014

DAMNED

Chapter 14.

 

Mark woke up to the sound of the wind. He inhaled deeply through his nose, stretching his limps that seemed to ache just the slightest, a reminder of Chenle’s vicious attacks. Mark pushed himself up and wiped his eyes. It was early dawn. The others would sleep much longer, Chenle and Jisung would wake up soon Mark guessed. Damned people didn’t sleep much.

He glanced around the cave, eyes looking and Chenle and Jisung sprawled out beside each other. Chenle’s leg was thrown over Jisung’s and Jisung’s hair was covering his face. Little light came into the cave. Taeyong had fallen asleep by the mouth of the cave, a blanket was sliding off his shoulders. Mark knew who had put it there.

He looked in the direction of the person who could’ve done that. Ten was sleeping besides Johnny, and to Mark’s surprise he saw that Johnny was turned away from the wall, an arm around Ten’s smaller body who was sleeping peacefully. Mark eyed Taeyong and then back at the two. He didn’t know why he hoped for them to change positions and then again maybe it would be good for Taeyong to see that. Then he would stop giving Ten those looks.


 

Mark looked down at his clenched fist and released it with a brow cocked in surprise. Maybe he needed to stop being so protective of Ten. Clearly the other could manage himself. Mark didn’t want to seem like he thought of Ten as weak.

 

Mark fiddled with some of the dried meat and bread they had saved and ate it silently. Thinking over his plans that he had made last night. Mark watched Jisung and Chenle sleep for a while. Focusing on the way their chests rose and fell, listening to Johnny’s snores and Ten’s soft breaths. It was calming, it made him even more sure of his plan.

Mark stood, he wanted to go stretch his legs, first he would wake Taeyong. Couldn’t leave this place unguarded.

His eyes glowed blue in the faint light, the curtains didn’t let much in. He crouched down in front of Taeyong, the other’s head was falling to the side. Mark reached out a hand and shook the other’s shoulder just the slightest. His muscles tensed, waiting for Taeyong to lash out, but Taeyong’s eyes stayed closed and his head still hung. Mark frowned. He tried again, this time doing it a little harder. “Taeyong!” He hissed but the other didn’t budge. Mark’s eyes widened. “…” He whispered and then he remembered Jaehyun and he put a hand behind Taeyong’s neck, watching the other’s full lips separate slightly. Mark put his free hand over them, the other’s breath was weak, almost not there. Mark slowly made the other lie down on his back. He heard Chenle turn around and it earned a grumble from Jisung. Mark ignored them, focusing on Taeyong’s features, putting his hand on the other’s chest. He felt his own and felt his own heart beat in a slow rhythm but Taeyong’s came only once in all the time he tried to feel his own. Mark curled the hand on Taeyong’s chest into a fist. He glanced over at Johnny and Ten who were still asleep. Jisung was kicking Chenle off of him still half-asleep and Chenle only pulled the other in a headlock with his eyes still closed. Mark had to do it before they opened their eyes and noticed. He raised his fist, put the index finger of his left hand just under the spot where he needed to hit. Then he forced his fist down hard.

The sound woke up everyone with a start. Johnny sprang away from Ten and cried out in pain when he had used his leg too much. Ten was already holding a dagger and Chenle and Jisung were up too. Mark felt like the second drew itself into minutes of him staring at Taeyong’s eyes and lips and then the other’s eyes opened and Mark gasped when Taeyong’s fingers curled around his collar. The other’s lips had drawn back to reveal his gritted teeth. Yet instead of growling or anything Taeyong’s eyes seemed to become wide and Taeyong inhaled a deep breath.

  “How long?” Taeyong asked. Mark shrugged, his own fingers were holding onto the front of Taeyong’s shirt, he had been so scared for a moment. So scared of Taeyong not waking up. He needed Taeyong. Mark squeezed his eyes shut, he couldn’t lose Taeyong.

Taeyong’s hand moved from Mark’s collar to his cheek. “I’m okay.” He assured the other. Mark nodded and pulled away from Taeyong. Taeyong looked at the blanket and eyed Ten who slowly put down the knife. Taeyong rubbed his aching chest. Chenle and Jisung weren’t too interested in what had happened. Jisung was telling Chenle to sleep further away from him from now on, Chenle just giggled and it made Jisung blush and stomp with his feet.

  “Stop giggling!” Jisung growled and grabbed onto Chenle who just laughed. Johnny looked at Mark with an expression that demanded an explanation. Ten slowly passed Mark before he crouched down besides Taeyong.

  “Your heart hurts?” He asked. Taeyong smiled smugly, a tug at the corner of his mouth revealing that he was in pain, but he kept on the mask.

  “Only because you pay so little attention to me.” He joked flirtingly and Ten slapped Taeyong’s shoulder.

  “Stop it.” He muttered and Taeyong laughed. Ten did too.

Mark stopped walking towards Johnny and glared at the wall for a moment. He wasn’t too sure of which person he rooted for anymore.

 

 

 

 

 

  “I’ve made a decision.” Mark said when the others were gathered. Yuta was there with a tea for Taeyong. He still seemed shaken after Hansol’s death. “I’m going to the 5th Clan to see how Jaehyun is doing.”

Taeyong and Ten both frowned. “What?!” They said in shock. Johnny’s eyes widened hopefully. Taeyong reached out an arm that blocked Ten from jumping at Mark, but at the same time leaning forwards pointing at Mark with the tea in hand. “Are you out of your damn mind!” He said with wide eyes and he put down the tea. Ten pushed Taeyong’s arm away to march forwards but Taeyong and Chenle grabbed Ten and got him down again. Ten looked at them both with anger in his eyes.

  “Don’t ing touch me.” He seethed and then tried again, this time Chenle raised his hands up and Taeyong ran a hand over his face.

Ten sat down in front of Mark, cupping his face with his hands. His hands were warm. Mark looked into Ten’s oak brown eyes. They were searching his. He was looking for Mark’s sanity; was he deciding this after thinking it through? Was he still in shock? Mark reached up his hands to hold onto Ten’s and slowly peel them off his face, he held them in his lap and Ten’s brows seemed to dip down.

  “I’ve been thinking it through.” Mark promised, Ten shook his head. Johnny’s head had lowered, Mark looked at Johnny. “I’ll go alone. It’ll be less obvious if I am gone, currently Lord Win is not interested in my company and the attention is all on Ten and Johnny.” Ten tightened his grip on Mark’s hands and Mark noticed Johnny touch the bandage on his leg. “It’ll be quick, we need to see if he’s alright. I have a lot of unanswered questions. I need this.”

Ten closed his eyes, as if he knew that Mark needed it, as if he knew he didn’t have the power to stop Mark. Ten nodded before looking at Mark lovingly, a hand caressing Mark’s cheek. “You’re my baby brother.” He said in a small voice, it was almost a whisper.

  “I will always be.” Mark promised and wrapped his arms around Ten’s waist, feeling the other embracing him. Ten held him close, like he did when Mark felt his father’s absence and cried out for him. When Mark was small and fell from the trees and cried, Ten always landed right beside him and pulled him into his arms. Mark was so lucky to have Ten as his brother. Which meant Ten also deserved trust from Mark. Ten could take of himself. Mark had to stop interfering in the other’s life.

Ten moved away from Mark, scooting backwards using his hands to raise himself up and taking a spot beside Johnny. The taller looked up in surprise and Ten reached out to give Johnny’s arm a squeeze. Johnny pressed his lips into a thin line and lowered his head. Mark watched the other look up before reaching over to squeeze Ten’s thigh back and then it seemed like the taller was a little more confident. Taeyong eyed them, his nostrils flaring before he fixed his gaze on the ground. He took deep breaths and then looked at Mark, eyes intense and Mark thought for a moment that he was angry with him. Taeyong separated his lips to speak. “Bring Chenle and Jisung.” He told the other in a monotone voice. It was a command and Mark would have no chance of arguing.

Mark looked at the two and nodded. Taeyong seemed to like that Mark didn’t try to protest. “I don’t want to have you kidnapped by the 1st clan and have Lord Win at my neck.” He said and for a moment everybody eyed Johnny as if knowing what would happen to Taeyong if they lost Mark.

  “Be quick. You got 2 days.” He said and then eyed the sky. “You leave tomorrow.”


 

 

Ten was lying beside Johnny until the taller fell asleep. Mark was acting as if he was sleeping, having listened to Chenle’s and Jisung’s excited chatter he pretended to go to sleep just to shut them up. Johnny had been sitting at his sleeping spot before going to bed. Ten was talking to him, crouched down besides Johnny and not seeming like he would sleep soon. When Ten stood to leave; Johnny reached out and caught the tip of Ten’s fingers. Ten turned back to Johnny, Mark couldn’t see his face, only his profile as Ten leaned down because Johnny spoke so softly, Ten probably didn’t catch it the first time Johnny said it. “Stay with me.” Johnny had pleaded, looking slightly embarrassed by him asking for it. Ten had just done it to comfort Johnny without the other asking at first, but it seemed like Johnny needed it to fall asleep. Ten froze, breathing in through his mouth before he nodded. Johnny looked like a child who had asked his mother to read to him even though he was considered too old for that. He lied down expectantly and Ten sat down, removing his shoes and lying down on his back, draping his blanket over his body and Mark noticed how broad Johnny’s shoulders were. The other were lying on his side, head on a pillow and an arm beneath it raising his head from the ground. Ten was staring at the ceiling and Mark noticed Johnny exhale deeply as if he was finally comfortable. It was quiet. Taeyong was snacking on something at the entrance of the cave. Doyoung had come by, he was talking to Taeyong, but he was leaning against the side of the cave, only slightly visible to Mark. A movement out of the corner of Mark’s eye caught the action of Johnny moving beneath his cover. Ten inhaled sharply in a small gasp before smiling and there was a small smile on Johnny’s lips as well. Ten closed his eyes.

When Doyoung left Johnny was fast asleep and Ten sat up. Mark turned to face the wall, not letting Ten see him still lying awake. Mark propped himself up on his elbows, looking at Ten who sat down at the edge of the cliff with Taeyong. There was small distance between them. Taeyong turned to look at Ten when the other sat down, but Ten kept looking the other way.

Mark stayed low, watching them in secret.


 

  “You must believe me when I say it’s hard to change my first impression of a Damned, that it’s something I’ve come to fear, when it’s something everybody fears.” Ten said, turning his head towards Taeyong, their bodies silhouettes with the moon’s light embracing them. The wind was a soft breeze, playing with their hair. “We thought our loved ones were gone when they wake up from death.”

  “It’s the opposite, really.” Taeyong said and threw a pebble off the cliff. Ten’s shoulders slouched a little. Taeyong straightened his body, inhaling deeply. Maybe noticing the guilt Ten expressed. “As soon as I landed here the first feeling I felt was loneliness. I felt abandoned and I cried for a long time.” Taeyong was smiling, probably embarrassed. “ I was not easy to control. Lord Win wasn’t as much in strength at that time. He had a contestant who got me first. A woman promising a riot and revenge. Lord Win promised order and a future. I didn’t need a future. I was suicidal.”

Ten’s hand found Taeyong’s in the darkness. Mark saw the other’s fingers wrap around Taeyong’s. Taeyong lifted his hand that had gripped onto the stone to let Ten’s hand hold his. Mark’s chest felt tight, he wasn’t sure of what he was feeling, but it was intense.

  “Don’t pity me.” Taeyong pleaded, but he said it without emotion. “I’ve done terrible things, but I try to do good.”

  “It took me long to realize that.” Ten spoke softly. “I’m sorry for treating you harshly.”

  “I was a predator. Mark has inspired me to restrain myself. If it wasn’t for my mission… I’m afraid I wouldn’t have.” Taeyong turned his head to meet Ten’s gaze. Ten lowered his and Mark noticed how Taeyong leaned closer. Mark’s eyes widened. Their hands were still linked. Mark was about to turn away when Ten inhaled sharply and raised his gaze. Taeyong stopped leaning in.

  “I’ll retreat to my bed.” He breathed out. Taeyong leaned back and nodded. Their hands let go and Ten pulled his back into his lap. “Have to be awake for when Mark leaves.”

Taeyong nodded again, he was quiet. Ten was facing Mark now. “Goodnight.” He said to Taeyong with a smile. Mark lied back down and heard Taeyong mutter a good night back at Ten. The smaller returned to his spot besides Johnny. Chenle was sleeptalking. Jisung kicked the other off of him before moving his sleeping spot further away from Chenle and going back to sleep. Mark closed his eyes.

 

 

 

 

Chenle was packed and being a nuisance to Jisung who was slowly packing his stuff. Taeyong was awake and talking to Johnny. Mark was surprised to see Johnny up and standing and talking to Taeyong at the same time. Ten was sitting at the opposite side of the cave of Mark, smiling at him warmly.

  “You sure you want to go?” He asked and Mark stretched his limps.

  “Spruce.” He said jokingly and Ten chuckled.

  “They do have those trees a lot here so be careful.”

  “They ing hurt.” Mark grinned and Ten shook his head, laughter bubbling from his mouth. Spruce was a saying they used in their clan if something was an thing they liked but yet disliked. Spruce trees were a tree and they could use them, but when you were travelling in the threes with a lot of speed and jumped for a spruce tree? You ended up with angry red skin and scratches all over, if you even made it to the branch. Sometimes their branches were tightly places and it wasn’t possible to grab onto any of them. An unreliable tree.

Johnny gave Mark a letter he’d written for Jaehyun. He gave Mark a big hug, and Mark felt as if that letter was heavy. As if the parchment weighed more than stone. He carefully tugged it into a pocket under his shirt to make sure it stayed safe. Taeyong even handed him a note too, the frown of guilt on his face, before he acted casual and gave Mark’s shoulder a pat.

  “Stay safe, stay low and be quick.” He told Mark shortly and Mark wished he could have Taeyong with him. No matter how unpredictable and how chaotic his moods could be, he knew what to do and made wise choices when it came to tense situations. Not as much when it came to emotions. Mark eyed Ten and then patted Taeyong’s shoulder back.

They climbed the wall in the darkness before the sun would reveal them climbing the mountain. Mark was quick and Chenle even quicker. Jisung seemed to struggle and slip, but Chenle guided him by telling him to follow his trail. Mark looked down and saw Taeyong’s eyes glow white below him; watching him leaving.

 

He was leaving the land of the Damned. He was going back to the 5th clan again.

 

 

Maybe he was in more danger than he had ever been.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

I like this chapter. The next is done too. I really like what is going to happen in the next chapters, so I'm writing a lot. I've finally got a job! Took some time, but that's why I updated late.  

Comments are always appreciated <3

Love,
Emma <3