Should've Listened

[SEMI-HIATUS] SaTzuration ; a one shot and drabble collection

A/N: This is angst. If you don't want to read it, you can skip it.
However, it will have a sequel which will be based on this chapter.
I blame you for this cowiscow! D:


It had been three times already.

Three times where Tzuyu had confessed.

Three times where Sana said that she’ll think about it.

Each time was a year apart and now, coming to their final year of high school, Tzuyu couldn’t do it any longer. She’d waited three years for Sana to give her an answer yet each time, she was left hanging. Sure, she’d gotten an answer that no one had ever gotten. She’d reject them all the time yet Tzuyu was the first one she’d actually considered.

Roses, chocolates, letters of affection; Tzuyu had done them all. She was out of ideas and out of hope that anything could come out of her one-sided love. Following Sana like a lost puppy, bubble tea in her hand every morning and grape juice during lunch. She knew what Sana liked and what she didn’t. What she wanted most was to know what was going inside Sana’s head; to know what she was feeling and thinking.

Her friends endlessly about her love and Tzuyu was starting to think that they were right. What was she to Minatozaki Sana? Another one of her supporters who would do anything for her? Someone who’d be at her beck and call whenever she wanted?

The last day of school was today and it was going to be the last time Tzuyu followed Sana like a lovesick puppy. She didn’t care about herself for the past three years but her heart was hurting and she could no longer bear the pain. She passed Sana’s bubble tea to her in the morning with a smile, preventing herself from breaking. Something in Sana’s eyes – perhaps a glint of recognition – was present but Tzuyu couldn’t let her see that. She smiled and wished Sana a good day ahead.

Trying not to think about her was hard yet Tzuyu found out that actually doing the work in her class rather than day dreaming made time go faster. Soon enough, it was lunch time and Tzuyu had the usual task of getting Sana’s grape juice. Handing it to her table with another smile, Tzuyu walked back to her group table.

“Something seems off about her.” Nayeon commented, pointing to Tzuyu.

“You see it too? I saw it this morning.” Sana mumbled.

“Could it possibly be a goodbye?” Mina dared to ask.

“That’s bull. She’s been at it for three years now, why would she stop now.” Momo scoffed as she ate.

“Maybe waiting three years is enough.” Mina snickered.

“She might just be having a bad day.” Nayeon commented.

Bad day? Sana had never seen Tzuyu have one of those. She’d never seen that smile of hers fade. Yet why was something nagging at her, even though she’d kept that smile on her face? Why did something seem missing?

The bell rang for the last part of class and everyone shuffled to their classes. A broody atmosphere present among them with the weather looking gloomy and downcast. It was most likely going to rain and Sana didn’t have an umbrella. She cursed at her brain and her lack of knowledge. Hoping that the rain wouldn’t come until she got home, Sana distracted herself by doing her work.

Her wishes were not granted and an hour left before class finished, it started raining outside. Sana whined at her fortune and looked outside. What was with today?

Tzuyu was running late to go home since she’d stayed back to collect some things from her locker. She shook her head as she noticed Sana standing by the stairs, looking at the rain. This could be her last act of kindness – of caring. She shrugged off her jacket and pulled out her umbrella, walking towards her. Tzuyu placed the jacket on Sana’s shoulders, surprising her. She placed the umbrella in her hand before she ran out in the rain towards her house.

“Always check the weather Sana-chan.” Tzuyu shouted, leaving an astounded Sana behind. She couldn’t even say anything because she was frozen in her spot. For the past three years, she was blessed with Tzuyu, someone who showered her with so much love and kindness. The reason behind her caution? A doubt in Sana’s mind prevented her from accepting her. Honestly, her heart had already accepted Tzuyu but it was just her mind that was saying no. She was hoping that what Mina had said wasn’t true. She was hoping she hadn’t given up yet.

She would accept Tzuyu when school came around the following year.


The first day of school started yet Sana hadn’t seen a girl with bubble tea in her hand waiting for her at her locker. Thinking that it could possibly be that she was late for once, Sana shrugged it off. A pang in her heart was present from not seeing Tzuyu in the morning but maybe lunch time would be better.

Lunch time came around and there was no grape juice placed on her table by Tzuyu either. Sana frowned at the thought, looking around in the cafeteria and noticing Tzuyu’s friends weren’t present either. Sana played around with her food at the loss of her appetite. Why wasn’t Tzuyu in school? Her friends sat at her table, noticing the lack of juice as well.

“No grape juice?” Nayeon asked, raising a brow.

“She had no bubble tea either.” Momo added.

Mina shook her head, not saying anything and eating her food. She knew that the others weren’t present in the school.

“What is it Mina?” Sana asked.

“Did you really think she was going to push forward for another year?” Mina whispered. “She took her time to give you flowers, to send you notes. She got you bubble tea in the morning and made sure you had grape juice at lunch. She made sure you were always okay and resting well even when you didn’t know about it. What did she get in return? Yes, I knew she was happier because you didn’t reject her at all. You fed her the lie that you’d consider it and she continued. She lived on those words like some sort of prayer. I told you that it would be her last time Sana.”

“H-how do you know all this stuff?” Sana stuttered.

“You’ll know one day.” Mina smiled sadly, taking her tray to the rubbish.

Momo and Nayeon could only watch on with their mouths hanging open. Mina never said a thing about Tzuyu until last year. It wasn’t until her mother had gotten remarried that she’d tried to explain things from what could be Tzuyu’s perspective. She talked endlessly about her new step sister and how quickly they’d become so close. Mina had only started to talk about Tzuyu more often since then.

Tzuyu was Mina’s step sister.

Sana chased after Mina, pulling her to the side before she looked at her with worry.

“Where is Tzuyu?” Sana asked.

Mina scoffed, looking down as she played with her fingers. “She decided to change schools. All her other friends moved with her too to provide support.”

“W-what? What do you mean she moved schools?” Sana stuttered, almost in tears.

“It means she’s no longer at this school Sana. She never spoke a word when she came home soaking wet on the last day of school. It wasn’t until a week later where she decided to change schools. According to her dad, she’s never asked for a single thing in her life so coming from her, it was something big.” Mina chuckled bitterly.

“What school?” Sana whispered.

“I don’t know. She’s gone before I leave and she comes home after me.” Mina shrugged.

“You’ve never asked her?” Sana frowned.

“She’s become a lot more distant with me than when we first met. We rarely talk now.” Mina muttered.

Sana took time to absorb everything in. Why was it that when she was finally going to accept her that things went haywire?

“Thank you Mina. There’s only one thing I regret most and that’s not accepting her earlier. I’m glad that she has you at least.” Sana said, resentful of her actions.

Mina pitied Sana.

She pitied her because things could have been different. Her sister and best friend were going to be in so much pain yet neither of them knew the other was suffering so much. She’d tried to ignore the sobs that came from Tzuyu’s room but it wasn’t easy. Giving up was hard and she knew that Tzuyu still loved Sana despite her agenda to move on. Looking at Sana right now, Mina could tell she was torn into pieces. She wanted to help them both. She wanted to get them to talk. But she couldn’t force things. Sana could always come over and talk to Tzuyu but it wouldn’t be easy.

If she could put it one word, Sana would say that she’s shattered. She’s broken. Broken because she’d let out of her grasp the one thing she should’ve held tightly on. The one she should’ve embraced completely. Yet she held Tzuyu at an arm’s length and now she was suffering the consequences. Just the sight of Tzuyu’s jacket draped on her chair was enough to send her into tears. She’d been foolish, she’d been stupid. She didn’t know how to fix this – how can she erase this pain in her heart? She wants to go to Tzuyu’s house and talk to her but what chance is there for her to listen? Sana crawled into her bed with Tzuyu’s jacket, unable to stop the tears from flowing.

She braved each school day with a smile on her face yet when she got home, it was a repeat of the first day. She’d cry her heart out, not eat much or do much and then sleep. Her friends had noticed and they were worried yet whatever they told Sana seemed to fall on deaf ears – she never changed.

Sana chuckled bitterly as she shook her head. She’d graduated yet she wasn’t feeling happy in the slightest. She’d hoped that she’d spot Tzuyu in the crowd, coming to see Mina but she was left disappointed.

She couldn’t help but agree with her heart, she really did deserve this.

She should've listened to her heart back when she listened to her mind.

She should've listened to Mina.

She should've listened.


A/N: I'm sorry this isn't fluffy but it's a two shot.
It will have a sequel later on :D

Sorry for any typos ~