Chap18: The General's Son

Fixing My Broken Mate

Mark’s POV

 

The adrenalin was still running through my system even after my family has left. They came rushing after hearing the news of rogues suddenly attacking the pack. I got wounded after protecting a pup that got separated from her parents when the fight erupted. I was bitten on my shoulder and got clawed on the back. The pain was bearable for me due to the years of training and going through battles. What got me really worried was the fact that Jinyoung can feel my pain. I was beyond livid when I heard Jinyoung’s painful scream. I focused on nothing but killing all the rogues and a few of Leon’s members who led the attack. I need to hurry and get to my mate. Mercilessly snapping their necks and clawing their flesh, I go after one enemy to the other until what’s left in front of me was bloodied bodies, dead bodies of those who dared crossed my territory.

 

When the enemies were finally taken care of, I gave Jaebum the task to take care of the remnants of the battle and dashed back to the pack house. I didn’t care if I was bloodstained and injured. I ran as fast as I could hoping my family was safe. I found Jinyoung lying unconscious in the basement. He was held by his Aunt who was crying, trying to wake Jinyoung. Luke was wailing and so was Josh. They cried louder when they saw how bloody I was. Jinyoung’s Aunt must have linked his husband about Jinyoung coz only seconds after I arrived, Youngjae came barreling in, his medkit in hand, and even he was bloodstained, probably from attending injured warriors in the clinic. Youngjae, with the help of Bambam, made sure Jinyoung was fine while Yugyeom forced me away to patch up my wounds.

 

When I was sure Jinyoung was fine and resting in our room, I called a meeting in my office. I wanted to know how the hell did those bastards got inside the territory. Also, I wanted a detailed report of the damages. Hopefully, no one died from my pack.

 

It was when the meeting was almost over when my dad came in. Not even bothering to knock, he just pushed past the door with a forceful swing. He was on my side the next moment, assessing the damage on my back and shoulder. Then my mom arrived shortly after him, she too was frantic about the incident. Even I was still in struggle to contain the adrenalin, the anger, and the rapid pace of events. I couldn’t seem to focus on anything due to the shock of their ambush.

 

I had a bit of an argument with my dad too. He was pointing out how it was my fault this has happened. I see his point and I admit that I am to blame for this but I only did what I should protect my mate from ill words of that , Yura. But this isn’t entirely my fault! It was unfair of him to blame me when in the first place Leon had his eyes set on my position and territory ever since before. Avenging her daughter from my harsh actions was merely a plus factor in his desire to win over me.

 

Thankfully no one died from my pack but many warriors were severely injured. The attack caught us completely off guard and they came from the deepest part of our forest. I was told that the team burning up the pile of dead rogues found a bottle of unidentified liquid that smelled so strong it hurts your nose the more you try to inhale it. Jaebum and Jackson who surveyed the forest reported that they too found identical bottles scattered in the bushes. I immediately sent a sample to Haejin hyung so he can try to identify it and another to the alliance, hoping they know what it was.

 

It was only when everybody left that I finally got the chance to see how Jinyoung’s doing. I found him sitting on the bed, looking blankly outside through our window. “Jinyoung-ah,” I called. I felt bad that I wasn’t even aware that he was awake. I usually could feel his presence, know when he’s awake or not. But my senses were still all over the place and I felt sorry for not attending him sooner.

 

“Hyung,” he called back, looking at me. He frowned when he saw the bandage sticking out of my shirt from my shoulder. I sat beside him, kissing his forehead and pulling him in a tight embrace. “You’re injured. I… I felt your pain,” he worriedly stated.

 

“I know and I am sorry for worrying you. I am fine now and the wounds have completely healed so you don’t have to worry anymore,” I told him as I played with his soft locks, something I often do to make him relax. “How are you feeling though?” I asked.

 

“I’m okay now that I know you’re okay,” he replied. “Baby’s okay too but we’re hungry,” he added. I chuckled and brought my hand on his swollen stomach, feeling our pup. I felt relieved knowing that they were both fine.

 

“Alright, I’ll link your aunt to bring the food. Earlier she said she’ll make you soup for when you wake up. I’ll tell her to bring Luke too, he has been staying with her.” Jinyoung nodded, not saying anything but he tightened his arms around my middle. “Are you okay?” I asked. I pushed his shoulders a little so I can see his face but he refused to detach his head on the crook of my neck. I was worried he was uncomfortable since we were sitting beside each other while hugging.

 

“How’s your pack? Did… did anyone… did anyone die?” he asked instead. His breath hitting my collarbones.

 

“Fortunately no one died. Many are injured though and I have to go see them after we eat,” I told him. Again he didn’t say anything, he just nodded. “Are you sure you’re okay?” I asked again. Instead of answering, he only hugged me tighter.

 

“Just stay like this for a while.”

 

-oOo-

 

The next day I was busy assessing the damage in the pack and repairing them. I was glad Bambam and Yugyeom were there to help me with repairing. They were in charge of the construction company of the family anyway so I entrusted them with the job. Jaebum and I were to leave for a meeting with the alliance and I am a bit uneasy with the thought of leaving the pack. However, I couldn’t postpone the meeting since we needed to strategize and plan on how to finally bring Leon’s pack down. They have made enough damage with their neighboring packs, especially on my pack. I refuse to let that go on.

 

I brought Luke with me to the city. My parents and I agreed that it would be safer for him if he stayed with them for the time being. I wanted to bring Jinyoung too. I didn’t want to leave him alone while I was away so I figured he could stay with my siblings while I’m at the meeting. He refused though. He said the travel would tire him a lot and that he wanted to stay home and finish his current manuscripts. I didn’t press on it since the trip was indeed long.

 

Jaebum and I arrived early so I was able to talk to some of the Alphas about the attack. They were relieved that no one died from my pack and everyone agreed that this has to end. Before the meeting started, we were surprised when one of the Alphas, Alpha Nicholas, brought a wolf, a member of Leon’s pack. We can scent him so when he entered the room all of us were in stance, snarling and ready to attack. My eyes zeroed on the said wolf. He was wearing dirty clothes, his body was covered with dirt too and his hair was messy. He looked like he barely ate judging from his exposed thinly figure. The said wolf was terrified and immediately bowed and bared his neck, showing his submission to us. We were confused and the Alpha who brought the said wolf took our moment of confusion to step in front of the boy.

 

“Calm down fellow Alphas. This wolf doesn’t mean any harm. As a matter of fact he’s here to seek our help,” he announced. We stepped back but we were on guard. We motioned for Alpha Nicholas to continue explaining but the latter stepped aside, showing the scared wolf once again. “Tell them your story young man. Don’t be afraid, they won’t harm you,” he encouraged him.

 

The said wolf rose to his feet, head still hanging low. “I am Jeon Jungkook, only son of the general of Blood Moon Pack,” (A/N: It’s the name of Leon’s pack. I’m not sure if I made a name for them before though. Lol. And hell yeah, I totally ship Jungkook & Yugyeom soo.. ;) ) he introduced himself. Silence then followed and we all waited. We saw him clench both his fists on his sides and his shoulders trembled. Everyone was on high alert thinking he was about to shift and attack but our vigilance was replaced with shock when the boy raised his head. He was silently weeping. Tears were running down his face as he looked up to us. “Please, I beg you, please help my pack!” he cried before he fell on his knees crying.

 

I was even more confused, the other Alphas were just as confused as I was. Wanting to know more and to clarify the story, I stood up and approached him. “Your pack is attacking ours, damaging our territory and harming our families. Tell me, why should we help you?” I asked him, calm as I could be. I don’t want to scare him more than he already was.

 

“No, no you’re wrong! He’s killing us too! My father, our Alpha mercilessly killed him when he refused to cooperate with the plan of conquering your pack!” He revealed, looking around us, convincing us. “Many opposed Alpha Leon and most of them died, the rest became slaves. He’s forcing our families to work and serve the rogues else he will kill us! That’s why he and Yura turned to the rogues for alliance because my dad refused and was killed. You have to help us! I beg you, please help us!” he cried, still kneeling on the floor as he wept. “The rogues are brutal. They don’t care if you’re a girl, a child or an elderly. They kick us around and treat us harshly. They don’t even care for each other. They fought among themselves a lot. The rogues were only gathered together because Alpha Leon promised them a big amount of money in return for their service,” he continued relating his side of the story.

 

“How did you escape then? How can I be sure you weren’t sent to give us false information or to spy?” I asked him. Though my resolve was slowly crumbling inside as I witness how pained the young wolf was, I still need to make sure he was telling the truth.

 

Jungkook wiped his tears with his dirty clothes. His tears caused the dirt on his face to smudge even more but the boy didn’t care about his looks. He was desperate and determined.

 

“After being forced to work for the day, the remaining members of our pack are being imprisoned on the cellar of the pack house. They do not feed us so we steal food during the day if we have the chance and share it with the others later the night. Three nights ago two more wolves and I were on the lookout while the others were sleeping. The rogues guarding the cellar were knockout cold and I saw the chance to escape. I promised my companions I will seek help and return to save them. Since then I have been struggling to escape. I stole a bottle of that liquid they use to hide their scents and carefully treaded through the mountains. I was wandering for two days until I came across Alpha Nicholas’ territory this morning. I beg him to help and he brought me here. Please, I am the only hope my pack have left,” he unwaveringly answered. I must say the boy had courage. It isn’t easy to speak in front of an Alpha and there he was, relating his story in front of nine Alphas of the alliance who are in rage with his pack’s leader.

 

“I know it’s hard to believe, I know you have doubts,” Jungkook continued, “but I have to try and talk to you. I know the chance is low for you to believe me since I am from the enemy’s territory but I rather die trying for the remaining members of my pack rather than escape on my own and leave them to perish in Alpha Leon’s hands.” Once again he lowered his head and cried bitterly.

 

I looked back to my fellow Alphas. They were looking at me and we exchanged knowing gazes. They’re letting me decide the young wolf’s fate. It was my pack they were against in the first place so I must say it was up to me whether to believe him or not. I returned my gaze to the still crying wolf on the floor. I crouched down and allowed my sharp claws to grow.

 

*Mark! Are you…* Jaebum’s panicked voice ringed in our link but I paid him no attention. I held the young wolf’s chin with my other hand and brought my claws on his neck. I looked at him dead in the eyes and said, “I can kill you right now if I want to.” I pressed my claw a bit more on his neck. To my surprise, he sadly smiled despite the tears still spilling in his eyes and bared his neck even more.

 

“Go ahead Alpha,” he spoke. He was staring straight at me. His gaze was firm and I see nothing but sorrow. “I am not scared of death for I have nothing to lose. He killed my parents. I have no one left. Death is rather good because I refuse to return to my pack without the help they needed. But before you kill me, I beg you to hurry and defeat Alpha Leon. His death will set my pack free.” After speaking he closed his eyes as if waiting for death to come.

 

I watched him closely, I think he’s as young as Bambam and Yugyeom. I admire his courage and sympathy for his fellow pack members and the fact that he was willing to give his life to prove his words was more than enough assurance that the boy was genuine with every single word he said. I sighed and I couldn’t help but to smile and feel proud of this brave warrior.

 

“You are definitely a son of a general,” I told him admiringly. I willed my claws to disappear and patted his head. He opened his eyes and blinked disbelievingly at me a few times. “Come sit with us, and can someone give this boy some food,” I instructed. Jaebum rose from his chair with a grin on his face.

 

“I really thought you were gonna kill him! You almost gave me a heart attack,” Jaebum whispered as he passed beside me then proceeded to the door to get the food I requested. When I looked back I saw the other Alphas smiling at me. I guess I made the right choice then. When I looked down, I saw Jungkook crying again. I grabbed a chair and sat beside him.

 

“Hey kid, enough crying. We promise to rescue your pack so you don’t have to worry anymore,” I told him.

 

“I thought… I thought you were going to kill me!” he cried. To my surprise, he leaped from his chair and hugged me. I was dumbfounded, the other Alphas however remained silent and watched the two of us.

 

“Alpha Nicholas was right,” Jungkook resumed. “You are indeed kind. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I promise to tell everything I know. I promise to help!” He happily offered. I smiled and pet his hair.

 

“You could have escaped and forget everything and everyone else but you didn’t. To expose yourself in front of the enemy of your pack is dangerous yet you are here. To weep and ask help for your people was a brave and noble thing to do for someone as young as you are. Your father raised you well. Your father raised a strong and an honorable warrior. I’m sure he’s proud of you kid,” I honestly told him. He broke into a broad smile and wiped his tears.

 

-oOo-

 

Turned out the meeting took several hours but we finally came up with a concrete plan. Jungkook was a big help. He told us secret routes and entrances on Leon’s territory and he told us the routine of the rogues on daily basis. He also managed to give details about Leon’s plan from the bits of information he overheard. They were not enough but they gave us ideas so we were thankful.

 

After the meeting, I decided to take Jungkook home with me. I don’t doubt the kid but I need to keep him beside me. I was worried the rogues would scent him and follow him and I wanted to protect him. His pack members need him. As he said, he was their only hope and I am willing to take him under my wing to keep him safe for them.

 

First, we drop by the mall to buy Jungkook some clothes even though he protested and refused then proceeded to my sister’s house so Jungkook could shower and clean himself. I showered too since that smelly liquid Jungkook used to hide his scent was rubbed on my shirt when he hugged me. After that, I officially introduced him to my family and I was sure Tammy’s husband had already told them his story. My parents were happy with the decision I made. We head straight home after. I felt happy and relieved as we drove because we are finally gonna put an end to this war. I will not forgive Leon for what he did to my pack and especially to his pack. He was their Alpha! But because of greed for power, he turned his back on them, killed them, and tortured them every day. He isn’t worthy of his title and I promise to kill him.

 

As the car moved, I kept thinking of Jinyoung. I was looking forward to going home to my mate. I miss him. It has been a tiring day and I wanted nothing more but to embrace him. When all of this is over, I can finally wed him. We have mated and we have a pup cooking in his tummy but of course, I still want to hold a wedding ceremony for us. He deserves it. I smiled as I imagine him walking down the aisle with our pup in his tummy, sticking out of his tux. It’ll be a beautiful sight.

 

Nearing the borders of our territory, I can feel that unsettling feeling in my gut again. It made me anxious. “Something’s not right,” I told Jaebum. “Jinyoung. I can’t feel Jinyoung’s presence.”

 

“Mark! Thank god you’re here!” Haejin hyung hailed. We were barely at the entrance to the pack when he ran to our car.

 

“What’s wrong? Why is everyone out of their homes? Was there another attack? Where’s Jinyoung?” I asked quickly as I got out of the car. I noticed my pack members were outside, they were talking and they seem anxious and worried.

 

“Mark, Jinyoung’s gone!” he related. Haejin hyung was sweaty and he looked like he was about to break down.

 

“What?” That can’t be right. I must have heard him wrong. “What did you say?” I asked again.

 

 

“He took my car and told the guards of the gate that I sent him to do an errand but I didn’t! Jinyoung’s gone, Mark!”