staring at my reflection now in my full length mirror, admiring how the simple yet elegant off-white backless gown (which Lee Jin insisted is perfect for me) from Naeem Khan fit me impeccably.

 

I hear a knock on my door and turn around just in time to see my father coming in, probably to say goodbye since he is due to fly to Malaysia tonight for another business conference.

 

“Wow, you look lovely, princess,” he says, stopping a few steps away from me.

 

“Thanks, Appa. Are you really not coming?” I ask, still hoping that he doesn’t have to go tonight.

 

“I’m sorry, but you know, business is business,” he says apologetically and I smile, trying to reassure him. He already feels bad that he doesn’t have enough time to spend at home these recent years, there’s no need to make him feel worse. After all, I understand that’s how things work in this industry. You have to work really hard for your company, no matter how successful you already are.

 

“It's alright, I understand Appa. But you have to make it up to me once you get back. You owe me a treat at Nami,” I say and he laughs softly.

 

“You really have your mother’s looks,” he says, a moment later, looking a bit sad. “I hope she’s still here right now. She would’ve been proud to see you grow up to be a fine and beautiful young lady.”

 

“But I got my brilliance from you, right?” I , trying to lighten the mood. “And besides, she already knew that I’d turn up to be just like this the moment she gave birth to me. Parents do think highly of their children,” I add and he laughs. “Have a safe flight Appa. Don’t forget to drink your medicines, arasso?”

 

“Arasso. You worry too much about me sometimes,” he says and I smile.

 

“Well, you do the same to me, I guess I should return the favor.”

 

“Aigoo, And you got my sense of humor, too. You really are my daughter,” he says, patting me on the head and I hug him while he hugs me back.

 

“Okay, I should go, I’m going to be late. Enjoy the night, princess. And don’t drink!” he warns me as he walks towards my door.

 

“I won’t! Not with Joong Ki watching me like a hawk all night. I swear he’s like your younger version,” I say and he laughs softly.

 

“That’s why I like him,” he adds before closing the door.

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

 

I glance, smiling, at the single long stemmed red rose sitting on the passenger seat while I drive towards the Songs’ mansion. It’s 6:30pm and the program will start at 7:00pm.

 

I don’t usually like going to these kinds of events since it’s usually packed with stuck-up and over confident people from the business community, bragging about their investments and how rich they are. However, I always end up going since my father wants me to. ‘To build connections,’ he always says. Nonetheless, it doesn’t change my dislike for events that need showing off.

 

Tonight’s different, though. Not only are my friends going, but Hye Kyo is, too, and she’s going with me. Just the thought of being with her the whole night is enough to make me feel excited and hopeful for this event.

 

I park my car outside her house and check my reflection in the mirror before grabbing the rose and ringing their doorbell. After a few minutes, a smiling Min Ji greets me and lets me in.

 

“She’s still getting ready upstairs. I’ll tell her that you’re already here,” she says the moment I step into the living room. My phone chimes and I open it to find two messages. One is from Chulhwa which says, “Dude, we’re on our way. See ya!” and the other one is from Bo Gum telling me not to forget to bring some alcohol.

 

I shake my head at my friends, laughing softly at their silliness when I look up to see Chairman Song descending from the stairs.

 

“Joong Ki,” he greets me with a smile and return the smile after bowing to him.

 

“Chairman Song.”

 

“You’re here to fetch my daughter?” he asks and I nod. “She’ll be going down in a few. You know girls, it takes them too long to get ready,” he says and we both laugh softly.

 

“Are you not going to attend, sir?” I ask, noticing the bags his driver and bodyguard are carrying towards the car.

 

“No, I’m off to attend a conference in Malaysia. I reckon your father will be there, too?” he asks and I nod.

 

“Dae, he’s also flying tonight,” I answer politely.

 

“And besides, events like that are for young people like you. They aren’t fit for old guys like me and your father. Couldn’t handle all the dancing,” he jokes and I laugh. If I come to think of it, he and Hye Kyo are alike in some ways. “Anyway, I better get going. Wouldn’t want to miss my flight. Please take care of my daughter,” he says while I nod.

 

“I will, sir, gladly. Have a safe flight,” I say as he pats me on the back and starts to leave. He is at the door when he turns around, surprising me a bit.

 

“And oh, good choice. She likes long-stemmed roses,” he says, smiling in approval as he points at the rose I seem to have forgotten that I’m still holding. “Have fun!”

 

A few minutes later, I’m still twirling the rose in my hands when someone clears . Finally, she’s done. I turn towards the staircase, a smile ready, while holding the rose in one hand when the sight of beautiful Hye Kyo in a heavenly white gown, which flows down to the floor, takes my breath away.

 

 

 

My eyes follow her every move as she slowly descends from the stairs, looking like an angel sent from above. When I thought she couldn’t get any more beautiful, she reaches the bottom of the stairs, looks straight into my eyes and smiles. Oh my goodness, I love you.

 

She slowly walks towards me and stops a few inches away while I stare at her, feeling bewitched.

 

“How do I look?” she asks, twirling a bit in her dress, showing me her in the process and I gulp. “Do I look good?” she continues to ask while I’m still unable to form a sentence, let alone words to answer her. So this is how it feels like to be at a loss for words.

 

“I’m taking that reaction as a yes,” she laughs softly at my stunned reaction. “Well, you don’t look too bad yourself,” she jokes and I’m brought back to reality.

 

Half present and half dazed, I slowly, a bit shakily raise my hand to give her the rose, which she thankfully takes without noticing me shaking.

 

“Another one?” she raises a brow at me and I force myself to smile confidently. Don’t let her know how much you’re shaking, Joong Ki.

 

“You can never have too many flowers,” I say confidently, but deep down inside I’m trembling. I’m spending the whole night with this witty and beautiful girl. I get to show everyone she’s mine.

 

I know that she may not be as excited for the ball as I am, given that Hae Jin will be there, but I do promise that I’ll make this night something she won’t regret. Keeping what I vowed the moment I proposed to her, I’m going to stay by her side tonight, make her happy and show that Hae Jin guy what he has lost.

 

“Shall we?” I ask, offering her my arm and seeming to regain some of my confidence.

 

“Okay, wait for a sec,” she says as Min Ji approaches us and hands her coat and the gloves I have just given her. I know how much the pair she gave to the man in the street mattered to her, and though she insisted that it was okay, I wanted to make sure that she has something similar to it to remind her of her once favorite winter gloves.

 

She smiles as she hands Min Ji the rose to take to her room and reaches for my arm. “Let’s go,” she says and I smile, holding her hand on my arm, happy to be the of this beautiful lady on this magical night.

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

 

Joong Ki, being the gentleman that he is, helps me settle in my seat first before sitting on the driver’s side. He has always been gentlemanly, but tonight he is extra chivalrous. I think he has made it his mission to make tonight as comfortable and as easy as it could get for me, which I truly appreciate.

 

I glance at him and see that he’s smiling while driving.

 

“You’re really enjoying this, huh?” I say and he looks at me then smiles. “You know, it’s unfair. I only give you easy dares and…”

 

“Who said you sending me to the convenience store to buy sanitary napkins was easy?” he asks. “I think I lost my dignity back there. The old guy in front of the line thought I was gay,” he says, feigning hurt and I laugh softly.

 

“Jinjja? Well, you can’t blame him. You do look like one,” I say and he looks at me, insulted. “You look pretty for a guy,” I say and he scowls at me, which makes me laugh more.

 

“Are my dares really that bad?” he asks and I stop laughing to contemplate this.

 

“Hmm, they’re kind of hard,” I say. “But I think they’re necessary. I do have to face my fears eventually, right?” I add and he smiles.

 

“Ms. Yoo responded to my email yesterday, though,” I say after a few minutes of silence and he looks at me, surprised.

 

“Jinjja?” he asks.

 

“Hmm,” I nod. “She said she’s looking into it and will call me after a few days.”

 

“Wow, that’s great,” he says and I look at him with a questioning look. Why should that be considered great? “That means she’s really interested. She doesn’t respond to proposals if she doesn’t see potential. I know she’s my friend, but she’s that rude. Wasting time is not part of her vocabulary,” he says, smiling at me proudly.

 

“Maybe we shouldn’t get our hopes up,” I say, still not believing that someone, especially a professional at this field, is seeing potential in my work.

 

“Or maybe you should stop underestimating yourself,” he says seriously and I sigh.

 

“Fine. But we shouldn’t be so sure yet until she calls me and gives her approval. Alright?”

 

“Fine,” he says, returning his focus on driving and I hum a happy tune, trying to fill the silence as I watch the urban scenery outside my window.

 

“You sometimes remind me of my sister, you know,” he says, out of the blue, and I stop from humming, surprised at his sudden confession.

 

“Me?” I ask, confused and he nods. “How?”

 

“The way you don’t easily believe it when someone compliments you, and how you like to hum tunes when you’re waiting for the time to pass by,” he says, smiling, but his eyes are sad.

 

“Do you miss her?” I ask, cautiously. He’s silent for a while and I find myself debating whether I did the right thing asking him that question.

 

“Yes,” he quietly says just when I thought he doesn’t plan on answering it. “All the time. We were so close, it’s been years but I still miss her. I miss hearing her squeal every time I brought her flowers I randomly picked on the way home. I miss telling her about my day. I miss talking to her”

 

“Why don’t you?” I ask. “You can still talk to her, bring her flowers when you visit her and…”

 

“I don’t really visit her,” he says and I look at him, surprised.

 

“When was the last time you….”

 

“When was the last time I visited her grave?” he looks at me and I nod. “I don’t know. 15? 16? 17 years? I can’t remember. I stopped going with my parents a long time ago”

 

“Why?” I breathe

 

“I don’t think I can,” he says quietly and my heart reaches out to him. He still blames himself for what happened to his sister and he’s suffering because of it. “I don’t think I’m even worthy to see her grave.”

 

“Joong Ki, I told you. You should stop blaming yourself. It was an accident and..”

 

“I know, I just.. she must not want to see me…” he says, his eyes glistening. I could tell how much he’s still hurting, how badly he wants to see and talk to his sister, but feels so unworthy. I know. I’ve been there, too.

 

For years I’ve been blaming myself over my mother’s death, for years I’ve been punishing myself and it hurt. A lot. I still might have been doing the same until now if it weren’t for Joong Ki who helped me realize that it wasn’t entirely my fault. That I should forgive myself for what happened.

 

He helped me move on from that tragic memory and to not let it continue to burden me. He helped me seek freedom from my past. He helped me be free. This time, it’s my turn to return the favor. This time, I should be the one to help him fight his battles and let go of his painful past.

 

“Since we’re on our way to my dare. It’s your turn now, right?” I ask and he looks at me, surprised at me bringing up our dare in the middle of his breakdown. “I’m ready to ask you my last favor.”

 

“Okay, what is it?” he asks quietly and I take a deep breath before answering.

 

“I dare you to visit your sister,” I say, crossing my fingers. I think I just made my death bed.

 

“No,” he says, looking annoyed with his eyes looking forward on the road.

 

“You can’t refuse, it’s my dare,” I push and he clenches the steering wheel harder. Oh boy, he’s angry. You shouldn’t let this get to you, Hye Kyo. You can’t give up now. “You have to do it, Joong Ki. You know the rules, you can’t say no,” I say and he doesn’t respond. He continues to ignore me until we reach the venue.

 

“We’re here,” he says, opening his door before I can even say something. He opens mine and helps me get down from the car before handing the keys to the valet.

 

“Joong Ki,” I start after we hand our coats and gloves to the waiter.

 

“Let’s not talk about this right now, okay?” he says and I nod, not wanting to spoil the night, which is only about to start. “Let’s go?” he offers his arm and I immediately latch on to it. He seems to find this amusing and he smiles the moment my hands hold his arm.

Joong Ki produces our tickets and gives them to the person-in-charge as we step into the hall where the ball is held. We wait as she checks our names in the guest list and I look around, amazed at the beautiful decorations adoring the place. For a regularly held charity ball, this event always looks grand.

 

I look at Joong Ki, who is also appraising the place beside me and notice that his tie is a bit crooked.

 

“Uh, let me,” I say as I pull my hands from his arm to reach for his tie, surprising him. While I gently fix it, I try to stop myself from shaking as I feel his eyes boring into me, watching me as I try to concentrate on my task.

 

“You know, people passing by would really think we’re a couple with you doing that,” he breathes, his voice so near and I shakily finish arranging his tie. Lub dub. Lub dub. There it goes again. I’m still thinking about a smart comeback to give him

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter