Chap8: Restless Butterflies

Fixing My Broken Mate

Jinyoung’s POV

 

I shouldn’t have agreed.

 

I was supposed to push him away.

 

Stupid mouth,

 

Stupid heart,

 

Stupid me for giving consent.

 

On our way back to their house, Mark has this wide smile plastered on his face as he drove. The guy was so happy he was even whistling! And me? Sitting with a blabbering toddler, awkward as ever! It didn’t help that Mark kept on glancing my way and I, my body betraying me like hell, glances back to meet his eyes. He would smile at me when it happens. Do you know that smile that shows a lot of warmth and genuine happiness? It was weird, it had my heart beating like crazy.

 

When we got back to their house, I fled at lightning speed. I was obviously avoiding any confrontations with what had happened in the lake and I know that he can read it through my actions. He said nothing though and let me be.

 

Storming into my room, I quickly locked the door and slumped on the floor, dropping my bag beside me and not caring even when my laptop made a loud thud as it reached the floor.

 

“, this is bad… oh my god, I can still feel his warm hands on my skin, his strong arms on my waist! I… I need to distract myself, what the hell should I do? Yeah, work, I’m gonna work,” I blabbered to myself like a lunatic. I grabbed my things on the floor, placed them on my table, and proceeded to the bathroom. I need to freshen up first. Geez, I can still feel that spark of electricity from where he touched me.

 

I took a quick shower and hurriedly opened my laptop so I can start distracting myself from these feelings I thought I would never feel after shutting myself from the rest of the world. For the next hour, I busied myself typing and editing my work. I groaned as I massaged the aching shoulder and I could feel the stiffness up to my fingers. I made a quick stretch on my sore muscles before resuming my work. Not ten minutes later I heard a knock on my door.

 

“Jinyoung?” Mark called from the outside. “Can I come in?”

 

I squeaked and scrambled out of my chair, almost tripping myself in the process. I hurried towards the door to make sure he won’t open it. “I uh, I can’t open the door, I’m changing my uhm… my clothes… yeah,” I stammered, mentally slapping myself for the lame excuse. I prayed hard that he won’t insist on coming in.

 

“Oh, okay then.” He said and I hoped he didn’t catch up on my lie. “I just came to say that dinner is ready downstairs,” he continued. I bit my lip. I actually don’t want to face him now, I don’t think my poor heart can handle the confrontation.

 

“I’m not yet hungry,” I chirped instantly. “Y-you guys go ahead and eat. I’ll have dinner later.”

 

“You sure? I can bring up something for you,” he offered, and again, something fluttered in my stomach and it made me blush.

 

“N-no it’s okay, like I said I don’t feel like eating yet,” I replied.

 

“Fine, but don’t overwork yourself. Come down and eat later, okay?” he said with a bit of worry in his voice. A smile unknowingly made its way across my lips for his concern towards me. I muttered a soft okay and listened to his retreating footsteps. Still smiling, I made my way back to my work. I plunked myself back on my seat and resumed typing.

 

Mark has this odd effect on me. For instance, I have already decided to stay away from him and thought that nothing can change my mind but just a glimpse of him and a sniff of his addicting scent I feel like my body is being drawn to him like there’s this invisible force that makes me crave for his touch and his scent. And his voice, there’s something in it that makes me agree to whatever he was saying despite my mind protesting. At first, it annoyed me to feel these things but as I spend more time with him I become more attached to those weirdness that I often crave for his dominating aura. Maybe his weirdness is affecting me too coz I find all of these feelings calming and, I don’t know, it just feels the right thing.

 

I didn’t know for how long I remained glued to my work until I heard Mark calling and knocking on my door again. My feet were itching to run and let him in but I suppress the desire to do so and instead I hummed and pretend I didn’t hear anything. A few minutes later Mark got quiet and the next thing I heard the lock on my room clicked and my door opened. My head snapped back to the now open door and found a worried-looking Mark.

 

“Jesus, why weren’t you answering? I’ve been knocking and calling for you for the last five minutes,” he scolded as he walked towards where I was seated. I saw him holding a set of keys which explained how he opened my locked door. I whipped my flustered face back to my laptop pretending to focus on my work when actually my whole attention was drawn to the man who’s standing behind me and whose warmth and scent rapidly invaded my senses.

 

“I’m… I’m sorry, I was preoccupied and didn’t notice you,” I lied yet again. I felt him sigh deeply before my chair was spun around. Mark leaned down, his hands settled on the backrest of the chair trapping me between them. He leaned closer and my breath hitched when his nose touched mine.

 

“You’re avoiding me,” he stated a matter of factly. “You’ve been avoiding me since the drive back from the lake. Didn’t you agree to give me the chance? How do you think can I do that when you desperately refuse to even stare at me for one whole minute?” he continued, raising his brow in question.

 

I found myself unable to keep a steady gaze so I attempted to lower my head. He wouldn’t have any of it so he held my chin with his right hand and tilted it back. “Answer me Jinyoung-ah, why are you avoiding me?” he asked, eyes searching my panicking ones. My skin was tingling from where he’s touching and it brought colors to my cheeks.

 

Since I was unable to move my head away, I closed my eyes tightly and spilled my thoughts. “I don’t know. You make me feel things I have long forgotten and thought I would never feel again. It’s… it’s overwhelming and it’s freaking me out,” I confessed holding in my breath as I wait for what he has to say. And before I knew it I was hauled up and I squealed so loud when I realized Mark was holding me in his strong arms and he was walking to my door. I quickly wrapped my hands and limbs around his neck and waist in fear of falling on the floor. How he managed to lift me when we are about the same height and built is a puzzling thing for me.

 

“W-wait, where are we going?” I asked panicked. He tucked my head on his neck allowing me to inhale his addicting scent. And inhale him I did. I took a deep breath and the smell of strawberries and coffee filled me, hmmmm… yummy. I felt Mark shiver and that’s when I realized what I was doing. Embarrassment washed over me for my actions so I hid my face in his shoulder with a groan.

 

“My room, you will be sleeping there for the rest of your stay here,” he plainly answered. I wiggled out of his arms in protest but he was having none of it. He pinned my hands on his chest as he proceeded to open the door to his room. He set me down on the bed and he sat beside me.

 

“Look, you gave me my chance Jinyoung and I am going to make sure I use that chance well. You only have a couple of days left here in my house and I want to spend as much time with you so you will be staying here in my room with me and I won’t take no for an answer,” he explained. My eyes went wide with the thought of sharing a room with him and he knowingly smirked at me. Again, there was this something weird in his voice that makes me want to obey though my mind was protesting to what he was saying.

 

“B-but my things, my laptop, I need to finish my work tonight,” I muttered, my eyes were strained towards the open door of his room. I was lying of course. I don’t really have to finish anything tonight but if I would be staying here then I need something to do to distract myself. Maybe he’ll get bored watching me type away and would fall asleep before I do.

 

“I’ll go get them. Stay there,” he instructed and he was gone again. When he came back he had my things with him. He gave me my laptop and proceeded to put my bag of clothes in his closet.

 

“Aren’t you gonna eat? It’s way past ten pm and you haven’t have dinner yet,” he said, he made his way back to the bed as sat on the edge of it. I on the other hand was already leaning on the wall as I boot my computer so I can start working.

 

“Not hungry hyung,” I told him, I saw him frown and was about to say something but his phone went off. He cursed but he excused himself to his office and took the call.

 

“Jinyoung,” he called after a few minutes. He was back inside the room but he has this frown on his face. “Just stay here and work on your laptop, you can sleep ahead if you want to. I’ll be in my office, call me if you need anything, okay?” he said, looking a bit disappointed.

 

“Are you okay?” I blurted out before I could stop myself. To be honest I was worried because at moment he looks happy but after the phone call, he looked distressed.

 

A smile slowly formed on his face as he sat beside me on the bed. He leaned closer and I have lean back only to hit the solid wall. “I’m just disappointed. I was hoping to spend this night with you, to talk and get to know you more but I guess work comes first. I need to finish some things and you need to finish your manuscripts. Luck is just against me,” he muttered the last one disappointedly. His hand reached for my cheek and he caressed it making me blush then he suddenly leaned closer and dropped a kiss on my forehead making my face erupt in redness. “You’re cute,” he teased and I snapped my head back to my laptop in embarrassment.

 

“Shut up,” I muttered causing him to chuckle. I mentally cursed myself for blushing and there’s these fluttering in my stomach again like hundreds of restless butterflies began to flutter around excitedly. He finally stood up and crossed the room towards his adjoining office. He made sure the door was open and we can both see each other from our respective places.

 

While we were both working I can’t help but spare a glance at him. His attention was on his computer and he had this look of concentration that made his brow furrowed. The way the light from the computer illuminated his handsome face was so stunning that I can’t help but stare a little longer. His lips are in a tight line and his right hand was busy alternating from typing on his laptop and writing notes on his pad. There was that moment when he bit the end of the pen and my eyes unconsciously traveled to his mouth and watched as he nipped the thing. And as if on cue, the restless butterflies churned in my gut again and I forced myself to look away from the tempting view. It took me a whole lot to stop myself from staring again but thankfully I managed to distract myself with the story I was typing.

 

Later on, for god knows how long we stayed silent and worked on our own, I saw a glimpse of Mark getting up and exited the room from the other door that leads to his personal living room. Moments later the door in his room opened but I did not dare look up from my work. From my peripheral view, I saw him place something on the table then he approached the bed. I thought he was gonna sit beside me again but seconds later my laptop was snatched away from me.

 

“H-hey!” I protested and tried to take my laptop back but Mark stopped me. He had this stop-and-do-as -I-say look that shut me up instantly. He placed my laptop on the other side of the bed and he gently pulled me up. “What are you doing?” I asked.

 

“Come here, you must be hungry,” he said. That’s when I saw a tray of food on the table. It wasn’t something heavy, just some slices of fruits two clubhouse sandwiches, and two glasses of apple juice.

 

“I’m not hungry,” I whined but my stomach rumbled at the same time making me flush with embarrassment yet again. Mark chuckled and I thought he was gonna comment on it but he didn’t. He sat on the chair and my eyes scanned around the table. There’s no chair for me.

 

“Come here,” Mark instructed as he took my hand and pulled me closer. It was only when I was yanked down to his lap that I realized what he wanted. I squealed and squirmed away but he s his left arm around my waist to hold me still. Cue the blush and the butterflies.

 

“Stay still baby, and let’s eat.” Oh god, he called me baby again. Hearing that word sends shivers to my spine. “You like it when I call you baby, don’t you?” he teased as he leaned forward and invaded my personal space.

 

“Shut it,” I told him, still blushing furiously. I busied myself picking up the sandwich and started to eat and Mark did the same. I pretend not to notice the warmth radiating from our closely pressed bodies and the way his hand was mindlessly caressing my tummy through the fabric of my pajama. The butterflies in my gut grew more restless with every gentle touch of his hand and every breath of his that fanned to my skin.

 

Mark ate fast, he was done eating his sandwich while I was still halfway through it. I pointed the slices of fruit to him but he shook his head and told me it was for me. “Next time, don’t trade your needs just to avoid me. You should have eaten earlier,” he scolded, I didn’t know what to respond so I kept my mouth shut. “And next time whatever the problem is, talk to me instead of avoiding me. Okay?” he said with a firm squeeze of my waist. I found myself blushing yet again but I managed to nod.

 

“I’m done,” I informed him after emptying the bowl of fruits.

 

“Le me take those in the kitchen. Why don’t you go lay down, I’ll join you after I freshen up,” he said as he gave my tummy one last pat and we both stood up.

 

“I take the dishes, you go freshen up,” I murmured while proceeding to place the empty plates and glasses on the tray.

 

“You sure?” he asked, I nodded. “Thanks,” he said and kissed my temple before scurrying to his bathroom. He left me silently blushing.

 

I went to the kitchen and washed the dishes we used. I took my time, I was stalling and hoping that when I came back to his room he was already knocked out. But who am I kidding? He’d probably come down and look for me any minute now coz honestly, how long can a person wash a bowl, a plate, and two glasses?

 

When I returned to his room he was already in bed, he patted on the space beside him and motioned for me to come over. With hesitant movements and a flustered face, I settled myself under the covers beside him. Damn the blanket’s so warm, he is so warm. Not a second later that I was comfortably on my back he wrapped those strong arms on my torso and pulled me close. My mind got clouded and I soon surrendered to the desire of being locked in his warm embrace and feel him so close to me. I turned to face him and tucked my head under his chin. He pulled away for a moment before I felt him kiss my forehead and I felt him smile. He must be happy that I am giving in and not pulling away from his cuddling.

 

“Jinyoungie,” he called, I hummed to let him know I heard him. “There are still a lot of things I need to tell you about me and I still have a lot to learn about you. You’re gonna discover a lot of things about me Jinyoung-ah and I hope you will accept me for what I truly am. Whatever you will learn about me, always remember that I will never hurt you, I will die protecting you and trust me when I say that my feelings for you is true.”

 

 

I was confused. What is it that this perfect being is scared to tell me? But then, there are plenty of things about me that I am not ready to tell him too. Maybe he had those too. So if he wanted not to tell me whatever it is yet then I’ll wait just as he is patiently waiting for me to open up to him