022

DAMNED

Chapter 22.
 

They found Chenle unconscious in the middle of the cave. There were bloody shirts and ripped blankets scattered all around. The others were sitting with their heads hanging low. Johnny and Jeno had been guarding the entrance. Haechan and to Mark’s surprise, Yuta was sitting over Chenle’s body. His shirt had been cut open and removed from his stomach so that they had access to the wound. Ten was sitting with a torch, the flames was around the tip of a blade. Haechan was pressing down on the wound with a scrunched up shirt. He had blood streaks on his face and his hands were bloody too. Yuta looked weak. Renjun was sitting beside him, keeping him focused and talking to him. Ten looked at the glowing blade. “Should be hot enough.”

  “Okay, give it to Haechan. He has steady hands.” Yuta breathed weakly and Ten still held the blade in the flames so that it stayed hot. Haechan let Yuta remove the cloth. Blood gushed out of the wound. It was a slow trickle; it spread on Chenle’s pale and scarred skin. Haechan’s eyes reflected the light of the torch before he lowered the dagger. Mark hadn’t noticed but Renjun was holding around Chenle’s legs and Jisung let go of Chenle’s hand and was now wrapping his fingers around his friend’s wrists. It got darker outside. Johnny and Jeno turned their gazes to the cave and Mark watched the flames’ light dance on the walls of the cave.

The hot metal met with Chenle’s skin.

The scream curled its way out of his throat as if it came from his dream and then out. His eyes were glowing when they opened. A neon yellow, with that hint of green. It seemed as if his scream echoed through the land, and across the lake. Jisung winced and held him down. Ten pressed down on Chenle’s hips. Chenle roared like a wild animal.

  “This should stop the bleeding, I need my herbs to take care of it so that it heals nicely.” Yuta muttered and Haechan raised the blade looking at their work. Blood no longer ran down Chenle’s side but instead there was a fresh burn. Taeyong crouched down beside Yuta, helping him over to a sleeping spot before talking to him.

  “I checked if the blade had done any harm to his organs, but he should be fine. Luckily our hearts beats slow so he didn’t lose too much blood. Should heal quickly as usual, skin is tough, it wasn’t a deep wound.” He told Taeyong as if that was the only thing he could do. “I need my herbs.”

  “They’ve been burned.” Taeyong said, a hint of hopelessness in his voice.

  “I have more stashes, do you take me for a fool?” Yuta asked, his eyes glowing red. He blinked, eyelids shutting heavily and Taeyong loosened his grip on Yuta’s shoulders, leaning away. He moved to get up but Yuta grabbed onto his arm, keeping him there. “It was her.” He said and Taeyong frowned. “Jiwon is alive.”

Taeyong nodded. “Met her.” He said and Mark noticed a tear escape Yuta’s eye.

  “She killed him.”

  “She did.” Taeyong spoke through gritted teeth. He looked up and blinked. Then he looked at Yuta again. “Rest, my friend.” He pleaded and Yuta nodded. “You’re safe with me.” Taeyong promised.

 

 

 

 

Mark didn’t know why, but he insisted on the others getting rest while he stayed up cleaning Chenle’s blood off the floor of the cave and keeping watch. He watched the others sit and talk, eyeing him and he knew they wanted to help but he couldn’t let them. He felt guilty. He felt so guilty.

It was like it ate him from the inside out, gnawing at his insides and aching in his bones. He also kept glancing at Jaehyun who he now couldn’t look in the eye anymore.

Mark sat down by the edge of the cliff, watching over the land. He rubbed his thigh, biting down on his bottom lip as his emotions overwhelmed him. He had been holding himself back, but now it washed over him, drowning him and forcing him to let it out or he would suffocate. He squeezed his eyes shut, inhaling a trembling breath. He sat with gritted teeth, crying as silently as he could to not alert the others. The moon was up on the sky, the stars twinkling and comforting his spirit.

Mark heard a person move around. The movement was not just somebody turning, and Mark’s assumption was true when he heard steps across the stone. He waited for the person to emerge and covered his face as someone went to sit down to his left.

  “From what I’ve seen since being here,” Haechan’s voice came and Mark sniffled and wiped his face in his sleeve. “I know that you guys are like a family. You’re strongly connected.” Mark looked at his feet dangling off the edge of the cliff. Out of the corner of his eye he could see that Haechan was sitting in a lotus-position. “Yet you only let yourself cry when you’re alone.” His voice came, soft and without blame. Mark tried to hold it in, the knot that seemed to form in his chest before he cried out, feeling it untangle. He covered his mouth and tried to muffle himself. Haechan came closer and Mark felt the other’s arm around his shoulder. He leaned into the touch, and felt Haechan’s body stiffen as if he hadn’t expected Mark to come this close. Mark ignored that, taking what comfort he could. He was glad it wasn’t Ten or Taeyong. That he didn’t worry them. Somehow he just knew Haechan wouldn’t change the way he saw Mark after this, he wouldn’t treat him any differently.

Is this what a friend is? Mark wondered. He had always had Ten, who was more family than friend. The other kids were familiars. They distanced themselves from him when his father died, he never really hung out with only them. Ten was… always there.

Mark had calmed down, but he took the chance to stay with his head on Haechan’s shoulder a little longer. “Haechan,” he asked and then leaned away to look at the other. Haechan looked at him too, Mark knew there was more to the other than what he portrayed. That he kept something hidden, but he’d known that since the first time he met Haechan. So he didn’t feel betrayed. “Can I call you my friend?” He asked the other. Haechan’s lips stretched into a smile, while his brows dipped down in confusion.

  “I… Sure.” He said and Mark wondered why Haechan looked so confused. “Friends.” He mused and Mark nodded eagerly. Haechan smiled, now looking genuinely happy. “A friend.” He said and Mark grinned. The two looked at each other. Mark felt glee spread through his limps as he let this idea blossom.

And for a moment, he saw Haechan’s background change. As if they were at the fields surrounding his home. The yellow corn swaying in the wind. Haechan’s dark red hair with the blue sky as its background, the wind pulling at a few strands. Peace. Mark thought, he missed that feeling of calm. Knowing life would continue on as it should, instead of that stomach curling feeling of an unsettled future and darker days to come.

 

 

 

Haechan went back to sleep. And Mark was thankful for Taeyong who had been sleeping at his sleeping spot beside Ten, coming out and taking over for him before dawn came. Mark went under the blanket. His head felt so much heavier as he lied down and exhaustion dragged him off to a dreamless sleep almost immediately. No time to think or wonder, just a few hours of rest.

 

 

 

 

 

As the sun was rising, Mark left the group and went down the stairs. It was time to confront Lord Win. He couldn’t wait for the other to do something, he had to see what was going on. To have some kind of direction or purpose. He knew Lord Win had plans and it was time for them to get into motion, or else everything would crash and burn. Jiwon had too many followers. Mark felt uneasy when he realized she’d been the one Taeyong was following at some point. Could she convince him again?

There were clouds in the distance, growing tall like mountains and Mark knew they would bring rain with them. He walked with a determination in his steps and didn’t even bother with the guards; stepping right into Lord Win’s tent. The two guards followed him inside, one of them calling out but as they went into the dimly lit room of his large tent. They recognized his blue eyes as he turned around to give them a look.

  “Back off.” He hissed at them. The red eyes blinked back at him and they bowed their heads, stepping backwards. Mark headed straight for the passage to Lord Win’s quarters. His steps were softened by the dirt on the ground. The torches passed by him, and he found himself at the quarters before he could think about what to say.

Mark scanned the room.

 

  “I expected you’d come.” A voice came. The depth of it and the authority definitely revealed it to belong to Lord Win. Mark saw the other’s silhouette, the horns rising and reaching out to the front, curling to the sides at the very tip. Mark always tried to look past them because they freaked him out. But it was such a statement, and Mark wondered how they got there.

  “Everything is falling apart, my Lord.” Mark said a hand coming out to exaggerate his statement. “Coups and his group almost killed Chenle.” Mark continued. “And some woman called Jiwon is in control of the group. She’s creating chaos and everyone is restless!”

  “So am I, Mark.” Lord Win said and he moved into the light, the green glow vanishing from his eyes. He came closer, nearing the table with the map on it. Mark watched him. Waiting for the other to speak. Lord Win looked down at the map. “I have found the missing piece.” He said with a frown. Mark was gripping the edge of his shirt. “The next commander who was sent away, hidden from the people who was trying to murder him… He’s in the 4th Clan. That was where he was brought. You’ll recognize him by the tattoo on his lower back.” Lord Win was looking intently at him. “Night soldiers have been roaming the area. Kun has been holding them off, but they’re coming for me. Commander Hun is trying to keep us away before his plan succeeds. I need a group to go to the 4th Clan and look for the True Commander and a group to put an end to Commander Hun’s rule. We need the rightful commander, the one who’s meant to rule our lands. Someone who could understand us. He’s been hunted because he’s seen as weak. Just because he is ill. Now we are too. We should protect him, bring him to his rightful place and he will grant us freedom. Mark. We need this. I know you want to go home. This is your chance.”


Mark felt breathless, it looked bright. Everything looked so much brighter. “I’ll let your group decide who goes where. I want someone to go to the 4th Clan as soon as possible. We can’t strike without knowing where the True Commander is. I’m afraid that would make people fear us even more.”


Mark nodded. “Yes, my Lord. Thank you!” He bowed and then ran out.


They had a purpose.

 

 

 

 

Mark gathered the group. Doyoung was there when he arrived and he didn’t bother to decide if Doyoung was going to be in on the mission too, so he just let the other stay. Some of them were sitting. Yuta, Ten, Jisung, Chenle and Renjun were all sitting down, facing Mark who stood with his back towards the lake. Doyoung, Taeyong, Johnny, Haechan, Jaehyun and Jeno all stood and listened.

Mark found himself at loss for words in the beginning, standing there looking at people who all had become dear to him after all of this. His eyes scanned over them. Taeyong who was leaning against the wall to the left. Doyoung who stood behind Yuta who looked better after getting some rest. Ten was leaning against Johnny’s legs. Jisung were holding an arm around Chenle who still looked pale. Haechan stood a little behind Jaehyun who had his arms crossed over his chest. Mark avoided Jaehyun’s gaze and moved his eyes to Jeno who were leaning against the wall in the right side of the cave. Renjun were leaning against the wall on the ground, eyes on Mark.

  “We’re leaving.” Mark started and watched their reactions. Taeyong was frowning, most of them looked similar. Chenle and Jisung looked excited at the news. Doyoung seemed to analyze if he had already foreseen these news. Haechan had an open expression, as if waiting for Mark’s next words.

  “Lord Win told me of his plans, and he gave us the chance to complete the mission.” Now some of the frowns seemed less confused and at guard, and more interested. “We need to move quickly. So be quick at deciding if you’re coming or not.”

A quick mummer of, “of course we are” – “did you think we weren’t?” Spread amongst the group.

Mark continued. “We need to go to the 4th Clan. It is said that the True Commander was brought there and is in hiding. We need to find him first, then we’ll go in and dethrone Commander Hun. What he is planning to do… We can’t let his plans go through. We need to stop him and put the rightful Commander in his place. He will understand us, he can unite us once again.”

Mark noticed Jaehyun’s eyes widen and that Johnny was eyeing Jaehyun weirdly. Haechan though looked suspicious.

Taeyong stepped forward. “So we have a purpose?” He asked and Mark nodded. “How will we go into the 4th Clan? There’s a long travel, clearly we’re all not gonna be very welcome. Do we know what the Commander looks like?”

Mark nodded. “I have a plan.” He assured the other. “And the commander has a tattoo on his lower back.”

  “So we just rip the shirt off everyone who looks like he could be a commander?” Jeno asked and Jisung gave the other a glare.

  “Are you stupid?” He asked and Jeno looked at the other with a warning look. Jisung didn’t seem to back down. Chenle patted Jisung’s thigh and the other finally looked away from Jeno. Chenle was still looking at Mark.

  “We can’t possibly be the only ones who are looking for him. He won’t reveal himself willingly. Why should he trust us?” Chenle spoke clearly but softly, as if he didn’t have enough strength to be silly.

  “See, that’s where I’m lost too.” Mark admitted. He noticed Johnny lean in and whisper something to Jaehyun. Mark tapped his thigh and moved his gaze to Haechan’s. Haechan looked… guilty?

  “We’re Damned. We can’t go in there.” Sounded Yuta. “Our eyes will reveal us if there isn’t enough light.

  “Not us.” Ten said and pointed at the others. Johnny and Jaehyun turned to look at Ten. Jeno pushed himself off the wall.

  “He’s right.” Said Haechan, sounding like he was struggling to speak. “You’ll camp in a safe spot, us who aren’t Damned will go in and look.”

  “You don’t have our senses.” Taeyong argued. “We have an advantage.”

Jaehyun looked at Taeyong. “And a disadvantage. It will be too much of a risk to bring you in there too.”

Taeyong huffed, but he didn’t argue with Jaehyun. The other was right. Doyoung was frowning, having stayed mostly quiet. “But if we don’t know what he looks like. It will not be quick enough.”

  “We don’t have time.” Mark agreed. “The Damned are frustrated, they’re gathering in groups. We can’t have them suddenly attack, we’ll be hated… our chance of uniting with our families again will be zero. We have to do this the right way. Lord Hun is being odd too, I fear soldiers will be at our gates in the near future. He has made us a threat, and people won’t stay calm and just let us continue living.”

  “So we have to move soon?” Johnny asked. “It sounds like a suicide mission.”

  “It probably is.” Taeyong agreed. “But what choice do we have?”

Everybody was thinking it through. Mark looked at them all. “Do we not want a world which is at peace? Do you not want to go home? This is what we have to do. We have to do this if we want a future for our world. We’re not free in this place. I’ll die if it means that the people who are ill and wake up… they won’t be killed but they will be taken care of. That people won’t call us Damned… because we aren’t. We are survivors. And we deserve life as much as everyone else.”

The others lowered their gazes to the ground. A silence settled upon them all as they spread out to take these news in.

 

 

 

 

 

  “Look at them.” Taeyong said as he and Mark gazed out upon the view. “Burning tents.”

Mark huffed. “They’re reckless.”

  “Stupid.” Jisung huffed. He was sitting to Mark’s right. “How can we become accepted as reasonable human beings when they’re acting like children?”
Mark and Taeyong turned to look at Jisung. Jisung looked back at them.

  “You are a child.” Taeyong stated. Jisung groaned.

  “Come on, I’m 15!”

  “Child.” Taeyong said again as if that was obvious. Jisung huffed and turned his head away from them. Mark chuckled. Jisung flung out an arm in Mark’s direction.

  “What about him?!”

  “I’m… 18 or something.”

Jisung nodded with wide eyes. “Yeah, sure. Adulthood sure did you good! Mark… the Adult!”

Taeyong laughed while shaking his head. Mark’s laugh came out as a bark. “Stop it.” He said and slapped Jisung’s arm. Jisung thought he was quite funny and continued his jokes, making Taeyong fall onto his back just by laughing too hard.

 

 

Mark looked back into the cave where the others were sleeping. He noticed one figure in the back was sitting up, panting. Mark felt his stomach sink when he noticed it was Jaehyun. The other was resting his head on his knees. Slowly he raised his gaze and their eyes met. Mark didn’t smile. He turned away. Taeyong was rubbing his stomach, trying to ease his muscles from all the laughing. Mark looked up at the moon.


Should he ask Jaehyun? Should he ask Jaehyun why he deceived him?


Why he lied to him?

 

 

 

A/N:

I am throwing a lot of things at you, I know. Hahah, we're picking up the pace towards some things I've planned for a long time. 

What are your thoughts? 

 - (Who are your ships in this??)

 

Love,
Emma <3