You.

Tattoo.

"Please give a warm welcome to a familiar face, author Park Jaehyung!"

Jae looks into the camera, a warm smile on his face as he waves to the camera. He adjusts his position in the comfortable chair, 

"Hello, I'm Park Jaehyung."

His hair is longer now, and there's this aura surrounding him and one can tell by his expression that he's happy now.

"Congratulations on another successful release,"

"Thank you!" he says sincerely, and gives a small bow and smile to the live studio audience that cheered in celebration for his new novel.

"So, the last time you joined us was when 'Float On...' first came out, right?"

"Yes, I believe so... That means it's already been 5 years, almost 6."

"And within that time, you've managed to release other novels that received much love and support. But recently, you have created another stir within the bookworm community,"

Jae almost lets a laugh slip out at the interviewer's choice of words, but remembers he's on live television and it would probably be best not to.

"Care to tell us about your recent novel?"

"Ah, yes..." a proud smile makes its way to his handsome face as he introduces,

"So, my recent novel is titled 'Tattoo.', and it follows the story of two individuals who have gone completely separate ways, but meet up again in the future. I don't want to spoil anything, but I will say there is a lot of hardships that the two face once they reconnect, a lot of confusion and conflict. They face descrimination, unacceptance as well as society's judgement and disapproval."

She nods, and comments,

"I've already read it, and I cried," she chuckles a bit before asking,

"Why did you decide to title it 'Tattoo.'?"

"The title was actually inspired by my answer to your question of what I think love is." Jae answers, 

"Oh, thats right, I asked you that on your first appearance... Wouldn't have thought another best-seller would stem from that,"

Jae laughs, nodding in agreement. 

"The cover is actually a photo this time, comparable to the rest of your novels that consist of usually just solid colour, the title, and maybe a small minimalist drawing."

"Yeah, I figured a photo of an actual person may make it more personal... Actually, I just thought it was a really cool photo."

"The tattoo is blurred out, but we can see it's on the person's nape."

"Yes, there's no specific reason for that. I just thought it was more artistic." he admits, laughing at himself.

The interview continues on, discussing topics like Jae's current relationship status and he ensures he's still in a romantic relationship with a certain musician whose charm on stage has been captivating the public. He talks about how he managed to engrave such depth and emotion into his newly released novel, explaining that it wasn't too hard to connect with readers once he experienced love and a relationship. All his fans know that the story was more of a biography, telling his and Brian's story, as the immense emotion was revived and the press conference that was held years ago was merely a teaser for an enthralling storyline to be released in the future.

The reason it took so long to write is because Jae refused to miss a single detail - leave out the smallest moment - and wanted to execute their love story perfectly. Behind characters who could easily be deciphered amongst their friends, Jaehyung managed to release another best-seller that was priceless to him and Brian.

The interview wraps up nicely, with promises of coming back on the show sooner, and after greeting some fans, Jae meets up with Jinhae in his car,

"You look good on television, I wonder how those make up artists do it..."

"I don't have fans for my looks," Jae defends,

"Thank God, or else we'd both be unemployed," he jokes,

The author slaps Jinhae on the arm, telling him to just drive since their on a tight schedule.

"Are Sungjin and Wonpil there already?" Jinhae asks,

"Yeah, they're setting up."

" that Bri couldn't be here," his manager comments just as a text from him shows up on Jae's phone,

brian♡: you look better in person, but the interview was cute! 

And attached is a screenshot of Jae during the show,

"Yeah..." Jae agrees, and informs with a sweet smile

"He watched the interview live, though."

"You guys are still lame as Hell."

"You love us though,"

"That statement is false." Jinhae objects while shaking his head.

Jae just rolls his eyes and lets out an exaggerated sigh because they both know Jinhae does. If he didn't, he wouldn't have stuck with him through his phases, emotional fits and writer blockers, and most importantly, he wouldn't support Jae and Brian.

 

Things have changed within the years that have passed. Brian's music career hasn't slowed down at all, and the reason he's not at Jae's side right now is because he's on tour. He just had his final show of the tour in Toronto, a successful night he ensures his boyfriend. Within the time that slipped through their fingers, they experienced a lot of new things. Like their first real fight that resulted in them talking things out at 3AM due to their promise made years ago of not going to bed mad at each other. The cause of the fight started as a small disagreement that escalated into heated words that held no meaning but still slipped out due to long work nights and not enough sleep.

Brian going on tour is also a first, his last stop being Toronto, and he was currently on a plane ride back home.

Another first that was finally coming to life; Jae and Brian have been planning this for a while, and Jinhae also had to get in on things and pull his strings again. 

Currently, Jae and Jinhae were headed to a building on the corner of a street where a line has already formed outside, waiting their arrival.

The couple decided to open up a cafe that had their own little twist. It doubled up as a bookstore, and on Sunday nights, it allowed for live performances. It was spacious yet cozy, the interior's colour scheme being warm colours, mainly oranges and browns that mingled with white. It took almost a year for the cafe to become reality, and now that it was finally happening, Jae couldn't deny it felt wrong without Brian by his side.

His thoughts are cut off when Jinhae slams on the breaks, jerking his body forward,

"Sorry," he says,

"Learn how to drive," Jae replies and Jinhae scoffs,

"I know how. That's why I didn't run over your fans that just ran across the road,"

Jinhae knows Jae must've been thinking about something that was bothering him for him not to notice. He concludes it's the fact that Brian's not here, but decides not to comment on it. 

"We're here, kid."

He unbuckles his seatbelt,

"You gotta run in and make sure-"

Before Jinhae can finish his instructions, the man's already bolting through the back door, and Jinhae rushes to follow him in.

When they get inside, they're greeted with Sungjin and Wonpil, already in uniform, 

"Hey," Jae says, and gives both of them hugs and smiles which he receive in return.

"For some reason, I'm nervous," Sungjin says,

"Don't worry, you're a great barista." Jae comforts, 

"I'm not used to serving that many people though," he replies, eyes focusing on the buzzing line outside.

"You have me with you, you'll be fine," Wonpil says, and Sungjin gives him a warm smile before leaning in for a kiss.

"You guys are still as gross as ever,"

"Jae, you can't even speak about being gross, okay?" Jinhae reprimands, 

"But Brian's not here, so you guys can't come for me." Jae states, and they can't argue with that.

"You'll see him tomorrow morning," and the author smiles at that.

Jinhae looks at his watch before dragging Jae along with him to the middle of the cafe where a table is set up,

"Okay, the store's opening in 3 minutes, you gotta get set."

Jae sits down and gives him an eye roll,

"You can stop treating me like a little kid you have to manage,"

Jinhae laughs to himself before replying,

"Says the one who had a breakdown and told me to come over with ice cream when Brian left for his tour-"

"Hey." Jae interrupts,

"It's your fault he got signed and got famous, and travelled for his shows,"

"Fault?! You say that like it's a bad thing. I wasn't just gonna let your talented boyfriend remain a barista,"

"What's so bad about being a barista?" Sungjin chimes in, narrowing his eyes in fake offense,

"Keep talking like that, and I'll cancel your interview at the record label." and they laugh it off because Jinhae's threat holds no real meaning.

In about 3 minutes is the grand opening of their cafe, as well as another big event. Jae's hosting his first book signing for 'Tattoo.', so he's spending the last few minutes practicing his signature.

"What if they wanna touch me?"

Jinhae looks up from his phone,

"What?" his expression deadpanned, eyes squinting in suspicion as if questioning if he heard correctly.

"Like, hold my hand..."

"Relax, you're not a celebrity, I doubt they'll want to hold your hand as you sign their book."

"I hope not, my hands are kinda clammy today-"

"Okay, doors are opening in a couple of seconds, enough of your weird talk." Jinhae cuts him off before walking to the doors that are soon open to the public.

It happens a lot more organized than all of them expected, the fans are respectful as they file in. Wonpil and Sungjin greet them with a smile and slight bow and most of them reciprocate. Jae's standing a little further back, near the table. 

"Before we start the signing, I'd just like to say a few words," Jae manages to project his voice, and the excited buzz dies down.

"Uh, first off, thank you all for coming to support the opening of our cafe!" there's time for a collective applause,

"And the release of my new book. To those waiting in line, or after you've had your time with me," the author thinks he would've worded that better, and just clears his throat when he hears Wonpil's annoying snicker in the back,

"Please grab something, I recommend an Iced Americano, but there's also treats available if you're hungry," some fans' eyes travel to the menu, as Jae finishes off with,

"Thank you, once again, for being here." and with that, he goes to sit down, preparing the table space and taking the cap off the pen.

"You took my lines, by the way." Jinhae says, as the other staff are trying to form a single file line.

"Looks like you're slacking as manager," and Jae giggles like a kid in response to Jinhae's glare. He knows if there weren't a huge crowd of fans in front of them, he could've gotten a slap in the arm.

The signing goes smoothly, most of the fans actually buy a drink and a snack afterwards, but Jae's not that pleased he's had to hold a lot of their hands. It's not that he's disgusted by them, it's actually the other way around, as he curses his clammy hands. 

"Oh?" Jae says when the next fan comes up, 

"Oh my Gosh, it's Jaehyung! Ah! You're my favourite-"

"Shut up," he says between laughter as Eunyi settles down in front of him. She gives him that classic Eunyi smile that he hasn't seen in a while.

"Where's the book?"

"Sign this napkin instead, I didn't wanna spend money on your book."

"Keep talking like that and security will take you away,"

"What security? Jinhae? I can take him on.." she jokes, and takes out the book from her bag.

"Sorry, what's your name, I need to know who I'm signing to." Jae teases, already writing inside the cover,

"Oh of course, just write 'to ex-girlfriend'," she fires back and Jae sends her a glare, looking up from the book for a few seconds before returning his attention to the little message, shaking his head while laughing.

It's a pleasant surprise, but they don't catch up too much as Eunyi's aware of the line of fans behind her. So, after receiving the book back, she goes to talk to Sungjin and Wonpil.

 

Minutes that turn into hours pass and Jae doesn't know how many books he's signed at this point. But it's a very humbling feeling, as readers talk to him about how his words helped them through a hard time, or maybe how his novels made them appreciate love a bit more. A lot of them asked about Brian, and he tells them his flight is scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning, and that he's also a bit bummed that he couldn't make it to the grand opening. 

Some fans give him gifts, which he receives with shock written all over his face. Jinhae has to collect them, and plan for it so he just puts them in his car.

After hours that Jae didn't keep track of, the line of fans finally comes to an end. Some fans are still lingering, Jae's finishing up signing what he thinks is the last book, and Jinhae's even starting to clean up, when someone runs in.

Out of breath, but that sound is something Jae recognizes in a heartbeat.

He stands up from the table, nearly knocking it over and he doesn't even see Jinhae's knowing smile.

"Hey..." is what Brian says and Jae just hugs him.

"Why're you here so early?" Jae asks, deaf to the excited whispers of fans that stayed.

"As soon as my show in Toronto ended, I got on a plane," he replies, and his boyfriend's just staring at his smile, something he knows Jae missed.

"You lied, then." the author says with a pout, but he couldn't be happier that Brian is right in front of him, arms around his waist where they should be.

"Wanted to surprise you," 

"Well, you did." 

Brian hums in thought, looking up the ceiling before saying,

"Not over yet."

Jae's confused and almost stops Brian when he pulls away from him. The author just stands and watches, but his legs nearly give in when Brian exhales.

Then, he gets down on one knee, his hand reaching into his jacket pocket and pulling out a small black box.

Jae thinks he's dreaming, probably hallucinating just because he missed Brian the past few weeks. But the fans that are screaming are an indicator that this is actually happening.

Brian is actually in front of him, looking up at him with a nervous smile.

"Park Jaehyung,"

He doesn't respond to his name, at least not coherently, merely making a whimper in response. Brian chuckles, and Jae's legs just get weaker. The man on the floor clears his throat, voice trembling from nerves and excitement,

"You are hands down the greatest thing that has happened to me. You're my source of strength, always knowing what to do when I'm upset or angry. The support you provide me is insane, and I couldn't imagine doing anything I've done without you by my side. You are literally my rock, my happiness, my..." he exhales and looks at Jae,

"My everything."

Sungjin and Wonpil are watching in silence, along with the fans. Sungjin knew this was going to happen today, but seeing it all play out is fascinating. In fact, he's the one that texted Brian that the line was coming to an end, even sent Dowoon and Junhyeok to pick the man up from the airport.

"We've been through a Hell of a lot... And, I've put you through a lot, and vice versa. 6 years of dating you, and there has not been a single moment where I've gotten tired of you. Or felt bored when you're with me, with you it didn't work like that- it doesn't work like that. I could be tired from recording all day, body exhausted and I don't even wanna see myself in the mirror... But coming home to you," he sighs with a huge smile and continues,

"Best feeling in the world. And I never want to lose that feeling... I wanna spend the rest of my life with you. I don't know what that entails, what we'll go through but I do know I want you by my side through it all. I know it's probably selfish, considering your boyfriend still has that stupid memory problem. But, I still would like to ask,"

He stares at Jae as he opens the box, tearing up at the sight of Jae quietly crying with the cutest pout on his face.

"Park Jaehyung, will you marry me?"

It's quiet, Sungjin hushing Wonpil from squealing in excitement and the fans silently taking videos and pictures. Jae's staring in disbelief before he walks closer to Brian, nodding as he cries.

"Is that a yes?" Brian asks, laughing at Jae's ugly crying, as he vocalizes a broken,

"Yes," as the musician slips the ring on.

A perfect fit; much like their hands in each others' or their lips on the other's - just like them as people.

The sweet kiss they share is accompanied by cheers and clapping. Sungjin and Wonpil walk up to them, and give them hugs of congratulations. Even Jinhae joins in on the sappy exchange of embraces,

"Did you know about this?" Jae asks Wonpil and Jinhae,

"Of course. I helped book Bri's flight back,"

"And Sungjin and I arranged his ride here." his best friend answers with a proud smile.

Jae just kisses Brian again and hugs him,

"I missed you."

"Missed you too, baby." and he places a loving kiss on Jae's head.

The author stares at the ring around his finger. It's simple yet gorgeous, and he wonders how long Brian spent looking for it. Brian follows his gaze, and as if reading his mind, comments,

"It didn't take long to choose it,"

Jae looks at him, and says,

"As soon as I laid my eyes on that one, I knew I had to get it. I thought it was very you," 

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Well, the sun ray reflected off it right into my eye, so like you, it was blinding." 

Wonpil fake gags, but the couple is too busy in their own little world to notice. Brian just chuckles, holding Jae close,

"I don't know, I just got the feeling like 'this is the one'..." he looks into Jae's eyes,

"Just like you."

They share one more kiss that's applauded supportively.

Jae finishes the book signing off with a thanks to the fans that are still there, and a thanks to Sungjin and Wonpil for holding down the orders. 

The grand opening is a success, as was Brian's proposal. The group is cleaning up the cafe, Brian and Jae may have rags in their hands but they're not really cleaning. They're whispering amongst themselves, Jae repeatedly telling his now fiancé that he missed him, and he hears the same words back. They're talking about the theme of the wedding, the tentative invite list, potential honeymoon locations.

 

By the time they close the cafe and part ways, the sun has already set and Sungijn and Wonpil are tired from serving for so long.

"I owe you guys," Jae says in the parking lot,

"Just make sure your wedding is open bar," Wonpil replies and Sungjin gives a light shove as he laughs.

"Seriously, thank you." the author says, leaning into Brian as the latter wraps an arm around his waist,

"Any time." Sungjin replies but then his boyfriend adds,

"You say that like we're not paid employees," and the group laughs. They say their good nights, before Jae and Brian get into Jinhae's car.

"Your stuff's already in here?" Jae questions when he sees Brian's luggage,

"Yeah, I texted him when I was at the cafe,"

"That's why I parked so close, so that I could unlock it without leaving the book signing."

Jae looks back and forth between them in awe,

"You guys had this really planned out..."

"You think Bri would allow for an improv proposal?" his manager asks with a scoff, and Jae sighs in defeat.

Jinhae drives them to their home, helps bring Bri's stuff up and then leaves with rushed goodbyes, saying he doesn't want to stay too long and take away from their alone time.

As soon as their door closes, Brian lifts Jae up and the latters legs wrap around his waist, just like always. The share a happy kiss, and before things escalate Brian says,

"I gotta shower."

Jae stares at him with an expression that screams "really?"

"I got on a plane right after a concert. I'm all sweaty,"

"You're gonna be sweaty within an hour anyway," 

Brian laughs into Jae's neck and places a kiss, 

"Fair enough." he says,

"Wanna join me then?" 

Jae looks at him with a sly smile,

"Is that even a question after I haven't seen you for how long?"

"Gotta make up for it then.." Brian says as he walks toward their bathroom,

"I hope you slept well on the plane, 'cause I don't know if you'll be sleeping tonight."

"Ah, how I've missed you and your teasing,"

"Who said I was teasing?" 

Brian watches as he puts Jae down and he walks into the bathroom, 

"You ask that question as you your shirt like that,"

"Do you wanna do it for me?"

The musician rolls his eyes, before going closer,

"Gladly."

Brian's hands aren't rushed, but they're not as excruciatingly slow as Jae's were. Jae's staring at his ring and he places a quick kiss on his fiance's lips, catching him off guard.

"I love you... so much."

"Are you talking to me or the diamond on that ring?" he jokes and Jae slaps his chest,

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding... I love you too. Always."

 

 


 

 

The day has finally come and it's been a long time coming. Lots of planning, stressing out, cake testing, entertainment booking and making sure the venue provided an open bar, as per Wonpil's request. 

"Sungjin!" Brian calls from one of the rooms in the hall,

"What?" his best man says from the door way, probably out of breath from running to Brian's distressed call.

"My hands are shaking too much, help me with the tie."

Sungjin stares at him before bursting out in laughter, walking in to help with Bri's tux.

"Nervous?"

"Excited." Brian corrects,

"Can't wait..." he adds, thinking of putting the wedding ring on Jae's finger. Sungjin gives him a proud smile before checking Brian out, making sure his tuxedo is perfect, no stray hairs in his face.

"Okay, we gotta get you to the altar."

Brian looks at himself in the mirror before exhaling, a huge smile on his face as he nods and follows Sungjin out.

 

Brian has seen Jae in a suit before, Hell, he's seen him in every outfit possible. But it's different today.

Jae's smile is radiant, blinding as he walks down the aisle. Brian's staring in awe, mouth agape in wonder and appreciation. Brian's said this before, but the tears lining his eyes add so much more meaning when he says,

"You look perfect."

And Jae doesn't get to respond, before the priest presiding over the ceremony begins to talk.

It's a blur of words, neither of them really paying attention, too busy staring and marvelling at the wonder that is each other. Until they get to the part where they recite their vows, their staring contest interrupted by the priest clearing his throat to signal one of them to start talking.

"Oh," Brian says, tearing his eyes away from his stunning to-be husband,

"Vow time, I guess..." and their guests laugh while Sungjin shakes his head, smiling at how unprofessional his best friend sounds. He exhales and looks at Jae before saying,

"Park Jaehyung, I vow to remain faithful to you. I promise to be your strength, your best friend, your lover, your biggest fan, and your eternal partner in crime. I vow to be by your side as we continue to grow, learn and love from now until the end of time." he gives Jae a warm smile, as he tears up like the softie he is.

"I promise to never give up on you, on us. To trust in you without a hint of doubt, and to continue to love you unconditionally." Brian inhales,

"I also vow to not see movies you like without you. I promise to stop stealing the blanket at night, interrupting your focus with bad guitar riffs and stealing your food from the fridge."

Of course, he couldn't make promises without teasing at the innerworkings of their relationship.

"Lastly, I vow to never let you go or lose our spark. You've shown me a love greater than I knew existed, you are my everything."

Jae wipes away the tears threatening to fall, and says,

"Why'd you have to take all the good ones, I'm the author in this relationship..." and their friends and family laugh. 

"Way to set the bar," he adds and proceeds to state his vows.

"Brian Kang...  I promise to you my faithfulness, truth and endless love. I vow to be your rock, your muse, your lyric editor, your smile when you're feeling blue, and your best friend and lover forever. No matter what life throws at us, whatever we're put through, I vow that we'll get through it together, and I will never leave your side." 

It's Brian's turn to tear up, and Sungjin wants to laugh at how he's biting his lower lip to prevent the tears from actually falling.

"I also vow to never stop supporting you and your dreams, I promise to always get you your own meal from McDonalds, to stop stealing your pillows, and continue to surprise you at the studio when you're recording." 

Jae gives him a loving smile as he finishes,

"Finally, I promise you myself."

The crowd claps as the ceremony resumes, another blur of words. Even when they're repeating after the priest, even when they slip the rings on, they only refocus when they say,

"I do."

The priest says a few more words that go in one ear and out the other, before saying,

"You may now kiss the groom."

"Finally," Brian says against Jae's lips before capturing them in a long, loving kiss. 

Cheers and clapping fill the venue, as they take each other's hand and go down the aisle, waving to their parents and friends. 

"I'm so damn lucky to have you." Brian says,

"And there you go again, stealing my lines." his now husband replies,

"I love you, Bri." Jae adds,

"Love you too, Kang Jaehyung," he says before placing another chaste kiss on his lips. 

Their smiles get wider as they break out into a run, the cheers and support still loud and clear. The matching tattoos on their napes burning, their love - much like the ink - permanent.

 

They've been through so much together. Each trial that life has put in front of them has made them stronger, has made them just that much more sure.

If they were to ever ask each other who their soulmate is - who was created solely for them to take on the world together - they would reply without hesitation,

"You."

 

 

 

THE END.