023

DAMNED

Chapter 23.

 

They were all wearing their clothes, getting ready to travel far for a long time. Mark watched smoke rise from where Jinwon’s group had burned another tent to the ground. They were going against the Damned siding with Lord Win. Mark was sure the other would be busy.

Ten and Taeyong were talking as they walked down the long staircase together. Mark looked back at the others. Jeno and Renjun walked side by side. Chenle walked on his own, not with the usual jump in his step. Jisung was right behind him, trying to secure a pillow to his backpack. Johnny, Haechan and Jaehyun walked down next. Mark kept his eyes downcast. He knew Jaehyun was looking at him. Haechan halted in his steps, but Johnny tugged on the other’s sleeve. Doyoung and Yuta walked alongside each other, they were talking about the future and the past. Mark heard Yuta mentioning Hansol. Mark looked up towards the cave that they may never see again. He saw Hansol stand in front of it, looking out upon the view. He could’ve been with them. Mark turned away from Hansol and followed the group. He looked up from his feet to see Haechan waiting for him. When he caught up to him, the other walked by his side.

 

 

 

  “I see you have prepared yourselves.” Lord Win said when they passed by his tent before leaving. He looked at all of them. Some not looking as enthusiastic as others. “12 people.” He mused. “This is a good group. I am sure you’ll be able to complete this mission successfully.”

  “My Lord.” Taeyong spoke and went on his knee. Lord Win’s glowing green eyes shifted to look at Taeyong. “We are all a little confused about how we will find this True Commander you speak of.”

Lord Win raised his head. “Ah,” he smiled. “He’s around your age and tall.”

Some of them only seemed to grimace even more in confusion. Taeyong stood again. “Thank you, Lord Win.”

The other smiled. “I’ll add another number to your group. He is a great warrior and will be of much help to you. Kun.” Lord Win said and Kun looked at the other with wide eyes. Lord Win only nodded and Kun lingered in his spot for a moment before moving over to stand beside the others.

Mark frowned. So did some of the others. Yet they accepted Lord Win’s blessings and encouragement before they left the tent. Lord Win sat down in his chair and watched them leave. He didn’t see them out. Mark made Haechan move out of the group and to the front by bumping into his shoulder. Haechan followed the other as they walked ahead. They exited the gates and looked back at the Damned who closed them. They had a day’s travel ahead of them. Then they would rest.


 

 

  “We could go through the 7th Clan instead of the 5th. I think we’ve created enough chaos in that clan.” Mark suggested to Taeyong who had caught up with him and Haechan. The white haired Damned nodded in agreement.

  “You, Ten and Jisung know the area well.” He voiced the pros of that choice. “Anything we should know about the place before we venture into the land?”

  “Wrous.” Came Ten’s voice as he walked up to them, walking on Taeyong’s left. “Comes in packs of 5 mostly, can jump far and high, also climb if they’re desperate. They’re too heavy for the trees, so we can easily outrun them if we’re taking the chase up in the trees. On the ground it’s different. We have paths that go through the crowns of the trees to make sure we never are vulnerable to their attacks.”

  “So another form of Rox?” Haechan asked. Mark nodded.

  “But these are consistent, they breed and have become their own species. Therefore we gave them a name.”

 

 

Talking about these creatures seemed to spread an alertness through the group. They would reach the clan’s borders at night. They decided not to venture too far into the clan and rest before they reached the territory of the Wrous.

 

 

Mark eyed Kun who was strutting through the fields with them. He seemed to have a different kind of confidence or sense of purpose than the others had. There was no hopelessness in his eyes. No insecurities.

Mark left Haechan’s side to go to Kun. “What about Lord Win?” He asked and looked up to see Haechan look back at him. He gave the other a small smile. Haechan looked forward again, joined by Renjun and Jeno.

Kun sighed. “Do you have to remind me?”

Mark raised a brow in confusion. “Remind you?”

  “That he is left with those maniacs.” Kun looked at the distant sky. “He knows how to handle himself. He needs me here because he can’t leave the land himself.”

Mark nodded. Sounded right, but why would Lord Win want to be here with them? Didn’t he trust them to do the job?

 

 

 

 

They passed through the ruins of what once had been a town. It had been in the shelter of a hill and the foundation still stood strong, yet now nature had wrapped its hand around the buildings. Branches reached out over the street and created roofs of leaves. Mark hugged his jacket closer. They could meet odd creatures out here. Currently they were travelling through the land that didn’t’ belong to any clan. There were few clans that hadn’t joined under the Commander, but they had quickly created distance when the decease spread and Mark wondered if they had lived on this land once?

  “Look here.” Doyoung, Yuta, Renjun, Jeno and Jisung were all exploring the areas. “The way they built their houses with bricks. It’s hardened clay, put up on a formation that could hold up the houses and have them rise up several levels.”

  “Which Clan are you from, Doyoung?” Jisung asked.

A nostalgic look appeared on Doyoung’s face as he stood up. They were standing in an alleyway between two buildings. The sun was close to the mountains in the distance and soon they wouldn’t have much light anymore. “The 2nd.” He said with a wistful smile. “We like to build houses like this, with the use of rocks and clay. Like the fifth clan. We try to build them a little taller. But nothing can match the 1st.”

  “I heard the 1st Clan’s buildings reach higher than trees.” Jisung said with awe in his voice.

  “They do.” Said Taeyong who was watching them, leaning against the wall. Mark stood near the other wall, silently listening. “Built on a foundation much stronger than bricks. They’ve survived all kinds of weather for so many years. The tallest building where the commander lives is 11 stories high.” Everybody gawped. Wondering if they would all get to see the 1st Clan’s city. “It was much taller, but the weather and the Last War did its damage.”
Mark looked back to see Jaehyun, Johnny, Haechan and Chenle stand near them. Johnny and Haechan looked up towards the sky. Jaehyun was looking at Taeyong as if every word that came from his mouth touched some part of him. He looked sad. Mark wondered if Jaehyun still held feelings for the other.

  “Well, I hope you’re not afraid of heights.” Mark said with a grin. “Because we’re pretty high up in the 7th Clan.”

Ten nodded, coming over to Mark, putting a hand on his shoulder. “The 5th Clan always described us as the flying people, because it looked like that when they walked below and looked up at us.”

  “It did look like you were flying.” Taeyong remembered. “The first time we chased you, I didn’t know who was Damned or not because you were both so fast.”

  “That was a mess.” Kun’s voice suddenly appeared. “Not being able to find the Damned one amongst a group.”

Johnny, Jaehyun, Ten and Mark all looked at each other. Remembering their first time being dragged into the Land of the Damned. Mark avoided Jaehyun’s eyes when they sought his. He settled to leaning against Ten who put weight on Mark too, the two leaning against each other.

  “Well, why didn’t our dear Lord send you instead?” Taeyong shot back. Yuta came closer and placed a hand on Taeyong’s arm. The sun had sunk below the mountains, the sky was blue but no light shone down upon them anymore, leaving most of them in the shade. Their eyes started to have a soft glow. It only made the look Kun gave Taeyong even more dangerous.

  “He’s sent me now.” He said in a low voice and Mark noticed Jeno wrap his fingers around the handle of his sword. He scanned the others and saw Johnny and Haechan stand at guard too. Chenle was sitting down on the ground, resting. He didn’t look like he had the energy to bother with them.

  “Let’s sleep here.” Yuta spoke. “Night is coming and if we get going early, we should have daylight while moving through most of the land of the 7th Clan.”

  “You’re right.” Mark quickly said. “Let’s settle.”

Ten leaned away from Mark, following Taeyong who immediately walked away from the others. Mark looked at Johnny and noticed that he was looking in their way. Mark had almost forgotten. He fiddled with his clothes as he took in the look on Johnny’s face as he watched Ten leave with Taeyong.

Mark too watched Ten. So he had made a choice?

 

 

 

 

As the stars decorated the black sky, everyone seemed to find their own places to sleep. Mark decided to sleep with Jisung, Chenle, Renjun and Jeno. He made a spot ready for himself to sleep on. It was in one of the buildings where the roof was missing. Chenle had lied down, already having said goodnight. Jisung was sitting by a makeshift fire they had made. Jeno was sitting beside Renjun, holding one of Renjun’s hands in his while they spoke in low voices. Mark didn’t want to eavesdrop but noticed Jisung watch the two when they talked.

Steps on the staircase alerted them, but only Jeno didn’t hear them. They were quiet. Mark turned around to see Haechan ascending them. “Room for one more?”

Mark grinned and nodded. Haechan smiled and looked at the ground. Mark looked behind Haechan on the opposite building that he could see through the frame where a window once had been. He walked over to it and looked out upon the street.

Johnny and Jaehyun were standing near Mark’s building. Johnny ripped his wrist from Jaehyun’s grip and Mark leaned forwards, alarmed.

  “I’m not sleeping with them.” Johnny snarled and then fixed his gaze on his feet. He looked away, breathing through his nose to calm himself.

  “You’ve fallen for him?” Jaehyun asked. His voice sounded different. That tone. It pained Mark’s heart to hear it. “I thought you were taught-”

  “We’re all human.” Johnny shot back. “How about you? I don’t see you holding yourself back?”

Jaehyun smiled, but the smile didn’t reach his eyes. He nodded. “They don’t want us.” He then said quietly.

  “He’s unpredictable, he’s not safe for him.”

  “Mark’s safe.” Jaehyun muttered and Johnny looked at him.

  “What?”

Jaehyun shook his head. “Nothing.” He assured the taller. “Haechan went to sleep with the others, asked me if it was okay.”

  “Why are you scolding me?” Johnny asked. “You should keep an eye on him, he’s acting so strange.”

  “He’s acting like the teenager he is, Johnny.” Jaehyun said with the tone of a parent. “You both deserved to grow up free like that.”

  “But look where we are.” Johnny muttered with a bitter tone to his voice. “Yet,” the taller said, the bitterness vanishing from his voice. “We’re family.”

Jaehyun’s face looked bright. “We are.” He said with a sigh of relief. “We should sleep with Doyoung. I like him.”

Johnny smirked. “He likes you too.”

  “Stop it.” Jaehyun chuckled.

 

 

Mark finally let himself breathe, he turned away from the street and fell against the wall. So many things to take in. Yet two words seemed to repeat themselves inside his head.


Mark’s safe.


  “Then why can’t you trust me?” Mark asked and looked at the light coming from the fire. Haechan was laughing at something Jisung had said. What are you hiding? He wondered.

 

 

 

Maybe he was wrong. Maybe he couldn’t live with the secrets Haechan hid from him. He needed to know. They were hiding something important. Mark hated when people lied to him. He pushed himself off the wall and walked over to the fire. Haechan and Jisung looked up at him. There was a worried look in both of their eyes. Mark was sure his emotions were clear and that he couldn’t hide his anger.

  “Haechan.” He said, Haechan put down the fish and bread he was eating. “We need to talk.”


 

 

Mark didn’t wait for Haechan to catch up with him. He noticed Jisung decide that he was taking the first watch. Jeno and Renjun had lied down to sleep.
Haechan came forwards when they were on the street, away from the buildings Mark knew were occupied. Haechan stopped Mark by gripping onto his shoulder. “Mark, you’re angry.” He said and Mark spun around to look into Haechan’s eyes. The moon lit them up and Mark felt his anger subside. He was with someone who since he had first met him, felt true. An equal.

  “I’m tired,” Mark started but cleared his throat because it had wavered. “I’m tired of people lying to me.”

Haechan’s eyes widened. “Mark.” He said and Mark raised a hand to signal that he wasn’t done.

  “Jaehyun has lied. You are not telling me the whole truth and Lord Win… Sending Kun with us, I don’t like that.”

  “Me neither.” Haechan admitted. “I’m not a fan of your Lord. Yet you guys follow him so diligently. He’s done good things. Jisung told us that. I like him more than what the Commander is doing right now.” Haechan seemed out of breath, he was thinking hard. “I want to be truthful with you, Mark, you’re my friend. But I keep secrets that are not mine to reveal.” Haechan looked at Mark pleadingly. “Please know that. I’m with you.”

Mark looked at Haechan. The words touched him. The words reassured him. He felt calmer.

  “It’s okay. I understand.” Mark nodded. “Will you help me?” Haechan nodded. (“Anything.”) Mark looked up at the buildings he knew they slept in. “I need to talk with Jaehyun in private tomorrow. I can’t have anyone eavesdropping. I want to make sure it’s just me and him.”

Haechan frowned a little but nodded again. “Sure.”

  “Okay.” Mark exhaled deeply. “Then I can sleep.”

Haechan smiled warmly. “Good. Because you need sleep.” He said and Mark felt the other place an arm around his shoulder. He leaned closer to Haechan.

  “You too. Aren’t you exhausted?”

  “I am, but you’re keeping me up.”

Mark laughed. “I’m sorry.”

Haechan chuckled. “No problem, that is what friends do.”

 

 


A noise reached him, just the slight noise of a pebble falling down a set of stairs and across the ground. It was enough for him to stop up and look around.

 

 

  “Mark!

 

 

Both of them turned around at the sound of a distraught voice. They stood on the street alone, but when they looked closer another person was running out of one of the houses. Mark recognized Ten’s figure and he ran closer. Haechan pulled out his weapon, eying the alleys and nearing cautiously.
Ten was walking unsteadily, he pulled up his shirt that was falling off of his shoulders. Mark caught the other when he stumbled into his embrace. A distinct smell was on his skin, a flush in his cheeks and the sweat-drenched hair. Mark frowned, holding Ten out in front of him. “Ten?” He asked and the other closed his eyes.

  “He didn’t stop.” He cried and Mark let Ten search for comfort in his arms. He noticed Haechan turn his head and he looked up at the other. Haechan gave Mark a look that they shared.


 

Doyoung’s voice seemed to come forward, a prophecy that Mark had forgotten.


 

  “I heard whimpers, and something that cannot be undone was done. You are tied… but you will not be able to hold onto each other if you can’t forgive each other. And some things cannot be forgiven.”

 

 

 

A/N:

MY BABY TEN IS COMING BACK BUT WHEN??? WILL HE GET LINES??? MARK'S 4th UNIT???? LUCAS AND JUNGWOO??? I'M SHOOK. 

Ready for the next chapter? 

(btw I love reading your comments, all your theories, I wish I could answer them hahaha! But I don't want to spoil anything!!)

 

Love,
Emma <3