Chap19: Cursed

Fixing My Broken Mate

First, I have edited the previous chapters. Especially those cringy moments. Embarrassment washed over me after re-reading all the chapters. What was I thinking then? lol 

And finally! Here's the update you've been waiting for :)

 


 

Jinyoung's POV

 

"You're such a good kid, Jinyoung-ah!" My grandmother beamed. She patted my head and smiled lovingly at me.

 

"Of course he is! He's taken it from me!" Grandpa proudly said, pointing at himself. "And Jinyoung will become a kind, talented, gorgeous man like Grandpa!" he boasted.

 

Grandma snorted. "You? Oh please, you are none of those," Grandma retorted, earning a glare from the old man. "But since Jinyoung has been a good boy, Jinyoung deserves presents!"

 

"Really? I get presents?!" I asked, excited.

 

"Of course sweetheart, we'll buy you anything you want!"

 

Suddenly my grandparents' smiles faded. The images turned foggy.

 

I blinked, once, twice.

 

Then I saw them on the floor, beside me. Their clothes are stained with blood, their faces in pain. There was a pool of blood on the floor beside them. I looked at my hands, there was blood, their blood!

 

"Nooo! Grandpa! Grandma! Don't leave me!" I screamed. I tried to reach for them, but their images were drifting farther away.

 

Suddenly there was a blinding light.

 

I closed my eyes and when I opened them again, I was inside our car. I looked in front, and my mom and dad were there. Dad was driving and mom was in the front passenger seat. They were singing. Mom was looking at my dad as she sings. There were sparkles in her eyes, full of love for my dad. Then she turned to me.

 

"Come on Jinyoung ah, sing with us!" she said.

 

"I love you baby, and if it's quite alright, I need you baby, to warm my lonely nights~" they sang together.

 

They were so happy, so in love. I was so absorbed watching them sing. It's been a long time since I heard their voices. It's been a long time since I saw their faces this close, this happy.

 

Then they were screaming.

 

Suddenly they were in flames. Their bodies became slack in their seats. Gone were their smiles and were replaced by bloody faces.

 

"Mom! Dad! No, stop! Help!" I cried, looking out the window to find nothing but void.

 

"No, don't die! Don't leave me!"

 

I tried to touch my mom. I don't care if she was in flames. I want to save her. But the moment my hands touched the flame, they turned to ashes.

 

My eyes widened. Tears were streaming down my face.

 

Then suddenly the wind blew, it took the ashes away with it.

 

"No... no, you can't do this! You can't leave me!" I cried, grabbing desperately in the air.

 

Then the scene shifted again.

 

I was standing in the middle of the road. The place was familiar. I was in our neighborhood. I heard a giggle and right there in front of me was my sister.

 

"Lily," I whispered disbelievingly.

 

She was dressed in her favorite yellow dress, and her favorite white shoes, both have pretty ribbons in them. Her hair was tucked behind her ears and the wind was blowing on it lightly. She was jumping around, giggling. Then she turned around and beamed at me. "Oppa, you know I love you, right?" she said.

 

I was frozen in my spot. My tears were still flowing unstoppably.

 

"Jinyoung oppa is the best in the whooole world!" She said, smiling wide. She giggled, her voice sounding like an angel to my ears. She turned around and skipped, she was getting far ahead of me.

 

"Lily wait!" I called. "Wait for me!"

 

She reached the crossroad then looked back to me again, still smiling.

 

"Oppa, always remember that I love you, okay? We love you so much!"

 

Then she crossed the road. I tried to run after her but the cars suddenly passed.

 

When the road was clear again, she was gone.

 

I shut my eyes tightly, blinking back the tears. Being back in our house brought a lot of memories to me. Flashbacks after flashbacks, both happy memories and those I wish to forget.

 

I was curled up on the sofa inside our living room, looking at dusty pictures and faded furniture that reminded me so much of my past. This house used to be my haven but it also turned into my worst prison. I could hear my family's laughter echoing in the walls –both a melody and torture to my ears.

 

I know I shouldn't be here. I promised Mark I'll let go of my past and stop blaming myself. But how can I not? Tragedy is happening again, unfolding in front of me. All the things happening in the pack, bloodshed, and hurt members of his pack were my fault. How can I stay there and watch them suffer because of me?

 

I knew from the start that this was going to happen. I am cursed. I bring nothing but tragedy. I should have stayed here in my prison, away from all the people. I shouldn't have let my walls crumble and let people in.

 

And now there's life growing inside me. I don't want to think about what misfortunes I would give to this baby. This baby does not deserve a cursed life like mine. But what do I do?

 

"I love you Jinyoung ah."

 

It was Mark's voice. I whipped my head around, there was no one. Fresh tears fell on my face. "I love you too Mark. But I can't bear to see you suffer," I cried.

 

I have to put an end to all this. I need to get away, far away from everyone else to a place where I could be alone again.

 

"Jinyoung,"

 

Mark's voice was ringing in my ears. I know he'd be mad, devastated, but he's a strong man. He'll be able to move on, forget about me. I'd rather he hate me than die because of me.

 

"You don't deserve this Mark. You don't deserve a cursed person like me."

 

-o0o-

 

Mark's POV

 

*Alpha slow down! We can't keep up and you might crash!* Jaebum scolded through the link.

 

Jinyoung.

 

All I could think of was Jinyoung.

 

Why did he do this? Why did he run away? Did I do something to upset him?

 

"Mark, slow down, we're almost there," Haejin hyung said.

 

When I returned to my pack and found Jinyoung gone, Haejin hyung got into my car and said he might know where Jinyoung was. Jaebum and another tracker from the pack were following the car I and Heajin hyung were driving.

 

At first, I wanted to check the lake and see if Jinyoung was there. But Haejin hyung said he already went there and there was no trace of Jinyoung's scent around the area. He told me that there was only one place Jinyoung must have gone to. His parents' house.

 

"There! Down that road then to your left, that's their house," Haejin hyung instructed.

 

Please let him be here.

 

I pulled up my car in front of a two-story house. Shortly after Jaebum did the same and hurriedly followed me into the doorstep.

 

The house was big but it looked pretty abandoned. The lawn was not mowed, the bushes were thick and the windows of the house were dirty.

 

As soon as I neared the door, I could smell Jinyoung's scent.

 

"He's here! His scent, I can smell it here!" I said.

 

Without waiting for Haejin hyung to grab his keys, I kicked the door open. I did not care if I was breaking private property. I need to find Jinyoung.

 

"Jinyoung!" I called. The rest of my companions got inside the house too.

 

"Mark," Haejin hyung called, he pointed at the living room and I saw Jinyoung's luggage beside the sofa. On top of it were Jinyoung's passport and a plane ticket. There were pamphlets and printed information about houses and apartments too.

 

"Jaebum, search upstairs, see if he's in one of the rooms," I told Jaebum. Haejin hyung searched the garage, I went to search in the living room and kitchen while our tracker went to check the backyard.

 

"His room is empty! He's not in the other rooms too!" Jaebum shouted from upstairs.

 

"The garage is empty too!" said Haejin hyung.

 

, Jinyoung. Where the hell are you?

 

*Alpha! I caught his scent! He went out, I can smell his scent going down the street!* our tracker said through the pack link.

 

The three of us hurried outside. It was almost dark and it was getting chilly. We found our tracker further down the street, trying his best not to lose Jinyoung's scent.

 

"Haejin hyung, where does this road leads?" Jaebum asked.

 

"Mark, he went to the cemetery! This road leads to the cemetery!" Haejin hyung said then all four of us sprinted down the road. We ran as fast as we could, ignoring the strange looks we got from the residents we passed by.

 

Not long after we arrived at the entrance to a huge cemetery. First-time visitors would think it was a park rather than a graveyard. There were tall trees with benches around them, beautiful landscapes, and colorful flowers around. The only gave away was the grey headstones on the wide grassy field. Some have fresh flowers and candles on them, some looked like no one visited them for a long time.

 

"His family's tombs are on the farthest south," Haejin hyung said.

 

I ran faster.

 

I ran way ahead of them.

 

He's close. His scent was getting stronger. And then...

 

Jinyoung.

 

I saw him kneeling on the grass in front of five gravestones with his family's names. He was wearing one of his oversized hoodies to hide his stomach. He was crying, I could hear him sobbing his heart out.

 

Before I could even call out his name, he turned his head around as if knowing I was near. He was surprised to see me. I wanted to embrace him but he quickly told me to stop.

 

"Don't! P-please, Mark. Why are you... I-I can't..." he sobbed.

 

"Jinyoung, please. Why did you run away? What happened?" Why did you leave me?

 

"You shouldn't have followed me!" He sobbed, tears kept falling from his eyes.

 

It pained me to see him so broken and conflicted. His face was pale, his eyes were swollen. He must have been crying for a while.

 

"Jinyoung don't this," I pleaded.

 

"No! You don't understand! C-can't you see, Mark? This," he gestured towards the graves, "they died because of me! Everywhere I go, whoever I am with, tragedy follows me!"

 

"Jinyoung..."

 

"I don't want you, or Luke, or my uncle's family to end like this. I can't, Mark. I-I don't want to lose more people I love," he cried bitterly.

 

By this time the rest of my companions have caught up to where we were. Darkness also engulfed the surroundings, save for the lampposts that scattered around the cemetery.

 

Jinyoung cried harder when he saw his uncle. "Jinyoung, don't do this please. Let's talk," Haejin hyung pleaded. He wanted to approach him but he too was stopped by Jinyoung.

 

Jinyoung was just standing there, head hanging low, sobbing. I walked towards him, slowly approaching. As soon as he was within my reach, I pulled him close and hugged him tightly.

 

"Don't! Just go! I don't want you here!" He was hitting me, and pushing me away. He struggled to get away but I was stronger.

 

"I want to be here, Jinyoung. Beside you is where I want to be," I told him. I wasn't able to hold my tears. They fell the moment I finally held him. "Can't you feel it? Haven't I showed you enough?"

 

Jinyoung sobbed harder.

 

"All the bad things that's happening in you pack right now is all because of me, isn't it?" He asked. His teary eyes looked up to me, searching my surprised ones. "You don't have to lie Mark. I know. You and your pack are better off without me," he said sadly.

 

I cupped his face and brushed his tears away with my thumbs. "Are you sure about that, Jinyoung-ah? Is that really what you want?"

 

"It's the right thing to do," he said.

 

"Is it really? Have you ever considered what I feel?" I asked him, he avoided my gaze. "Jinyoung, I waited for you all my life. I spent years looking for you, waiting for the day I'd met you. Haven't I told you how you finally completed me? Haven't I showed you how much I love you?"

 

Jinyoung closed his eyes. His tears are still falling and my hands still caressing his face.

 

"That war will not stop even if you leave. It is bound to happen. But what's the use of me fighting that war when the reason why I live is gone?" I told him.

 

"I can't lose you too, Mark," he said, finally meeting my eyes again.

 

"Then stop pushing me away," I said. "I need you beside me. I need you and our baby."

 

"I don't want to see you die because of me." He caressed my hand that was still on his face. His eyes were filled with fear and sadness.

 

"Losing you is worse than death Jinyoung-ah."

 

This time Jinyoung did not struggle to push me away when I embraced him. He melted in my arms and I let him cry. I cried with him. Fresh tears spilled from our eyes as we let ourselves feel each other's warmth.

 


 

I honestly don't know how to end this fic. I often have a hard time thinking of the best ending, lol.