Ten

Turning The Sphere

 

3.1k


“Have you and Mingyu discussed plan? That boy has been very vague to me.” His mother tskes as she pours herself a coffee. She’s running late and doesn’t even have time to sit for breakfast so it’s just Sana and the grandparents seated at the huge table.

“We haven’t. I have my own plan, though. I assumed me and Mingyu can sync it the further along I am. We’re only going to co-parent anyway.” Sana picks another toast. She doesn’t exactly have cravings, but she really likes breads lately. The plain ones. No jam, no butter. She takes a crunchy bite. Mm, the best.

“When is your next appointment?” The grandmother asks. The grandfather still stays silent. All he does is hums in response to whatever his wife asks her, like he doesn’t pay attention to anything in particular. Sana actually feels a little comfortable because of that. She feels disapproved, but then again, she isn’t here to be approved. Not like she’s dating Mingyu. And she’s hungry so she has to stay eating.

“Next two weeks. We’re going to see if we can scan the gender as well.”

“Do you have preference?” Mingyu’s mother already gathers her briefcase and steals a toast.

“I don’t. Mingyu, though, prefers a girl.”

“We know. He told us.”

“That boy and his love for girls . . .”

Sana chews slower. She realizes by that statement, that his family is aware of Mingyu’s lifestyle. You know, the sleeping around thing.

“I slept with him totally by mistake,” she blurts out without thinking. “But it’s not—I mean, I didn’t really do that—and I knew him before that so it’s not like it’s anonymous and I totally didn’t expect to get knocked up, and we did remember protection and oh boy, stop me from talking.”

Cue the very awkward silence. Mingyu’s mother actually pauses mid-walk and everybody stares at Sana.

Sana swallows. She wants to dig a hole and bury herself in there and will only come out when everyone grows old and dies, but that’s not an option. It’s true that she’s not here to impress, but bringing talk involving one of the family members is just pushing it. All she wanted to say is, she’s not one of those girls. Not that there’s anything wrong with girls liking , but she’s just simply not one of his girls who slipped into his bed whenever there’s a chance.

The grandfather hums, almost grunting.

“I’m not trapping him,” Sana concludes with a sigh. She needs saving but stupid Mingyu is gone for more than half an hour now, damn it.

“We know, Miss Mizari, Mingyu told us all. You don’t have to worry,” the grandmother reassures. “He told us about you wanting to abort at first, but couldn’t do it. You wouldn’t think of that if you wanted to trap him now, don’t you?”

His mother nods with a look of understanding.

Sana looks down to her plate. “Okay. But you guys do know you don’t have to be nice to me, right? I don’t feel deserving. Seeing as I made you guys, you, Ms Kim, especially, being a grandmother too young. I’m sorry. We really didn’t mean it.”

Well, even though they have been nice to her, she figures an apology is still appropriate.

“We know. And that’s fine, we had come to accept it that this is our reality now.”

Sana nods. The breakfast resumes, and Mingyu’s mother finally gets to leave. It’s still awkward, probably the most awkward breakfast ever, until the grandfather finally talks.

“Minatozaki,” he says.

Sana and the grandmother look up.

“Yes?” Sana answers.

He clears his throat, frowning that frown old people usually have at his bowl of oats, and then to his wife. “I’m saying her first name is Minatozaki, not Mizari.”

Sana blinks. So he has been paying attention.

It’s ten in the morning. The grandparents are out to run errands. Mingyu is making himself a brunch. When Sana watched by the counter when he shredded the chicken , she drooled and she asked him to make it two servings. So double the works he has now.

Sana does nothing but still kicking herself. “It was sooooo awkward.”

“You said that for the fifth time now. You’re going to kill me for the second-hand embarrassment so stop, I need to finish making this. I’m hungry. I can’t die if I’m hungry.”

“You actually can, though.” Sana ignores his glaring. “But seriously, what if they started to hate me?”

“Can anyone even hate you?”

You could.”

He blinks like he just remembers, but he shrugs and turns to open the cupboard. When his back muscles flex, she studies them again. He really has magnificent behind. What with that fitting black long sleeve shirt, with the sleeves rolled up to his forearm. When he turns back again, it breaks her ogling. Because opposite of his manly back, on his front, he has strawberry-shortcakes patterned apron.

“Maybe you should lose that apron,” she suggests without filtering.

He looks down. “Too girly?”

“Just not fitting.”

“Fitting with what?”

“Your manliness.”

“So it’s too girly.”

“Nah. Or maybe the shirt? There’s a chef on youtube cooking only in his boxer.”

Where exactly is this conversation going?

“Are you suggesting me to strip to my boxer?”

“No . . .” Except that it’s tempting. “Just shirtless but with apron on.”

He leers at her. “Wow, didn’t realize my baby bird is .”

She laughs, just to conceal her embarrassment. “It’s a trend! Guys do that when they cook. You can do it too.”

“You do realize you’re objectifying me, right?”

“Well, you’re in my view. Might as well make it better.” She tilts her head sideway and bats her lashes. What the is she doing?

He puts away his knife and props his hands on the counter. He scrutinizes her in amusement. “Minatozaki Sana, are you flirting with me?”

Yes, that’s what she’s doing. Flirting. Her face swarms with heat. She covers it with her palms. She can’t believe she just flirted with Kim Mingyu. “I’m sorry. I’m pregnant.”

He laughs hard. “Not complaining.” He picks back his knife and back to chopping. This time he chops on broccoli. “We’ve really come a long way, aren’t we?”

“Too far long.”

“In a short time.” He smiles. “Anyway, about my family, they are aware of my life. Not at all encouraging, but I was too stubborn to listen,” he says, pouring the chopped veges into a strainer before walking to the sink. He washes them. “You don’t have to justify yourself, you don’t owe it to anyone. And they’ll get over it, so don’t worry.”

Today, it feels like her mind is going everywhere. From one thought to another and there’s seemed to be a disconnection on her filter. From that talk, she somehow diverting to another thought. And she can’t stop herself from asking it. “Are you still sleeping around?”

His shoulders set into a straight line. He pauses whatever he’s doing and takes about few seconds to look up. Then he looks away again. “No.”

She doesn’t know why she feels . . . relief, as though she’s entitled to feel so. “Since when?”

He really takes time answering. He pours the vegetables into a bowl, and then the shredded chicken , and then the dressing. “Since last month.”

She almost falls off from her stool. “Really? Wow! That’s a really long time.” For a Kim Mingyu.

“And that’s surprising because?” He actually looks hurt. “I’m capable of zipping up my pants however long I want.”

Sana watches him as he splits the salad into two bowls. After he puts her plate in front of her and he takes the seat and starts eating, that’s when she says, “I guess I really don’t know you. I assumed so many things wrongly.”

His mouth is full. He’s still avoiding eye contact when he speaks, “well, to be fair, your assumption is correct, I mean, I can’t deny my reputation.”

A realization comes to her, making her gasping. “Oh my god, did you stop because . . . because you got me pregnant?” Because according to timeline, he knew about her pregnancy last month too.

“It just doesn’t feel right.” He swallows. “There were opportunities, but I just couldn’t bring it past make-out.”

Sana notices he doesn’t answer her question outright. “Why?”

He looks like he lost all his appetite. He puts aside his salad, which he only takes one forkful off. Hers, is still untouched.

She wonders if she brings up wrong conversation again. Another talk. Another table with foods. She’s so inadequate, but she really wants to know.

“Do you . . . sleep . . . with anyone? After you find out you’re pregnant?” His face ashen as he asks.

No. That’s just . . . weird.” Sleeping with someone else while pregnant with someone else’s baby. That’s not weird, that’s simply dirty.

“Same. It’s strange to sleep with other girl when I’m about to have a baby with another girl.” He probably sees something on her face because he cuts her, “Nope. This is not the same as I reject booze because you don’t get to have any. This isn’t about being fair, it’s just simply weird.”

She nods. “Fine, I agree.”

“Good.”

They continue eating. At one point, his leg bumps on hers. They look up to each other. He moves away his leg. They continue eating again until her legs uncrossed and the left one rests on one of his. They both stare at each other, still chewing. But no one moves their leg.

“Do you want to go out after this?”

She takes her glass of water and sips on it. “Where to?”

His other leg stretches out to the outer side of her right one, caging both of her legs in his. “Just out. Drive around.”

It’s intentional she bets, as he crosses his ankles, hugging and trapping her feet in them. ing long legs. Sana has to make herself comfortable by crossing her ankles too. She doesn’t know why it doesn’t cross her mind to just move away her legs.

“I want ice-cream.”

He grins. “Now we’re talking. I want strawberry ice-cream like in your pajama.”

“I don’t even like strawberry ice cream.” His face scrunches as he takes another to his strawberry ice cream cone. “This is all because of your goddamn pajama.”

They went out two hours ago, after he picked up TJ from school and she looked after Thing and they waited until their mother—Mingyu’s aunt—to come for them. She, then, took them home, promising the grandparents that she and her husband is having a truce.

Now, Sana and Mingyu are sitting in his car because he won’t drive with a melting ice-cream on his other hand.

“Yes, blame it on my pajama. Next time, I’ll wear the one with frog’s print. Let’s see if you’ll drool over them too.”

He laughs. “Smartass.”

She ends up finishing her mint-choc ice-cream and half of his ice-cream he couldn’t finish. If she’ll get fat, she knows who to blame.

They drive to a mall. Because she told him his hair is long last night, they end up getting their hair trimmed. Together, because Mingyu told her, her hair is long too. They stand by the rail and judge everyone’s fashion. She buys him a basketball throw pillow to be funny and he names it Basketball Throw Pillow just to be annoying. Then they end up in baby store.

He picks up a pair of pink, Hello Kitty shoes. “Can you believe there are human with feet this small?”

“Oh gosh, and can you imagine their fingernails? Smaller than small.”

He puts back the shoes, shuddering. “A little mind- over there.”

He keeps picking up pink stuffs. Pink dress, pink hats, pink socks.

“You know Tom could be a boy too, right?”

“I know.” He puts back the little pink mittens so cute Sana wants to bite them. “But who decides only girls can wear pink?”

Sana tilts up her chin at him and smiles. He’s being amazing again. If he keeps doing this, he could become unreal.

“Hey, look at this one!” He pulls out a bird onesie. “Baby bird. Like mommy.”

It’s the cutest onesie ever, with its flapping sleeves and beaks on its hood. And it just fitting for it to be a baby bird. “This is so cute! But is it convenient if I ask why do you call me baby bird now?”

Seeing as how fascinated he is towards the onesie, one he’s interested to put on his baby, she concludes baby bird is really a term of endearment. He already started calling her that way back when they still in bad terms. But all this time, she figured it’s just his annoying-flirty side, like he calls the girls sweetheart or babe.

Now that she knows it’s not a bad one, it starts to do things to her. Like getting her heart flutters. He said he didn’t nickname everyone, yet of all people, he nicknamed her.

There must be a reason.

He laughs. “Because you’re pregnant with the next baby bird.” He flips the onesies on the rack, looking for a size. The smallest is for 6-month-old. “We need to get this one.”

Sana doesn’t even get to say it’s way too early to buy anything because he’s already zooming to the counter. She shakes her head. He really has a weird fixation towards a baby bird. One day, she’ll figure out why.

Later that day, he parks by the beach so they can wait for sunset.

“I didn’t peg you as someone who listens to Melanie Martinez,” she says as she scrolls through his playlist.

“How do you peg people who listens to Melanie Martinez and not listen to Melanie Martinez?”

“. . . you’re right. I can’t.” And then she gasps. “Gasp! You have Eden!”

“You know Eden?”

“Dude, I have all his songs!”

He groans. “Why do you even know him, Sana? Now I can’t be a special snowflake anymore.”

She rolls her eyes at his lameness. After Ed Sheeran is done singing Photograph, the next song on shuffle is—Sana reads on the screen—Chevelle, Take Out The Gunman.

“This song is great to have with,” he utters casually before he snaps his mouth shuts. He shuts his eyes tightly, “sorry, I’m an . I can’t seem to stop expressing myself.” He moves to press Next but Sana holds his hand to stop him.

She listens and then she realizes, “This is the song that played that night!” The one that played on repeat, the one that she asked him to stop playing it because it was too noisy, the one song that played in the background when they moved to the bedroom, the one that swallows all of their noises.

Great, now she also knows what it feels like to have this song played while having . Uninvited, there’s suddenly a tingly feel and a rush of heat to her body parts. ing hormones.

She presses Next. As if once isn’t enough, she presses it with violence three more times.

Mingyu stays in the car for half of a song, seemingly in his own thought, before he makes a little grumbling sound and walks out of the car.

She watches the sunset from the inside, he’s sitting at the bumper of his car.

Are they fighting? She doesn’t even know but there’s a negative vibe hovering around, just because of that one stupid song.

She refuses to prolong it any longer because after all, she’s staying at his house. Whatever is it they are on, she needs to make amends. She walks out and joins him, sitting by his side.

They don’t talk for a while. Sana glances at him, analysing his mood. The orange-hues colour his shorter light brown hair, as well as his skin. Despite his hardening profile, he looks glorious.

“Was that night that bad for you?” He quietly asks. “You’re acting like it’s a nightmare. Get over it, we got Tom.”

It was, before. Now, she can’t say it’s a great night either. Her life changes a lot because of it.

But.

But she won’t change Tom for the world. If Tom is conceived because of one night of mistake—and it’s still a mistake even without getting her pregnant—she’s still won’t trade him or her for anything.

So she needs to get over it. It’s a one night. It happened. It’s done. She gets the best thing out of it.

That’s not the reason why she acts like an angry in the car, though. He doesn’t get it. He would never get it. “You don’t understand.”

“Make me.”

“I can’t. We’re not on that level of comfort yet.”

“Try me.”

She doesn’t know why she suddenly wants to tear up. ing. Hormones. “Can you let it slide? I’m sorry.”

He sighs, probably detecting the tears in her voice. “It’s one stupid song, isn’t it?”

She nods. He gathers her in his arm, drops a kiss on top of her head as an amend. He doesn’t know that the way he rubs her arm in what he thinks is a soothing way, reignites the needs in her again. This time, it’s also heightening her senses, due to proximity.

With the side of their body presses together, and the smell of his cologne lingering in the air, she finds herself getting very distracted.

He’s still talking. “It’s my favorite pastime, to watch sunset over this spot. Sunrise is amazing too. Can you see the big rock over there? That’s where I—”

Blah blah blah. She can’t hear him because of how aware she is of him now. His large hand engulfs her whole arm and the way his skin is brushing hers . . .

This is dangerous.

Sana has to hold herself together. If she gives in to her wants and needs, she might maul him right now, right here.

And that’s not just inadequate, it’s also indecent.

Inappropriate.

Wrong.

He’s here only for Tom. She’s only in his arm now because of Tom. Tom is the only reason they start being nice to each other and there’s no smart reason to venture further than a friendship. She better never forgets that.

And she better not starts having weird fantasies about this guy, especially now that she’s starting to see how freaking likable he is.


 

a/n it's so weird how frequent i update lately, i don't feel Ming at all (eh, someone thought my username is bcs my bias is Mingyu. Lol no. My name is really Ming. You can call me that instead of author(nim)). 

How's your Eid? Hows your weekend? Hope it's a fun one. 

about this chapter, i had a really hard time to stay PG lol but the rating for this fic is PG 15.. I hope kids know where to skip.. 

Thanks for reading! <3