011

DAMNED

Chapter 11. (could almost call this a double update)


Mark nodded and they ran back to the cave. “I need to see Lord Win!” He said and Ten held onto him.

  “I won’t leave you.” Ten promised and Mark embraced Ten tightly. His brother, if they demanded him to be handed over: Mark couldn’t live without Ten.

  “If they see you…” Mark said breathlessly, his sentence lingering and proving his point of the dangers he imagined. Ten swallowed while shaking his head.

  “They know that we’re here, Mark.” He pointed out and Johnny who was supporting Jaehyun nodded. He came closer and reached down to hold Ten’s hand. Ten gripped onto Johnny’s too. “We will face them together.”

Mark looked at the determination in their faces before his gaze landed on Jaehyun who looked a little faint after all the running. Mark felt his chest wrench. This was Jaehyun’s chance to survive; he was weak and couldn’t survive the decease if it got to him. He needed to get out of this land, back to safety of the 5th Clan’s borders. Mark just nodded and turned around to walk towards the entrance. He slowed in his steps and then pulled Johnny to the side. He insisted Ten and Jaehyun followed Taeyong and Hansol.

Johnny looked at him with a worried frown on his face. Mark couldn’t explain how much he admired the other for the kindness he showed everyone, but right now he needed the other to help him. “This is Jaehyun’s chance.” Mark said and Johnny frowned.

  “What do you mean?” He asked, looking sincerely confused.

  “From what I’ve learned about being Damned and about what the decease does to you, him being here is dangerous, Johnny.” Mark looked up at Johnny with a serious gaze. “He thinks becoming infected will make him strong like us, but it’s only because our bodies can keep on fighting the decease. Maybe, eventually we’ll die.” He said and looked up at Johnny who’s face had changed from confusion to terror. He turned his face towards where the others were walking. Mark gripped onto Johnny’s arm. “If they want you guys back, at least let Jaehyun go home.”

  “He won’t leave without me.” Johnny said, he looked torn. “And what about Ten?” He asked and Mark pressed his lips into a thin line.

  “Ten couldn’t leave me.”

  “But Ten can’t be the only human being here. I promised him…” He said but didn’t finish his sentence. Mark blinked, what had he missed? “I…” Johnny ran a hand through his hair and Mark started walking towards the gates. Johnny followed him.

  “Jaehyun has to survive.” Mark said and Johnny nodded, but he looked very distraught. Mark felt guilty for putting him in this position of choosing to stay with new friends or going with a lifelong friend. As soon as they reached the gates, they saw a group of Damned all gathered around them. There was a bunch of hissing and Mark and Johnny pushed their way through until they reached their group. Johnny tugged Ten with him before whispering something to him. Taeyong eyed them, but right now he was focused on the sight of Commander Hun who stood in front of them, right by the border.

Ten said something that sounded angry and Mark looked back to see Ten step away from Johnny. Johnny raised his gaze when Ten turned away from him and Johnny looked really distressed.

 

 

 

 

The group of Damned parted when Lord Win made his entrance. It was daylight, and Mark would bet that Lord Win was annoyed by that, because the other eyed the sun with a slightly grimace. His horns looked less big than in the darkness, but just as magnificent. Mark noticed Commander Hun take a step back at the sight of him. Mark doubted Commander Hun had ever visited this land.

  “What brings me the honor of the company of our royal Commander?” Lord Win asked and Mark chuckled. Taeyong did too, while Doyoung stood with a frown.

Commander Hun was taller than Lord Win just the slightest, both of them eyeing each other. “I have been forced to come here, because you seem to have broken the only rule given to you.” He replied back with a smile. Lord Win raised his brows.

  “We needed to change up the rules a bit. One of our own would’ve been killed if we didn’t bend the rule a little bit.” He leaned forwards and exaggerated bend. “He was smarter than us and well, he had company. They’re all alive and well, by the way.” Lord Win said and threw out a lazy hand in the direction of the group. Commander Hun looked at them and Mark pushed Jaehyun and Ten forwards. Johnny’s hands were curled into fists.

  “And they’re not ill?” Commander Hun asked and Lord Win shook his head before gesturing the three to come closer. Mark noticed Johnny get in between Ten and Jaehyun. Lord Win circled around them, they were just by the border, but a few steps separated them from the safety of the 1st Clan’s soldiers. Commander Hun walked to the side so that he face the three.

  “We’ve decided to welcome you back to our borders with the same privileges as before, you’ve survived so long and we believe it is safe for you to return. Your clans miss you greatly.”

Lord Win put a hand on Ten’s shoulder. “These kids are mine.” He said and Commander Hun glared at Lord Win. “I demand something in return before I give them back to you.”

Commander Hun put his hands in front of him, looking like he tried to stop being angry. “And what could you possibly demand?”

  “Oh, it is getting a bit boring in here.” He started. “I’d like some more freedom to roam around. Maybe some extra food to be given? We don’t have much land to grow our own.”

  “Extra land?” Commander Hun repeated, as if taking that request out from what Lord Win said. “I could give you a little.” He said.

  “Well, then we should just keep them here.”

Commander Hun pressed his lips into a thin line. “And I could place my soldiers at your borders, then there is less freedom for your kind.”

Lord Win huffed. “So much respect for those who were once one of you.” He mused and caressed Ten’s hair. Commander Hun didn’t seem to like that action. “You seem to forget I am the one having something that you want.” He smiled. “More land.” He said. “Simple request.”

  “What land then?” Commander Hun asked dryly.

Lord Win pointed to the left, not near the 5th Clan’s borders. “I want more of the woods. We’re growing in numbers lately.” He said pointedly and Commander Hun looked disturbed.

  “Fine. I’ll give you more land, every time you return these Clan members.”

Lord Win waited for a moment, not replying before he then eyed some of the soldiers. His hand behind Ten’s back seemed to make some gestures. Taeyong caught them immediately and walked forwards, Kun coming out of the group of Damned as well. Johnny looked back, and it was as if he knew, because he looked up at the gates that would come crashing down before he grabbed onto Jaehyun and pushed him forwards. A soldier beside Commander Hun grabbed onto him just as the gates’ spears dropped down and separated them. Mark wondered what he hadn’t seen just as Lord Win flicked his wrist and one Damned slit his own wrist before sending blood through the gaps and Commander Hun was blocked by a wall of soldiers who raised their arrows, but Commander Hun ordered them not to fire and stand back. Afraid of the arrows hitting Ten and Johnny. Mark was forced to follow Lord Win into his tent. Kun gripped onto Johnny, and Ten was held onto by Taeyong. Mark looked for Jaehyun who’s voice were calling out for them.

  “Johnny!! Mark!” He screamed. “Taeyong!”

Mark noticed Taeyong freeze and look back. Mark closed his eyes and tried to block out Jaehyun’s cries. He would be safer back with his clan. Not here.

They were taken all the way into the back of the cave, into Lord Win’s quarters. The light in there was dim, and all the Damned who was gathered in there had glowing eyes. Mark stood by the entrance, not wanting to move further into the room in case Lord Win exploded.

Johnny was let go by Hansol who immediately backed away from the taller. The guy’s hands were shaking, eyes wide and fixed on the ground. He probably couldn’t believe he’d done that to his friend. Mark noticed Ten step away from Taeyong, one hand reaching out towards Johnny, but even Ten wasn’t stupid. He kept his distance to Johnny. Taeyong didn’t even mind Ten stepping away from him. Right now Taeyong had his eyes fixed on the ground as well, not daring to look at Lord Win who was too quiet. The Lord was leaning over the table with the map on, a deep frown making his green glowing eyes look angry. Even Kun wasn’t grinning.

 

 

Mark jumped when Lord Win finally moved. Kun seemed to jump to a fighting stance and Taeyong took two steps back. Lord Win’s silence had been him trying to calm himself, but finally he let himself lash out. He didn’t flip the table as his hands had almost done, but instead took quick long strides before he pushed Johnny with full force. Johnny fell to the ground and Ten cried out and covered his mouth at sight of the other flying into a pile of pots. Mark hissed and closed his eyes. Somehow he trusted Lord Win not to go overboard like Taeyong, but as Lord Win grabbed onto Johnny it was obvious that the other had cut himself on a broken pot, because blood drenched the back of Johnny’s pants.

  “You fool!” Lord Win growled and Mark found himself now standing in front of Ten, almost by Lord Win and Johnny. The horned Damned shook Johnny by the grip on his shirt. “How dare you go against me?” He demanded to know. Johnny’s wide shocked eyes were now teary and his full lips seemed to only tremble. The other couldn’t speak.

  “My lord.” Mark interfered and heard Taeyong protest shortly, but it was too late. Lord Win spun around, green eyes wild.

  “Bring Blue back to his quarters. Bring this fool and the other companions.” He seethed. “Separate the healthy.” He then said after eyeing Ten and Johnny. “They’re probably conspiring behind our backs.”

Mark gawped, Lord Win was totally misunderstanding the situation. Mark tried to speak but he immediately sealed his lips when Lord Win looked at him.

  “Taeyong you take Ten and you,” Lord Win was speaking to Hansol. “Take these two.” He said and pointed to Johnny and Mark. Hansol bowed his head and grabbed Johnny, taking the other onto his back and carrying him. Mark looked at Doyoung who was asked to stay together with Kun. Mark tried to grab Ten’s hand when Taeyong jumped in between them.

  “Whatever you two spoke about,” he muttered, eyes flicking to look at Johnny. “You’ve brought this upon yourself.” He said simply.

  “Ten stays with me.” Mark insisted.

Taeyong shot out a hand, grabbing onto the fabric covering Mark’s shoulder and tugging at it. “Listen to me. You ed up. Don’t expect mercy from me right now. You act like you’ve got nothing to lose, but obviously you do.” Mark and Taeyong were almost at the exit of Lord Win’s tent. “I cannot have the whole clan of Damned after me for thinking I collaborated with you guys and was in on the little stunt. They will try to kill you. Be grateful that I’m protecting Ten.”

Mark was angry, so angry he pushed Taeyong’s hand off him. He found Ten outside, but instead of seeking his brother, he only looked at Ten before stomping towards the cave. No matter how furious Mark was right now, he couldn’t deny that Taeyong was right. Everyone would think this was a group decision. They would come for him, blaming him. He wasn’t popular before and definitely wouldn’t be now.

Jisung walked by his side and Mark huffed. They were a bunch of outcasts. They were ing doomed.

 

 

 

 

 

Johnny was now shaking, his muscles cramping together and it looked like he was having a seizure. Sweat was soaking through his clothes as well as that crimson red. He kept calling out names and some Mark had never heard before. He tried to ignore how scared he was that Ten was alone with Taeyong, that he left the other without as much as a promise of protection. Had Ten called out for him? Mark hadn’t heard, he had been so frustrated; too focused on not crashing his knuckles into the mountain wall and breaking every bone in his hand. Mark was gripping onto Johnny’s hand, Jisung who Mark noticed had been liking Johnny a lot was helping Hansol tie fabric around the cuts to stop the bleeding.

  “Jaehyun.” Johnny cried out and Mark looked at the other’s lips, his teeth was gritted and bared, eyes squeezed shut in pain. “Ten…”
Mark ran a hand through Johnny’s hair and then heard a name that wasn’t familiar. “Haechan.” Johnny cried and now his cries turned into deep sobs that tore through his throat and Mark looked up at Hansol and Jisung who both looked just as lost. Ten would’ve known what to do. Ten would’ve held Johnny close and whispered sweet words that would calm the other. Jaehyun would’ve known what to do, he’d tell Johnny about their hometown and calm the other’s cries with soft hushes.

Mark wasn’t good at that. He didn’t have gentle hands that gave comfort. He just always tried to be kind and as he sat there he didn’t think kindness was enough.

 

 

  “Mark.” Hansol said, voice far away and Mark sat up in surprise, not having noticed Hansol move away to the entrance of the cave.

 

  “We’ve got company.”

 

 

 

A/N:

Told you I'd update again! 
This chapter I've written recently, the other is pretty old actually. Things are happening!

Love,
Emma <3