Chap17: Rogues on the Loose

Fixing My Broken Mate

Mark’s POV

 

“Mark are you okay? You look tired, more tired than me,” Jinyoung worriedly spoke. We were in the living room watching Luke animatedly play with his toys. I was sitting on the rocking chair with my eyes closed and both my babies were on the carpeted floor.

 

“Yeah, I’m good Jinyoungie. Just a bit sleepy from late night work,” I responded, smiling softly at him. He looked at me doubtfully but in the end, he simply nodded.

 

To be honest I couldn’t get enough sleep recently. There have been frequent rogue attacks even in the middle of the night. I’m too worried to sleep. Jinyoung of course didn’t know this. I always make sure he slept through the commotion outside our pack house. Thankfully he has been easily tired due to his pregnancy so he’s always knocked out cold at night. It’s also fortunate that he is human so he couldn’t smell or hear the trouble creeping in our pack.

 

“Do you want some coffee? Want me to get you some?” Jinyoung offered, sending side worried glances at me. I have to smile at how concern he was. It was heartwarming.

 

“It’s fine baby, I already had one a while ago.”

 

He resumed watching over Luke while I sat there watching him. He was wearing a loose shirt but his tummy was still sticking out. He had some difficulty for the past weeks, mainly about his unfitted clothes so we had to go buy him new and bigger ones. I feel like I was on cloud nine every time I get to hug him and caress his belly. Feeling the bump on his once flat stomach assured me that indeed he was pregnant and that all this wasn’t just stupid hallucinations of mine. If only this rogue business didn’t surface then this could have been a perfect life for me.

 

“How about we go for a little walk?” he suddenly asked, a bit too enthusiastic while turning in my direction. “We can go to the lake,” he hopefully suggested to which I immediately refused.

 

“Let’s just stay here Jinyoung-ah.” His face immediately darkened.

 

“But why? I miss going there. We used to go there often,”

 

“And what happened the last time you were there Jinyoung-ah? Even if I would be there to look after you it’s still dangerous. I can’t risk it especially now that you’re pregnant,” I firmly said, remembering that incident that led Jinyoung to discover my true identity. Since then we haven’t set foot on the lake.

 

Jinyoung’s eyes began to water but he quickly blinked them away. “I just want to walk around and breathe some fresh air,” he mumbled dejectedly. I felt guilty right away. “You can relax a bit too so you wouldn’t be too grumpy.”

 

I admit I have been keeping him inside the pack house for the last three weeks due to the rogue incidents but can you blame me? I was only being cautious. But now, seeing how it affects Jinyoung made me feel stupid for confining him in here. I also didn’t mean to be grumpy. There are just a lot of things in my mind as of the moment that I tend to snap at people around me.

 

He didn’t insist anymore but I saw and felt the sadness in him as he resumed playing with Luke. The kid, on the other hand, I watched as he stared at Jinyoung’s obvious upset face for a moment until his lips formed into a pout and that stare turned into a glare as he shifted his eyes on me.

 

“Bad Daddy!” Luke scolded me. Hands crossed over his chest and his eyes were sending daggers my way. I was taken aback.

 

“Luke!” Jinyoung warned, looking at the baby sternly. “Don’t yell at Daddy.”

 

Now Luke sulked as well. He stared at Jinyoung with wide sad eyes and his lips began to tremble. When his first sob broke in, Jinyoung instantly reached for him.

 

“Come here baby,” Jinyoung said. He pulled Luke on his lap and caressed his small back. “I’m not upset with you, okay? But you shouldn’t yell at Daddy. Hush now,” he consoled. Luke still cried. His hands were on Jinyoung’s swollen belly as he hiccupped through his tears.

 

I sighed. Notwithstanding the look of sadness on their faces, I stood up from my chair and joined them on the floor. I sat beside Jinyoung and placed an arm behind him, pulling him closer to me. “Come here Luke,” I said, tapping my lap. Luke crawled over to me, wrapping his tiny hands on my torso and snuggling his tear-stained face on my chest. “I’m sorry for upsetting you both. I didn’t mean to be mean by keeping you here and by my recent behavior. I’m just worried and I want you guys to be safe always.”

 

“But you said before that we are safe as long as we are inside the territory,” Jinyoung argued. How can I tell him that it might not be that safe anymore? With the rogues and Leon’s threat to our pack, I doubt they will let the opportunity pass once they see any of my family roaming around near the boundaries.

 

“I know Jinyoung, but like I said, I’m not taking any risk especially now that you’re pregnant,”

 

Jinyoung didn’t argue. Instead, he dejectedly slumped on my side, resting his head on my shoulder. He played with Luke’s hair as our baby tried to fight his sleepiness.

 

“How about we go to Jackson’s?” I suggested, trying to brighten up his mood. Surely nothing’s gonna happen while we’re there, right? It’s just next door anyway. “We can stay in their deck and eat something. Luke can play with the other kids and you can watch them.”

 

That seemed to work coz Jinyoung shot up from my shoulder and stared at me, a hopeful glint in his eyes.

 

“Can we really?” he beamed.

 

“Yeah, so why don’t you go grab your sweater while I change something warmer for Luke,” I replied, kissing his temple. I stood up, carrying the still half asleep Luke with me. Looking down I can’t help but laugh softly as I saw Jinyoung cutely struggling to get up with his heavy tummy.

 

“Don’t laugh,” he reprimanded.

 

“Here, let me help you,” I offered, extending my hand that is not holding Luke to help him get up. “Now go change.” I d his and playfully slap it lightly as I pushed him towards our bedroom.

 

*Bam, Jacks, we’re going to your place. Is that okay? Jinyoung wants to go out of the house.* I linked Jackson and Bambam.

 

*Yeah, sure Alpha. Bam’s making some strawberry shortcakes too, Jinyoung will love it.* Jackson replied through the link.

 

*I’m sure he will* I replied. *Have two warriors posted at the back of your house and two more out front. We’ll be out shortly* I instructed and Jackson immediately obliged. I finished changing the now awake Luke and went to grab his bottle from the kitchen. A little while more, Jinyoung joined us wearing my sweater and the three of us made our way out of the pack house.

 

The kids were indeed playing on the lawn in front of Jackson’s house including Jinyoung’s nephew, Joshua. When the said kid saw us he ran squealing towards our way. Jinyoung scooped him up in a big hug and showered him plenty of kisses.

 

“Can I play with Luke? Please?” Joshua pleaded, showing us his cute adorable puppy eyes. I set Luke down and let Joshua take his tiny hand.

 

“Here you go bud, hold him up coz he still walks like a bit like a drunkard,” I told Joshua and he beamed at me and promised to look after Luke.

 

“Hyungs!” Bambam shouted from their deck. “You’re just in time, the strawberry shortcakes are almost ready.” That definitely delighted my mate coz the next thing I knew, I’m being dragged towards Bam’s house.

 

“Hey Mark! I hope you don’t mind if we join you,” Jaebum greeted, he was with Youngjae and Yugyeom too. They were already sitting on the deck with Jackson.

 

“Don’t be silly Jae, of course we don’t,” I told him. I made sure Jinyoung was comfortable first before I took my seat. He greeted them shyly and remained quiet.

 

“Hi Jinyoung hyung! How’s your pregnancy? I hope everything’s fine,” Yugyeom asked in a hushed tone. So far, only our family and my closest friends knew about Jinyoung’s pregnancy. My mate wears my oversized sweaters when he goes out or when we have visitors so no one really noticed.

 

“I’m good, thanks,” he replied.

 

The food arrived shortly, much to Jinyoung’s delight. He wasted no time digging in and chomping down those strawberries Bambam gave him. We were enjoying the beautiful weather talking about various topics that came to mind. But our peaceful afternoon was interrupted when a shuddering cry sounded on our link.

 

*ROGUES! ROGUES HAS BREACHED THE TERRITORY!* I heard over the pack link. Instantly, The warrior nearby stood alert. Then a wolf sprinted in to view. He was one of my trackers. He stumbled and fell on the lawn where the kids were playing. He then shifted back to his human form – his bloody human form. Jaebum, Jackson, and I were on our feet in an instant.

 

“M-Mark,” Jinyoung gasped from beside me, he was standing now too and his hands trembled and he held mine tightly.

 

“Jackson stay with Jinyoung! Youngjae, call Haejin hyung, now!” I commanded then I let go of my mate's hand to rush over to the injured wolf.

 

“What happened? Where are the rogues?” I asked as I assessed the damage in his body. He had a deep wound on his left stomach that obviously came from sharp claws. His chest has few scratches and he was coughing blood.

 

“I s-scented them not far from the east gate. There were plenty of them. I-I tried to follow their f-faint scent and it led me d-deep in the forest,” He stopped to gather his breath, “Next t-thing I knew I was jumped by a rogue and he c-clawed me. I managed to throw him over a-and ran. T-two more rogues c-chased me,” he slowly related. Just as he finished, Haejin hyung came out and attended him immediately.

 

I was about to give my orders but my werewolf hearing picked up series of screams down the road, on the outskirts of the forest. All werewolves snapped towards that way. I didn’t waste any more time and began barking orders.

 

“BamBam, take Jinyoung and Luke to the basement now! Yugyeom, gather the kids the elders and the women, take them there and do not come out until I said so!” The two immediately moved. “Jackson take five warriors with you, round the place and make sure everyone is brought to safety, Jaebum and the rest of the warriors will come with me!”

 

“No! Mark what’s happening! Where are you going?!” I heard Jinyoung screamed. I turned around and saw the panic in his face. One of the warriors was carrying Luke and Bambam was restraining Jinyoung who refused to come with them.

 

“Hyung we need to get to the basement!” Bambam insisted, pulling the now crying Jinyoung away.

 

“No! Where is Mark going? I’m not coming without Mark!” Jinyoung stubbornly argued, pushing Bambam away.

 

“Just go Jinyoung!” I shouted, “I’ll come get you after, I promise.” With one last glance, I turned around and shifted to my wolf form then we dashed towards the outskirts. I could still hear Jinyoung shouting my name.

 

-oOo-

 

Jinyoung’s POV

 

I was forcedly taken back to the pack house and was led basement which I never knew existed until now. I was still crying, shouting Mark’s name and demanding them to bring him to me. Everyone was looking at me but I didn’t give a damn. I couldn’t understand what was happening. All I know is that someone attacked that wolf from earlier. I couldn’t hear what he was telling Mark but I’m sure they are going to hunt and battle whoever did that to him.

 

I didn’t stop crying even when my Aunt came to me and tried to assure me that everything was fine. I may be oblivious but I am not stupid. Something dangerous was happening up there and Mark was leading his warriors to fight. I’m worried and damn scared of what might happen to him. I can’t bear to lose him.

 

In the midst of my tears, I felt pain in my shoulder. I whimpered in pain and clutched it.

 

“Jinyoung are you okay?” My aunt worriedly asked after seeing my pained expression.

 

 

“S-something wrong,” I said between my sobs, “Aargh! It hurts!” I whimpered again, still clutching my left shoulder tightly. Then I felt a sudden burning pain in my back like someone was slicing me. The pain was too much I fell on the floor. I remember the pack members gathering around me, calling my name before darkness consumed me.

 

-oOo-

 

I woke up lying on soft sheets. Opening my eyes, I saw familiar furniture and fixtures around and I realized I was in our bedroom. I clutched my head, it felt so heavy. I tried to recall what had happened and my mind was flooded with the earlier events – the wounded wolf, Mark leaving with the warriors, being taken to the basement, the searing pain on my shoulder and back. Carefully, shifted on the bed, trying to get up. Then I heard raised voices. I couldn’t really make out what they were conversing but the voices were so familiar to me. Despite still feeling a bit weak, I sat up and turned to where the voices were. I saw the door to Mark’s office ajar. Slowly, I walked towards it, figuring out that Mark was in there and I desperately need to know that he’s alright.

 

“… risk it dad. Luke has to come with you, he’ll be safe there.” Mark said firmly. For some reason, I stopped right outside the slightly opened door and listened. I tried my best to keep my breathing steady so Mark wouldn’t notice my presence.

 

“How about Jinyoung?” It was Mark’s dad. When did they arrive?

 

“He’ll have to stay with me. I can’t leave his side Papa. He was really scared earlier. My wolf can’t rest if he’s not on my side. I promise I’ll protect him. They have to kill me first before they lay a hand on him,” Mark said. What the heck is going on?

 

“Mark? Mark!” I heard somebody called, then a door slammed open. “Oh my god Mark! Are you okay? I heard you were injured, have you healed? I was so worried,” Mark’s mother frantically questioned. I was about to barge in, worried when I heard he was injured but then Mark spoke again.

 

“I’m fine Ma. The wounds have healed completely. Jinyoung felt my pain though then he collapsed,” he told his mom.

 

So what I felt earlier was him getting wounded. It was this ‘I can feel what you fee through the mating bond’ that made me experience Mark’s pain.

 

“How’s Jinyoung Mark? I was at work when I was notified about the attack, I drove here immediately,” his mom said.

 

“He’s sleeping. I was going crazy earlier when they mind linked me that Jinyoung collapsed. I was scared something happened to him and to our baby,” Mark frustratedly replied. “I will definitely kill Leon and that daughter of his! This is their entire fault!” Mark raised his voice again. Who’s Leon anyway?

 

“Well if you didn’t insult his daughter you wouldn’t be in this situation right now,” his dad pointed.

 

“She insulted my mate, right in front of me! What do you want me to do? Clap my hands and praise her? And she dared flirt with me despite knowing I found my mate! Seriously dad, if it was Mama she insulted, what would you do?!” Mark yelled. So I clutched my hands, this was the first time I heard Mark yelling angrily.

 

“You could have handled it more diplomatically! She was being rude, yes, but that doesn’t mean you have to be rude too!”

 

“So you mean I should have only reprimanded her? That I should have ing sat there, told her dad that her of a daughter should stop what she was doing and expect him to do as I said? The wasn’t even listening to me! Now you blame me for all this?! All I did was to defend my mate!” Mark yelled once again.

 

So all this was because of me. If I heard it right, he made that Leon guy mad after he defended me from his daughter’s insults. I was the reason why they are fighting and killing each other.

 

“Stop it you two! There’s no point blaming now and all we could do is to think of a way to take down Leon’s pack and the rogues,” Mama scolded them.

 

“I swear I will kill them,” Mark seethed, “He wounded my warriors and threatened my pack. I will tear Leon’s limbs slowly and make sure he suffers before he dies.”

 

I heard new voices joining their conversation but I wasn’t listening anymore. My mind went blank, trying to digest everything that I heard. I took careful steps back till I fell on the soft bed.

 

I thought it has ended. I thought my life was finally going smoothly and fine. But like before, when everything seems perfect, something would come up and remind me that I am nothing but misfortune to whoever loves me.

 

The picture of that wounded warrior from earlier flashed in my mind. The fear, the panic, and the screams of the pack members and Mark getting injured as he fought. I caused that. All of those were because of me.

 

I couldn’t stay. If I stay, I would only cause more trouble, even death among the people who took me in and treated me like family. I’d rather go back living alone than spend the rest of my life here watching everyone suffer from the misfortune I carry with me.

 

 

I have to leave.