Time

Tattoo.

Jae almost chokes on a sip on his Americano, and Eunyi just laughs, making Jae wonder how she could laugh in this situation.

"W-what's so funny?" Jae asks,

"Your reaction" she answers and continues laughing, and Jae just looked at her, almost amazed. Eunyi stretches and sighs,

"Man, it feels so much better to get that off my chest."

Jae remains quiet, not really sure what to say.

"Hey," Eunyi says, knowing Jae's confusion and bewilderment,

"I didn't say I was going to do anything about it. I wasn't expecting for you to like me too, so just calm down, okay?" she says with a classic Eunyi smile and Jae finds himself smiling.

"But now, I feel-"

"I don't want your pity. I didn't confess to make you feel bad," she cuts him off, as if reading his mind.

"How do you know me so well?" Jae asks,

"You're easy to read," she answers,

"Much like your books,"

"I thought you said they ,"

"I lied." Eunyi says with a laugh.

"Am I easy to read? But you notice the details about me... Not gonna lie, sometimes it freaks me out how accurate you are when you say something,"

"When you like someone, you tend to notice the small things about them."

"But... wait, so then how long have you liked me?"

"Hm..." she thinks,

"I'd say the day I first hung out with you." 

Jae thinks,

"Can I ask you something?"

"Mhm"she replies,

"How..." Jae struggles to find the words, and Eunyi is amused considering his profession,

"That time at the diner... What made you think Minri and I had something in the past?" he asks.

Eunyi looks at him, and the sunlight coming into the cafe makes him look even more handsome.

"Your eyes." she answers, and then goes on to explain,

"Your eyes usually look happy, free and overall content. Considering we had just finished watching a hilarious movie, and then played games at an arcade, your eyes were bright. But then they dimmed down when we got to the diner."

Jae looks at Eunyi, and he's fascinated. She's so observant, social and she's naturally pretty. She's an open book, much like himself, and her smile is so bright so he wonders if maybe they could become something more.

"And when you saw Minri and Brian, your eyes had completely lost the glow they had from our date."

"Sorry..." Jae says, and Eunyi smiles,

"What're you apologizing for?"

"I don't know... Maybe because I can't reciprocate your feelings?"

"It's fine. Trust me, I'll get over it soon enough... Plus, from your eyes I can tell there's someone else you really love, isn't there?" 

Jae looks up from the table and at Eunyi. He tries to read her eyes, and deducts that her smile is about as true as it can be, underneath her sad eyes. She smiles wider and says,

"Are you trying to read me?"

"Yeah," Jae answers,

"Is it easy?" she asks and Jae replies,

"No..." he smiles, amazed again and says,

"You're like an oxymoron, like an open book yet one that's almost impossible to read."

"It's that smile of yours and your way with words that made me fall." she informs and Jae almost stops smiling when he realizes that's probably the opposite of what Eunyi wants.

"This may be a question but... do you think we could remain as friends?" Eunyi doesn't hesitate to reply,

"Of course! Just give me some time to get over these feelings." and Jae nods,

"Don't." Eunyi warns and Jae suddenly feels scared,

"You dare act awkward around me."

"Never," he says and gives her a sincere smile and Eunyi's smile tells Jae that she knows he's telling the truth, through his eyes.

Jae and Eunyi are walking the streets and Eunyi says,

"So, do you mind if I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"If my observation was right at the diner... Did you not have any past with Minri?"

Jae thinks for a while, wondering if he should tell Eunyi everything. His thoughts come to the conclusion of, why not?

"Nope."

"So then who do you still have your heart stuck on?"

"Brian." he answers truthfully, and Eunyi's eyes go wide

"Oh my God, you're gay? I-I'm so sorry I agreed to be your girlfriend, oh my God, what did I meddle with-"

"No! No! Don't feel bad," Jae says, laughing at Eunyi's immediately guilty reaction,

"You reacted differently than I expected." Jae comments,

"I thought maybe you'd be... I don't know, disgusted.." Eunyi looks at him, and says

"How shallow do you think I am? Love is love, whoever you fall for, you fall for. That's how I see it,"

Jae scoffs,

"I wish that's how some people saw it too."

"Did someone not accept you and Brian? I mean, I'm assuming you guys didn't work out, cause Minri.."

"It's a complicated and long story," Jae says with a smile, shaking his head. 

Eunyi looks at the rose gold watch on her wrist and then smiles when she says

"I got time."

 

 

The atmosphere in their apartment is tense as the silence envelopes them. Brian is staring at Minri who looks like she's been doing a lot of thinking, while Brian's thoughts are once again in disarray. They're sitting in their kitchen, face to face yet neither of them saying anything. Brian's resorted to staring at the table, finding himself not able to look at Minri. 

Brian inhales as if to say something, but Minri beats him to it.

"Let's break up." she says, and Brian's eyes shoot up from the table to meet Minri's whose eyes are already flowing with tears.

"W-what, Min-" Brian begins, his eyes darting from object to object trying to 

"Brian." she cuts off and Brian looks at her again.

She's smiling with her tears streaming her face, and Brian feels like someone just shot him through the heart. 

"It's okay." she says, and Brian bites his bottom lip, feeling the tears coming yet he knows he doesn't deserve to cry.

"I think we both have known for a while your full attention hasn't been on me. Your heart's been wavering and- and I know that, I've known that... But I thought maybe it'll pass... Maybe I'm just overthinking things..." her shaking voice trails off, and Brian is almost unable to bear her slight whimper.

"Min-ah..." he starts,

"I promise I didn't mean to hurt you. I didn't expect any of this to happen, and I swear to you I would never purposely hurt you... I-I thought it was just me being stupid, I don't even know if I even really like the person and yet..." Brian looks at Minri,

"I found myself drifting away from you. I realized that there were days when I said that I loved you just to assure myself that I still did; to convince myself..."

"I know." Minri says, adding,

"And that's why I'm letting you go. I think you need some time to figure your feelings out...We need some time apart so..."

Minri gives Brian a smile that can only be described as heartbreaking,

"Let's break up."

"I'll be staying at my friend's house for a while, and I'll come pick up my stuff when you're working at the cafe..." she informs and Brian nods,

"I'm really sorry, Min." he says, as Minri's heading out the door.

"It's okay. I'll be okay with time.." 

Minri's outside of the apartment, and Brian is standing in the door way, watching her. She turns around and gives him a smile and Brian almost tells her to stop smiling at him because he doesn't to deserve to see her like that.

"You know," she says and Brian prepares himself,

"I kind of wish you denied your confusion, and held on to me a bit longer,"

Brian looks at her and tells her honestly,

"In the end, that would've hurt you even more."

Min nods and gives him a sad smile and walks down the hall, and Brian waits till he hears the elevator doors open and closer before he goes back into the apartment.

He leans his back against the door, and slides to a seated position, resting his elbows on his knees, and his head in his hands. After sitting and thinking for a while, Brian decides to text someone.

brian: hey, do you think i could redeem that rain check?

 

"So I don't think I have the right to be jealous because-" Jae stops explaining to Eunyi who's actively listening, as he checks his phone.

"He texted me!" he finds himself getting excited and Eunyi almost jumps out of her seat,

"Really?! What did he say?"

Jae looks at her amused,

"Why do you sound so excited?"

"Oh c'mon, if I can't have you, you better end up with the person you want to have." Jae rolls his eyes,

"Oh..." he says after reading his text,

"He wants to hang out,"

"Right now?" Eunyi asks, and jokes,

"He's gonna steal your heart from me, and then steal you away from me right now... Wow." and the two laugh.

jae: right now?

brian: yeah, if you're not busy

"He said yes to right now, but we're fully talking-"

"Yeah, talking about your relationship with Brian or Younghyun..." Eunyi shakes her head, slightly confused at Jae's story, and Jae almost laughs,

"We can hang out anytime, you should go see him." she says and Jae is about to object but she gives him a glare, and he takes that as a warning,

"I'll text you later," Jae says, getting up and when he's about to leave the park bench, he ruffles Eunyi's hair and she smile. Jae walks away, but not before looking back and waving at Eunyi, who looks stunning in the sunset and he suddenly feels grateful for having her in his life. He texts back Brian,

jae: yeah sure, where?

brian: do you mind coming to my apartment?

Jae almost audibly gasps as he thinks that not many positive things have happened at Brian's apartment.

jae: sure, i'll be there in 15

And the author begins jogging back to the cafe where he left his car parked.

Eunyi is about to get up from the bench since Jae's figure was far off in the distance at this point. She begins walking and she wears a sad smile as she places her hand on top of her head, still feeling Jae's hand ruffling her hair. She gives a soft laugh, and shakes her head, telling herself to get over him soon. At that moment, her phone goes off

minri: hey eunyi, it's minri. I know this is probably so random but do u mind if we meet up for a bit?

Eunyi looks at her phone and wonders when her and Minri exchanged numbers, she assumes it happened sometime at the amusement park, or maybe in the washroom at the diner.

eunyi: yeah no problem! where do you wanna meet?

minri: up for some frozen yogurt?

Eunyi smiles and gives her a reply and she begins walking.

 

 

Brian opens the door and is greeted with Jae's slightly awkward smile,

"Hey!" Jae says, and the smile becomes sincere. Brian finds himself smiling for the first time that day, as he greets him back

"Hey,"

They spend about 1 minute just staring at each other before Jae says,

"So, uh... Are you gonna let me in? Or..."

"Oh right!" Brian says with a laugh, and Jae enters the apartment.

They naturally stride to the living and sit on the couch, the two sit on the couch on opposite sides.

"So, why'd you wanna chill so suddenly?"

"I wanted to talk,"

Jae almost wants to leave, but he figures he might as well lend an ear. So, the author just nods and waits for Brian to say what he wants to say. Brian his lips nervously as he looks for the right words to say,

"I..." he starts off, catching Jae's attention whose eyes were focused on the various books on the shelf in the corner.

"I think I like you." he says, and Jae doesn't look extremely happy.

"Brian. Did you remember something? W-what're you saying all of a sudden,"

"It's not that I remember something, I just.. I think-"

"You think? Brian..." Jae sounds exhausted,

"D-do you feel sorry for me? Is this pity because of what happened with Younghyun?"

"What? No, Jae. This isn't pity, I just... I just think I sincerely like you,"

"That's not enough, Bri... You thinking you like me isn't going to make things happen, I know how I feel about Younghyun, and I wish I didn't know how I felt about you... You who doesn't even remember our moments, you whose parents' minds are unchanging and still unaccepting... You who has a girlfriend and I'm fully aware of that yet I still fell for you..." Jae says, getting up from the couch and pacing around the room,

"I know how I feel about you, Bri. But I also know you have a girlfriend and-"

"I don't." Brian cuts him off, and Jae looks at him confused,

"She broke up with me today. Min got tired of my wavering and she had enough. I hurt her way too badly, Jae..."

He continues on,

"And that's why I'm trying to tell you it's not pity, and it's definitely not a sudden feeling. God, ever since I met you something changed about me. And Min noticed it too, but we both thought it was just a phase,"

"Brian, please don't..." Jae says, and Brian replies,

"Do I need to prove it to you?"

"Do you need to prove it to yourself?" Jae asks,

"Make sure you don't just think it's feelings for me when you don't know for sure..."

Brian looks up at him, defeated and he gets up,

"Okay, fine, I admit that I'm a freakin' mess but it's all because of you." he confesses, and Jae doesn't know how to respond,

"All the things you've done up until this point in time... I'm all messed up because of that.. Because of the way you surprised me at the cafe with a birthday cake, the way I felt so comfortable around you that I invited you to my birthday party despite only knowing you for a few weeks. I'm unsure because of how I didn't hate the fact that you kissed me at that party, even if you were drunk... And then again that one time on the balcony. It's because of those moments that Minri didn't have my whole heart anymore..."

Brian exhales and gives Jae a smile that he describes as fascinated yet pleading,

"Oh, and don't even get me started with your smile. God, your flawless smile that made me feel so safe and comfortable, which is such a rare feeling for someone with my condition. The way your eyes practically disappear when you're truly happy, and I don't mean that in an offensive way," Brian informs and that makes Jae crack a smile,

"The way your lips on mine felt so natural that it surprised me, it felt familiar which is something I'm not used to. The way you didn't treat me awkwardly despite everything that's happened, and despite Minri... It's the little things like the way the tone of your voice changes when you speak English. The way you're like an open book that I never get tired of reading."

The two stare at each other for a long time and Jae doesn't know what to say. So, Brian says something first,

"So, yeah, I know I'm a mess and I know just thinking I like you isn't all that convincing. But, I do know that when Minri broke up with me today, of course I felt sad for hurting her, for making someone so beautiful and amazing cry... I couldn't help but think of you." he says, looking at Jae with sincere eyes,

"I do know that ever since I met you I have not been the same person. I know that my parents are homophobic, yet I would still proudly hold your hand and tell people you're my boyfriend. I know that this isn't Younghyun speaking, and it's just me... Brian Kang, a person with dissociative fugue disorder who thinks he can make you happy."

Jae stares at him, mesmerized by Brian's words yet unsure if he should put himself through the emotional experience of being Brian's significant other. The taller hadn't realized they were standing this close, swearing just a few seconds ago they were seated on opposite sides of the couch.

"Brian," he says,

"I don't need an answer right now." the other replies, as if knowing what Jae was about to tell him.

"I can wait, I will definitely give you time... Give us time, I should say," he adds, laughing a bit.

Jae awkwardly looks at his hands,

"Is that all you wanted us to hang out for? To attack me with those words that have left an author at a loss of words?" Jae asks with a soft laugh, and Brian says,

"I think there was something else I wanted to do," 

"What?" Jae asks, oblivious, and his question is what causes Brian to smile as he says,

"This,"

The kiss feels so different from the previous times their lips have met. It's not Jae initiating it, it's not an experiment executed by Brian. Instead, this time, it's a more emotional connection. It's sweet, it's not forced or sad, it's simply nice. Brian smiles into the kiss as he can't control the happiness. The happiness of finding someone whose lips feel so natural on his, like they're meant to be.

Jae stares at him, shocked,

"I-I thought you said you would wait for an answer,"

"Oh c'mon, you act like we haven't done that before,"

"We haven't." Jae says and he adds,

"Sharing a kiss like that... We definitely haven't done that, and you know it," 

Brian looks at him and gives a small smile. 

 

 

Jae's currently laying in bed, finding it impossible to fall asleep for reasons that he keeps replaying in his head. He thrashes around for a bit, cursing Brian and also himself for things he doesn't even think are reasonable. He reflects on Brian's words and wonders if they could really work out. So many obstacles, yet it seems like both of them are up for it, but not necessarily prepared. However, the author thinks that maybe they can work out.

Maybe they can overcome the struggles together, in time.

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

okay can i actually get a props for updating again before 2 months passed? :')) LOL it's currently 11:35pm where I live, and I'm tired but I just really wanted to get this chapter done and posted for you guys! :D so please excuse any errors, i'm usually passed out by now. 

i hope this chapter was okay, i mean i love eunyi but c'mon y'all, this is a jaehyungparkian story ;D hehe. anyway! oMG DID YOU GUYS SEE THE TEASERS FOR FEBRUARY FOR THE EVERY DAY6 THING, I'M ACTUALLY SO EXCITED THEY ALL LOOK SO GOOD GOD BLESS-

i love day6. (: anyway! please comment any thoughts on this chapter or even suggestions! (: upvote please ^_^ and also !! subscribe to keep updated, I'll definitely try and stick with this kind of update timing.. lol love you guys! :)

I have a party tomorrow with my music class, aka my second family, I love them man. so! I'll try and update as soon as I can, but until then, peace! - Zen