Flying not falling

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SHK’s POV*

 

Two days after that relaxing weekend at the resort, I find myself immersed in paperwork and jumping from one meeting to another.

 

“Ugh. It’s only Tuesday and I feel so tired already. Friday, come quicker, please!” I mentally say as I go out of the conference room. My phone chimes, signaling a text message. I open it and find that it’s a message from Big Boss. Then I smile. Ever since his “un-brithday surprise,” I have come to consider him as a friend, not because he surprised me, but because I felt like I could be myself whenever I’m with him and he wouldn’t judge me.

 

Big Boss: What are you doing?

 

Beauty: Just got out from a meeting. You?

 

Big Boss: How can I be sure that you’re at work and not out with another guy? You know, a spy might see you and think you’re cheating on me.

 

I roll my eyes and turn the front camera on to snap a quick selfie then send it to him.

 

Beauty: There. See?

 

Big Boss: Wow, you look pretty.

 

Beauty: I know.

 

I reply then put my phone in my pocket and resume walking.

 

“Ma’am, there’s a package waiting for you in your office,” my secretary says the moment she sees me. What is up with her? Why is she smiling like that?

 

“Who is it from?” I ask curiously while opening the door to my office. The moment I enter, my eyes promptly widens at the sight of a big bouquet of flowers resting on top of my desk with a small paper bag beside it. Silently, I approach the table and take out the note attached to the flowers to read it.

 

Did you really think I’d let your un-birthday pass without giving you a present? –JK

 

I smile as I fold the note and place it on my drawer. Aigoo, this guy keeps on surprising me. If he doesn’t stop, I might get used to this. I open the paper bag and notice that a little box is resting on the bottom of it. I take it out, wondering what is inside it. I open the box in anticipation, only to find that it is empty.

 

Wait, what? Why is it empty? Where is the content of this box? I check the paper bag and nothing. I check both the desk and the floor, but nope. There isn’t anything there. Has it somehow gotten lost along the way? Freaking out, I call Joong Ki’s phone. He picks up on the first ring. What? Was he already expecting me to call?

 

“Yeoboseyo?” he answers.

 

“Joong Ki-ssi” I say

 

“Wah, are you missing me already that you’re calling again after we texted just minutes ago?” he teases and I scowl at the phone.

 

“Ya! Song Joong Ki!” I say, wanting to catch his attention.

 

“I was just kidding,” he laughs softly. “Did you receive my gift?”

 

“I did, but.. the box. It’s empty,” I say.

 

“Empty?” he asks and I start panicking again. May be it did get lost. Oh my. Where could it be? I panic and he starts laughing.

 

“Ya! Why are you laughing? Do you think this is funny?” I ask, getting annoyed now and he continues laughing. “Wait, it isn’t that, is it? Aigoo! Are you playing a trick on me? Did you send me a fake gift just like our fake engagement? Ya! I’ll really…”

 

“Relax. You’re right. I did send you an empty box,” he says calmly and I start to protest. “But it’s not to spite you….” What?

 

“I didn’t send you the actual gift because I want to be the one to actually put it on you.”

 

“W-what do you mean?” I ask, clueless.

 

“Turn around,” he says and I almost drop my phone. Standing a few steps away from me is a smiling Joong Ki, still holding his phone.

 

“Ommo! You almost gave me a heart attack!” I accuse, my hand flying to my chest. He chuckles, seeing my reaction.

“I’m sorry about that. I didn’t mean to scare you,” he says, taking a few steps towards me while I remain frozen in place, still not believing that he’s here, in SGC, in my office.

 

“I didn’t mean to give you a heart attack,” he continues and I turn my head to my desk, putting my phone down. “But I did mean for your heart to skip a beat,” he adds inaudibly, making me doubt whether I’m just hearing things.

 

“W-what?” I ask.

 

“Nothing,” he says calmly, now standing right in front of me.

 

“W-what are you doing here? Don’t you have work?” I ask, trying to calm my somersaulting heart.

 

“Hmm, I have, but I had to meet with Onew. You were right, he really does know the policies by heart,” he says.

 

“Oh,” I can only manage to say, still panicking inside.

 

“Oh,” he imitates me and smiles. With his eyes still on me, he gets something out from his pocket and my eyes follow the movement. He opens his palm revealing a silver necklace with a pendant that is shaped like a sun. I look up to his face in confusion.

 

“I know that this is not as intricate and as detailed as the necklaces you design, but the moment I saw this, I instantly thought of you,” he says and I struggle keeping my breaths even.

 

“I hope that as you wear this sun necklace, you will remember that sunny summer afternoon with your parents at the beach and be as happy as you were back then. I hope that this reminds you that no matter how dark and hard things get sometimes, you have that light, that fire in you that allows you to shine and conquer them,” he says, looking deep into my eyes that I’m beginning to think he can see through my soul.

 

He unclasps the necklace and looks at me for permission. Still at a loss for words, I weakly nod and he leans in so close I can already smell his minty----------. His hands encircle me as he fastens the necklace and my heart starts beating like crazy at this closeness. His fingers slightly graze my neck and I tremble at his touch, feeling a spark of electricity surge through my veins with just that little contact.

 

When I think I’m about to faint, he slowly pulls away, focuses his eyes on the necklace which is now resting peacefully at the base of my throat and smiles. My hand reaches up to touch it.

 

“It’s beautiful,” I breathe still feeling overwhelmed.

 

“Thank you,” I add and he smiles at me. I find myself smiling back at him, too.

 

“I’m glad you like it,” he says staring into my eyes and I stare back at his. It’s like we’re reading one another with just a stare. We continue standing like this for a few more seconds when the door opens and my secretary pops her head in. Joong Ki and I both break away from each other, embarrassed of being caught in such situation.

 

“Uhm, excuse me Ma’am, Sir, but your next meeting is due in five minutes,” she says and slowly closes the door.

 

“Uh, I better…” I say, still a bit incoherent.

 

“That’s okay, I have to go, too,” he says and smiles.

 

“Uhm, thank you again… for this,” I say and he nods.

 

“You’re welcome. I’m leaving now,” he says and starts to leave, giving me a final smile before getting out the door.

 

I take a deep breath, trying to compose myself after that unbelievable encounter. Breathe, Hye Kyo, breathe. Wow, what just happened?

 

---

*SJK’s POV*

 

I drive back to SCH with a smile on my face, thinking about Hye Kyo’s reaction when I surprised her. She really didn’t see that coming and her reaction was priceless. Strangely, seeing her happy made me happy, too.

 

She really deserves that. After so many years of blaming herself, it’s time for her to be happy again and I’m glad I was able to make her smile. I’m also so glad that she liked the necklace, otherwise, it would’ve broken my heart. The necklace was so her.

 

I can still remember my mission yesterday with Kwang Soo. We went to mall after mall searching for the perfect gift for her. It was only two hours later when Kwang Soo was already plotting my murder and my feet were about to fall off from exhaustion that I found it.

 

“Aish, this pabo! Do you know how many dates I had to cancel just to accompany you? And for what? To go shopping?” he complained and I ignored him.

 

“Aish! Just grab something. I’m sure she’ll like it. You bought a gift for her, after all,” he says while we were walking around the mall.

 

“It can’t just be something, it has to be special,” I told him and he gave me a disgusted expression.

 

“Who are you and what have you done to my friend?” he asked and came closer to me, putting his hand on my forehead.

 

“Ya! Ya! What are you doing?” I asked, getting away from him.

 

“You don’t seem to be having a fever. But you are acting kind of strange,” he said and I gave him a dirty look. “Is this what happens when someone falls in love? You become mentally ill? Aigoo aigoo. If that’s the case, I’m never ever gonna do that. Yuck,” he said, shaking his head and I smacked him.

 

“Ya! Are you telling me that I’m a fool? Aish. Haven’t you ever bought a gift for one of your girlfriends?” I asked him wanting him to get where I’m coming from but he only looked at me, puzzled.

 

“Of course I have! I hired the best personal shoppers in town just to buy their gifts and also to make sure that none of them have the same gift as the other,” he said, proud of his many conquests.

 

“Aigoo! You are hopeless,” I said, walking ahead of him. He followed after me and started whining again when we passed by one of the mall’s most expensive jewelry shops.

 

“Stop!” he said and I looked at him, annoyed. What is it now?

 

“Wae? Why are you stopping? We still have another mall to go to,” I said and he dismissed me, going into the shop. I followed him, not really having a choice.

 

“What? I thought you had personal shoppers?” I accused him and he scowled at me.

 

“I’m buying a gift for my mom. I have a big favor to ask and I have to buy her the biggest stone so she’ll say yes,” he said while looking at all the jewelries lined up under the glass and I shook my head at him. I was still shaking my head at him when I saw it. Displayed in the middle of the limited edition glass cabinet is a fine chained simple necklace with a sun pendant calling for me.

 

The moment I saw it, I instantly knew that it was ‘the one’. “Miss, can I take a look at this?” I asked the saleslady and she carefully took it out then gave it to me. The silver chain is thin and fine while the sun pendant is really beautiful, it can represent a sunny day, just like in the summer. This should remind her of her happy memory at the beach. This is it. This one screams Hye Kyo’s name.

 

“I’ll take it,” I said and I felt Kwang Soo coming near me.

 

“You’re not even going to ask for the price?” he asked and I just smiled.

 

“Nope.”

 

“What if it’s really expensive?” he asked, still not believing that I just bought a necklace and spending so much money for a girl. “What if you’re spending a month’s worth of poker bet on this?”

 

“I have money,” I said and he scrunched his face. Did my friend forget who I am and how much I’m worth? But then again, shops like this do tend to sell top of the line and insanely expensive jewelries.

 

“Wah, you’re really putting in much effort in this,” he accused.

 

“Stop it, dude. It’s worth it. She’s worth it,” I said and he shook his head, walking away from me.

 

“Aigoo, aigoo. My friend has turned mental,” he said and I laughed. Someday, you’ll get it, dude. Someday.

 

----

 

I’m still laughing at the memory when my phone rings. Since I’m still driving, I put it on speaker mode.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Yeoboseyo. Joong Ki, where are you?” Oh, it’s In Sung hyung.

 

“I just finished with a meeting with SGC. I’m on my way back to the building. Why?” I ask, wondering why he’s calling.

 

“Do you have the reports from the Gwangju branch? Can I borrow it? I need it for the presentation next week”

 

“Yup, it’s on my desk,” I simply say, focusing on the road.

 

“Okay, will get it. Thanks. By the way, did you tell Hye Kyo about the dinner, yet?”

 

“Not yet,” I say, not really intending to tell her. My father wants me to invite her to our monthly family dinner, but I don’t want her to witness how dramatic my family can get during those dinners. She doesn’t need to experience another family drama when she already has her own problems to deal with.

 

“You need to tell her, Joong Ki. You know Appa’s expecting her,” he says. Of course, he will always side with Appa.

 

“Okay, fine. But I can’t promise she’d say yes,” I say. There’s no use arguing.

 

“Okay. And one more thing, are you still on the road? Can you please drop by Starbucks and buy me a Caramel Macchiato? You know how much I hate it when my secretary makes it for me and I kind of need caffeine in my system now. I think I’m going to die of exhaustion,” he says and I laugh. He really can’t last a day without coffee.

 

“Sure, hyung. I’m also craving for some coffee now. I’m hanging up, I’ll be there soon.” I say while parking the car in front of the coffee shop nearby.

 

--- 

*SHK’s POV*

 

I get out from Ah In’s car still annoyed that he insisted on me not bringing my own car. I straighten my dress and fix my coat first, then turn to him who is still focused on his phone. “I really don’t get why I’m not allowed to bring a car, it’s not like I can’t drive,” I say, rolling my eyes at him and he glances up. “And besides, don’t you have to pick up Yumi from her house?”

 

“Well, first, it’s to make sure that you really attend the party and not cancel on us at the last minute like you sometimes do, and second, it’s to make sure that you don’t escape in the middle of the party like you always do,” he says and I glare at him. I soo do not do those.. Well, uh, maybe I kinda do, like today (I was actually planning on not attending since I’ve had a tough day at the office and am very tired) but not always.

 

“It might be the last time in a very long time that we’ll be this complete, so, we’re all partying ‘til morning here, no one’s going home early,” he says and I nod, getting where he’s coming from. Yes, finding time for all of us to hang out is difficult already considering our schedules, how much more difficult will it be with Il Jung going abroad to manage some family business? This is definitely going to be an all-nighter.

 

“And I don’t have to worry about Yumi since she hitched a ride with Hyo Joo. I think they’re already here,” he says and offers his arm.

 

“Shall we?” he asks, expectantly and despite my sulkiness, I took hold of it. As we get near the restobar, I notice how dim it is inside. Is it normally like this? Or is it part of the party?

 

We are at the door when Ah In stops and gestures for me to enter before him. “Ladies first,” he says and I look at him weirdly. Why is he extra gentlemanly tonight? I shake my head at him and open the door when I get startled by a popping sound and glittery confetti raining down on me. My free hand instantly flies to my chest in surprise.

 

“Surprise!!!!” everyone shouts as the room brightens and I look around, my eyes still adjusting to the light.

 

“W-what is all this?” I ask, still stunned and look back at Ah In who only grins at my reaction. Finally, Lee Jin steps out from the crowd and hugs me.

 

“We wanted to surprise you. Belated happy birthday!” she says and I look around at the happy faces of my friends, who each gives me a hug, and some acquaintances, the posh decorations and all the colorful drinks that are ready to be served.

 

“Wow, you prepared all of this for me?” I ask and Soo Jin answers. “Of course, it’s the first time that we’re getting to celebrate your birthday, so we decided to make it special.”

 

“We’re glad you finally agreed to celebrate it,” Ji Won says, breaking hold of her boyfriend Jingoo to hug me.

 

“We’ll, it’s not like I have a choice,” I say while shooting Lee Jin a look and they laugh. Around us, the 30 or so guests resume partying and enjoying the cocktail party.

 

“And speaking of special, where is Joong Ki? Why didn’t you bring him?” Ji Won asks.

 

“Oh, he’s busy with work,” I say, remembering what he said about his packed schedule. I actually did not think of inviting him since he might not want to meet my friends anyway. Despite us turning into friends, this is still a fake engagement and as much as possible, I don’t want us getting involved with the constants of each other’s lives. That will save us some headache later on when it’s time to break off the fake engagement.

 

“Are you sure?” Hyo Joo asks, raising an eyebrow at me.

 

“Yes, he might even be buried in paperwork as we’re speaking,” I say confidently knowing how much of a workaholic he is and how dedicated he is to making the partnership between our companies a success.

 

“How sure are you?”  Yezi asks and I start to get annoyed. Why are they interrogating me?

 

“I am 100% sure,” I say smugly, wanting this topic to end. Seriously, don’t they trust me?

 

“Then, why is he standing right there, talking to Jasper?” Lee Jin says and I shake my head. Even she’s siding with them?

 

“Aish, stop teasing me!” I say, annoyed now. They really like to tease me. I usually let it go, but considering how exhausted I feel now, I don’t think I have the patience to deal with all this teasing.

 

“We’re not. He’s really here,” Yezi says and I turn around, wanting for them to stop.

 

“I’m telling you guys he isn’t….” I stop dead from my tracks when I see him, true to Lee Jin’s words, speaking with Jasper. He finally sees me then excuses himself while Jasper taps his back to head towards my girlfriends and mine’s direction.

 

Wearing a plaid button down shirt folded just below the elbows and black denim pants, he stops in front of me and smiles. “Sorry, I’m late,” he says and stand there, still shocked that he’s here.

 

“W-what are you doing here? Who invited you?” I ask really clueless as to how he knew about the party since I didn’t mention it to him and we don’t really have the much common friends. He was talking to Jasper earlier, is it possible that it was him who invited Joong Ki? But how? They didn’t even know one another, based on what I know.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter