Thank You

Tattoo.

Eunyi enters the frozen yogurt place and looks around until she spots Minri. The other is sitting at a table for two, and once she spots Eunyi, she gives a smile and receives one in return.

"Hey!" Eunyi greets brightly once she sits in front of Min. 

"Hi," is her reply with a small, cute smile.

"Shall we get some frozen yogurt?" Eunyi suggests and Min gets up.

The two walk to the yogurt bar with their bowls, filling them with contents to their desire. Minri ends up paying for both of them, arguing with Eunyi that she suddenly called her out of no where to meet up. Eunyi admits defeat, but not before saying,

"Next time, it's my turn then."

The girls sit at the table where Min was initially waiting, and proceeded to enjoy their frozen yogurt.

"So, why'd you want to meet up all of a sudden?" Eunyi asks, and assures,

"I mean, I don't mind, obviously.. But we're not necessarily close, you know?"

Minri agrees, nodding while she takes another scoop of her yogurt.

"I feel like it would be easier to talk to someone that doesn't know too much about me."

"Ah, those ones..." Eunyi says, and Minri looks at her as if questioning if Eunyi really knew what she meant.

"It's easier to confess your deepest secrets and concerns to someone who hasn't known you for so long, because then their idea of you can't really change. They don't judge you for your past because they barely know your present. It's a weird sense of comfort from someone you don't really know."

Minri looks at her amazed,

"Wow... You and Jae are like perfect for each other." she comments and Eunyi smiles awkwardly, accompanied by a just as awkward chuckle.

Min takes a deep breath before saying,

"Brian and I broke up."

Eunyi's eyes widen and she almost drops her spoon,

"Seriously?!"

The other is now wearing a sad smile and nods in confirmation.

"W-what went wrong? You guys looked so happy..." Eunyi trails off, knowing very well herself that not everything relationship is as it seems.

"It wasn't a bad parting, or anything like that... It was more of a "we both know things aren't the same, so why are we still holding on" type thing."

Eunyi lends her ear to Minri who is explaining to her what happened.

"I'm sorry..." Eunyi says, and Minri shakes her head,

"Don't be," she replies.

The two are quiet for a while, Eunyi scraping the bottom of her bowl is the only sound coming from between them.

"I did the right thing, didn't I?" Min asks and Eunyi looks into her eyes.

"The fact that I let Bri go because I know I'm not the one in his heart anymore, for breaking up with someone I love despite every fibre of my being telling me that maybe I could hold on and we could work this out... I did the right thing, right?"

She gives a comforting smile as she says,

"Yeah, yeah you did... That was really mature of you, and I'm sure Brian is thankful to have had someone as understanding as you."

"Thank you," Min finds herself saying to which the other young lady replies,

"Don't be thankful. Just telling you the truth, what you deserve to hear." 

The girls end up discussing random things, moving on from the saddening topic to why Eunyi loaded on mini cheesecake bits. The two leave the frozen yogurt place and begin walking off what they ate, it's already dark outside however the streetlights are providing enough lighting for them to walk comfortably.

"I hope you and Jae last a long time..." Min says, and Eunyi can tell from her eyes that she's being sincere.

"I don't think we will.. I think our time is just about up," 

"What makes you say that?"

"I think we're on the same boat, Min. Pretty sure his heart is lingering elsewhere," Eunyi stretches while looking at the sky,

"Guess I'm gonna be single soon," she says and Min looks at her curiously.

"When I do become single, expect a call from me, okay?" 

Minri laughs and nods, figuring it wouldn't be a bad time. 

 

Eunyi is currently in bed just about ready to fall asleep but then her phone goes off. She thinks to herself that she just can't get a break from messages today, and that maybe she should turn on the 'Do Not Disturb' function. 

jae: r u asleep? 

Eunyi looks at her phone and contemplates on whether or not she should pretend like she didn't see the message and just go to sleep.

eunyi: no i'm sleep texting you

jae: wow the sarcasm is so real

eunyi: realer than our relationship

Eunyi laughs at her own reply and watches her screen as Jae types up,

jae: oh my god you did not just-

eunyi: lol so what's up? how was hanging out with bri?

jae: well, let's just say he's the reason i can't sleep

The girl eyes her phone, thinking before typing

eunyi: oh god, i don't even wanna know

jae: what? nO NOT LIKE THAT-

eunyi: ok seriously, why're you texting me so late

jae: i needed to tell someone and i'm pretty sure wonpil is out with sungjin or something

eunyi: then tell me, child

jae: excuse u, i'm older, how am i the child?

eunyi: cause you're beating around the bush and not teLLLING ME WHY YOU'RE TEXTING 

jae: w0w ok i'll just tell you tomorrow then

eunyi: what no you can't do that. now i'm curious

Eunyi shifts around in her bed, yawning as she feels herself having difficulty keeping her eyes open but deciding to persevere to satisfy her curiosity.

jae: you can't tell anyone, ok?

eunyi: yup yup

jae: ok so... min and brian broke up

eunyi: oh yeah, ik that

jae: what, how?

eunyi: i have my resources, continue.

jae: .... anyway, so yeah they broke up and then brian kissed me.

Eunyi takes note that Jae's short reply took quite a while to type, and she assumes he was hesitant to tell her that last part. 

eunyi: ohoho look @ u, gettin' it

jae: pls take me seriously, that actually has me in such a mess.

eunyi: yeah, but i'm sure it's not just you. brian's thoughts are probably in a mess too, i mean think about it. he broke up with his girlfriend of almost 4 years for a chance. for you, an uncertain future, so hey, idk anything for sure but imma take a guess that both of you aren't in the most organized state of mind.

She struggles to type that reply, as she starts to be consumed by slumber. The last thing she sees before she falls asleep is the three dots meaning Jae is typing up a reply.

 

Jae stares at his phone, waiting for Eunyi to reply, but when she doesn't for about 7 minutes, he decides he should sleep too. He pictures Eunyi sleeping in her bed, struggling to stay up to text him, and he feels this wave of gratitude. However, after that wave, another one comes but this time it's this feeling of selfishness. The realization of: he has Eunyi, who is an amazing person that sincerely likes him and treats him like a dream, yet wants Brian who might want him too. Now, it's no longer the recent memory of Brian's lips on his that's keeping Jae awake. It's the sudden self awareness that has Jae wondering if it's okay to be that selfish and pursue Brian and to leave Eunyi who is already alone yet continues to smile her bright, classical smile. That's what's now keeping the author awake despite wanting to sleep, which he eventually does but not until the sky is becoming lighter.

 

 

Eunyi wakes up the next morning and immediately sees Jae's reply of

jae: how are you so wise? you're literally amazing you know that?

Eunyi laughs at the text, and she's tempted to type back "if you keep saying things like that, it won't make it any easier for me to get over you", but instead she says

eunyi: duh. now, take my amazing self out for dinner tonight !

She doesn't expect a reply right away since it's still considerably early in the morning, and simply gets out of bed. She makes her way to the kitchen and makes herself a cup of coffee, an Iced Americano and she takes a sip and concludes that it doesn't taste the same as the one Jae orders from the cafe. 

"Hey," her roommate greets and Eunyi smiles and says the same back

"Oh, by the way, there's some raw pasta in the cupboards if you're going to cook dinner tonight,"

"I have a date" Eunyi replies,

"Oh, do you?" Jiseo says, amused and her eyebrows are raised and Eunyi says,

"Yup. My last one with him," 

"What? What do you mean?"

"You'll see the headlines soon enough,"

Eunyi leaves the kitchen, taking the mug of coffee up to her room and settling back into her bed. She checks her phone and sees Jae's reply of

jae: ok pick a place, i'll pick you up @ 7

She looks at her phone almost surprised that Jae actually said yes, but she's glad. Eunyi decides to spend her morning and afternoon reading, and she picks up a novel without looking and laughs to herself as she reads Jae's name on the cover. She's about to return it back in the basket of books beside her bed, but figures why not? and proceeds to read.

 

Brian messages Minri for the first time in what feels like weeks, but it's only been a couple of days. It's already about 5pm and he wonders where the Hell his day went.

brian: hey... do you mind if we meet up? 

minri: hi. yeah, when?

Brian lets out a sigh a relief, grateful that Minri is still willing to meet him,

brian: right now, if you can? 

minri: kk, i'll meet you @ the apartment in 10?

brian: sounds good

Minri doesn't text back and Brian assumes it's because she's getting ready for his sudden invitation, and so he decides to send one last text before doing the same.

brian: thank you.

 

Minri knocks on the apartment door that she used to just enter into with a key, but figures it's only right to knock. Brian opens the door and gives her an awkward smile and Minri laughs,

"That was dashing," she comments and her laugh turns Brian's smile sincere,

"Sorry," he replies with a chuckle.

The two settle in the living room, and Minri breaks the awkward silence,

"So, why'd you want to see me today?"

Brian looks at her, his expression serious as he replies,

"I think it's only right that..." he thinks of how to word this,

"I tell you everything, or at least what I think I know. I don't like leaving you in the dark and not being able to give you an answer, so that's what I wanted to do today. Tell you why I let you go. and explain myself to you."

Minri looks at him, she doesn't know if she wants to hear all of this, but she's appreciative that Brian's taking initiative. She nods and just replies,

"Thank you." and then settles into the couch to listen to what Brian has to say.

Brian looks around the room and begins saying,

"Before I had a reset, before I met you or even came back from Canada... I went by the name of Younghyun- that's my birth name. Kang Younghyun," he says and Minri nods, having already known that.

"Younghyun... He- Gosh it sounds so weird addressing Younghyun in 3rd person, considering he's technically me," he comments, a weird smile on his face and Minri continues to listen.

"He was different. He wasn't the same as me - completely opposite in some ways. He wasn't that great of a musician, but he drew a lot, apparently. He liked chocolate cake and found the flavour of vanilla boring. But, there is one thing in common between Younghyun and I. The reason I'm telling you this is because Younghyun had someone special to him. Someone that he loved and loved him back, someone that my parents didn't approve of. And I- I don't know if you're going to react the same way and I'm so scared that you will... I'm scared that this will just happen all over again but I'm taking a chance. The reason I was suddenly sent to Canada, the reason my whole life as Younghyun is never spoken about... The reason my mom's so thrilled that someone as amazing as you had gotten together with me, why she was suggesting the idea of marriage... was because the person I loved was a guy. Not a girl, with long hair and a petite figure, but a boy with short hair who was tall and who hasn't changed that much," he says with a smile, 

"Meeting that person now, as Brian, not knowing anything about Younghyun. I think I've fallen for him again, but I don't know if we'll work out. I don't want you to think that I was using you to try and get over these feelings because I swear to you that I didn't even know I had them. I don't want you to think I was dating you to hide from my parents, I really want you to know that I truly loved you, and- and even now I really care about you and that's why I'm telling you." 

Brian looks up for the first time ever since he started talking, and Minri's crying.

"Brian... I want you to know that I'm not disgusted or that I think any way like your parents... Obviously, this is a lot to take in at once especially because I never knew about any of this, and.. I wish I did. I wish you told my earlier, but I can understand why you didn't. I'm sorry that you had to suffer this alone, confused-"

"Please don't apologize." Brian says, almost pleading, and Minri nods.

"Is it too much to ask if you told me his name?"

Brian thinks for a bit,

"Ah... It'll be awkward because you know him."

Minri thinks for a while and her eyes widen,

"Do you like Sungjin?!"

Brian laughs and profusely denies,

"No no! Not him...." he's quiet for a bit before continuing,

"It's Jae."

Minri looks at him shocked,

"Oh." is her response and Brian nods. 

"Well... that's interesting..." she says and then gasps,

"Wait, so then... His book and your tattoo..."

"Yeah," Brian says and sighs,

"All of this is so complicated."

"Yeah, wait. What about Eunyi?-"

And the timing is perfect because Minri's phone goes off with a text alert. On her screen it reads

eunyi: pls be free tonight! maybe we can get some coffee or something sweet.

Brian tries to take a peak and Minri catches him,

"Excuse me, Mr. Nosy," 

Brian chuckles and then looks at Minri who jokes around,

"I'm not your girlfriend anymore, so don't go snooping through my messages,"

"Your password is probably still the same."

Minri looks at Brian and quickly takes out her phone, and within a minute she looks back up and says,

"Not anymore."

He laughs with her and the two just settle into comfortable silence.

"You know Min, I'm really thankful for you. I'm grateful and so lucky that it's you who I was dating," Brian says and Minri gives him a smile. 

"You know, I'll always be here for you. Even if it's just as a friend, I'm thankful that we can continue being in each other's lives."

"I really hope you find someone that'll make you happier than I ever could,"

"Shouldn't be too hard..." Minri jokes and Brian scoffs,

"Wow, low blow."

The two spend a while talking, discussing how they're going to deal with the apartment and other things that were too sensitive of topics to discuss when they had last seen each other.

 

 

"There're a lot of people watching us.." Jae comments as he takes a sip of his water. Eunyi and the author are currently at a relatively fancy restaurant,

"Good," Eunyi says under her breath,

"What was that?" Jae asks for clarification,

"Nothing," she replies with a smile and Jae eyes her suspiciously.

The two are just finishing their dinner, Jae's talking about starting a new book soon looking down at his plate, picking at the carrots with his fork and when he looks up, he's shocked.

"E-Eunyi, what's wrong? Why're you crying-" Jae's concerned whispers are cut off with a,

"It's okay."

Eunyi says, her voice a little louder than what it had been previously, and Jae can hear a few conversations die down. Jae just looks at her confused, and that's exactly what Eunyi wanted. A genuine reaction; because she concluded that if her and Jae had planned this beforehand it wouldn't be that convincable.

"Eunyi-"

"It's fine. I get it." she looks at him with a smile, and at this point everyone is looking, whispering about the author and his girlfriend who are supposedly breaking up. Jae finally gets the message and gives her a sad smile, realizing she's doing this for him,

"Thank you... And I'm sorry, I really am."

Eunyi laughs and gives her the classic smile and extends her hand,

"Friends?" 

Jae shakes her hand and says,

"Friends."

The duo leave the restaurant shortly after that, and once they get in the car they stay in the parking lot for a while. Eunyi is wiping her tears, looking at her reflection while complaining about her mascara smudging.

"I can't believe you did that." Jae says, laughing,

"Hey, it was bound to happen."

"But at a restaurant?!"

"Yeah! It's perfect, because then we have several witnesses to spread the story of a good, clean break-up,"

"You cried!"

"If I didn't cry, it would all look so fake, I swear to you. The tears were a good touch, because we were smiling by the end anyway!"

Jae scoffs and shakes his head in disbelief.

"You know, you could've given me a sign, a hint or something,"

"I feel like you would've been a really bad actor." Eunyi replies while shrugging.

He just looks at Eunyi, amazed once again and starts laughing.

"You're freakin' incredible," he says and starts to drive off,

"Yeah, I know! Now drop me off at the cafe,"

"Yes, ma'am," Jae says and smiles.

Eunyi rolls down the window and turns on the radio and starts singing, and Jae joins her.

They're close to the cafe and Eunyi is on her phone,

"Oh, man reporters are fast,"

"Are there already articles up?"

"Yeah! The titles are positive, but I'm assuming you're gonna get a call from your manager soon,"

"Probably..." Jae says, slightly worried about what his manager is going to say.

They get to the cafe and Eunyi steps out, but not before saying to Jae,

"And now, you're free. With me out of the picture, there are still so many things you have to deal with if you and Brian are going to work out... But, I think you guys can do it." 

Jae watches her walk to the entrance of the cafe, but before she gets too far he rolls down the window

"Eunyi!" he calls out and she turns around,

"Thank you." the author's sincere smile makes Eunyi roll her eyes,

"Yeah, yeah now go! You're embarrassing me, we just broke up" she says and Jae looks at the few people looking at them, whispering to each other and he laughs, waves and proceeds to drive away.

 

"Eunyi!" Minri says once she enteres the cafe, and Eunyi smiles and waves, and does the same to Sungjin who is working.

"I just saw the articles, and really? At a restaurant?"

"Hey, at least the food was good," she jokes around.

The two spend a while at the cafe, talking, drinking and eating.

Despite all their different situations, the one thing in common between Eunyi, Minri, Jae and Brian was that today, they all felt extremely thankful; for each other.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

you guys. can we talk about how "You Were Beautiful" is extremely close to my piece of writing "It Was Beautiful" found in Words. ?? Like, it's literally about a couple that broke up yet the person still views their memories and experiences as beautiful- IT WAS SO WEIRD. WHEN I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE SIMILARITY I KEPT SCREECHING LOL (: and then i checked when i wrote it on my phone, and i wrote it on May 6. literally the 6th day of May, help I'm- 

illuminati confirmed LOL just kidding!

ANYWAY! I don't know if you guys saw it already, but myself along with 2 other authors have decided to write a collection of Jaehyungparkian oneshots! The total piece is called Pandora. Please show lots of love and support to it, and go subscribe! I'll be posting there too, so if you enjoy my writing please check it out! (: Just click the title above and it'll take you to the story!

Now, regarding Tattoo; i love eunyi and minri so much (: LOL ik they're my characters, but i think they're pretty cool. From now on, the story will mainly focus on Jae and Brian and their struggle and progress(?), however I will definitely mention our other characters! Oh also, any suggestions on what I should do with Min and Eunyi? I want them both to be happy, but idk how. 

i hope you guys enjoyed this chapter, and pls go check out the collection of jaebri stories ! :D love you guys, hope you guys didn't wait too long. i'll try and stick with this update time, hopefully even more frequently because i want jae and bri to have some happiness too LOL. until then, PEACE! ^_^ - Zen