Crime?

Dope College Life

“Jihoon ah, do you like that MP3 so much? Why don’t you just listen on your phone instead?” Jeonghan ask curiously.

The lavender haired girl just smile.

Seokmin walks to the front. “Guys, I’m hungry. Can we walk faster?”

Jihoon smile again. They walk together, side by side to the Cafeteria for dinner.

The girl from Jeju steps slowly, gaze fell on Jihoon whom too engulfed in music that blasted through the headphone on her neck. Jihoon is, so mysterious… the words that come out from her, is like, 3 to 4 words only. Even  when they ask her something, she would just smile. If Seungkwan didn’t know her, she might say that Jihoon looks arrogant. But she’s not. In fact, Seungkwan was attracted to her- not the love way- as if she has known her for a long time. It feels comfortable around that mysterious lavender haired girl. But still, it was hard to hear her voice.

The cafeteria is already full with students, some are talking, chatting and some just eat quietly so that they can go back to rest.

The dinner was quite simple. Rice, some tonkatsu? Or maybe just some deep fried chicken with curry? A soup, chicken soup to be exact and some kiwi. For desert, a convenience store pudding and a glass of orange juice. Quite abnormal and unusual for such a prestigious private college, not that Seungkwan minds though. Maybe because it’s

their first day.

They took a seat at an empty table, Jeonghan beside Seokmin and the other two sat across.

Seokmin raised her eyebrow when she saw Jihoon’s food. The contents is the same, except there’s no curry. And she had a small plate with gochujang. “They didn’t put any curry on yours.”

“I know.”

“And you had a  gochujang?”

“Yup, it’s gochujang.”

“Why didn’t you ask for the curry?”

Jihoon picked the chopstick up. “I just don’t like curry.” She said before eating some rice.

“What the hell is this?!” a loud voice broke out somewhere in the cafeteria.

Jihoon stare down at her own food. It’s rice. What kind of an idiot never eat rice before? Does all she ever eat is bread or what? She thought as she overheard a whisper from Seungkwan.

“That’s Zhou Chaerin. My dad’s friend’s daughter, but totally not my friend.” She whisper.

Seokmin drop her jaw. “Zhou? Is she fully Korean or mix?”

“Mix. Her father is a businessman in China. Totally spoilt since birth.” Seungkwan scrunch as she said it before continue eating, having no care in the current drama.

Jihoon craned her neck to have a look at that mix-kind-of-kids. The supervisor for the night, Ms.Lim was trying to calm the girl down. Jihoon’s eyebrow raised when she saw the girl, and her attire. A strap dress that ends just below her thigh, a full and thick make up, plus her seemingly striking plus a-pain-in-the-eye-to-look blonde hair that curled at the end. She must spend a really long time just to get ready.

Seriously, it’s too much. Jihoon know that the attire for dinner, or lunch or breakfast is up to the student’s choice since the cafeteria is no-boys area, but, why the hell did that Chaerin girl get down for dinner as if she’s going to Grammy Award or something. Definitely inappropriate in Jihoon’s eyes.

Ms. Lim still stood beside the girl, calming her down.

“Where’s she going?” Seungkwan asked as her eyes widened seeing the lavender haired girl make her way to where Chaerin is, throwing tantrum over dinner.

Jihoon stops in front of the mix-kind-of-kids, face clearly not amused.

“Who are you?!” The snobbish looking girl retort with her unusual high pitch voice that seems like it could break Jihoon’s eardrum.

The lavender haired girl clicked her tongue. She put a hand on Chaerin’s shoulder, roughly pushed the girl down so that she ends up sitting again.

Ms. Lim gasps. “Hey-“

“I’ll take the responsibility.” Jihoon cuts her off, sending smile to the supervisor before turning around again, facing Chaerin.

Her looks was menacing. “You are not the only rich girl in this college, but they know how to eat a goddamn rice. I don’t know if you grow up eating gold or silver or whatever it is, but right here, you are a student. No more, no less. You’re not getting any special treatment. So shut the up and just eat.”

Chaerin shut tight. Her hands formed into fist. She could just retort back like how she always did, but the looks in the shorter girl’s eyes makes her think twice. If she took a wrong steps, it might backfires. She might end up with a bruise on her face.

She grips Chaerin’s shoulder a bit harder as a warning, before facing Ms. Lim.

“It’s done.”

And Jihoon went back to her table, continue eating as if the whole cafeteria’s attention is on her, at the same time ignoring the shocked looks on her roommate’s face.

---

“One word. You are crazy. Her dad could sue you.” Seokmin pat her pillow.

Scoff. “I don’t care. She’s rude.” Her hands brushing her lavender coloured hair, head tilting to the side. Mockingbird – Eminem blasting through the earphone on her left ears. The other ear bud stay dangling near her chest.

Jeonghan laugh. “I do agree with that rude part. And what’s with her clothes? This is not a fashion college. The ‘music’ in the college name is not just for decoration.”

Jihoon put a hand on her chest. “Finally, someone who has the same thought as me.” She said dramatically.

A laugh burst out.

Seokmin lay her head on the pillow. “Anyway, where’s Seungkwan. The last time I saw her is before we went to the hall.”

Shrugs. “Don’t know. Maybe she ran away.” Jihoon pulled the earbud on her left ears, putting the MP3 on the table.

“Don’t joke like that, Jihoon ah. Maybe she’s homesick. After the afternoon speech, she’s still crying.” Seokmin sat up suddenly. “Let’s go find her.”

The long haired girl shakes her head, disagree. “Nuh uh. There’s no way I’m doing that. It’s already past light out. I don’t want any demerit this early.”

Pout. “But she’s our friend! Our roommate even! It’s our responsibility!”

“My responsibility currently is to sleep so that I can stay awake tomorrow for another boring day, so definitely a big no.”

Jihoon sigh. She stand up and walked to her closet, slipping a green cardigan over her pyjama. A flashlight in her left hand as she walked to the door.

“Jihoon, where are you going?” Jeonghan asked when she noticed the petite girl turning the door knob.

She turned her head. “Well, you did say you wanna go look for Seungkwan.”

 

---

“I just realised.” Seokmin said suddenly after they walk pass a room, with clearly sleeping students.

“What?”

“We came out in pyjama.”

Jihoon almost- almost trip herself. Heck, even her flashlight almost fell off her hands.

Smack!

“This is not the time to talk about this, idiot!” Jeonghan shushed angrily. She huffed before crossing her arms on her chest.

She sheepishly smile, hands rubbing the back of her neck that gotten smack by the said ‘angel’.

They walked pass through the dark hallway with the help of Jihoon’s flashlight. When they reach to the shower room area, Seokmin halt.

“Do you hear that?” she asked as her eyes tried to focus on something, or maybe what sound.

Jeonghan brushed her long hair away from her face. “Hear what?”

“Those footsteps.”

Jihoon shuddered lightly. “My mom said, don’t said things like that. It’s bad.”

Seokmin put her hands on her chin. “But if it’s ghost, there would be no footsteps sounds.”

The three of them tried to focus where did the sound came from, when the footsteps sounds clearer, along with some human voice.

“Quick. Let’s get out of here.” Jihoon said, rushing as she push her roommate to one of the laundry room.

Seokmin entered first and her eyes widened.

It’s freaking dark!

Being the last to get in, Jihoon closed the door slowly, with the hands over the flashlight, dimming the light.

“What do you think it is?” Jeonghan asked, slightly panting.

“I don’t know. But it can’t be ghost. There’s footsteps.”

Jihoon walks to the window. “Come on. Let’s get out. I’m feeling insecure.” She pushed the window slowly, climbing up before landing perfectly outside. She put the flashlight on the ground, turning over to help Seokmin and Jeonghan.

They leave the window open just a bit. They heard the sound of the door been opened. Jihoon turned off the flashlight immediately. Then comes the voices, two voices. They could recognise one of them.

“It’s true. I saw the students from R-03 roaming around after light out.”

Jihoon frowned. That damn Chaerin. I knew she’s a big problem.

She grab Jeoghan’s hand. “I’m 100% sure they are gonna check on us. Wether we are in the room or not. It’s safer to be in our room, ASAP.” Seokmin said before she started running towards their dorm, Jeonghan and Jihoon trailing from behind.

By the time they reach the room, they’re already out of breath.

Panting, Jihoon climbed her bed, pulling the blanket till her chest. “Why do you think Chaerin do that?”

Seokmin grab her plushie. “Maybe because of what you do at dinner today? Who knows?” her head falls on the pillow.

Ruffling her hair a bit so that it looks like she just woke up, Jeonghan pout. “That damn snobbish girl. She’s looking for trouble.”

Jihoon stare at the ceiling. “Where’s sick bay?”

“How do I know. It’s barely a day since we were here.” Seokmin rubs her eyes sleepily.

Knock! Knock!

In the flash of light, Jihoon close her eyes, and Seokmin pull her plushie high, covering her face.

Jeonghan got up, and opened the door with a sleepy- extremely sleepy façade.

Their dorm manager, Mrs. Mina, stands in front of the door, her hands on her hips.”All of your roommates here?”

Nod. “Here. Boo Seungkwan is the only one absent.” She pulled the door wide open, showing Seokmin and Jihoon who managed to stay as if they are dead asleep.

Their acting is awesome. And mine too!  Jeonghan congratulate herself mentally.

“Boo Seungkwan? The studenst that went to the sick bay?”

Nod.

“Okay. You can go back to sleep.”

Nod again. “Thank you.” She closed the door.

Grinning, Jeonghan turned around, facing Seokmin and Jihoon whom already sat up on their bed. “And the best actor awards goes to!”

“Me!” Seokmin yell excitedly, both hands in the air as her plushie fell down.

Jihoon laugh. “Quiet down. We’re screwed if Mrs. Mina came back.” She plopped on the pillow. “So, she’s at sick bay. We can go to her tomorrow.” Yawning, she closed her eyes, feeling tired.

It’s only their first night, and so much things happened.

---

Seungkwan knock on the bathroom door for the third time. “Jeonghan! What the hell are you doing inside? It’s been half an hour. Hurry up!”

“Rilex! I’m brushing my teeth.” She replied.

Grumbled. “Brushing teeth my . You’ve been saying that all the time! Jeonghan, hurry!” the girl knocked again, annoyed.

The bathroom door opened, revealing Jeonghan with a frown on her face. “Chill, man. We got an hour more to get ready.” She said, walking past the obviously annoyed girl, drying her hair using a yellow small towel.

“I’m pretty sure you fell asleep inside.” Seungkwan extended her hands, pulling some of Jeonghan’s wet hair before disappearing inside the bathroom.

“Hey!”

Seokmin chuckled. She’s brushing her hair using a very pink comb. “Jihoon, what time do we need to be at the hall for closing ceremony?”

Silence.

“Jihoon, do you hear me?”

Again, silence.

“Jihoon!”

The said girl shot her head up, eyes leaving the page on Harry Potter. “What?” she ask.

Seokmin rub . “Damn you.”

The latter smile. “Chill…”

 

 

The sky is dark, with stars littering everywhere, colouring the blue black galaxy with shiny and twinkling light. The frog and cricket making their own choir, singing through the night.

Somewhere, the voices from a building could be heard. Most students having their last orientation night with watching movies, some are sleeping and some were busy arranging their things.

Well, the resident of R-03 prefer to end it by stargazing.

Using Jeonghan’s spare blanket as the mat, some potato chips by courtesy of Seokmin and a bottle of milk tea that Jihoon bought this evening, all four of them sprawling on the blanket.

“Is it a crime, what we’re doing?” Seungkwan asked in half whisper, a blue mask on her face.

Jihoon raised one eyebrow. “For what?”

“Indecent exposure.” Seungkwan grin, raised her eyebrows twice.

“The wall is high like hell. It’s not like anybody can see us, and we’re not doing anything wrong.” Seokmin stated, gulping the milk tea before plopping some chips in .

Chuckled. “It’ll be a crime, if there is someone jealous enough to create a story with us as the criminal.” Jihoon closed her eyes.

This invite a laugh from her roommate.

Who else is jealous enough if not that Chaerin girl. During the one week of orientation, she’s kind of trying to pick a fight with Jihoon, and that included her roommates.

There’s this one time when Jihoon accidentally brought her MP3 to hall, and Chaerin saw it, so she reported it to Mrs. Mina. As the punishment, Jihoon and the rest of R-03 need to clean the cafeteria after dinner, and her MP3 is confiscated. Well, Jihoon got it back though. How? Even her roommate didn’t know.

She opened her eyes. “We start class tomorrow.” Jihoon sigh.

Jeonghan raised her hands up, as if trying to grab the stars. “Yeah. I can’t believe it’s been a week.” She lay down, using her arms as pillow.

“Tomorrow, is the real start of our struggle. I wish the best for all of us, maybe not for some, but since I’m a good girl, I’ll wish that certain person the best too.” Seungkwan snickered.

Scoff. “Yeah, all the best. Wanna sleep here for a while? It’s nice outside.”

“Why not.” Jihoon agrees, smiling. And as if on cue, thunders rumbling, shocking four girl.

Water droplets falls on top of Seokmin’s head who frowned deeply. The tiny droplets turn heavy as they scrambled around, taking everything before running towards their room, shielding themselves from the sudden heavy pour.

Seungkwan groaned. “And I just wish us all the best!”

The night ended with all four of them, sleeping like a log in their warm room, wrapped in the blanket like a cocoon. 

 

Jihoon opened her eyes slowly, as darkness of the night and the constant rumbling of thunders fills her views and eardrums. Pushing the blanket aside, she slip on the slipper and make her way to the bathroom. She locked the door, before pulling a rectangle thing from her pocket. Swiping across the screen, she tap on the contact icon. Scrolling down her contact list, her fingers halt before softly tapping on a contact, calling the said person. She put her phone on her ears.

5 seconds after ringing, someone answer. She chuckled hearing the sleepy tone answering her call.

“You forgot, ain’t you?” she asked, a smirk stay on her lips.

The person on the other line grumbled before saying a barely audible sorry.

“What do you think gonna happen tomorrow?” Jihoon asked again, her hands playing with the hem of her short sleeved shirt.

She bit her lips after hearing the reply. “Can’t promise, but I’ll just do the best, I guess. You too.”

Frown. “Fine. Just go back to sleep. See you later, I guess. Bye.”  She end the call, shoving the phone back into her pocket. Jihoon lean on the door. She sigh.

Tomorrow is going to be hard.

 

 

---

I apologise for any mispelling or weird usage of grammar. 

And if by any chance, I spelled the name wrong, please correct me. >_<

Thank you and happy reading!