Chap2: Mr. Mayor

Fixing My Broken Mate

Jinyoung’s POV

 

I did not need sympathy.

 

I did not need help.

 

I wanted to be alone.

 

No.

 

I wanted to die.

 

What’s worse was that I keep living a cursed life, watching every single person I care for die right before my eyes. All those times I have witnessed them draw their last breath, I wished it was me instead. Damn all money and all fame, I would give up anything to have my family back – to embrace them and feel their loving warmth again.

 

But who was I kidding?

 

Life was cruel and so was fate. For so many years I prayed to all gods, to any god at all, to take my life so I can be with my family again. But seems like whatever god is out there, he doesn’t want me dead yet.

 

Cutting myself was nothing new. It was my way of coping. The pain I felt every time I cut gave me a temporary distraction, an escape from reality.

 

It was one of those days where I felt so hopeless and wanted to flee so I made a deep gash on my wrist. I was in deep thought, imagining what it would have been if my family was still with me; my parents retiring and spending their senior days traveling and my sister growing to a beautiful girl. I was so out of it that I did not even notice my front door opening. My uncle suddenly popped up and showed himself in my house. He found me inside my comfort room, bleeding and dazed. I wanted to be left alone but being a doctor, my uncle was automatically on my side tending my wounded wrist.

 

I thought that my uncle and his family would leave after tending to my needs but I was wrong. My uncle told me he was taking me with him to live in their town. I refused of course. I didn’t want him to end up like the rest of my family. I brought nothing but bad luck and tragedy to people around me. That’s why I was determined to isolate myself from the world and never let anyone in my life again. I didn’t mind being alone. I’d rather be lonely than get attached to people then mourn again when I lose them.

 

I screamed and thrashed when my uncle began packing my clothes. I didn’t want him and his family to suffer the misfortunes that came with me. I pushed them away, I glared at them and I eventually broke down in front of them. I thought my decision was final but seeing how hurt my Uncle Haejin was every time I pushed him away, I slowly relented. He’s my last family after all and seeing him sad crushed me.

 

And that’s how I found myself setting foot into a town far from where I lived. My uncle gave me my own room and I had no plan to leave my small secluded space. I could work with my stories anywhere as long as I have my laptop with me so I’d be fine.

 

I was a writer, by the way, a well-known writer under the pseudo name ‘Junior.’ I wrote sad and dramatic novels with no happy endings. I was surprised actually that many people buy my books. Writing was my way to vent out my frustrations, my fears, everything that has happened to me. Writing became my haven where I could pour out all my thought and emotions. I remained unknown to the public though. Just sending my manuscripts to the publishing house, therefore, leaving me to be known as the most mysterious writer.

 

I was immersed in typing a novel in my room. Minutes turned into hours as I typed away. I didn’t even bother to fulfill the need of my bladder coz I was so absorbed in continuing my book. I was however interrupted when someone knocked on my door.

 

“Jinyoung?” my uncle called then his head popped in my door. “Jin I’m so sorry but there’s someone who wants to meet you. It’s kinda needed,” he said cautiously. I didn’t know why but he seemed nervous and there’s a hint of fear in his shaky voice. What’s gotten into him?

 

“I don’t want to. Tell him or her to leave,” I told him without even batting an eye on him.

 

“I’m sorry Jin, I can’t. He’s an, uhm, he an official here in town. Yes, that’s it, an official, and he needs to meet you. Just for a brief moment Jin. I promise,” he pleaded. I wonder why he’s so anxious. Maybe it’s because the person was some official like he said?

 

When my uncle stepped away from the door, a guy about my age stepped in. Suddenly, my room was filled with the scent of strawberries and coffee? Okay, that’s weird.

 

I was still sitting on my bed and when I looked up at the guy I suddenly froze. His gaze was so intense and I couldn’t explain it but suddenly I felt a shiver ran down my spine so I averted my gaze from him. But of course, I have seen his prominent features. Blonde hair, he’s about my height, milky skin which I think was paler than mine, and a gorgeous face, probably the most gorgeous man I had laid my eyes on.

 

The guy entered my room. “Hi, you must be Jinyoung,” he started. His voice was raspy and very manly. It makes me feel… tingly? Wait. Why is my body reacting so much to him? This is really weird.

 

I look past him and realized that my uncle left. When did he even slip out of my room? Why didn’t I notice?

 

Of course, I stood up. I didn’t want to appear rude. “Yeah, I’m Jinyoung, and you are?” I asked, showing my usual stoic expression and pretending his very presence didn’t affect me.

 

“Mark Tuan, Alph – I mean Mayor of this town,” he supplied then he offered his hand for a handshake. I looked at it for a good five seconds before receiving it. And when his hand touched mine, I felt like there’s a jolt of electricity that shot throughout my arm. I flinched, naturally, but he held my hand firmly. I could feel him staring at me but I did not dare look up to meet his eyes. Something tells me I might melt into a puddle when I do.

 

“Nice to meet you, Jinyoung. Sorry to disturb you but I need to know every person that comes into my town,” he explained and smiled before he let go of my hand.

 

His smile! My heart did a flip when he freaking smiled at me! The way his teeth showed gave me a glimpse of those canines that seriously reminds me of a puppy!

 

A smile was about to break on my lips but I caught myself and cleared my throat instead. I focused on maintaining my blank expression. “It’s okay. It’s nice to meet you too,” I politely replied.

 

He didn’t reply immediately. He just stood there, eyeing me like a predator observing his prey. I could feel a dominating aura surrounding him like wanting me to submit to him. I felt like I was being pulled closer. I was bothered by the sudden feeling so I took a step back.

 

“I hope you like it here. This area might be a bit remote from the city you are used too but there are a lot of interesting things here. Please feel free to roam around the town. I assure you, you’re safe here and nobody will bother you,” he said and I somewhat believed him when he said I’m safe here.

 

I was about to say something but a small drunk-like toddler came wobbling inside my room.

 

“Daaaaddy!” the cute little guy said, wrapping his tiny arms around Mr. Mayor’s leg. He picked him up, much to the kid’s delight. He giggled and hugged his daddy.

 

Mr. Mayor kissed the kid’s cheek. “Hey there buddy, I thought you were with uncle Jaebum?” Mark cooed.

 

Is he the kid’s dad? I suddenly felt a pang of jealousy when I think of him already married. Why the heck do I feel that way?

 

“Want daddy,” the kid simply said. Then he noticed me. “Pwetty!” he cutely screamed and he reached for me. I looked at Mark, sending a silent SOS. Thankfully he understood my dilemma.

 

“C’mon sweety, I think we have delayed Jinyoung with whatever he’s working,” he told his son. The kid looked really disappointed as he curled his arms to his chest. Mark then turned back to me. “We’ll take our leave,” he said. “Thank you for your time and it was nice meeting you, Jinyoung. See you around.”

 

The cute little angel pouted and sulked into Mark’s neck. “Bye bye,” he sadly bid goodbye and Mark also hesitantly left. When my door shut behind them I let myself fall on my bed.

 

“What the hell just happened?”