043

DAMNED

Chapter 43.

Mark ran into the woods. The sun was setting beyond the clouds, and it was getting darker. Rain would come soon, he could see it in the way the clouds turned such a deep grey. He tried following the edge of the woods, to see which gate he had been the closest to. Soldiers were wandering near the gates, which forced him further into the woods to avoid being caught.

As he walked by himself, he felt hopelessness sneak up upon him; starting at the bottom of his stomach and creeping up into his chest, weighing him down. He did not know if the others had made it out. What if he had abandoned them? Mark tried hard not to let it swallow him up.

At some point Mark turned away from the walls. He had almost walked straight into the arms of two soldiers. He hadn’t heard their voices, too caught up in his mind. The memory of holding Haechan’s hand in front of that statue in the middle of the square kept replaying. Other memories followed along, like when they almost kissed on one of the bridges in the 7th Clan. When Yuta interrupted them and stopped something that found them again. Something that couldn’t be stopped.

Mark loved Haechan. He had really fallen in love and as he let that fact sink in, he looked up when a voice spoke. It was so close. Mark dove beneath a branch and glued himself to the tree, when two soldiers came around the bend of the path and walked past him.

  “I am not kidding, Ron,” a man said in a defending tone. “They have been seen outside of the Land of the Damned. Even with the Commander telling them to go back to their place.”

  “I have heard that the decease is spreading again. It’s an epidemic, it is not just hitting the weak it goes for the strong too.” This voice belong to someone younger and of course, to Mark’s wonderful luck, they stopped close to him. Their conversation so important that they couldn’t walk on the same time.

  “It must be because of them wandering around and spreading it. I heard it spreads by bite and you are sure to wake up if you’re bitten.”

Ron seemed to not have whatever the other man was starting. “Clearly it is airborne or maybe it is in our water, people in the 4th are trying to test the river coming from the mountains.”

  “Soldiers by the borders meet them too. The clans who aren’t under the commander are dying out. We shouldn’t just watch the Land of the Damned but also the borders around us. An attack from the outside could happen.”

  “I wonder if the South has the same issue as us. If it’s different there or just the same.” Ron spoke in a quiet voice. The other man started talking again, but they began walking down the path and Mark could finally breathe again.

  “The South? When do you ever hear from them? It is only rumors that the 3rd Clan spreads because they claim to travel there. As if. It is too damn dry in the South, nobody could live there, and even if…”

Mark exhaled deeply and closed his eyes.
 

 

 

 

Mark decided to stray off the path. Hoping he wouldn’t meet more guards. As he walked and darkness slowly embraced the world around him, he found himself muttering beneath his breath how being Damned didn’t give you a sense of direction, because he was pretty sure he was walking the wrong way. Mark froze in his step and glanced up. He could crawl into a tree and locate himself, then change direction if needed. It most certainly was; he hadn’t even been near their post close to the Fallen City. Mark was also sure he had luckily avoided a village lying close to the city. Not everyone was safe behind the walls. Mark could hear the buzzing of life and immediately went in the opposite direction.

Mark was swallowed up by his mind again; going through thoughts and theories as he walked through the bottom of the woods. The world had changed, he knew that after all the days of listening to the only professor in his clan talk about what they knew of the world. How the world grew and then plummeted when humanity decided to end it. Some clans knew more than others, of course the 4th relied a lot on knowledge of the past, and it was great because they taught it to everyone else, and so nobody lived without knowing what had lived before them. Not knowing would lead on a path of destruction. They could not repeat the same mistakes again. They must not.

 

 

Mark heard the tiniest twig snap and it brought him back to reality. It was too late when he looked up. A pair of red eyes were right in front of him and an elbow knocked into the side of his head. He fell to the ground, his knees giving in and his head throbbing. It was dark now, but it didn’t make him helpless. His sight allowed him to see who was crouching down in front of him and he felt horror strike at him when he looked up.

 

 

It was Kun.

 

 

 

 

 

  “You have nerve.” Kun spoke. “Why is our leader Mark out here all by himself? Hmm? Were you abandoned? Did they throw you off the team after killing Jaehyun? I wanted to stay and watch but I had more important things.” While Kun was talking Mark was holding onto his head, it was pulsing with pain and he tried to focus on getting up, yet all he could do was listen to Kun. The other had hit the perfect spot.

  “Can you please… stop talking?” Mark winced and Kun’s lips formed a thin line. He gave Mark a look. Mark closed his eyes, yet then he felt Kun grab onto his collar and yank him up. Mark found his footing and managed to push Kun off him. The other unsheathed his sword and Mark looked up when a blade found its way to his throat.

  “Kun.”

A deep voice called out in the darkness and Mark looked behind Kun. A pair of emerald green eyes were looking at them, he looked rather bored, or was it weakness?

Mark’s voice was small when he spoke. “Lord Win?”


The taller nodded his head once. “Long time since we spoke, Mark. Glad you could come say goodbye.”


Mark eyed Kun. The other still had his sword at Mark’s neck. “Goodbye?”


  “We’re leaving.” Kun said through gritted teeth. “You can’t stop us.” He seethed and Mark shifted his gaze to Lord Win.

 

 

Lord Win eyed the bushes and the he neared Kun and Mark. One of his pale hands touched Kun’s shoulder so gently it barely came in contact with Kun’s jacket. “He’s alone.” Lord Win observed and his eyes travelled down Mark’s body and up to his face. “How long have you been wandering?”

Kun frowned and searched Mark’s body for clues too. Mark sighed. “All day.” He admitted. “But don’t mind me I will continue my journey.”

Lord Win shook his head just the slightest, and Mark bit down on his bottom lip, looking up at the dark sky. He wasn’t getting out of there. Kun lowered his blade, but kept it out. Mark glared at the other but as Lord Win turned around and started walking, Mark followed. Kun walked right behind Mark, not taking his eyes off the Blue Eyed Damned.

 

 

 

 

 

Mark stared at the small fire they had going. He was seated on a fallen tree, and in his hands he had grilled meat from, Mark guessed it was a bird. Lord Win and Kun were on the other side of the fire, their eyes reflecting the orange flames and therefore not glowing as bright as they had done in the shadows. Mark enjoyed the warmth the fire gave. Even with his new, cooler body temperature, he had started to feel cold.

Mark eyed the food and looked up at Lord Win. “How do I know it’s not poisoned?” He asked with a cocked brow and Kun rolled his eyes at the question.
Lord Win’s lips curled into a smile. His horns looked impressive as they were lit up by the flames. “I think we’re beyond the point of trying to kill each other.” He spoke with an amused grin, but he also seemed to be thinking. Kun looked annoyed.

  “If you don’t want to eat it then give it to me.” He snapped and Lord Win reached out a hand and placed it on Kun’s thigh. Mark was reminded of the diary and tried hard not to focus on the action, but his eyes had widened. Kun covered his face with his hand, but stopped nagging.

Lord Win smiled again, his eyes on Mark. “We can take a bite of it first if it would convince you.” He said with a hand reaching out for it.

Mark shook his head, already raising the meat to his lips. “I’m good.” He mumbled as he began eating. Lord Win exhaled deeply and slowly retreated his hand from Kun’s thigh to his own lap. Kun leaned forwards and rested his elbows on his thighs, watching Mark with a reading gaze. Mark was avoiding their eyes as he ate. In that moment he could only focus on how sweet the meat tasted on his tongue, and how needed it was. He had been running a lot and he needed the energy.

  “Where did you come from?” Lord Win asked after a while. “The city?”

Mark dropped the bones to the ground and wiped his hands in his pants. He was thinking if it was wise to share their plans with Lord Win, but somehow he sensed that Lord Win wasn’t trying to get power anymore. Now that Mark could see him in the light of the fire, he noticed how weak the other looked. His lips were pale and his eyes did not have the same spirit as they once had carried. Mark nodded and immediately thought of something else to divert them from asking questions. “Where are you going?” He asked the two. “Since you say you’re leaving?”

Lord Win hummed, but he looked like he accepted just the short reply of a nod. “West.” He said. “To the coast.”

Mark frowned. “But the coast is dangerous, from what I’ve heard. The sea has no mercy.”

Lord Win nodded in agreement. Kun was looking at him with an emotion Mark was surprised to recognize. “I always admired the view of the lake, but ever since I was first told about the sea, I have wanted to see it with my own eyes.” Lord Win’s eyes stared at the flames. “Now that I am free and bound to no destiny, I can do that.”

Mark looked at the other and then at the emotion Kun was portraying. They didn’t look free to Mark. They looked almost wistful. Then Mark realized it, why Lord Win was accepting and concord. They were out of time.

  “Purgatory.” Mark spoke the word carefully, and Lord Win dropped his gaze to the ground.

  “Yes.” He admitted with ease. “It’s holding onto me for longer periods of time now. Soon I won’t wake up.” He stated and pressed his lips into a thin line. “What power I had is gone.” He said with regret lacing his words. Mark remembered the diary again, and tried not to think of it. Of the horrors, Lord Win had done with his new strength.

Mark let silence embrace them and he leaned forward to prop his elbow on his leg and rest his chin in the palm of his hand. He took some time to think, one thing kept nagging him and he now had a solution, but was it one that could actually work? Mark wasn’t sure and so he tried to consider his options, but ended up going for what he had first thought of.

  “Are you familiar with accents?” He asked the two. Lord Win lifted his head, but it looked like that action exhausted him.

  “I have been a border soldier, Mark. I have heard all the accents of the clans close to the 1st Clan.” He explained and Mark nodded. Lord Win would know.

  “Have you heard an accent that… it sounds like… There are a lot of “a” sounds? Ma instead of my, A instead of I… oh and ya instead of you?” Mark tilted his head in confusion as he tried to recall Lucas’ accent.

Both Lord Win and Kun frowned, looking confused. “I’m not familiar with such an accent.” He said. “It’s not one belonging to any of our clans or the ones surrounding the 1st Clan.”

Kun seemed to be thinking hard before he spoke. “I have met an accent like that before… Somewhere…”

  “South.” Lord Win and Mark spoke on the same time. Kun glanced at the two of them. Mark covered his mouth in shock. Lord Win narrowed his eyes on the boy.

  “Did you meet someone with an accent like that in the city?” He asked with awe in his voice. Mark decided he could tell them. Therefore, he nodded.

  “Was he Damned?” Lord Win asked with interest. Mark shook his head and the two in front of him looked disappointed at the reply.

  “But… he found out I was.” Mark began and saw the two lift their gazes from the flames to him, both of horror but also wonder. “He didn’t tell. He even told me that blue suits me?”

Lord Win’s eyes grew wide and Kun was gawping. “Was he with a group?”

Mark shook his head. “He wasn’t. He was alone and the guards were chasing him. Clearly he wasn’t allowed inside by the guards.”

A silence embraced them again, but this time they were all thinking by themselves. Mark inhaled to speak but hesitated. This caught the attention of the two others. Then Mark gathered the courage to speak. “Can I make a request?” He asked the two of them and the two shared a gaze before nodding. “Would you mind changing course?” Mark noticed a smile grow on Lord Win’s lips as he spoke. “Can you go south and see what is going on down there?”

Kun looked interested and Lord Win seemed to regain what energy he had been missing.

  “After what you’ve put me through, or made me do… Can you do this one thing for me?” Lord Win reached out his hand and Kun took it in his own. “Go to the south and tell me what you figure out. I just sense something else is going on, not just the issue with the commander… but someone else is moving and it is going unnoticed.”

Kun grinned and Lord Win gave Mark a proud smile. “We owe you a favor.” He admitted. “You are wise, Mark. Even I didn’t consider the south.”

Kun sheathed his sword at last. “We will send a messenger with a letter, keep an eye out for it.”

Mark smiled, feeling so incredibly relieved. “Thank you.”

Lord Win stood. “I guess the sea can wait.” He pondered and Mark stood as well.

  “I’m sorry for asking this of you.” He said honestly. Whatever hatred he had felt for Lord Win… it was fading more and more, when he realized the
Lord’s situation. He was dying.


 

 

Even with being so close to the end of his days, he accepted Mark’s request to stray off his path and go to the south. Mark was extremely grateful.

  “Now go that way.” Kun pointed towards the woods. “You have already missed the camp. We will need to move immediately with the time we have left. Good luck with everything Mark.” Kun smiled and Mark was taken aback by the other’s kindness. Kun’s smile fell. “And I’m sorry too.”

Mark felt the pain of that day, but at least he knew Jaehyun was alive. Kun and Lord Win did not. Mark shook his head and looked through his bangs at the two Damned. Their eyes had soft glows. Kun’s eyes were red and Lord Win’s green.

  “Goodbye.” Mark said and backed out of the clearing in the direction of the camp. The light of the fire couldn’t reach far, and the shadows embraced him. Welcoming him to darkness.

Those two had been there when he first woke up. Kun had trained him to defend himself and Lord Win been the one to guide him. Even if it wasn’t in the direction Mark had wanted, he still had learned a lot from those two. His trust in them had been renewed and he sighed as he walked in the darkness. Rain started to fall, but Mark merely put up his hood.

 

 

 

He could not tell the rest of the group about this. This was his secret to keep until he knew more.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

This plot came to me when I was on my way home in the rain, so thank you rain for inspiring me.
ALSO THANK YOU ALL FOR THE COMMENTS!!! <33
I was so stunned by all the love for this story. So I tried to finish a chapter fast and update quickly! <3

I am starting in school this monday, but hopefully it won't distract me from writing, but inspire me even more! <3

Love,
Emma <3