Believe

Tattoo.

The 3 adults settle into the seats that are situated in front of the reporters, behind a table with microphones for them to speak in. Jinhae decides to make his way to the reporters in the front, probably making a warning of keeping the articles truthful to what is about to be said.

Jae is seated in the middle while Brian and Eunyi are on either side, all of them nervous, but Jae's voice isn't shaking as he says,

"Thank you all, for coming here today."

They hear the high screams of presumed fans and Jae just gives them a small smile and nod.

"I'd like to ask for question to be held off until the end. Please give us a chance to explain ourselves and the situation, and then you may ask for clarification or any elaboration. Can we agree on that?" Jae asks, and Brian wonders if it's just his imagination or his boyfriend's whole demeanour just changed.

Upon seeing the majority of the reporters and fans nod, Jae proceeds to say,

"Thank you. Now, the reason I've asked for this conference to be arranged..." he takes a deep breath and suddenly misses the feeling of Brian's hand in his.

"Is because I want to tell you guys the truth."

Brian and Eunyi are facing forward, looking for a familiar face in the crowd that they know they won't find, just something to focus on.

"You guys may recognize the girl to my left, Eunyi."

She waves sheepishly at the crowd,

"She was introduced to you guys as my girlfriend. And if you know that, you know that we broke up." Eunyi nods and Jae gives her a smile before turning his attention to his right.

"The guy to my right, however, may be a face you've never seen before."

Brian's looking at Jae with an expression that's a mixture of anxious yet happy.

"He's handsome, right?" Jae asks and his fans reply with a,

"Yes!" and that causes the 3 to laugh.

The atmosphere at the moment is odd. For now, it's positive, the mood uplifted after Jae's previous question. But it's like that unsettling happiness, that sense of security right before a storm hits, right before everything comes crumbling down and one doesn't know if things will be okay.

"Hmm..." Jae hums into the mic,

"Actually, I think we'll give you guys a little introduction. You may think you know me, but you know what tabloids and interviews decide to put out. You think you know eunyi, but you know what the confirmed articles say about her. And him," the author says, pointing at Brian

"You don't even know his name."

Brian and Eunyi find themselves admiring how Jae is speaking at the moment. Their hearts are racing meanwhile Jae's voice is so steady that they become envious. His words are smooth, and he sounds prepared but they all know he didn't write out a script the night before. The author is casual as he says,

"My name is Park Jaehyung. I really prefer being called Jae, seriously, if you call me Jaehyung we're most likely not close at all. I'm an author, most of you know that. I'm 24 years old. Some of my favourite things in the world include books, Iced Americanos, my friends and family... and dandelions. I have a tattoo, most of you probably don't know that, but now you do. Oh yeah, and I really like comfortable sweater,"

"It's true. His sweaters feel like you're being hugged by a cloud." Eunyi adds, and the comment is replied with light laughter.

Jae sits back, gesturing for either one of them to introduce themselves.

"Hi! I'm Eunyi, more commonly known as Jae's ex-girlfriend," she laughs a bit before continuing,

"Like Jae, I like Iced Americanos. I appreciate long drives at night and singing along to the radio, and I love comedy movies. I'm 23, yeah I know I look young,"

Brian's laugh is a lot louder than he intended it to be, and Eunyi shoots him a glare while the crowd laughs a bit too.

"Anyway!" Eunyi says, laughing along with the 2 men to her right, and she adds

"Right now, I'm just a freelance actress."

And that causes the whispers to start. It's a dull buzz, but the 3 know that now the crowd is talking. Eunyi looks at Jae, her expression asking if she's said something wrong, and Jae just smiles and shakes his head. The author thinks,

Good. Let them think, let them have a chance to wonder 'if Eunyi's an actress then...'

Brian clears his throat before speaking into the mic,

"Uh, hello."

And the buzz starts again. Jae smiles as he wonders what his fans are talking about. Probably Brian's low voice that's a little raspy but smooth for the most part. Or maybe it's his sharp features, or his cold eyes that look so enchanting when he's smiling.

"My name is Brian Kang, I'm the same age as Jae, 24. I work as a barista at a cafe with my bestfriend, but I like to call myself a musician." Brian thinks for a bit, not knowing what else to say,

"Oh I also have a tattoo. I studied in Toronto, Canada for a bit and I like writing songs, just relaxing at home and I like horror movies."

Brian sits back and Jae says,

"Okay! Now that you know us, you're probably wondering how we're all connected, because we are in some way. That's why we're here in front of you today, to tell you guys. We asked you guys to come here so that we could tell you guys the truth."

The 3 exchange glances, and it's quiet for a while. There's so much to say, so much to clarify and make known, and Brian and Eunyi are waiting for Jae to start. The reporters look more than ready, hands at their laptop and the fans are practically on the edge of their seats.

And so, it begins.

"So, to start off..." Jae says, and looks at Eunyi,

"Us 2." the author gestures between him and Eunyi and continues, "We never really dated."

Brian can hear the people in front of them typing. Eunyi nods, as the buzz starts up again.

"Yup. That article confirming our 'relationship' was confirming something that wasn't even true." she says and continues on,

"But upon hanging out with him and having to act like we were dating, I came to realize that he's actually really great, and that's why I came here today. I could've asked for my privacy to be protected, but the fact that Jae actually wants to reveal the truth is something I really hope you guys keep in mind while listening to what we have to say, today."

Jae says,

"I'm sorry that I lied to you guys about that, and I'm really thankful that you guys actually supported our 'relationship'." he scratches the back of his neck before saying,

"You guys are probably curious as to why we were in a fake public relationship. That's the more complicated truth that may cause an uproar, but... I'm tired of hiding it."

Brian patiently waits his turn to talk, and he feels like it's coming soon.

"Do you guys remember when Eunyi and I's relationship was announced?" he asks, and he sees a few fans nod.

"Did you guys find it interesting that it was announced right after that big thing with that woman and I at the airport? If not... then our relationship did its job... It distracted you."

Eunyi is just twirling her thumbs, silently encouraging Jae and Brian with her comforting expression.

"That woman who slapped me..." Jae takes a breath and then Brian chimes in,

"Is my mom."

Jae looks to his right, and gives Brian a smile and that pushes Brian to continue, ignoring the buzz that seems to just get louder.

"Before I say anything else, I just wanna make a quick disclaimer that Jae and I are absolutely not enemies... But, I'll just apologize on behalf of my mom. Now, the reason she slapped him... Uh..."

His voice trails off, searching for how to explain this and bracing himself for the reaction. His eyes are fixated on the table, some overwhelming emotion not allowing him to look up at the expectant faces.

"Was because I like Jae. A lot. Like, not as a friend... but as in I like him so much that want to hold his hand everyday, I want to be the one he wakes up to in the morning." Brian tries his best to ignore the surprised faces in the crowd, and the whispers that seem like screams at the moment.

"And so, my mom couldn't accept that. No way would she let her son fall for someone else's son."

Jae looks at Brian and wishes he could just hold his hand right now,

"Within the time Eunyi and Jae were 'together', I actually had a girlfriend, myself. But at some point, I couldn't see her as my girlfriend anymore. She's great and she noticed me changing. She noticed that she didn't have my full attention anymore and the reason was him," Brian looks to his left, finding comfort in Jae's eyes. 

"I like him too, so it's not a one-sided thing." Jae says, laughing a bit,

"Actually, I've liked him for a while. When I wrote 'Float On...', that novel was me trying to reach out to him. What I said during an interview, about me not dating anyone before, that was true. Because his parents wouldn't accept us if we dated. And yeah, things hurt. The slap hurt, but a lot of things hurt like Hell. Seeing him with a girlfriend, having to deal with my emotions by myself... Having to hide this side of me from you guys, the public, because let's face it; there are gonna be people, maybe even people in this room, that are disgusted with the idea of a man dating another man."

The room is quiet, everyone trying to process everything except the reporters who are typing, trying to quote whoever and whatever they can to get an accurate article.

"I put him through so much crap..." Brian admits, smiling to the ceiling but it's not a happy smile.

"So much crap that he could've avoided, and just be with someone who wasn't so problematic and difficult to be with. He could've stayed with Eunyi to avoid the backlash from homophobic people, or he could've been with a guy whose parents are fully supportive, or just someone that has no chance of waking up one day and not knowing who he is."

The author's expression is concerned, he almost wants to tell Brian that he doesn't have to reveal his condition to everyone, that he doesn't have to explain himself.

"I have this condition, and it basically consists of this constant possibility of me suddenly not knowing who I am, where I am, who's around me. It basically resets my memory... I can't control it, and I have no idea of telling when it's gonna happen... And the fact that he basically lives with that same worry, alongside me is something I'll always be sorry for."

"I want to make this clear to everyone listening, and to those who will be reading whatever the reporters decide to release... I am happy. I'm so much happier than I was months ago. A couple of months ago I was waiting...Waiting for something I didn't even know for sure would return. I would sometimes feel bad for smiling, or doing something that made me happy, but now..."

He makes eye contact with Brian and for a few seconds they forget that they're not the only 2 in the room. But that feeling of being alone amidst a crowd never felt so amazing than just then.

"Now, I'm so happy. And I... I don't want to hide it anymore. I want to be able to show him off, show off my happiness that I lost for a while."

Looking at his fans, Jae can't tell if they feel disgusted, angry, offended, betrayed, or happy for him.

"Before we take any questions, I'll just ask that you guys listen to another introduction from us. Once again, I'm Park Jaehyung and I'm in a relationship, a serious one," Jae clarifies, "with Brian Kang."

Eunyi leans forward,

"I'm Eunyi, Jae's fake ex-girlfriend."

Brian tries to contain his smile as he says,

"I'm Jaehyung's boyfriend, Brian Kang."

The 3 are looking out to the crowd, preparing for the worst and looking for some kind of clue within the expressions of the fans.

One of the girls stand up, catching all of their attention, and the couple prepares for maybe something being thrown at them. Or maybe, she's going to walk out, clearly not supporting Jaehyung anymore, or she's going to scream something repulsive and insensitive towards them, they're bracing themselves for anything.

"It's okay!" is what she screams, with a huge smile on her face.

"We still love you!" another voice calls out, and Jae and Brian catch themselves smiling.

"At least he's handsome!"

"We're happy that you're happy! Have a healthy and happy relationship!"

Soon enough, the screams of support just turn into a cheer, and the couple look at each other. Their eyes are teary, but it's happy tears. Both of them feel like a huge burden has been lifted off their shoulders, and they resist the urge to kiss right then and there. Eunyi is smiling too, relieved and happy that this was the response they received. Brian catches a glimpse of the reporters who are smiling, typing as the supportive cheer just continues.

When things finally settle down, the 3 are just left in awe. Neither of them speaking, just exchanging glances of amazement and happiness. Jinhae is watching, proud and glad that they held this press conference.

It's quiet, and Jae's about to say something when a fan yells,

"Thank you for telling us! Stay happy!"

And that causes a wave of 'thank you's from the crowd, and Jae is overwhelmed with gratitude. He starts to cry, a smile on his face as he echoes,

"Thank you." and Brian joins in,

"Thank you!"

After another cheer, the 3 start taking questions from reporters. Brian clarifies his condition, Jae talks about the state of their relationship, and Eunyi elaborates on her career and that her and Jae actually get along really well. The press conference ends with good vibes, Jinhae making another warning to the reporters, and saying thank you to those gathered at the conference. 

The 3 stand up from the table, and bow. All of them smiling as they wave, and unlike how they walked in, Jae and Brian hold hands, and all of them have a smile on their face.

Meeting back in the room they were initially waiting in, the mood is much different. Jinhae's smiling as he walks in,

"Hey," he says,

"I'm really proud of you guys, all of you. And you, your fans are the best," Jinhae adds, directed at Jae,

"Yeah, I know. I gotta give them another novel soon, my token of gratitude." he replies, laughing as he naturally links hands with Brian.

"Within the next few days, a lot of attention is gonna be on you guys. The stuff you revealed today is bound to cause some kind of reaction, so just be aware of that."

"As expected of my manager," Jae says, nodding as if he's impressed with Jinhae's words,

"Shut up," he responds, laughing and the group laughs too.

"Thanks, Jinhae... For making this whole thing happen." 

"Are you kidding? You're the one who wanted this to happen, I didn't even do anything. I called people and advertised it, you guys are the ones who did the most here."

They talk a bit more, all of them sharing the surprise of the fans' reactions. It's a pleasant surprise and the positive mood stays with them in Jinhae's car, dropping all of them off to avoid any press following them home. Jae gets off at Brian's apartment, and they partically run inside as instructed by Jinhae. They elevator ride up seems painfully long, and they almost race into Brian's unit. 

Once they're inside, they almost immediately hug, Brian lifting Jae despite him being taller, and spinning around. The smile on Jae's face is so enchanting that Brian whispers,

"Oh my God..."

"What?" Jae asks, his arms around Brian's neck as he doesn't break eye contact

"I'm so happy that you're mine."

The author blushes and he kisses Brian but both of them smile soon enough. Jae runs around the apartment, and Brian acts out the urge to chase him. Jae runs into the bedroom and jumps on the bed where he just lays there and smiles.

"I get to live here, now."

Brian's smile is wide as he joins Jae on the bed, laying beside him,

"I get to hold your hand in public, and- and we can go on dates! We don't have to hide it- hide us... God, this is amazing! This happiness is surreal, am I dreaming?-"

Jae's ramble is cut off by another sweet kiss. Jae practically melts into it, and Brian pulls away slowly, looking into Jae's eyes.

"I'm so head over heels for you, it's unbelievable." he says, and the latter just smiles and responds,

"Believe me when I say that I'm just as crazy for you as you think you are for me..."

As they talk about the events of today, their position changes so that Jae's head is resting in Brian's lap, and Jae wonders how he still manages to look so breathtaking at that angle. Brian's playing with Jae's hair mindlessly, talking about Jae crying at the conference and the author tells him he has no right to mock considering he was teary-eyed too.

Jae decides to go home that night, Brian's cute pout not convincing him to stay, his reason being he wants to spend a little time in his apartment before he has to move out.

The author enters his apartment that feels a bit empty, for some reason, and he makes his way to his room where there are already boxes that have a few of his things inside. He showers and gets into some comfortable clothing before sending Brian a good night text. Laying in his bed, he smiles again. The overwhelming happiness, the unexpected response from the fans, the idea of holding Brian's hand in public... 

All these things that Jae's so happy about, even the happiness itself, is something that he describes as unbelievable.

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

hi you guys! I know I said it'd be a while before I updated, but I wanted to post something before my birthday. (: ALSO day6's song isn't coming out on my birthday cRIES LMAO SO CLOSE-

oh btw guys! I did a cover of "I'm Serious" (really late, i know) but if you'd wanna give a listen, just click here!

also, I do vocal covers of kpop songs on instagram, so please check out my account and maybe follow if you like my voice?? LOL Idk- it's @zenkrcovers

ANYWAY ABOUT THE CHAPTER; ah yes! another thing gone right, his fans didn't cause an uproar. I figured that if you love someone as a fan you should accept them as they are. (: it may be a really wishful philosophy considering today's world, but i'm just gonna choose to believe in the good in people. 

as always, please please pleeaseee comment anything you have to say about this chapter! gUYS WE'RE ALMOST AT 200 COMMENTS I'M SO HAPPY AND EXCITED- it may not have been as dramatic as you guys had hoped so sorry about that. 

i'll most likely take a lil writing break, but it won't be too long! until the next update, PEACE! <3  - Zen