Chap4: A Glimpse Of His Past

Fixing My Broken Mate

Jinyoung’s POV

 

“I told you I am not staying in there!”

 

“Jinyoung, you have to!” My uncle replied. I could see that he was trying to be calm but I know for a fact that I was getting into his nerves already.

 

He might be my uncle but I was not backing down in the argument. I refused to. “But I don’t want to stay there with whoever lives in there!” I retorted.

 

“It’s the safest place for you Jinyoung! We will only be gone for a week. I just want you safe while we are away,”

 

“Then just lock the ing door! I am not leaving this room and that’s final!”

 

“Last time I left you alone we found you in your bathroom, bloody with deep gashes on your wrist! I don’t want to see you in there again,”

 

“Then maybe this time I will do it here on top of my bed!”

 

“Don’t joke like that Jinyoung-ah. That is not funny!”

 

“Who says I’m joking?!”

 

My uncle was already on the tip of his breaking point. That much I could tell.

 

The heated conversation started when Uncle Haejin told me they were going away for a week. They were heading to my aunt’s province for her parents’ golden anniversary and he wanted me to stay in that big house with the mayor. I refused and that led us to this argument.

 

I was stubborn and hard-headed, I know. I just didn’t want to mingle with other people. I wanted them nowhere near me. I did not want to get attached to them. Why give them a chance to come in when they will eventually leave me?

 

Our conversation was however interrupted by a knock on my door.

 

“Excuse me boys, but someone’s here to see you,” my Aunt Minyoung said from the other side. My uncle sighed deeply before opening the door. To my surprise, the guy Mark, who introduced himself as the Mayor walked in.

 

“Good morning Haejin hyung, Jinyoung,” he greeted. He’s wearing a plain white shirt and blue jeans but damn he still looked y. I might have stared at him longer than I intended to. Nonetheless, I ignored him and sat on my bed. “I’m sorry but I was walking by when I heard you both raising your voices. Is everything alright?” he asked.

 

Did you think we’ll shout if we’re alright? Geez.

 

My uncle sighed. “Everything is fine Mark. I was just telling Jinyoung about that favor I mentioned to you,” he politely explained. I grabbed my fallen book and pretended to read.

 

“I see. Well Jinyoung, I am honored to accommodate you in my home while your family’s away,” Mr. Mayor said. “Pack a few things then I’ll have someone bring them over my place.”

 

There was something in his voice that compelled me. Also, his voice was so… spine-tingling? I couldn’t find the right word to describe it but every time he spoke I could feel a shiver run down my spine.

 

“I don’t need a ing nanny,” I murmured. I could not stop myself from throwing remarks.

 

“Jinyoung! Watch you language!” Uncle Haejin scolded. Why is he so tense whenever the Mayor is around? What’s so big deal with him?

 

“It’s okay Haejin hyung. If Jinyoung doesn’t want somebody to take his bags then fine, but I expect him to be in my house after lunch. I believe you and your family will be leaving at two so there’s enough time to drop Jinyoung off,” the young mayor told my uncles. I could feel that he was staring at me but I did not dare look up from my book.

 

I was wracking my brain for some excuse not to stay with him. However, the more I dug deep the more I became aware that a part of me wanted to stay with him, to run to him and be held with those strong-looking arms.

 

With a heavy sigh, I accepted my fate. I weighed my choices and found that really have no option. If I refused to stay at Mark’s house then my uncle will take me with them. I will be interacting with so much more people in that family gathering. I did not like the thought of it. Therefore, I had no choice but to stay with Mark. Maybe I could just lock myself in his guest room or something.

 

“Let’s leave Jinyoung to pack his stuff. Can I talk to you in private hyung?” Mark asked my uncle. The latter took one last glance at me before leading Mark out of my room and probably into his office.

 

For some unexplainable reason, I felt empty and longing the moment Mark was out of my sight. His scent always calmed me like how it just did a while ago when appeared in the middle of my argument with my uncle.

 

I admit I have gotten used to seeing him. Who wouldn’t? He was always dropping by at uncle’s clinic every so often and I know it’s weird but I could always tell when he was near. Maybe it’s that perfume of his? The sweet fragrance of strawberry and coffee.

 

Now that I have mentioned it, everything in him was actually weird. His scent, his presence, the way everyone has high respect for him, and how his voice seems to dominate me. I also couldn’t deny the fact that he’s damn gorgeous. One would be blind if he disagrees with me. His pale skin, his seemingly toned muscles that rippled when he flexed, his beautiful smile and high-pitched laughter. He’s perfect.

 

He’s too perfect and I envied him. I bet his life was perfect too, unlike mine. He got a cute son and probably a beautiful wife and what did I get? My family’s gone and all that’s left with me is my uncle and his family. Now don’t get me wrong. I love them so much but I’m scared I’d end up ruining their life as I ruined my family’s. That’s why I keep pushing them away and everybody else. I didn’t want to spread whatever misfortune I have to anyone else. Not again.

 

“Jinyoung hyung?” a small voice chirped from my doorway then his head poked into my door. “Can I come in?”

 

“Sure, Josh. Come here.” I motioned for my five-year-old cousin to come in. He smiled and skipped towards me.

 

“Are you okay?” he asked. I picked him up and set him down on my bed.

 

“I am Josh, why wouldn’t I be?”

 

“I heard you and appa arguing. Are you mad at him?”

 

I sighed. I didn’t mean for him to hear that. “I’m not mad. We just had a bit of misunderstanding, that’s all.”

 

“You’re not coming with us later? There will be a lot of food then music, then we can dance!” he asked, his voice was a bit hopeful. I hated to crush his hope but I really didn’t want to come.

 

“I’m sorry buddy but I can’t. I’ll just stay here and wait for you,” I told him. His face dropped and I feel really bad for upsetting him. “Don’t sulk Josh. I’m just not well enough to travel for hours and your appa wants me to stay and rest.”

 

His face turned from upset to worry. He cupped my face with his two tiny hands and asked, “Are you sick? Should I go tell appa?”

 

I couldn’t help but smile at his sweet concern. “Yes buddy, I’m a bit unwell. Your appa already know and he already gave me some meds,” I lied. I hate lying to him but I couldn’t think of any simple explanation that his young mind could understand.

 

He crawled to my lap and settled himself. “Are you staying here?” he asked as he hugged me. “I don’t want you to be alone.”

 

“I’m staying with your mayor, Mark, for the meantime,” I replied. I his hair gently but he suddenly pulled away.

 

“Then I’m glad.” He smiled brightly at me. I was confused.

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Because I know he will take good care of you.”

 

-oOo-

 

Mark’s POV

 

“Thanks for coming Alpha, he was really stubborn and I might have lost my temper if you didn’t arrive,” Haejin hyung stated, running his hands on his messy hair as we stepped into his office.

 

“It’s nothing hyung. I’m glad you called for me.”

 

Some nights ago, Haejin hyung asked me a favor if Jinyoung could stay with me for the rest of the week as he and his family needs to attend some family gathering. I agreed of course. It was a perfect opportunity for me to get to know him.

 

It was the morning of the day of their departure and I was preparing Luke’s breakfast when Haejin hyung talked to me through the pack link telling me he needs me to convince Jinyoung to agree about the arrangement. I immediately called for one of my friends to look after my son before making my way out of the pack house. When I got near Haejin hyung’s house I could hear their heated conversation and that’s when I came in.

 

Jinyoung got quiet immediately when he saw me. He was stubborn, so I used my alpha voice to tell him to pack his things, leaving no room for argument. He gave me a rather bratty comment about having a nanny and if he wasn’t my mate, human or not, I will put him in place for his words.

 

Ignoring his comment I told him to be at my house by two pm. I expected him to say another protest but thankfully he didn’t argue anymore but I could feel the hesitation in him. Before he could complain I asked Haejin hyung to talk in private, leaving him in his room alone.

 

“So what do you want to talk about Alpha?” Haejin hyung asked. He motioned for me to sit on the chair in front of his table.

 

I cleared my throat and said, “It’s about Jinyoung. I want you to tell me about his past.”

 

“But Alpha–”

 

“Please hyung, I need to know. You can leave some details out if you want. Just please tell me the big picture of what he has been through. I want to help him so bad but I don’t know how to approach him. I’m worried I might say something that would upset him,” I explained. Even though I am the Alpha I do respect my pack member’s privacy and I would never do anything to force them to tell me unless it entails the safety and security of the pack, of course.

 

I honestly wanted to wait until Jinyoung would be comfortable enough and talk about this with me but as I said, I needed to know what I’m dealing with. I needed information so I could act properly around him. I didn’t want to ruin his stay with me with one wrong word or action that might upset him.

 

For a moment Haejin hyung and I engaged in a staring battle. That until I heard him sigh. “Fine, I will tell you but promise me you will not let Jinyoung know I told you this. I’m doing this to help you Alpha because I know you’re probably the only person that can bring my old Jinyoung back,” Haejin hyung finally decided.

 

“Thank you hyung,” I gratefully replied.

 

“Well to sum it up, Jinyoung lost his family. First were his grandparents, then his mom and dad. However, the last one was Jinyoung’s breaking point. It was only two years ago, when his sister, Lily, died in a car accident.

 

The thing is, Jinyoung was there every single time he lost a family member. Since then he has been isolating himself, believing that he brings nothing but tragedy, that he brought that misfortune to his family. For so many times he attempted to take his life but thankfully he fails every time,” he related to me. The hurt and anguish in his voice were so thick I thought Haejin hyung was gonna break down in front of me but he was able to hold himself together.

 

My chest was clenching as I listen to the things he said. It was something I thought I would only hear in movies or read in books and yet it actually happened in real life and out of millions of people it happened to my mate. I’m fighting the urge to storm into Jinyoung’s room and hug the out of him, comfort him, and convince him that he’s a blessing and not a curse. I badly wanted to hold him in my arms.

 

“That’s all I can tell you Alpha. I hope it can help you deal with his demons. He has plenty of those I hope you can help him fight them,” Haejin hyung stated while patting my shoulder.

 

 

“Thanks hyung. I’ll try my best.”