Problems

Tattoo.

"Your usual," Sungjin says, placing the drink in front of Jae.

"Who're you waiting for? Eunyi?" Wonpil asks.

"Brian," Jae answers, and then says a quick thanks to Sungjin. 

"You're like a majority of their monthly income" Wonpil comments as Jae sips his Iced Americano,

"They're welcome then" Jae replies with a smile.

"What're you and Bri doing today?" Sungjin asks,

"Just chilling, I guess..."

"You guys have been hanging out a lot more recently

"Well, it's not my fault you stole my best friend" Jae argues and Sungjin just smiles as he wraps an arm around Wonpil's shoulder,

"Hey, no flirting with the customers!" Brian's voice interrupts their friendly conversation, his tone faking anger.

They turn to face the young man who just entered the cafe, and Jae habitually smiles.

Brian walks up to them, resting an arm on Jae's shoulder as he takes a sip of his drink,

"Hey, I paid for that"

"Employees aren't supposed to drink customers' drinks" Sungjin orders back, and Brian just laughs.

"I'm actually surprised I haven't been fired, yet"

"Me too" Jae agrees, snatching his drink back before getting up,

"Let's get going," Brian informs and Wonpil just eyes them a bit, concerned yet also curious.

"Yeah, yeah"

"Where are you guys going?" Sungjin asks what his boyfriend was thinking

"Just going around the town," Jae answers, walking to Brian's side who is slowly making his way to the exit, 

"Have fun," Wonpil says

"Yeah, yeah" the author repeats and Wonpil just rolls his eyes. The same eyes follow the 2 figures who are conversing closely, already forgotten about Wonpil and Sungjin and heading out into to the town that awaits them.

"Have you seen Minri lately?" Wonpil asks Sungjin, but his eyes are still set on the bodies that are becoming distant.

"No, not really. Why?" 

"Just wondering," he says, then returns his focus to his boyfriend's face.

"Worried about another man's girlfriend rather than your man?"

Wonpil laughs but also cringes at the way Sungjin just spoke, but he also thinks about who he's really worried about. 

"Jealous?"

"Nah," Sungjin replies,

"Min's got nothing on me,"

"Okay, I'm going to need you to stop speaking like that, please" Wonpil says, chuckling,

"Your smile says otherwise"

And the couple is about to share a sweet quick kiss when a slightly irritated woman clears ,

"Oh! Right, sorry, your order will be ready shortly"

 

"So, where're we going?"

"You tell me," Brian says,

"I don't know" 

"Well, that's slightly boring," and the two laugh.

They're walking the streets of their old little town, and Jae says,

"I mean, I just like being with you I never really think about a destination," 

Brian doesn't respond immediately so Jae adds,

"Sorry, that probably made you feel awkward,"

"No, no,it's not that...." but Brian doesn't know exactly what it is. 

Since Brian doesn't continue and clarify what it was, Jae just laughs, and Brian does the same.

Within the laughter, Jae's phone goes off,

"Yo, Eunyi?" he says, curious because they've never really been ones to share a phone call. Brian looks at him curiously, unable to hear what Eunyi says on the other line.

"W-what? Hey, hey... Calm down, where are you?" Jae says, a concerned and rushed tone to his voice and that signals to Brian that something isn't right.

"Okay, okay. Calm down, I'll be there soon, okay? Everything'll be fine, just wait for me," 

Jae quickly hangs up the phone and looks at Brian,

"Is she okay?" 

"Uh, I-I don't know" Jae manages to spit out.

It seems like the panic transferred from Eunyi to Jae, and Brian just maintains his concerned expression,

"Hey, sorry but could I get a rain check on today?" Jae says, searching his pockets for his car keys, and Brian just says,

"Yeah, yeah, of course"

"Sorry, but I think she really needs me right now"

"Text me if she's okay," Brian says, even though he doesn't know why Eunyi called Jae in the first place.

"Will do. Hey, seriously though, I'll make it up to you," the author says, walking further away from Brian yet not breaking eye contact,

"It's fine! Just hurry up, she doesn't sound like she can or wants to wait much longer"

"Let's hang out again, soon!" is the last thing Jae says and then he's off. 

Brian pulls a little sticky-note out of his pocket, and it has his writing on it. It's a list of things he wanted to do today, with Jae. He crumples it up and tosses it, saying to himself,

"Rain check... Yeah, maybe next time..." 

 

"Eunyi?" Jae calls out as he gets out of his car, his eyes quickly scanning the waiting room of the hospital. He spots her, but she looks incredibly different.

Eunyi is curled up in the chair, her worried expression tainted her usually happy face, and Jae's heart almost sinks at how small she looks at this moment. Her pupils are shaking, new and old tears staining her cheeks, and her eyes almost look empty.

Until she spots Jae.

She looks up at the tall man that just entered the waiting room, and a wave of relief comes over her, and she almost runs to him. Jae doesn't realize what he did until she's already in his arms, her head on his chest as new tears wet his shirt. He doesn't realize what he's doing until he's already carressing her hair, hushing and comforting her.

"Sorry," she says, looking up at him and wiping his shirt,

"It's fine." he replies.

Since they're close Jae can see a few scratches on Eunyi's face, very little blood streaking parts of her face. 

"Are you okay?" 

"Y-yeah, I'm fine, b-but t-the person-" she's clearly not fine and Jae decides to change the topic.

He sits her down, and calms her so that she's able to tell the story. She describes it as all happening in literally the blink of an eye. One second she's just driving down the road, the next her airbag is activated while two car alarms are going off and she hears bystanders screaming. Eunyi reassures Jae that it wasn't her fault, which causes him to ask

"They hit you? So why aren't you mad?" and it sounds slightly insensitive. 

"I'm scared. I'm worried, even if it wasn't my fault. That's still someone's life, regardless if they were at fault," 

The conversation ends at that, as Eunyi begins worrying about the person that had hit her, completely ignoring her own scratches and minor injuries.

Jae and Eunyi stay long enough to ensure that the person would be okay, and the police tell her they will definitely be in contact. Jae suggests that she gets her minor injuries treated, but she says,

"I don't like the hospital..." and her anxious expression is enough to convince Jae to drive her home. 

But he doesn't just drop her off, she clearly doesn't look like she wants to be alone right now.

And that's the reason they're in Eunyi's house that she shares with 2 other girls. Eunyi says that they're home alone, considering her roommates don't get off from work till way later into the evening. With the help of Eunyi's instruction, Jae makes both of them a cup of tea and sits down beside Eunyi.

She's wrapped in a blanket, slightly rocking back and forth, holding the cup of hot tea close to her face.

"Sorry for calling you," she says.

"I didn't know who else I could call..." 

Jae wonders if Eunyi and her parents are on bad terms,

"It's okay,"

"You were probably busy, weren't you? Sorry" she repeats, and Jae thinks of Brian, but he lies and says,

"No, I wasn't doing anything. Don't apologize"

It's peacefully quiet. Jae has a few questions but the main one being,

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah..."

"Are you sure?" Jae asks because he's answered the same way without meaning it. 

It takes a while before Eunyi sighs, and it's shaky; so is her voice when she says,

"It was Christmas Eve and I was 18... I was waiting for my parents to come home so we could open presents. It was our family tradition to stay up until midnight and then just rip open the gifts," she says with a sad smile.

She's telling the story slowly, and Jae isn't annoyed at the frequent pauses. Eunyi continues,

"They went to my aunt's house to drop off some gifts, and I didn't want to tag along so I just stayed home, and waited... and waited. Soon enough it was almost 2 AM, and I was obviously worried, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions. But deep down, I think I knew. My aunt's house was only 20 minutes away, and yeah, the roads were relatively bad, but even then, they left at 11 PM to make sure they'd be back."

Jae nods, already predicted where this story was going,

"And then I got a call. Hoping it was my parents, explaining maybe they had busted a tire and that they were going to be home soon." 

Eunyi's crying already, gripping her mug tighter.

"I don't think I'll ever forget the voice of the lady on the other line. Telling me my parents were at the hospital, and that they had been hit by a drunk driver... Tellling me, on Christmas Eve, to visit the hospital, if I could, to see them... And so, I ask my boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend now, I ask him to drive me, and he does. The way the hospital waiting room had people who looked like they had lost hope, their eyes fixated on their shoes, some shaking their legs... I hated it. The white walls and tile floor that didn't provide any comfort, the police waiting outside my parents' room, the paramedics who were the first responders... All of it, still so vivid." 

Jae finds himself wrapping his arm around her, and naturally Eunyi leans against Jae,

"And so at the age of 18, being the only child, I had to plan my parents' funeral alone. The emotional toll afterwards was too much, and my boyfriend broke up with me," she scoffs a bit, 

"What an ..."

"I agree," Jae comments,

"I-I'm sorry for suddenly telling you all of this... Going back there after getting into an accident myself..." her voice trails off, and Jae decides it's better to not talk, he puts his tea down and simply envelopes her in a hug; a warm tight hug.

"Thank you for picking me up, and coming to the hospital... Seriously, thank you."

Jae rubs her back and nods, resting his chin on the top of her head.

They stay like that for a while, their breathing becomes synced and Eunyi has never felt warmer, or safer. After Eunyi has calmed down, they start talking about the trivial things of life. Treading lightly, Jae asks about her parents, her favourite memories with them. He also says that if they're ever out in public and she sees her ex, that he's definitely going to flaunt her, show him what he missed out on.

Jae ends up staying for hours, and they're still on the couch, sitting on the ends, facing each other. One of Eunyi's roommates comes home, 

"Eunyi?" her roommate says, coming through the door,

"In the living room!" she calls back,

"What's for dinner?- Oh!" her roommate says, surprised to see Jae on the couch,

"Hello~" he says, and Eunyi introduces,

"Jiseo, this is Jae,"

"Yeah, I know, we've read his books..." Jiseo replies and Jae laughs at how cautious she sounds.

"Is your boyfriend staying for dinner?" Jiseo asks, and Eunyi looks at Jae, and Jae shrugs. He ends up staying for dinner, and they order some delivery. Jae ends up meeting her other roommates, and Eunyi appreciates how he's not awkward around them.

Jae leaves the house, making sure Eunyi is okay, and leaving her in the hands of her roommates to take care of the minor cuts and scratches. He drives back to his apartment, and showers and is already in bed ready to sleep when he gets a text. It's just from Eunyi saying,

eunyi: thank u (: 

 

It's the next day, and Jae and Eunyi get called to Jinhae's office.

"So, the public has seemingly forgotten that incident involving Jae at the airport." Jinhae informs, and Jae and Eunyi just listen,

"That being said, your relationship can come to an end whenever you want."

Eunyi and Jae's eyes both widen a bit at the thought of a break-up. Then again, they weren't really together to begin with, but it was still a bit shocking that Jinhae suddenly brought it up.

"We already have a story planned ot that will minimize the hate Eunyi will receive," he continues,

"We suggest that you guys aren't seen in public that often anymore, or maybe even have a huge fight at the mall or a restaurant." 

"U-Uh, when would the articles of our break-up be published?" Jae asks,

"Whenever you guys want to end this facade."

The two leave the office after Jinhae discusses a few things with them, minor details about the break-up. They're walking after getting some coffee that doesn't taste the same as Brian and Sungjin's cafe, but it'll do.

"So..." Jae says,

"So..." Eunyi echoes, and the two laugh at how awkward they are.

Jae swears that this atmosphere is more awkward than when they had initially met,

"When do you want to break up?" Jae asks,

"I don't." Eunyi replies and that catches Jae off guard.

"W-wha.. I-"

"Just kidding!" she says with a laugh, but something in her eyes tells Jae that her previous reply was her sincere answer.

"We'll wait and see if it'll happen naturally, you know, a fall out. If not, I think it'd be interesting to do a public fight," Eunyi adds, and begins walking,

"I gotta go meet up with Jiseo, see you later!" and Jae doesn't realize until she's almost out of sight that she didn't really answer his question of when.

 

Meanwhile, Brian finds himself facing a problem himself.

He enters their apartment, and is about to call out to Min when he hears 2 voice, and he recognizes both of them. 

"Brian?" Minri calls out, and Brian sees her head pop out the side of the door frame leading to the living room, and Brian walks towards the room.

"Hey, Min..." Brian's happy voice trails off when he sees who Minri's sitting beside.

"Brian..." his mom says, and it's awkward as Brian just nods and gives a small wave.

"I'm gonna go change-" is what he says, until he sees what they're looking at. Minri follows Brian's line of sight and says,

"Oh, your mom was showing me the photo album from their wedding..."

Brian looks at the album and then at his mom, as if suspecting her.

"You should've seen the way Minri's eyes lit up when she saw the pictures" Mrs. Kang says, and Minri gives a bashful smile.

"Don't you think she would look flawless in a wedding dress?" she hints and Brian almost scoffs, shocked at his mom's actions. He's about to tell his mom he sees right through her sly act, but then he looks at Minri. She's wearing a hopeful smile, her eyes anticipating his answer,

"Yeah... Yeah, she would."

She smiles, and Mrs. Kang sees the hope in Minri's eyes, and figures her goal was achieved. But, she gives it one last push,

"Wouldn't you say it's almost time?" 

Brian gives her a stern glare,

"Time for you to leave? Yeah, I'd say so."

"Brian," Minri says with disapproval in her voice. His mom simply laughs at her son's act of defiance and says,

"No, no.. He's right, I should get going. See you, sweetie," she says to Minri, and gets up to walk towards the door, giving Brian a smile that Brian can't say he feels good about.

The couple see his mom out the door, Brian's mood ruined but Minri looks like she's anticipating something.

"Did you invite her here?" Brian asks, and it kind of catches Minri off guard,

"No," she replies and adds,

"She just dropped by without much notice."

"I can't believe she would-" Brian scoffs,

"No, no nevermind. It makes sense. Of course she would show you her wedding photos.."

"Is that so bad?" Minri asks, 

"Don't you see what she's hinting at?"

"I do... That's why I'm asking, is that so bad?" 

Brian's quiet,

"Is it wrong to discuss the idea of settling down with someone you've been dating for almost 4 years?"

"Min, that's not what I meant..."

"So, then what did you mean?" Min asks and pauses as Brian doesn't look like he's going to give an answer.

"Brian, you didn't look even the slightest bit happy when she asked the question about me in a wedding dress."

"She's trying to manipulate me again, control my life so that it all goes her way," he replies

"Again? Brian, you've been referencing your past so often lately.. Do you remember something?"

Brian exhales, because at this point he sounds like a broken record in terms of the reply to this question.

"I... I can't tell you yet, Min. I just-"

"Then tell me this, Brian," and he knows she's hurt by the way the words leave .

"When was the last time you told me you loved me?" Brian looks confused,

"What- what do you mean? I said it last night before going to bed-"

"Let me rephrase that," Min looks at him, her eyes glossing over with tears of emotions that Brian can't pinpoint. 

It's quiet, they're still in the living room, and Minri asks,

"When was the last time you told me you loved me, without hesitation? With the utmost confidence? Not out of doubt, or reassurance... Whenever you say those words, they sound different from before. They don't sound sure, or- or convinced.... They don't sound true." 

"Min-"

"Please, just answer my question." quiet tears are rolling down her cheeks, and her voice is shaking a bit.

Brian swears he's never felt worse in his life. The fact that Minri was crying because of him - the fact that he had hurt someone so important to him...

But he hates himself even more because he can't answer the question; he doesn't know when he started to waver or doubt.

It's quiet for a few moments, and Minri is waiting for a reply.

When Brian looks into her eyes apologetically, she takes that as her answer. 

"Min-ah!" Brian calls out but she's already out the door.

That night, Brian doesn't sleep that well - or at all. The bed feels oddly colder now that it's just him occupying it. He tries calling Minri, and her friend answers, he recognizes her voice. She says that Min will be staying with her tonight, so he shouldn't worry. 

But he does, he worries well into the night, and it's almost 4 AM by the time he gets even a wink of sleep.

 

 

"I saw you like 3 days ago, what's up?" Jae asks, taking a sip of his Americano, sitting in front of Eunyi as she eats her bagel.

"I have a problem," she says.

The author rolls his eyes and groans, making Eunyi laugh, and in turn he breaks into a chuckle himself.

"What does that have to do with me? Do you need money?" Eunyi laughs again,

"No, no, it's nothing like that."

"So then what is it?"

"As your fake girlfriend... My problem is..." Eunyi pauses and looks at Jae whose eyes are filled with anticipation and curiosity,

"I think I'm sincerely falling for you."

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE;

okay. first and foremost: i'm sorry.

i'm actually so sorry. LOL it's been another 2 months since i've updated, and i just finished my exams so i'm super duper sorry about how late this is ;-; is everyone okay? how was your holidays? and your new year! happy 2017! (: sorry for being like absent, i just couldn't find time or inspiration to continue writing. it's been like 21 days since "I WAIT" came out, but y'all i'm still sh00k. LOL thank you for waiting so long.. actually, idek if y'all still read this considering how long eACH CHAPTER TAKES TO COME OUT DUE TO MY INCOMPETENCE- 

anyway (: please comment any thoughts on the chapter or the story so far! (: yes, both "couples" are going through some rough patches so i'm curious to see how i'll handle that.. LOL also subscribe to keep updated! :D and upvote pls ^_^ thank u for so many comments, i freaking love comments. i'm not even mad that it's at 10 upvotes, because the fact that we're at 104 comments makes me sO FLIPPIN HAPPY. ok now that i have my semester break, i'll probably upload more often (hopefulllyyyy) but yeah! ok, until then, peace! - Zen