041

DAMNED

Chapter 41.

Mark had been awake for some time now. Yet he couldn’t leave the bed, because Haechan’s head was on his shoulder and he wanted the feeling to last. It was warm beneath the blanket. Haechan was breathing in slow and deep breaths through his mouth, his lips slightly open at the sound of it. Mark’s left arm was raised, his fingers tentatively going down to caress the other’s hair as gentle as he could. Haechan’s hair smelled like flowers. Mark wondered if he had washed it with one of the scented oils Yuta carried. It was a specific flower and grew near the banks of the river surrounding the 5th Clan. Yuta must have snuck out to gather the flowers. Maybe he had done that for a long time. Yuta had more to him than what Mark knew. Mark realized he knew very little about most of the members in his group.

There was a soft hum in his chest, every time he let himself focus on Haechan’s close proximity. He felt like this feeling inside of his chest were going to burst and spread through his entire body, but he also felt so at peace. This was someone he trusted. He was his friend and something more. Mark didn’t feel like it was too much in this moment, sometimes he felt overwhelmed, but not while running his fingers through Haechan’s hair. The other was asleep. Mark knew that this was a proof to how much trust Haechan put in Mark. That he could sleep so soundly in his embrace. Mark felt proud of that and he smiled to himself.

He could hear someone approaching the tent, feet sinking into the moist earth and revealing their approach.

Taeyong went inside, he was trying to stay quiet, his moves slow and careful, but their eyes connected. Taeyong looked at Haechan and then Mark. A smile spread on his face and Mark used his free hand to shush the other. Taeyong wiggled his brows, before getting what he wanted from the tent and then going out again. Mark sighed, but the action of him doing so made Haechan stir in his sleep. Mark felt the other move away and Haechan rolled onto his back. Mark mindfully pressed the tip of his fingers to his ribs, they were still hurting. He may have fractured some of them.

Haechan moved again, this time coming closer to tug his head beneath Mark’s chin. Mark couldn’t help but smile, using his arm that ended up being beneath Haechan to wrap it around the other. It felt so nice, having him closer. Mark tried not to be overwhelmed by his emotions, and just enjoye this feeling. Of being loved and being safe.


 

  “Mark?” Ten’s voice sounded by the door of the tent and Mark and Haechan had to get up. Mark knew Haechan had been awake since waking up the first time, but none of them had wanted to get up. Mark threw off the blanket, the cold air embracing him and he swung his legs over the edge of the bed. He put on his socks first and then his boots.

Ten stepped away from the door of the tent when Mark exited. Haechan followed shortly after. Ten gave them a sheepish smile. This made the two eye each other.

  “We were sleeping.” Mark insisted. Ten nodded, but Mark could see in his eyes that he was thinking differently. Haechan smiled and Mark rolled his eyes at Ten, before speaking. “What is it?”

Ten blinked, eyes running over the map of the Fallen City, as he started explaining. There was a grim expression cling to the corners of his lips, dragging them down. “We went back in the early morning. Trying to see if Johnny had returned, but we heard the guards mention a search. That currently they were chasing down an intruder. A criminal. Described as tall with dark hair and golden skin.”

Mark immediately saw Jaehyun’s bodyguard in his mind. It was a good description of Johnny.

Ten looked at Haechan, then at Mark, before he spoke in a soft voice. “Johnny is in danger. He needs us.”

Haechan looked troubled, he was clearly worried about Johnny. He took a step back and leaning against the table on the tip of his fingers. “We’re well known in there. How could they ever say that Johnny is a criminal?” He asked, but it didn’t seem like he expected the other two to answer. Mark was chewing on his bottom lip, trying to come up with any possible explanation.

Ten reached out to give Haechan a comforting touch, the other’s shoulders relaxed at the touch. Ten leaned down to catch Haechan’s eyes. “You said it yourself. The uncle. Someone in there doesn’t want Jaehyun to return.”

Mark squinted and looked outside of the tent. The others were packing their things. “Then we better get in there fast. We need to hear what Johnny has learnt. Also, if that uncle thinks Jaehyun is returning; he will strengthen their defense and we probably don’t have much time, if we want to get in unnoticed.”

Haechan nodded, pushing himself off the table, Mark stood close to the other, but he didn’t lean away when Haechan turned his head to face him. Mark looked into Haechan’s eyes, sensing the other had a plan as well. “However,” Haechan began, glancing at Ten. “We need to go inside in small groups, can’t have a big one waddling inside without the word spreading. I know a way in. Taeyong surely does too.” Haechan explained. “I will be with Jaehyun. I want you to be with him too, you’re a strong fighter and he is most important.” Haechan pointed to Mark, before he started walking out of the tent. Some of the others were gathered close to the fire. They turned to look at the three, when they exited the tent. Mark was embraced by the cool hair and he ran a hand through his hair. It was oily and he knew he probably looked like a mess. Yet, there were no judging gazes from the others. They all looked at him with relief at seeing him up and walking.

Jaehyun gave Mark a small smile. Mark was relieved to see the other well after what they had been through yesterday. Yuta was in his tent. Mark wanted to visit him before he left.

Mark looked up at the silvery clouds above them. They stretched themselves over the sky but they had weight to drop, and they were full and blossoming. Mark sighed, inhaling air deep into his lungs. As they neared their goals and the inevitable danger, their world seemed to become gloomier with them, emphasizing how severe their situation was.

  “He hasn’t healed yet.” Jaemin explained, when he walked over with Doyoung. Mark looked at the two as they stopped in front of them. Jaemin looked worn and beaten. There were dark shadows underneath his eyes and a heavy pull to the corner of his lips. As if the fear he had felt yesterday, still lingered in his body and kept him vigilant. His eyes darted over the people that were listening to him, at last settling his eyes on Mark. “He’s healing fast, but I don’t think his leg will be good after this.”

Doyoung lowered his head after Jaemin had spoken, as if guilt gnawed at him. Doyoung and Yuta had known each other for a long time. Mark didn’t like the idea of Yuta being crippled because they lacked in defending him, and he knew Doyoung would be very frustrated.

The others looked grim. Taeyong wore a frown. “Some will need to stay.” He realized and few voiced disagreements, but Mark knew it was true. Yuta would need two more days to heal. If Johnny was on the run, they needed to get in there and help him.

Jaehyun eyed the tent where Yuta was resting. “How about a small group goes in to get Johnny out, then we go in together when we have more information about the state of the city.”

Mark and Taeyong agreed. Haechan was looking around at everyone to put together a group.

  “Not too many Damned.” He stated and Mark pursed his lips, not liking that they had to exclude some of their best fighters, but the other was right. Bringing in glowing eyes was a risk and the more glowing eyes, the bigger the risk. They couldn’t afford panic about the Damned attacking, when they wanted a peaceful reunion. It had to be people who could hide.

  “I’d like Taeyong and Mark with me. Jaehyun, you can’t be seen yet, I am sorry. Jeno you’re fast and strong, we need you with us. I think that is enough to find Johnny and get him out. We give Yuta one more day and then we have to go inside.”

 

 

Everyone agreed. Ten went with Jaemin to check up on Yuta. Taeyong, Jeno and Mark prepared to leave. They had to go while it was light out, as soon as darkness neared them, they had to be outside of the wall.

 

 

 

 

 

Haechan was waiting for them by the fire; he had finished packing his things. Mark walked over to him and gave his arm a touch. “Haechan, can’t Ten come with us?” He asked as he noticed Ten was by the fire with Doyoung now.

Haechan looked at Ten too, the other was wearing a smile, eyes bright when he watched Doyoung talk. “I think they need him here.” He said and then took Mark’s hand into his hands. “I brought Taeyong because he knows the place. You because I don’t think you would let us go in there alone. Also, Jaehyun wouldn’t accept it unless you’re with us. Jeno, because we need people without glowing eyes. Also he is a new face and he is strong.”

Mark nodded. “We need to stay low.”

Haechan smiled. “Can’t get caught. Just Johnny, then out of there. Actually I have a few things to say before we do go in there.”

 

 

 

 

 

Mark knew the others were ready and waiting for him. Yet he was walking along the tents, heading towards Yuta’s before leaving. He had bid his goodbye to all of them, promising they would return safely with Johnny by their side.

The smell of blood lingered in the air, iron filling his nostrils, together with herbs and alcohol. Jaemin had been carrying something on him. Used for medical purposes only. Mark was happy they all had what they needed to take care of each other. Falling ill after an animal attack or an accident wasn’t abnormal and happened often, death followed most times. Mark knew that in the days before the Last War, society could heal any wounds and any illnesses by joining forces and teaching people to help. They had so much research, but wasted it all. They could keep each other alive but greed made them kill each other instead. The fear of losing when sharing things with others, was too great for them. They were a weak-minded people, Mark thought. He wanted humanity to be better now.

 

Yuta was lying on bed, his eyes closed and breathing calm. His hands were gathered on his stomach, the left on top of the right. There were candles lighting up the place, and Jaemin was sitting in a chair in the other corner of the room. Reading through Lord Win’s journal and gathering all the information he needed.

Mark went over to sit on the stool by Yuta’s bed. Jaemin raised his gaze from the journal and watched Mark do so. Yet, he didn’t speak. When Yuta opened his eyes and noticed Mark’s appearance, Jaemin got up and left them to talk alone.

Yuta’s pants had been cut around his upper thigh so no material was in the way. His wound was bound in bandages, but spots of dark blood could be seen through the pale fabric. Yuta’s chest was also bound and a few cuts on his arms had been stitched. It seemed like the other was shivering slightly, so Mark grabbed the blanket and pulled it up over the other’s body. Yuta smiled, eyes watching Mark’s face.

  “I keep shifting between feeling too hot to freezing, so it goes on and off.” He explained. Mark must’ve worn a worried frown, revealing he was doubting if Yuta was well-taken care of.

The Blue Eyed Damned released a long sigh, but tried a smile to reassure Yuta. The other pushed his dark hair out of his eyes and looked intently at Mark.

  “I am not angry with you, Mark, nor do I blame you for what has happened to me. We miscalculated. You went out there risking yourself to get this Rox, and it came to us instead. We knew it was dangerous, and that was why we were eager to defeat it. We can’t always think that we’re smarter than the creatures surrounding us, because that isn’t true. It would be our weakness and our downfall.” Yuta’s eyes shifted between looking into each of Mark’s. His eyes glowed a faint red in the dim lighting. A benign look took over his features. “I am alive thanks to you. You came back and fought bravely, Mark. I admire you very much.” Yuta smiled and reached out for Mark’s hand. Mark let him hold onto him. He didn’t dare to speak, his throat felt tight and he didn’t trust his voice. Yuta’s skin was cold. “I see a bit of him in you. The passion and determination. Loyalty. Hansol was loyal and he faced danger head on. Like you do. Remember not to fight alone, but to have people with you. They got your back.”

Mark felt his chest constrict when Hansol was mentioned. “I didn’t have his back, Yuta.” He cried and Yuta shook his head.

  “You did, Mark.” He assured the other, raising his hand to cup Mark’s face. “You fought so hard. It was your first battle. Hansol had fought many. He knew the risk of protecting you. He wanted to. I respected that. You remember to respect that too. Saying it is your fault that he died, disrespects his memory and the fact that he chose this path. He fought bravely and hard. You didn’t put the blade in his chest, so don’t act like you did. Remember that.”

 

 

 

 

 

Mark lacked a few steps, as they started their trip to the gate, which Haechan knew would be the safest way to go through. Haechan knew Mark had visited Yuta, and was talking way more than he used to, entertaining Taeyong and Jeno to keep them from bothering Mark. Mark sensed that as soon as he had walked up to the group. Haechan’s eyes had looked into his and his lips had curled upwards, but Mark could read the understanding in the smile and the way Haechan’s eyes trailed the tear-tracks on Mark’s face. His warm hand had squeezed Mark’s arm, before Haechan started talking to the other two. Mark avoided their eyes, needing a moment to himself.

Yuta’s words had both healed a wound and opened it up. Mark felt empty, but relieved at the same time. Yuta wasn’t angry with him, and Mark knew Hansol wouldn’t have been either. Hansol had made a choice and he knew the risk. Mark should be honored to have fought along-side Hansol, and to have been fighting with such a great warrior. He was. Mark felt like his memory of Hansol was easier to pull forward now.

 

 

 

Their path took them onto concrete roads, but the buildings were worn down, and the woods had invaded them through windows and doorways. Haechan and Taeyong each pointed to a building before they scattered. They lowered themselves and ran with quiet steps. Jeno joined Haechan without even sharing a word with him. Mark decided to follow Taeyong. They were close to the city, which meant they could meet people. They could also be lucky to gather some much needed loot.

Mark entered the building through a window on the side. He was slow in his movements, sitting on the frame and swinging his legs over it with a grimace. His ribs protested this movement. There were still signs of the furniture that once had been decorating the rooms. Mark could see someone had camped there too. Not recently, but there was moldy blankets and leftover cans. Mark picked them up to read the worn labels. Beans. He read and grimaced at the smell they emitted. Taeyong was somewhere in the basement, making noise and scavenging. Mark decided to go upstairs and check if there were candles.

It was cold inside the building, and dark. Mark could see paintings had decorated the walls, and even found frames with pictures of a life before the war. A family of four had lived in the apartment he stood in. A father and mother and their two girls. Mark wondered if they survived the bombings or if they died immediately. Safe shelters and bunkers had kept people safe. Then the 1st generation started; made up of people born after the Last War. Mark was a part of the 5th generation after the Last War. The concrete buildings left from that life, were not the strongest anymore. So, Mark threaded the floors very carefully.

Mark found silverware in a drawer and decided to bring it outside with him, but not to take it with him to the city. It would be too noisy, so he hid it safely somewhere he would remember.

Haechan and Jeno came out after their search and found Mark by a bush. Haechan was carrying something as well.

  “Found 4 candles, two of them were halfway done, but we can make good use of them.” Haechan smiled and hid them with Mark’s bag. Mark took some time to look at Haechan, and it made the other look back at Mark a little sheepishly.

  “What?” He asked and Mark felt heat creep up his neck.

He shook his head. “Nothing.” He said and got up. Haechan stood too. Jeno was standing with his hands on his waist, squinting up at the clouds. After a few minutes Taeyong found them.

  “Oil.” He said and shook it. “Also found books that had been sealed in a cabinet and therefore, still intact!” He squealed excitedly and hid them with careful hands. “Ten is gonna love them.” He muttered and Mark blinked, but when Taeyong glanced at him, he acted as if he had not heard the other.

  “Let’s go.” Mark said when all of them were ready to leave.

 

 

 

 

Haechan stopped when they got close to the stone walls that surrounded the city. It was to keep Roxes out. There were doors at the gate, but no guards. Haechan turned around to face the others before they went inside.

  “This gate is unguarded because right on the other side there is-”

  “The Black Alley.” Taeyong realized with a gasp, as if he was remembering the streets and alleys of his home. Haechan nodded.

  “Yes, there is a watchtower right over there and they can see the gate from here. Yet, if we walk right there, we’ll be in a blind spot. We need to go beneath the gate. I’ll go first and check if it’s safe.” Haechan went quiet for a moment before he continued. “It was where Johnny, Jaehyun and I went through when we ran. There are a ton of junk on the other side of the gate, so we can go in without worrying about being in plain sight.”

The other three agreed to the plan, and Mark looked above the gate to the tall buildings in the distance. He was going inside the Fallen City. Mark felt a hand on his shoulder, the grip firm and he looked over his shoulder, meeting Taeyong’s gaze. “I’m with you.” Taeyong promised and Mark glanced at Jeno and Haechan. Jeno gave Mark a stern look, his black hair falling over his brows, yet Mark could see the strength in his eyes. Haechan’s eyes were fixed on the wall with a wistful gaze. He pulled his eyes off the buildings and looked at Mark.

Mark inhaled deeply, and looked at the others. “Let’s get Johnny out of there.”

 

 

 

A/N:

Hope this long chapter makes up for my lack of updates. Work suddenly needed most of my attention. I am back to reading King-In-Waiting again, one of my fav Taeten stories and the feeeeeeels. It inspired me to work on my writing and take things a little slow. Add some details and give more time to each character. 

Also happy Pride Month! I celebrated it by going to Pride with my best friend. Had a blast even though I was having an allergic reaction to my makeup and was crying none-stop, but I was happy! <3

Love,
Emma <3