Perfect Illusions

Ablaze
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chae presses the first key. As soon as she starts playing, Yoongi feels the whole room change. He knows something is wrong. He looks around. Everyone still looks like themselves, they're still eating and acting as before.

 

Except one person. 

 

Jimin's eyes lose focus and now he's blankly staring at the stage. 

 

"Jimin?" Yoongi pokes his arm. The latter does not respond. "Jimin!"

 

Yoongi looks around again, this time he can finally see it. The people—they aren't people. With the same clothes, the same hair, the same gestures, the same smiles, everything remains the same.

 

Except that they are now mannequins.

 

And some are plain skeletons. 

 

Yoongi gasps, horrified. He turns to Jimin again. The other boy now has a smile on his face, his eyes dreamy with whatever vision Chae might be imposing on him with her music. 

 

Yoongi turns to the stage. He clenches his fists so tight he can feel his nails digging his palms to blood. Yet he doesn't care; his anger makes everything else irrelevant. 

 

"Chae! What are you doing?"

 

Chaeyong continues playing, ignoring Yoongi. Her music starts to make sense somehow. Yoongi sees himself back in his castle, surrounding him are his family. He sees his father at the head of the table, sipping his favorite wine. How does Yoongi know it's his father's favorite? It's because his mother is sitting there by his side, waiting to pour more for him. 

 

"Have a toast with me," his father requests. Yoongi slips into one of the empty chairs. With a soft smile, his mother refuses. 

 

"You know I can't. I'm carrying Yoongi."

 

Yoongi chokes back a sob as he watches his mother caressing her tummy. Soon his father leans in and places a hand there, too. 

 

"Yoongi yah, when you grow up I want to take you to the battlefield with me."

 

His mother giggles and playfully slaps his hand away. "What kind of wish is that to tell an unborn child!"

 

"I just want him to know."

 

"You can tell him that once he's old enough."

 

"I'm afraid I don't have the time."

 

"Gihoon," his mother calls. "I'm going to wipe the face of the earth if that means I can get you back home safely."

 

"Thank you, my queen. I appreciate your love," his father pla

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter