Just

Tattoo.

The faint, steady beeping of a machine is what Jae awakes to. It gradually gets louder as he slowly opens his eyes. The image is blurred at first, but then Wonpil's face comes into focus.

"Jae?" he asks, cautiously.

Jae blinks a few times before concluding he's in the hospital. He proceeds to sit up, and Wonpil has his hand on his shoulder,

"Hey, hey, slow down..."

It's odd, considering they've always been bickering. Wonpil and Jae never really showed each other their serious sides, let alone expressed concern for each other.

"I'm fine," Jae says and he notices how weak his voice sounds. He clears his throat and Wonpil just stares at him. 

"What time is it?"

Wonpil checks his phone and replies,

"3:09PM,"

And then it gets quiet.

The most recent events replay in Jae's mind.

He clearly remembers driving down what seemed like a clear road. It was dark and peacefully quiet, right until the bright flash of another car's headlights and the blaring sound of the car horn resounds through the night.

Sungjin walks in and Jae assumes he dropped Wonpil off before going to find parking.

"Oh hey, you're awake." he says, a relieved smile on his face.

"Yeah," Jae replies, still trying to process what happened.

A doctor soon follows in the room and looks at Jae, pleasantly surprised.

"Jaehyung, I see you're awake."

The other nods as the doctor begins checking on Jae's breathing, and his responsiveness. When the doctor concludes that there isn't anything noticably wrong with Jae's basic functions, he takes a step back.

"Do you remember what happened last night?"

"I was driving, and the- the road was clear, I swear... But he came out of no where, I had right of way, it was go..." he says and then trails off.

"Do you mind if I explain to you exactly what happened?" the doctor politely asks.

"Please," Jae gives him permission although he's unsure of why he even asked.

"You are right, you did have the right of way. The other driver ran through the red light, and t-boned your car, and thankfully it was a collision on the passenger side. However, the impact did cause your vehicle to roll over, which explains your injuries. Now, during your scans we didn't find any major bone breaks or fractures, which is good news." 

Jae sighs in relief, and Wonpil does the same. He's currently standing beside Sungjin who has a comforting arm around his shoulders.

"But, when your car rolled over, you hit your head significantly hard, which caused the bleeding, that's why it's bandaged up."

Jae reaches up to his head and feels that it's bandaged,

"Oh, well then." he comments and a light laughter fills the room. Jae looks around the room and realizes there's some stuff in the chairs to the side, and he wonders if Wonpil stayed the night.

With that, 2 people walk in and both of them seem extremely relieved to see Jae awake and sitting up.

The doctor proceeds to say,

"From that impact, there is no eternal bleeding. However, we do suspect short-term memory loss."

Everyone in the room freezes.

"We don't know for sure, but it seems like you recognized everyone here." the doctor finishes off, and Jae goes on to name everyone in the room.

"Wonpil, Sungjin, Eunyi..." he pauses as he looks at Brian,

"Younghyun?"

Brian's heart sinks, and Wonpil's eyes go wide.

"Younghyun, are you back?-"

"That's not Younghyun." Wonpil says, and he bites his lower lip.

The doctor feels the mood that suddenly got dark, and he says,

"We'll observe you for a few days, tracking your memory. I'm sure your friends can also help." With a smile, he adds,

"Well then, I'll be off. I'll check up on you later, Jaehyung." 

As the doctor is making his way out the door, Brian stops him,

"Hey Doc, could I talk to you for a second?"

This results in the two talking outside of Jae's room,

"It is only temporary, I assure you."

"When, uh, when will he get his memories back?"

"That, I can't assure you."

The doctor looks at the young man whose eyes look lost, panicked and solemn.

"He will remember you." is his parting words, tapping Brian on the arm and giving a supporting smile.

Brian doesn't go back into the room just yet. Instead, he leans on the wall, tilts his head back and closes his eyes. He hadn't slept that much, as he had called the police, came to the hospital with Jae, and stayed in the night in his room. He sighs, as thoughts fill his head.

So this is what it felt like.

This is what Jae experienced when I didn't recognize him; when he couldn't treat me the same because I didn't know who he was. This is how alone I made him feel, leaving him to deal with it himself... But, it's so unfair because he will remember.

The doctor can guarantee Brian that Jae will remember; but Jae didn't have that comfort. No one could've told Jae that Brian would remember him, for sure. 

It's sad, how horribly timed this incident is.

Just when they were finally making progress, just when they affirmed everything and told each other they would try. Right after Eunyi had done Jae a favour, and Minri had talked things out with Brian-

"Hey,"

Brian opens his eyes and turns to the left to see Sungjin.

"You okay?" he asks,

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine... Is Jae okay?"

"Yeah, seems like it. Bri, you look so tired, maybe you should go home and nap. Wonpil and I will probably stay as long as we can, so just go home and sleep a bit, yeah?"

"I'm okay, Sungjin. I should ask if he needs anything-"

"Brian. He's fine, what you need right now is some sleep. C'mon, I'll drop you off."

The way Sungjin is looking into Brian's eyes tells him he has no patience for arguing, and he's just sincerely concerned for him. 

"Okay. Let me just grab my stuff," he says and then they enter the room together.

Jae looks cute with that bandage around his head, and that classic goofy smile on his face. Brian can't help but think that, but he decides to just continue on with his goal of collecting his things.

"You heading home, Brian?" Wonpil asks, and the other nods in response.

Jae's eyes follow Brian's, but not in a loving and yearning way, it was more like he was observing.

"You're the one who brought me here?" Jae asks and Brian says,

"I rode in the ambulance with you."

"Did you stay the night?"

"Yeah," he says, scratching the back of his head, wearing an awkward smile.

"You look like you haven't gotten a wink of sleep." the author comments and Brian notes how he's just as easy-to-talk-to as he was when they first met.

"Yeah, I didn't... Wanted to monitor you, see if you woke up."

That conversation ends there with both parties just nodding.

"Hey, Eunyi could you pass me that water please?"

Brian notes that he recognizes Eunyi, so it's most likely only him he has forgotten.

"Why me? Wonpil is standing right there," she jokes around, reaching for the water and hesitating when Jae replies,

"Because you're my girlfriend!"

Brian's eyes shift to the floor and when he looks up, he notices Eunyi looking at him with apologetic eyes. Jae drinks the water unknowingly, not noticing the silence that just got slightly awkward.

"Bri," Sungjin says, motioning towards the door, which Brian proceeds walks towards.

"I'll be back, Wonpil," he adds and then the two are out the door.

Once they get in Sungjin's car, he gets a text from Wonpil.

wonpil: tell brian that eunyi and i will explain everything to jae later.

He tells Brian who just nods, and then leans his head back on the headrest. 5 minutes into the drive and Brian's already passed out, Sungjin takes a peak when stopped at a red light, and sighs. 

Ah, the world is cruel.

Is what Sungjin thinks, and the light turns green.

 

 

Brian wakes up in his apartment, and looks at the digital clock at his bedside. It currently reads 9:14PM and Brian agrees that he did need some sleep. He figures he should go back to the hospital. He packs a bag, bringing along with him books, a few clothes, one of the articles of clothing being Jae's sweater. On the way to the hospital, Brian passes by the diner drive-thru, and picks up some food for him and maybe for Jae if he's up for it. When he gets to the hospital, he parks and then proceeds to make his way to Jae's room.

His room is now dimly lit by the lamp on his bedside table, and Brian sees Wonpil almost asleep, leaning his head on Sungjin's shoulder. Sungjin waves as he nudges Wonpil to wake up. 

Wonpil replies in mumbles when Sungjin whispers,

"Hey, let's go, Brian's here."

Sungjin sighs and proceeds to pick up Wonpil into a piggy-back. Brian smiles at the sweet scene and Sungjin gives him one back, along with a nod as they make their way out.

Brian's eyes settle on Jae's figure in the bed, sleeping soundly and his breathing steady. He goes to the chairs and places his bag on one while he sits in the other.

Brian's spent the next hours or so reading a novel, Jae's novel to be exact. He recalls Minri mentioning it when he had first met Jae, and figures he has a lot of time so why not?

He's immersed in the world of words Jae's brilliance has created. The way the words tattoo the page, yet can become so vivid in one's mind fascinates him. Brian's almost half way through the book, and his heart has been aching for the past two chapters. The underlying emotions of longing, and personal experience just seep through the pages and-

"Enjoying it?"

Brian looks up to see Jae giving him a small smile.

"Yeah, it's... you're amazing."

"Thank you." he replies,

"Sorry, by the way."

"For what?" Brian asks, genuinely confused.

"For forgetting you as soon as we were getting somewhere."

Looks like Wonpil and Eunyi had filled him in while Brian was passed out in his apartment.

"You know, it's fine. I have that reassurance that it's only short-term memory loss, but for you... No one told you that I would remember you for sure."

"And that's fine, too." Jae says,

"Because I fell for you again, so I'm sure I can do it a 3rd time, a 4th... Probably over and over again. And you did the same,"

Brian smiles lovingly at him as they settle into silence.

"Oh uh, I brought some burgers, if you were hungry?"

Jae's expression brightens up,

"Really?" he asks, excited.

At the same time they say,

"Is it from the diner?"

"Yeah, it's from the diner," their last 3 words syncing up.

Brian walks over to the side of Jae's bed,

"Pull up a chair," Jae says,

"You sure?"

"Yeah, it'll be easier than walking back and forth all the time."

"Still want me at your side?" Brian jokes around, wriggling his eyebrows as he brings the chair forward.

"Always," the other replies with a smile.

Brian blushes and looks away as Jae just laughs, receiving the burger and taking a bite. 

The two are enjoying the late meal, talking about random things when they hear a knock at the door and the doctor comes in.

Jae freezes and tries hiding the burger. shoving it in Brian's mouth, and the doctor just chuckles,

"Don't worry, there are no concerns nvolving your digestive system, you can eat what you want."

"Oh." Jae says, and Brian gives his burger back, laughing lightly.

"Hey, you took a bite," the other whines,

"You shoved it in my mouth, it was my first instinct."

"Do you remember him?" the doctor asks, surprised because he didn't expect such a fast recovery of memory.

"Nope," Jae says,

"But it's okay, he's done the same to me." 

The doctor looks at Brian, curious,

"I have dissociative fugue disorder," the young man explain as the doctor nods.

"Ah.. Well, I was just checking up on Jaehyung here. Looks like he's doing fine, and he has some good company,"

Brian gives him a smile,

"Doc," Jae says,

"Don't you find us weird? Like, two guys..."

Brian gives him a bewildered look, his eyes asking why Jae would even ask that. The doctor looks at him seriously for a few moments, but then breaks out into laughter.

"I've been a doctor for about 20 years, Jaehyung and I've seen countless weird things. Now, I've also been married for 15 years... so no, I see nothing weird about love." 

His response makes the two smile,

"You know what Doc, you're pretty cool." Jae says and it makes the 3 laugh.

"You're not too bad yourself, Jaehyung."

"Call me Jae, please. Jaehyung makes me feel stuffy,"

"Sure thing, Jae. You know, for a man who was just invovled in a collision, you're pretty energetic."

"I know right? He should be resting," Brian joins in,

"Excuse me, you're the one who came here and brought the burgers."

"So? You could still sleep."

"Why would I sleep when I have company, that's just rude,"

"Dude, you're recovering from a car crash, I don't think anyone would be offended if you slept a bit."

"I was asleep long enough,"

"Are you sure you don't remember him yet?" Dr.Park asks, a smile on his face

"I don't, but bickering is natural apparently."

"Yeah, 'cause you're problematic." Brian jokes and takes a fry,

"Oh really? I'm problematic? You sure about that, Mr. I didn't know who you were and had a girlfriend which made things 10 times more problematic?"

It's quiet, and then the doctor just laughs while Brian is frozen, faux offense on his face.

"You two are entertaining," he says and then proceeds to walk to the door,

"Seems like you're doing just fine Jae, so I'll be going."

"Okay, good night, Doc!"

As Dr. Park is going out of the room, he hears the bicker of,

"You just ate some of my fries,"

"I paid for them,"

"Give it back,"

"What- How? Do you want me to regurgitate it for you?" 

And the doctor just smiles to himself as he hears their soft laughter.

"You know, now I'm agreeing with Dr. Park... Are you sure you don't remember me?"

"I really don't."

"So then how are you the same,"

"Hmm. I don't really think I'm the same, I'm just being natural. I'm pretty sure if you kissed me right now, I wouldn't know what to do, and I'd probably scream."

Brian responds with laughter, and it fades away.

"You know, I wish my parents had the same response as Dr. Park..."

"Ah... yeah, Wonpil told me."

"How'd he tell you, by the way?"

"You should've seen him, he was so extra! He was all like 'You and Brian were finally getting somewhere, Eunyi broke up with you, well it's not like your relationship was real anyway. Minri, Brian's now ex-girlfriend is in the process of moving out. You guys finally had a chance! And then you go and call Eunyi your girlfriend in front of him, oh my God Jaehyung!'" Jae finishes his Wonpil impression, making Brian laugh at the accuracy, right down to the hand gestures.

Brian sighs,

"We're quite the interesting duo, aren't we?"

"I'd say. Our experiences are insane. It's like a higher power is testing our relationship," Brian passes Jae the rest of his fries and he naturally takes them.

"We'll pass," Brian says with confidence.

"Really, you think so?"

"I'll cheat if I have to-"

"No cheating. I hate cheaters,"

"Not on you, I was just saying."

Jae shakes his head in disapproval,

"Oh c'mon, you know I would never cheat on you."

"Actually I don't. Right now, I technically don't even know who you are."

"Is this how difficult I was when we first started talking?"

"I wouldn't-"

"Right. You don't know, you don't remember." Brian rolls his eyes while Jae laughs,

"Yet." Jae makes sure to add.

"I can't believe you remember everyone except me,"

"Doc said it was because I was thinking about you too much.. Although I don't know if that's actually true."

"Probably is," 

"You're so annoying," the author replies while laughing.

The two talk for hours into the night, Brian's now leaning on Jae's bed, Jae having difficulty keeping his eyes open.

"You can go to sleep, you know," Brian says. Jae waits a few moments before saying,

"When I wake up I hope I remember you."

"If you don't, I'll just make you fall again."

"I don't doubt you there," Jae says, only to add,

"Can you sing me to sleep? Wonpil said you're a musician."

"Yeah sure, any specific requests?"

"Something soft,"

"Aw man, I was hoping I could do my favourite screamo song," Brian jokes and Jae laughs light-heartedly, his eyes remaining closed. Brian takes a deep breath before starting,

When my voice and my breath

After some time, are about to disappear within you

Sing me, once again.

I will always wait for you, right here calmly

No matter how much time passes,

Never, don't forget me, cherish me, so that you can feel me.

Sing me, remember me.

His voice gets weaker as he too falls asleep, his hand loosely gripped around Jae's.

 

 

When Brian awakes, he hears the hums of voices before he completely wakes up. He's still at Jae's bedside, and surprisingly his hand is still around Jae's. He straightens up, not letting go of Jae's hand, to see two adults in the room with them. He's rubbing his eye with his free hand, as he listens to the conversation,

"It's fine, he accompanied me the whole time."

"Still, Jaehyung, we were worried."

"Mom, I'm okay, Dr. Park said so," and with that Brian realizes it's Jae's parents in the room.

Brian immediately tries to let go of Jae's hand, but Jae just tightens his grip.

"Hello, Brian," his mom greets, and frankly, Brian doesn't know how to react naturally.

Jae's mom is naturally beautiful, her eyes small, mimicking Jae's, she's quite short and has short hair that makes her look classy. His dad is tall, much like Jae, and has that same bright smile.

"Hello,"

"I had to explain to them, with what memory I had that you're not Younghyun."

"This is my first time meeting your parents and I don't think I've ever been more nervous in my life." 

His parents respond in laughter,

"Don't be nervous, it's fine."

Brian suddenly becomes aware of his physical appearance state,

"Oh my Gosh, why didn't you tell me your parents were coming?! Why didn't you wake me up! I have ugly bed hair-"

"Relax. It's not that serious," Jae responds,

"Geez, I didn't know you would be this panicked."

"It's 'cause he really likes you, Jae. Your dad was the same way around my parents, he didn't know what to do with myself,"

"I still have trouble talking to your dad comfortably." Jae's dad comments, and his words are reciprocated with laughter.

The 4 go on to talk about how they reconnected, Jae's recent accident, and then Jae's mom asks,

"Brian, do your parents still have the same philosophy?" 

The question catches the man in question off guard, but he replies,

"Uh, yes... unfortunately."

"One day, they'll realize. They'll remember that you are their son, but until then... Just keep doing you, there's nothing wrong with that, okay?"

Brian gives a radiant smile,

"I will, thank you. I think I really needed to hear that,"

"Despite being Brian, you're just as sweet as Younghyun."

"Mom, he's a bully"

"I don't bully you, you start the bickering,"

And they digress.

 

 

When Wonpil visits later in the afternoon, he has a semi-serious expression on his face.

"What's up?" Jae immediately inquires, and Wonpil says,

"News got out that you were in car accident, and now fans are waiting at the front desk. Dr.Park told them that you weren't in any condition to have visitors,"

"Dr. Park is actually the best-"

"But they want a statement, Jae. There's footage of you being rolled into the ambulance, and they're wondering who accompanied you to the hospital."

"Why do you sound so serious?"

"Because last time you got involved in a 'scandal' it resulted in a fake girlfriend. I'm sorry if I seem too serious, I'm just worried."

It's quiet, and Brian suddenly feels guilty.

"So, what do you want to say?"

"Just... Just say he was just a friend, don't make a big scene out of it or else people will get even more suspicious."

And that's when the reality hit.

That's when Brian realized that he's involved with a public figure, someone with a fanbase and with tens of thousands of people that love him. He also realizes how much the words "just a friend" could actually hurt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

QUICK LIL ANNOUNCEMENT: IF ANYONE WANTS TO MAKE GRAPHICS FOR THIS STORY, IT WOULD BE EXTREMELY APPRECIATED LOL

oho quite a quick update, if I do say so myself :) hi guys! <3 ah yes; jae has forgotten brian. lol these two just don't get a break, do they? ;D he will remember though, but i can't guarantee when. hmmm i don't know what to say, 'cause I usually have a lot to fill you guys in on during the month gap between updates LOL but uh, not much for now (:  hope this chapter didn't disappoint, no it wasn't rushed, I just had the sudden urge to write for you guys!

hope your monday was okay! mine was decent, i had band practice, an extra long one though because we have an upcoming concert!

anyways, like always please please pleeassee! :D comment your thoughts or opinions on this chapter, or on the story as a whole so far! I sincerely love reading them, and I do reply to all of them, or most of them, I think. 

Oh right, the song Brian sang was DAY6'S - Sing Me. give it a listen if you don't know of it! 

alright, that's all from me guys. thank you for continuously reading, and commenting! talk to me if you want, my kakao talk is zenpsj! (yes the psj is for park sungjin, i'm obsessed okay?) LOOL 

love you guys! until the next update, PEACE! - Zen