Eight

Turning The Sphere

another unedited and quick-write, sigh.

2.5k


 

Sana’s father is still not talking to her. Her calls rejected. Her messages unread. Sana even go as far as emailing him. But still; radio silence. It’s already been two days.

But it’s also the tenth week. Sana puts off all the thoughts of her father—he will get there, she believes—and sits at the edge of her bed. She opens her drawer and picks up her week-to-week pregnancy guidelines book. She’s keeping up with it because seeing how fast the baby grows . . . is the most fascinating thing ever.

And The Most Fascinating Thing Ever is happening in her belly. If that isn’t magical, she doesn’t know what is.

Bean is now a fetus. A grin line automatically forms on . Fetus already develops fingernails. Fingernails! Things about babies that always fascinated her is how freaking small their fingernails are. She imagines fetus’s fingernails, trying to estimate the size with her thumb. Smaller, she thinks, way smaller. She takes a pink marker and jots a dot on her nail. Smaller than this.

“Woaahh!” She squeals, admiring the dot on her nail. Thank God, Nayeon isn’t here to judge her.

She reads some more.

The fetus also develops eyelids. She sighs happily. Both her and Mingyu have eyelids so the baby must be sporting some too. And they are good looking parents. Their gene is insane.

Sana blinks as she realizes. Did she just think what she thinks? Her mind takes a detour and wanders to how Mingyu looks these days. He dyed his hair light brown last week. He’s tall. Well, he’s always a tower but as they spent a lot of time standing side by side these days, she realizes how small she is compared to him. His face is above average. His manly jawline, his smile showing his canine teeth . . .

Okay, fine, he’s hot. And she’s admitting this now only because he’s been a good partner. Had this been two months ago, her mind will conjure up an image of his face meshing with the ugliest ape.

So the baby is lucky. And they are lucky parents as well, because they are going to have the most good-looking baby in the world.

She can’t wait to see him. Or her. Doesn’t matter.

If her baby is a boy, Sana is willing to name him Jeonghan. Because Jeonghan is a saviour, a god-sent, and up until Bean is born anyway, he is the most beautiful human being ever graces the planet.

“I would make out with you.” Sana takes another hungry bite of the apple crumbles muffin. “I would make out with you so hard.”

Jeonghan rolls his eyes, like it’s a daily thing someone desires to make out with him. Which is probably true. “Stop harassing me, Sana. Just eat the goddamn muffin.” He takes the almost empty tray of bakery goodness and places it at the other side of the table to make spaces for papers, books and laptops.

Sana has two assignments to submit this week. Nayeon has three. Jeonghan has none. He’s not the last-minute kind. And for him to come here with muffins and donuts when he doesn’t have to . . . sigh, he’s an angel.

“Do you guys need help?” He asks. Such an angel.

Sana can’t answer, she has a mouthful of muffin, so she just shakes her head. Nayeon doesn’t move, not even to acknowledge Jeonghan sitting beside her, except for her fingers tapping furiously fast on the keyboard.

“Okay. . .” Jeonghan takes out his phone, occupying himself.

It’s not even five minutes pass before another person takes the seat next to Sana, in front of Nayeon.

Seungcheol.

“Is this seat taken?” He asks.

Nayeon finally looks up at the sound of his voice.

“You already sit, dude.” Jeonghan says. He picks up the tray again. “Here, have some.”

“He can’t. He’s allergic of egg.”  

All eyes are on Nayeon.

“I’m our college’s forum’s admin remember? I know everything.”

“She does.” Seungcheol agrees expressionlessly, not missing a beat as though this is a fact he and Nayeon had agreed on before.

Then, Nayeon naturally pushes her coffee cup forwards to Seungcheol. As if it’s a choreographed routine, he fishes something in his duffel bag. Milk candies. He puts a handful besides her laptop.

Sana and Jeonghan watch the interchange silently. They watch as Seungcheol sips on the cup and Nayeon unwraps the candy and pops it in . They do this while holding eye contact, like they taunt if it’s poisoned.

Seungcheol speaks first after a sip. “You’ve been avoiding me.”

“You’re just highly avoidable. You skip classes.” Nayeon says this while typing, still chewing on the candy. Sana actually wonders if she types right or just typing .

They drop the topic and casually go back to work. Seungcheol starts setting his books—still looking new—and laptop. He seems like he’s going to stay here long. Sana never talked to the guy before. They know each other, but never even said as much of a hello.

She shares a look with Jeonghan, communicating with their eyes. It goes a little comical with Jeonghan keeps tilting his head as a sign to leave the two alone and Sana wiggles her shoulders, refuses to move her body from waist down. She also keeps pointing on the muffins and donuts, hinting she will not leave without them. It ends with Jeonghan rolling her eyes, looking so done.

So they stay.

It’s not even ten minutes passed when someone taps on the end of their table. When Sana looks up, she freezes for about two seconds before she blinks cluelessly. After about a month of completely not passing in her mind, at the end of the table, standing squarely is her sometimes-crush. Jeon Wonwoo.

“Hey guys, sorry for interrupting. I’m passing around survey of our Chess Club for our participation at the end of the year’s festival.” He passes along a single A4 size paper. Sana takes it but is still looking at him. He’s talking some more and she doesn’t hear him.

Chess Club, she thinks as her eyes linger to his glasses. She never thought he’s part of some nerdict games. She never thought of him as someone who even wears glasses. That’s not even bad things, but it’s amazing how she never knew he has this side when she used to have a crush on him.

When her eyes trail to the paper, pretending to read, she realizes something. Did she just think what she thinks she think? Used to? When did she stop crushing?

She reads the three simple questions quickly and circles her preferences. When she passes the paper back to him, he smiles.

“Sana, right?”

Look at that, now that her heart no longer flutters for him, he finally notices her existence.

She nods.

“Mingyu is at the next shop. In case you don’t know.”

She shakes her head, not because she doesn’t know, but because she really doesn’t have to know.

Since when is her existence being stringed along with Mingyu’s? Sure they are about to co-parent, but come on . . .

Wonwoo thanks them and walks away.

Sana shrugs and turns to their table again. She finds three pair of eyes staring at her. “Why are you guys staring at me?”

Seungcheol shrugs. “I don’t know. I’m staring because they are.”

Nayeon ignores him. “That’s your crush,” she points out, maybe because of her lack of fangirling.

“I don’t feel it anymore.”

“Wow. Is it because of Mingyu?” Jeonghan takes turn talking.

Sana balks. “Why Mingyu?”

“You spent a lot of time with him lately.”

“Few hours on random days are hardly a lot of time,” Sana argues. Though, she knows she’s spewing lies. There’s a lot of hours than just a few.

“That’s a lot for you two.”

Sana steadies her composure, trying to appear nonchalant. “We’re friending,” she decides. As her mind unwillingly wanders to the time they spent together—when he rub her back as she heaved into the toilet bowl, when he gave her a wink to light up the moment, when she caught him looking at her tummy as if it’s a wonder, when he had been nothing but supportive to her—she smiles. Her fingers hover on the keyboard, for some reason, regaining back her energetic system. “We’re friending very well.”

 

After shower, she gets a text message from Mingyu. She’s running the towel on her hair as she reads it.

 

Are you at the dorm?

 

She replies a quick yes before bending over to wrap the towel around her head.

 

I’m coming over x

 

She frowns. Why? And what’s with the kiss? She laughs about it anyway. Dude is the biggest flirt, even to his ex-archenemy.

She doesn’t even bother to change her pajama or drying her hair when Mingyu texts her to go down to meet him just minutes later.

“Aren’t you cold?” He skips the greeting entirely.

Sana walks the three steps towards him. “Hey. No. ‘Sup?”

He runs his eyes up and down her length, before meeting her eyes. He holds her eyes for a bit before he clears his throat. “You look . . .” he pauses as if hesitating, “you look cute.”

Sana looks down her body.

“What is that? Ice-cream cone?” He asks, pointing on the printing of her pajama.

“Strawberry ice-cream.”

He on his lips. “Now I want some.” He says this while staring right at her.

It must be the warm weather because for some reason, she feels slightly heated. She doesn’t want to think of why.

He clears his throat again. He rubs on his sideburn, looking around awkwardly. “Anyway, I’m just dropping by. I bought you a pillow.”

“A pillow?” That’s unexpected.

He opens his backseat door and brings out a bag of white pillow. It looks big, round, and goddamn fluffy. “Shouldn’t be heavy,” he says as he passes it to her.

Sana stares at it, and then to the price tag. He scratched it though, must be not wanting to let her know, but the fluffier a pillow, the pricier it is. “Why do you buy me a pillow?”

“You might get a little uncomfortable to sleep the longer you are into the pregnancy. I mean, it’s still long way to go to the time you might not be able to sleep, but maybe it’s okay to get used to be comfortable, I don’t know, but—“

Sana smiles as she cuts him, “Mingyu, you are starting to ramble. Why are you rambling?”

He rubs his nape. “It’s a good pillow.” He points at it. “It’s a moon shape. You’re going to like it.”

She studies the pillow. No wonder it’s big and round. It’s a folded moon-shaped. “Thank you. That’s very thoughtful. I never pegged you as someone who cares about how comfortable a girl is in bed. Oh wait, you do.” She teases and he scoffs, easing away from his slightly awkward stances earlier.

“Shut up. How are you today? And Bean, how is my Bean?”

And the heat in her is back. She can practically feel her heart melts. He just called their baby his Bean. That got to be the sweetest thing she ever heard from him. And combined with the pillow, sigh, he’s one sweet guy. How did she never see this side of him?

Her face can’t be more expressive, she actually wears happiness on her features. “Bean has eyelids and fingernails now.”

And so is his face. “Woah, does that mean Bean has limbs?”

“I think so. Amazing isn’t it? And his is developing too.”

His palm reaches up to cover his mouth, trying to supress his obvious excitement. “She’s not Bean anymore.”

Sana no longer stays with a gender because she thinks it’s discriminating. The baby can be a he right now, next hour she will be a she. “He’s the size of tomato, so he’s Tomato now.” The baby is also an actively transforming plant.

“Let’s call her Tom.”

She grins. It’s really getting easier for them to agree with each other. She absentmindedly reaches up to rub her tummy. She doesn’t know whether she’s at the time when mothers starting to have bump, or maybe it’s just her gaining weight, but she likes resting her hand there lately and gives it a soothing run of fingers.

“Is there a bump now?”

“I don’t think it’s the baby bump. I might just getting fat though.”

“You’re not fat, baby bird.”

“Why do you call me that?” This is starting to become an inside question.

“You talk a lot. You chirp.” He gives her a teasing grin. “Chirp, chirp, chirp.”

Sana rolls her eyes. He will never tell her why exactly he calls her that. But nevermind, she will keep asking.

“You need to get back inside. It’s getting cold.”

She’s not cold but there’s about no reason to stand here chatting with him for no longer so she agrees. “Thanks for the pillow, Mingyu.”

His canine teeth are showing as he grins and Sana doesn’t know why that gives a little fluttery to her heart. She might just have a thing for teeth, you never know.

“You’re welcome. No kiss for me?”

She blinks. He’s still grinning flirtily.

He’s such a big flirt alright. But she’s lying if she’s not—she swallows—tempted.

He pouts. “Fine, no kiss. You don’t have to look so offend—“

She’s already on the move when he talks and rises on her tiptoes with her hand on his nape, drawing her down to her—because dude is ing giant—before planting a peck on his cheek.

When she draws back, he’s frozen.

“Now you look offended.” She teases because if she doesn’t talk, he might hear her heart beating so freaking wildly. “You’ve been very sweet when you don’t even have to. I’m impressed. Thanks . . . dude,” she finishes, just to make sure this remains platonic.

He exhales. The bob on his throat is visibly showing his large gulp. “Um . . . yeah, thanks. I mean, yeah, welcome.”

She takes a few steps back. “I’m going up. Drive safely . . . dude.” Jeez, she needs to stop before this is turning even more awkward. “Goodnight.”

He nods. “Goodnight, baby bird.”

She walks away and then turns to walk backward. “Why do you call me that?”

“Your kiss sounds like a chirp.” He’s grinning again. “Watch your step!”

She laughs before disappearing into the hallway of the dorm. When she reaches the top stairs, she hears the booming sounds of his engine and only then she exhales a long air of breath.

Damn, what was that? She really did give him a kiss?

Friending as .

​​​​

 


 

I hope you can bear reading something i totally gave no checking. but still a fun write tbh, because did you all see them standing side by side?? omgosh my biasesss and the height difference!!

 

thanks for reading.