Five

Turning The Sphere

unedited, 4k words


They still haven’t said a word on their drive back. Sana is exhausted. All the decisions battle, the emotions, the terrifying idea of the future really took a toll over her so she tries to sleep. Mingyu, though, hasn’t stops smiling.

She side-eyes him. He looks genuinely happy, which is a little wrong if you ask her. Because he’s having a baby. And he’s also having a baby with her. A combo that he should never saw coming. A combo that he should running for the hills from. A combo that he should wash his hands of.

“Stop.”

His head turns from the road to glance at her. “Here? Why? You want to pee? You can’t pee here.”

“No. I mean stop smiling.”

“Why?”

“Just stop. I’m tired.”

“I was not even smiling at you.”

“I said I’m tired.”

He heavily sighs and focuses back on the road. Sana glances at him. He’s no longer smiling or frowning. Now he’s nodding unconsciously as though there’s a song in his head. He’s chewing on his bottom lip and Sana stares.

She heard a saying that usually, firstborn daughter tends to look like the father.

“Mingyu, do you know what this means?”

“What?” He asks, eyes remain on the road.

“This means, I’m carrying a child who might look like you.

He slowly swivels, making a face at her. “Why do you sound so insulting?”

“Because I am.”

He heavily sighs again and focuses back on the road. Sana is the one who’s tired. But she’s not done until he’s tired too. She’s just so tired like that. “And also, nine months from now, I might die pushing a baby only for it to have your personality too.”

“What are you trying to say, Minatozaki?”

“Nothing. I’m just pointing those out.”

“Do you realize that you’re technically insulting the baby too?”

She gapes and sputters, “I-I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Well, I don’t know, Sana. That’s exactly how it sounds like to me.” His hold on the steering wheel tighten his knuckles turn white and just as Sana wants to retort, he asks the same question he asked for seventy hundred twelvety-eighteen billionth time at the clinic parking lot earlier. “Are you really sure?”

“Once again, I didn’t mean it like that and I am sure.”

“Then I would have to start suggesting you that you can hate me all you want, but do not ever, implying the same to the baby. That’s my baby and also happens to be yours too. You just decided to keep her. You got to love her by now, no matter what.”

Her body goes rigid. She fought Mingyu a lot, but he never spoke to her with this reprimanding tone. And . . . and that just makes her sad, being put into place like that. And she feels sadder that although she didn’t mean it, her words really did implied offense. She rubs her tummy as a way to apologize to her little bean. Her voice cracks and the back of her eyes sting as she says, “I didn’t mean it like that . . .”

He glances at her and the car slows before he mutters apologetically, “I’m sorry,” at the same time she mumbles the same words of apology.

They look at each other, which isn’t long considering he’s driving but there’s a hint of a truce in their gaze just before they bounce back into silence.

“I’ve been thinking,” he says after a long silence. “All we noticed was the nine months. What we failed to notice is that, we’re not just going to deal with each other for that period. The actual deal is after the nine months. We’re going to raise the baby. We’re going to be there when she goes to school. We’re going to be there to lecture her when she starts to date, which . . . okay, maybe only you, because over my dead body.” Sana snorts. “And if the baby is a boy, we’re going to be there for his sports game and then college, and then wedding.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“I’m saying that we’re stuck together. As long as the baby lives.”

Holy kitten. Now she just realizes it too. That’s like—forever. She thought she just has to put up with Mingyu until they graduate, but now she has to deal with him until she’s old. This means that Mingyu is going to see her with crinkly skin, grey hair and saggy . .

“So,” He takes a short breath as he takes a swift left turn. “I think it would be nice if we start over.”

Sana raises a brow.

He continues. “I know you don’t like me, and you know I’m not your fan. But I think we can work on at least, being in a good term. We’re going to see each other from time to time—for probably our entire life. So let’s start by trying to be grown-ups.”

Sana doesn’t say anything because really, there’s soooo much to take in today. It’s a surprise her head hasn’t exploded.

“Let’s call a truce. That way, we both could still be alive before the baby is born.”

A truce. Sana can take it, she supposes. She’s too exhausted to argue and she really can’t see anything wrong from calling a truce. She wants him to stay and ing at him would just push him away. So she answers, “okay.”

He smiles. Wide.

“Stop.”

He stops smiling. “We just called a truce, stop fighting me!”

“I want to pee.”

 

Meet Nayeon.

Nayeon is maddening.

“If you write my name beside his name under that picture and post it, I swear to god Nayeon, I will beat you up.”

Nayeon is Sana’s bestfriend slash roommate. Nayeon nails every quality there is to be a great bestfriend slash roommate, except one. She’s the biggest drama producer on the planet. She is running the campus gossip column and it’s mainly a place for the girls to fangirl the sports team—basketball especially, which Mingyu is part of—so it’s her job to put up every tiny thing that could keep people on the column talking. She gets a kick from it, whenever the news spread out. What a .

But who can blame her. Nayeon is doing a good job as an admin and Sana can’t help but be an avid follower of the threads in there.

Few weeks ago, Sana finds out that Wonwoo went out on a date with a mystery girl and it took everything in her not to leave an anonymous hate comment. She has a crush on him sometimes. (Key word—sometimes. Because sometimes she forgot about him until she saw him again. And she only saw him around sometimes.)

But now Sana is no longer a fan. Not to Wonwoo, but to the column. Because there’s a risk of her getting hate comments.

Nayeon showed the picture she took of her dragging Mingyu after class. She said with a pair of dreamy eyes without any idea how threatening she looked, “all it takes is one click and my column will blow up” and it got Sana all worked up.

“You two look good together though.”

“Are you ing serious?”

“Yeah. Mingyu can make everyone who stands next to him looks cute because he’s tall and you’re a midget. Therefore, you guys are cute.”

“Are you ing serious?”

“Jeonghan ships you guys. And that says a lot because you know how much he wants to put his hands all over Mingyu.”

Sana grimaces. Jeonghan ships everything. Even his cat and cactus. And whenever he posted their pictures on Instagram he actually tagged Cattus.

She rolls her eyes and then goes back to flipping and skimming her fashion magazine. She needs to start looking for maternity style. That gave her a minor freak out earlier—knowing she couldn’t rock a skinny jeans for a while—until she saw Blake Lively on the beach with her bikini. It inspired her for five seconds before she realized she looked nothing like her. So, for now, she has to resolve to find out her own style. Hence, the magazines.

“Seriously, the two of you need a new hobby,” she mutters as she stares at one red spiky heels. She sighs. Heels must go to at one point.

Nayeon turns to her laptop. “One click . . .” She threatens while her finger hovering over the mouse pad.  

“Okay, what do you want?” Sana gives up, putting down the magazine and gives Nayeon all her attention.

“Hold up, . Why do you always think I want something out of everything I do?”

“Innocence doesn’t look good on you, . Spill it before I start throwing things.”

Nayeon smirks. “Well, I just want to know what’s going on behind this picture.”

“And you can’t just ask?”

“You can always lie if I don’t have other substances.”

Smart. Sana is so going to lie anyway.

“You’re going to post it along with the backstory?”

“Yes.”

Really?

“I just want to know. As a bestfriend. You also went somewhere with him the other day. Anddd he asked about you last night.”

He did? “Asked about what?” Surely, he won’t give hints, right?

“How you’re doing, what you ate, why aren’t you going out, did you rest enough . . .”

Idiot. Sana closes her eyes. He didn’t hint, he basically gave it all away.

“I just knew it you guys would be up to that point. In alternate universe, usually, characters with relationship like you two secretly liked each other.”

“Ha-ha. If he really likes me, then he has the funniest way of showing it.”

“I didn’t say you two like each other. I said in alternate universe.”

Sana rolls her eyes. Nayeon reads and watches too much romance. Too much that when she bumped onto a guy few weeks ago, she actually believed it was fate and by setting, she had to know him. Well, she did. And he’s gay. Jeonghan went to a date with him instead.

“By the way, what’s happening?” Nayeon asks.

A baby is happening. Sana doesn’t tell anyone yet. She won’t, maybe until she starts to show. For now, she would like to keep it as a secret. Especially from Nayeon. Not that she doesn’t trust Nayeon. She just doesn’t trust Nayeon with secrets.

“We . . . well, we just . . . hang out.”

Nayeon squints from her table desk. She sits with her legs and arm crossed—drama producer posture. “A little nervous, I see . . .”

Sana grunts. “Okay, we made amends.” That, at least is not wholly a lie.

“You finally forgave him?”

Sana thinks for a while. Actually, this whole time, it’s not really about the assignment. (They were partner and Mingyu was overslept so he didn’t send the project on time so they both got zero for it.) She just didn’t—doesn’t—like him. Even during the project meeting, they argued a lot and the failure to submit and the result were just the starting point to comfortably declare without guilt that they both hate each other.

“I was mad as hell at him for that but I eventually forgot about it. It’s just that he constantly made me mad so it’s not really about grunge anymore.”

“How did you guys make amends?”

By expecting a baby together. “Why do you want to know about that?”

“Ohhh of course I want to know. You’re my bestfriend and anything about Mingyu always gets the most response including that one photo I thought was the most unnecessary for a gossip column—you know the one where he just standing there looking bored—and that still got the—“

“You said you’re not putting up the photo!”

“Did I say that?”

“Nayeon, you basically implied if I tell you the story, you’re not going to click send!”

“Oh, but that’s implied. I don’t do implied. I do absolute so . . .” And she clicks.

It’s official.

Nayeon is ing maddening.

“We are not dating.”

Today is hectic. Sana lost count how many times she got stopped in the hallway and how many times she was asked the ing question whether or not she and Mingyu are going out. She’s so fed up that it’s started to become her default answer to every question.

“Where did you get that beg?”

“We are not dating.”

“Miss Minatozaki, can you explain to the class what is your understanding to the topic so far?”

“We are not dating.”

“Do you want Set A or Set B?”

“We are not dating!”

And it’s so unfair that she is the only one who is stress and pregnant while Mingyu is all chill and pregnant-less.

She squints as he walks into the class. He’s late and whenever someone is late, the professor would stops talking and stares until the student gets to their seat. Because Mingyu is a jerk, he walks even slower. Slow as in an act-out slow-motion. Blame it on her hormones and how stressful her day is, it riles her up when Mingyu grins and everyone laughs at him while all she gets today is questioning looks and stupid question.

He plops on two seats beside her. The two seats are empty so she waits for Mingyu to glance and say something. Say hi, say puppy or even better, say something about the ing photo.

He doesn’t. No glance, no words.

When the class is over, his friends and the girls are crowding around him and no one, no one asks him anything about the photo!

She gathers her books and leaves.

She doesn’t know why she finds this so infuriating. He never just flat-out ignored her. Before the baby, his wild eyes would meet her and give her a menacing look for no reason at all so she doesn’t understand how he could just do and say nothing when there’s obviously something to be acknowledged.

She’s storming through the parking spot when her phone buzzes.

 

Where r u

 

Oh, there he is. Sana scoffs, pockets her phone and continues walking. She can play the same game too.

Her phone buzzes against her again and she ignores it. She stops walking when she sees the familiar Honda. Mingyu’s car. She walks to it and kicks. She laughs as she walks away again because how is she going to be a mother when she acts like six year old?

Buzz.

She takes the phone out because what if it’s someone else right?

Nope. It’s still Mingyu with two messages.

 

Where r u going

 

DID U JUST KICK MY CAR??

 

She stops walking. Uh oh, caught on act. She whirls around and finds the jerk walking towards her with a familiar menacing look.

“Hey,” he calls out.

“Hey.”

He walks closer and stands before her, still looks as furious. “Hey.”

“Hey.”

He glares down at her and Sana glares at her just as much because he’s tall and crowding. So much for someone who just ignored her.

But then he sighs. “Hey.”

Now she’s just confused. “Hey.”

“I just remember we called a truce so we shouldn’t be fighting anymore.”

“But I just kicked your car.”

“Don’t tempt me. I called the truce.”

“I’m wearing stiletto. You see, it’s sharp.”

He closes his eyes and grinds his jaws. Sana tries not to find that amusing because nothing about them is amusing.

“Stop riling me up. Are you going back to the dorm?”

“I’m stopping for take-outs first. Why?”

“Let’s go together.”

“Why?”

“I’m feeding you.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re pregnant with my child, for god’s sake!”

She quickly glances around. Thank no witness is within earshot. “Goodness, Mingyu, say it louder. Nayeon couldn’t hear you from the dorm.”

He sighs. “I’m sorry. Well, come on.”

They start walking. When they walk pass some students who then spare them a glance, it reminds her of the issue. “Did you see our photo?” And the comments? She wants to ask, but keeps it to herself.

“Yep. I downloaded it. It was taken from a good angle. My shoulders looked nice.”

Really? That’s his input? Sana stops walking and turns back to the opposite direction. “Wait here, I’m just going to kick your car again.”

He pulls her back. “You don’t do that to my wife. What’s your problem?”

“People are ting on me and all you cared about is your shoulders?”

So much to call for a truce.

“Nobody is ting on you.”

“They called me one of your girls!” It isn’t as mean, probably because Nayeon filtered out hate comments, but still.

He starts to grin and Sana is tempted to kick his car again. “Aren’t you, though?”

“I’m. Nobody’s. Girl. Much less yours.”

“But you’re my baby mommy.” He ignores her incoming wrath and continues giving his stupid input, “So technically you’re not just one of my girls. You’re two of my girls.”

Sana gapes because . . . is she really pregnant with him as the father? She is suddenly so scared for the baby. “Dolphin , did you seriously just say that?”

“You’re the one who said dolphin with a straight face and you asked me that?” He falls back into steps, dragging her along and as though they have done it for years, he casually puts his arm around her shoulder as they walk. “Whatever. Come, let daddy feed you two.”

Oh Dog. Why the hell are you the father?”

“I hope after I gave up two of my chicken nuggets, half of my fries and all my gummy bear toppings for you, you won’t fight me anymore. I’m serious about the truce, Sana. We can’t fight anymore.”

Sana stops the frozen yogurt from her spoon and turns towards him. They decided to sit on a bench in the park for dessert before going back to campus to get their cars.

“I’m serious too about the truce, but it’s your fault that you pissed me off today.”

His spoon freezes mid-air away from his mouth. “What did I do to piss you off? You’re the one who kicked my car.”

“You ignored me. I wouldn’t have a problem with it if we don’t have any deal with each other, but we do.”

Now he just stops eating. “When the hell did I ignore you?”

Anddd they are fighting again. So much for serious about the truce.

“In the class. Earlier.”

“Did you talk to me?”

“No.”

“Then how is that ignoring when you were not even talking to me?”

He has a point. Keeping her female ego intact, she shrugs. “Whatever, it’s no big deal.” Really, it’s not as big as she’s making it to be. Because today’s mantra is “we are not dating”.

He scoffs and throws his cup into the trash bin. “Anyway, I have something to tell you and after I gave up two of my chicken nuggets, half of my fries and all my gummy bear toppings for you, I hope you won’t be mad at me.”

Sana swirls the froyo around her tongue, giving him a look to continue.

He turns towards her, folding his leg between them. “I told my mum about you.”

And now Sana wants to throw her cup at him. Only that, she still wants to eat. “Why?” She cries. Today is really stupid and this news is just topping it all. Because now someone else knows and it’s not just someone else. It’s his parent. Telling parent is a big, big deal. Which is why she couldn’t do it yet to hers. “You should have asked me first.”

“Right. So you can tell me not to tell her.”

“Exactly!”

“Sana.” He scoots closer. Sana takes a quick measure; if she’s done with her froyo and if she were to throw her cup and aim his head, would it make a good thud? No. So she scoots away. He sighs. “If there’s one person who should know and won’t judge, it would be my mom. She’s been in your shoes. In fact, she actually wants to see you so she could hug you and make a show of whipping my just to make you happy.”

She would pay for that show. Her heart calms down a little. “Really? She’s that awesome?”

He grins. “Yeah. It runs in the family. Now you should no longer worry for the baby. At age three, she will kickass.”

That makes me worry.”

He rolls his eyes. “Anyway, she wants to meet you someday. Will you do that?”

Sana stalls, clearing her cup slowly. If she does, what are they coming as? Friends? Thinking of them as friends feels funny for her so maybe classmates? Or worse . . . parents? “What are you going to introduce me as?”

“Minatozaki Sana.”

“Of course, . But what as?”

“Baby bird.”

She throws her spoon at him, a little smack on his forehead and falling down . . . perfectly at his crotch. She tries not to comment. He laughs, picking it up and then throw it into the trash can.

“Why do you call me that anyway?”

He shrugs and then casually dismisses the question. “What do you want to be?”

She throws her cup away. “Her co-conspirator.”

“Fine. I’ll introduce you as that.”

She looks at her watch. It’s another twenty minutes before the campus parking lot deserting. She wants to suggest going back, but Mingyu hasn’t done talking.

“When are you going to tell your dad?” He looks nervous when he asks. “I need to prepare myself, you know.”

She needs to prepare herself too. Her shoulders slump. “I don’t know. Can I wait until I’m in labor so he won’t get mad because I’ll be in too much pain?”

“Is he really that scary?”

“He’s not, but you won’t even let your daughter dates, how mad would you be if she gets knocked up?”

He blanches. “Oh .”

“Exactly.” She chews on her lip for a second. “Do you want to see him?”

Sana could have sworn he is shuddering before he composes himself. “Um. What your father is like?”

“He was a hockey player and is now a couch so he’s big and narcissist. He’s fond of zombies and French soap operas. He likes gardening because his favorite food is eggplant. He’s attractive to cats but he’s not attracted to any.”

“He’s big?”

Of course that’s the one thing Mingyu catches on. Not that Sana wants to scare him, because scaring would make the guy runs and drops all responsibilities, but Sana can’t lie and honesty is her policy. “Fifteen-years-hockey-player-and-ten-years-coaching big.”

“Oh . . .”

Sana feels the urge to pat him on his back but she doesn’t. She has a feeling this would make Mingyu run to the opposite direction soon and she beats herself that she’s honest about things. If Mingyu runs, who would stand by her? His mom? That’s not right to run and cry to his mom . . .

“I guess I need to go to gym some more then.” What he said hasn’t register to her until he adds, “or maybe I should go to self-defence class so I can dodge some beating?”

Sana stares him. He looks worried, but genuinely contemplative as well.

“I can handle some punches though. But can you please warn your dad to avoid my ribs? I broke it once in highschool and . . .”

He starts to ramble about how he got his ribs broke but Sana can’t hear a thing. The fact that he is still not running in opposite direction and would actually accept beating is just . . . too . . . ridiculous. Ridiculous because he’s not being a jerk. Ridiculous because she doesn’t know how to deal. Jerk-Mingyu is so much easier to deal with. This nice side? It’s scary because he seems . . . likeable.

She blinks and somehow the next blinking is on his lips. It seems like they are moving too much and it’s distracting and blames it again on her hormones, there’s an itch creeping in her to shut that mouth up with her own.

Oh !

She can’t sleep that night. Because counting sheep formula obviously doesn’t work with saying “we are not dating” on repeat.

 

 


a/n this is sooo messy i can't even

it's funny how this was meant to be a casual work yet i update it the most, more than what i want to be my serious work ... 

 

thanks for reading. Especially you, HanInYoo for being such a follower to this crackship story haha bless you!