Pleasant surprises

Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*SHK's POV*

"So, how was 'the date'?" Lee Jin asks over the phone, she called asking me for my opinion on which accessories she should use for an event she'll be attending next week. 

"It was okay," I say as I rummage my closet for something to nice to wear tomorrow. I spot the mini-dress I bought a week ago and smile, remembering Joong Ki's strong opposition to short-lengthed skirts. 

"Just 'okay'? Don't you have anything else to tell me?" she demands and I softly laugh. My best friend can really be demanding sometimes.

"Well, he took me to Nami Next Door, which, for me, means that he has great taste when it comes to food, and he made me do all those cheesy stuff he says "normal couples" usually do," I roll my eyes, remembering the memory. "I mean, can you believe he made me pose for a wacky selfie then posted it on facebook?!"

"Why? What's the problem? I don't see anything wrong with that. Normal couples do stuff like that, even I and my boyfriend do that," she says

"Well, Hae Jin would find that childish," I say and I immediately reconsider what I just said after remembering the picture I saw yesterday. Maybe his views changed?

"In case you forgot, Joong Ki's not Hae Jin," Lee Jin says. "And besides, if you want people to believe you're really engaged, you have to do stuff like those. Cheesy or not."

"Okay, fine. I get it." I don't want to argue anymore. I know she'll just prove her point further anyway. 

"Oh, I just remembered. Someone's turning 26 in a few days" she singsongs. "What's the plan? Where are we going to celebrate?"

"You know I don't celebrate my birthday," I utter.

"Still? But it's been so long. And you're already getting old," she says and I cut her off.

"26's not that old," I argue. Like she's not 26 already, duh. Well if I'm old, then she's older.

"Fine. So, is it a yes? Let's celebrate! Woohoo!"

"No."

"But Hye Kyo, it's your birthday!" she whines.

"And so?" I challenge.

"We should be celebrating your existence!" she insists and I sigh.

"I'm still not comfortable with it. Celebrating I mean, when... Look, can we not talk about this?" I say, not really comfortable talking about the topic. This is still a senstive issue for me.

"Fine. No celebration ON your birthday, but we still should hold a celebration AFTER it." she says and I sigh again. My best friend is unrelenting.

"Fine!" I say and I hear her scream a "Yes!" on the phone, making my ear hurt. 

"I have to go, I still have to call Eomma, you know how much she worries even when abroad," she says and I nod. "Talk to you again soon, love ya!"

"Araso, love you, too!" I say and hang up.

I am about to pick another dress from its hanger when my phone rings again. Aigoo, Lee Jin can be so clingy sometimes.

"What?! Miss me already? Aish, jinjja," I joke

"Yes I do," a male voice answers and I almost drop my phone in surprise. I check the caller ID and my eyes widen as I read that it is "Big Boss" on the other line.

"Uh, sorry. I thought it was Lee Jin," I say defensively and feel my face burning in embarrassment. That should tell you to check the name of the caller first before answering, Hye Kyo.

Joong Ki laughs over the phone. “I think you’re just making an excuse. You only want to hear me saying I miss you.” he says, my heart beating loudly against my chest upon hearing the last three words.

“No, I am not!” I argue. Why are people teasing me today? First Lee Jin, now him.

“Yes, you are.” He says. Argh! How annoying. I am not in the mood for this. “Why is it so hard for you to admit?” Argh! I am not dealing with this.

 

“I. Am. Not! Argh! Why do I even bother? This is so annoying. I am hanging up now. Good bye!” I yell and end the call, flinging my phone on the bed as I enter my bedroom. I light some candles to calm myself and take a deep breath. Inhale, exhale Hye Kyo. I might not hate Joong Ki that much anymore, but still he can really get into my nerves sometimes.

 

Glancing at my bed, I see my phone lighting up again. Can he just leave me alone? Aish, this man. Doesn’t he still get the message that aside from fulfilling my part in the agreement, I don’t want to have anything to do with him? I stomp my way to my bed and grab my phone, ready to turn it off when I accidentally open the message and read it.

 

“I’m sorry. I was just kidding. Forgive me?” it says and I ignore it. Forgive your face, Joong Ki.

 

Big Boss: Please?

 

Nope, still not replying.

 

Big Boss: :( :( :(

 

As if that would appease me. No. Nuh-uh.

 

Big Boss: I promise to be good. Please?

 

Aish!!!

 

Beauty: What do you want?

 

Big Boss: So, you finally forgive me? I just called to ask if you received what I sent to your office earlier.

 

I immediately soften remembering what happened earlier. I was so busy I forgot to call and thank him. My day was jam-packed with meetings. I just got out from one with the board, starving, and was planning to buy a meal when my secretary told me that I had a package waiting for me in my office. Since I was not really expecting anything, I was puzzled about what it contained and who it could be from.

 

I opened the box, very surprised to see that it was filled with Tteokbokki, Hoeddeok, Odeng and almost every street food goodie I could ever think of. My mouth watered and my tummy growled with happiness upon seeing my favorites. Wow, for someone who’s famished like me, it feels like heaven to be surprised with what you’re craving for. I was about to wonder who sent them when I find a note sticking on one of the sides of the box.

 

Heard you’re going to be very busy today. I hope you don’t forget to eat. –Joong Ki

 

“Oh, he’s so sweet and thoughtful, Ma’am” my secretary squealed peeking over my shoulder to read the note. I can only nod is agreement, not really knowing how to react. Since he sent so much food that even my starving self couldn’t finish, I ended up sharing them with my secretary and the rest of my team.

 

Beauty: Yes. Sorry I forgot to call. Been very busy. But thank you.

Big boss: Yes you forgive me, or yes you received my package?

I roll my eyes.

Beauty: Yes to both.

Big boss: That’s a relief. I was really thinking my assistant ended up gobbling everything up and did not deliver it to you.

Ha-ha. Very funny. I am about to reply when another text message arrives.

Big boss: Did you like it?

Beauty: Very much. Thank you. J   

I reply, finding myself smiling, too. I grab the book that I’ve been reading and start to continue where I left off when my phone lights up again.

Big boss: What are you doing?

Beauty: Reading. You?

Big boss: Really? On a Friday night?

Beauty: What, you don’t believe me?

What is he implying? That I’m a liar?!

Big boss: Hmm, send me a picture.

He texts and I scowl. What on earth does a picture have to do with our conversation?

Beauty: Why?

Big boss: To prove that you’re really at home and not just saying that when in fact, you’re out, partying.

Beauty: I don’t have to prove things to you.

Big boss: You don’t, but that’s what couples do. They send selfies to one another.

Oh, he did not just go there. No way am I submitting myself to make that cheesy action. I choose not to reply and he sends another text message.

Big boss: What if one of your father’s spies happen to grab a hold of our phones and find nothing? Don’t you think that would seem suspicious?

Does he really expect me to believe him? Another text message arrives.

Big boss: Or are you afraid of sending a selfie because you’re not wearing any makeup and you only look good with makeup?

Oh no, he did not…. Another message.

Big boss: I’m right, aren’t I? You’re just disguising everything with makeup, but in truth… Aish, jinjja. Am I really engaged to an ugly girl?

Okay that’s it! I've had enough! I snap a quick photo of myself and send it to him. Ugly, huh. Who’s ugly?

 

 

Beauty: Happy now?

Big boss: Very. So, you really are at home. And you still look beautiful even without makeup.

I roll my eyes. Of course I am.

Beauty: Wow, it took you so long to realize that, huh. Now it’s your turn.

Big boss: My turn to what?

Beauty: To send me a picture. What are you doing anyway?

Big boss: Why? I’m hanging out with friends.

Beauty: Wow, are you that bored with them that you’re texting me right now?

Big boss: Kind of. We’re just catching up, and you’re more fun to talk to ;)

My heart skips a bit upon reading his reply. So sly, Joong Ki.

Beauty: All the more you need to send me a picture. How would I be sure that you’re really with your friends, just catching up and not out on a date with another girl?

Big boss: Why? Are you jealous?

Aish, this guy. Can’t he just comply? Does he really have to annoy me first?

Beauty: In your dreams. I am only asking you for the sake of our engagement. What if one of YOUR father’s spies happen to grab a hold of our phones and find nothing? Don’t you think that would seem suspicious?

I reply, borrowing his words from earlier.

Big boss: You’re always in my dreams.

He replies and I groan. This guy is so frustrating. I am about to give up and just resume reading when he replies. I open the message and see his face up close. A selfie. He sent me a selfie. And he kinda looks cute in it. Wait, what?

 

Beauty: A selfie? Wow, you’re really hiding something, aren’t you?

I tease.

Big boss: The lighting’s not that good inside. But if you insist, wait. I’ll send you another.

 

Big boss: See? Don't I look handsome? You must really have a crush on me now.

Aish. He is forever vain. I roll my eyes for the nth time tonight.

Beauty: Ha-ha. Very funny. Okay, so you're not lying. I'm going to sleep now. Good night!

Big boss: What? No good night kiss? Good night, beauty. Sweet dreams.

I roll my eyes then smile as I read his message. How did I ever end up meeting this person? I compose a last message, hesitating whether I should send it or not, but then decided to do the former. Okay, here goes, I tell myself as I press send, place the phone on my bedside table and close my eyes.

"Stay safe," the text says.

--- 

*SJK’s POV*

It’s a Thursday night and I’m still at the office studying some documents needed for the partnership with SGC. I’ve been quite very busy these days, there’s so much to attend to, but I’m not complaining. I’m finally getting the chance to show to Appa that I can also make him proud.

 

Plus, he has become a bit warm to me these days. It must be because of the engagement and the coming merging. Yes, he still critiques almost everything I do and still tells me to “be like your In Sung hyung,” but it has become less frequent.

 

I glance at my wristwatch, noting that it’s almost 12 midnight. I decide to take a short break and stretch my neck, releasing as much tension as I could. I wonder what Hye Kyo is doing now? I am thinking of texting her, but decide against it. She must be asleep by now.

 

During the past week, we have gotten along a bit well. We would text one another from time to time or rather I would annoy her from time to time until she has no other chance but to reply to me. I couldn’t help it, I like teasing her. She gets annoyed so easily.

 

 I have also come to realize that she isn’t as snobby as what I initially thought. We even had another “lunch date,” though it wasn’t quite as eventful as the first. There were still the usual bickering and banters, though, which I find really interesting. I like that she doesn’t back down easily, other girls would just say yes to everything that I say, which is quite boring.

 

I shake my head thinking of all the times she rolled her eyes and glared at me whenever I would challenge her, then would proceed to presenting everything that she thinks would show that she is right. Aish, that woman.

 

I am about to go back reading the papers when my phone rings, signaling a call from an unregistered number. Who could it be? I answer to check. Who knows? It might be very important.

 

“Yeoboseyo?” I say, leaning on my swivel chair.

 

“Yeoboseyo? Song Joong Ki?” the voice on the other line says. A girl. Who could she be?

 

“Yes, speaking. Who’s this?” I ask, curious now.

 

“This is Lee Jin, Hye Kyo’s best friend and Jong Suk’s sister. I got your number from my brother,” she says. Okay, I remember her, she’s the only one who knows about our plan aside from Hye Kyo and me. What is this call about?

 

“Oh, yes. I know you. Yes, Lee Jin, what seems to be the problem?” I ask, waiting for her to respond.

 

“It’s Hye Kyo,” she says and I immediately sit upright.

 

“What happened to Hye Kyo? Is she alright?” I worriedly ask while imagining all the worst case scenarios in my head.

 

“Uh, I’m not sure. She called me a while back, I think she’s drunk. She was saying gibberish things like the stars and Hae Jin,” she says and I clutch the armrest of my chair hard. “Her father’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter