008

DAMNED

Chapter 8.

Mark watched Doyoung greet Jaehyun with a bright smile and Jaehyun shyly shook the other’s hand. “I have dreams for you to interpret, your interpretations really impressed me last time.” Doyoung babbled on and Taeyong crossed his arms over his chest.

  “Doyoung.” He said voice managing to reach the two and Jaehyun looked taken aback while Doyoung turned towards Mark and Taeyong with wide eyes.

  “The Blue Eyed Damned.” Doyoung said and hurried over to Mark. Taeyong stepped closer to Jaehyun who stepped away. Mark couldn’t hear what Taeyong said but his lips moved and Jaehyun fixed his eyes on the ground. Doyoung stepped into Mark’s view. “I knew you would come to me some time.” He chirped and guided Mark with him to a corner for them to sit in. Doyoung brewed some tea while Mark thought of what to say.

 

 

  “Do you know more about my future?” He asked and Doyoung frowned slightly.

  “What do you mean?”

Mark worried on his bottom lip. “I feel like… I sense that there’s this tidal wave coming and I won’t be able to stop it. Something will happen and I want to be able to do something.”

Doyoung hummed. “Something is coming, you’re right about that.” He glanced towards Taeyong. “Something will happen, but some things are out of your control, Blue.” Doyoung gave Mark a look that reminded him of his mother. “You cannot save everyone.” He added and Mark looked at Jaehyun who was currently telling Taeyong a story. Taeyong though, was eyeing the exit of the tent.

  “I can at least try.”

Doyoung nodded with pursed lips. “Don’t lose yourself in it. Heroes often have more scars than villains.”

  “But who is the villain? And am I really destined to be a hero?” Mark questioned. “I don’t feel like a hero.”

 

Doyoung thought hard before answering. “There is more than one villain. There is also more than one hero. You’ll encounter people that deserve to be called heroes, but you will be the person to guide them, to stand in the very spotlight.” Doyoung reached out a hand, soft fingers holding onto Mark’s. “Don’t forget yourself in this. But it’s okay to break.”

 

 

 

 

 

Lord Win smiled kindly when Mark entered and Taeyong took Jaehyun with him back to the cave. Mark followed the taller into the room they were in yesterday. Mark sat down in a chair and looked at Lord Win who was now standing up, staring down at the table.

  “So what is your theory, my lord?” Mark asked and Lord Win’s lips curled up into a smile.

  “There is a boy.” He said. “A boy who has the blood of a commander. He was taken away as a baby, because this baby was too sick. As the boy grew older, training to be a commander, his uncle who’s son had taken the throne, wanted to kill this boy. But he was hidden in Clan 3. Actually people weren’t sure. So if you know your enemy’s immune system is low, why not spread a decease? As you said, the weak gets sorted out like weed. The strong remain.” Lord Win walked around the table to see Clan 3 better. “But the message, the letter that will be sent if the real commander died hasn’t been sent. He’s still alive.” Lord Win looked to Mark. “The son the commander has put on the throne is a lunatic. We need to get to him to stop the commander’s uncle from killing more innocent people, Mark. We need you to get past him. To reach the throne and free it so that the real commander can come and take the throne.”
Mark hummed. “But who will find the real commander?”

  “I’ll do that together with Kun, we’re fast and we know the area. We don’t need numbers to find him, you need numbers to fight Clan 1.” He smiled. “Clan 1 knows my fighting techniques. I can’t do much in there.”

Mark blinked, that sounded logical. “Doing this will stop the spread of the decease?”

  “Yes, if we stop the current commander who’s nothing but a mere puppet.”

Mark nodded. “I don’t want more people to get hurt.” He said and looked at the map. “I’m not good enough to fight yet.” He then said and stood. “I’ll have to practice harder.”

Lord Win smiled. “You would really do this? You don’t have to, Mark.” He said and Mark smiled to reassure the other.

  “If what you say is true. If Doyoung is right about my destiny, then I can do this.” He said and Lord Win looked relieved, he sighed and then blinked.

  “Let’s not keep you in here then. Remember to get some rest. Can’t focus if you haven’t slept.”

Mark felt the other wrap an arm around his shoulder and he realized as they walked, that this was what Lord Win had succeeded in. To give the Damned a purpose, something to strive for. Mark didn’t feel as lost now.

 

 

 

 

 

Mark sat in the cave, knees tugged under his chin and eyes on his feet as he thought everything through. Taeyong was talking with Hansol in the entrance of the cave, the setting sun coloring the sky behind them a play of orange, pink and red colors. Mark saw Taeyong’s eyes glow as he had his back to the sky facing the cave, while Hansol had his back turned to them. Ten and Johnny sat close together, their voices low and soft as they spoke.

  “No, no.” Ten said and reached in over Johnny’s hands, grabbing the thing he was holding. “Tie it like this and it won’t come off.” He said and Johnny looked up at Ten. The smaller’s eyes connected with Johnny’s and he gave Johnny a small smile and Johnny chuckled, eyes moving to the robes and he followed Ten’s instructions. Mark already knew but still glanced up to check if Taeyong was looking and he wasn’t surprised when he found Taeyong’s glowing eyes on the two 7th and 5th clan members. Jaehyun was busy writing or drawing in a notebook until he scooted closer to Johnny and Ten, leaning in over Johnny’s shoulder to see what they were doing. Mark closed his eyes, listening to their beating hearts and mind wandering off to another place.

 

 

 

 

 

 

  “You need to improve.” Taeyong said and Mark nodded, the sky was already bright as the dawn left them with the warming morning air. Taeyong patted Mark’s shoulder passing Ten who actually gave Taeyong a small smile before crawling over to Mark.

  “Lord Win…” He said in a low voice, eyes gleaming. “What does he say to you?” Ten took Mark’s hand in his. “What does he want from you?”

Mark looked at Ten’s hand holding his. For a moment he noticed his hand was already larger than Ten’s, but he knew he’d be frozen in this state for a long time. After hearing all the hints of immortality he feared he’d never fully reach his height and he was afraid of being caught in the body of a teenager. He wanted to live a normal life, find a life partner and work for his clan and serve the day and night as any other 7th clan member.

Ten pushed Mark’s bangs out of his face, fingertips resting on his temple for a short moment before they retreated. Mark looked at Ten who was smiling. “You’re so distant lately.”

  “You know I tend to daydream.” Mark said with a smile and Ten’s smile widened, he nodded.

  “Sometimes you would smile to yourself or snicker. I loved watching you when you thought I wasn’t looking.” Ten admitted and Mark gawped at him. Ten just chuckled and Mark let himself admire Ten’s beautiful smile. Home. Ten’s smile was a piece of home.

 

 

 

 

 

Mark and Ten wanted to go practice fighting, but there wasn’t much space in the cave. So Mark went towards the exit with Ten following, but they were stopped. Hansol’s hand flew out to grab onto Ten’s shoulder and push him back. Mark stepped in between them immediately.

  “Woah!” He said and looked at Hansol, Ten was also staring at the taller with wide eyes. “We’re going to practice. Right over there where you can see us.” Mark said and pointed towards the place where they practiced with Kun, near the large tree that leaned against a wall of rock.

Hansol shook his head. “He can’t leave.”

  “Why?” Ten asked and Mark did too, their voices echoing each other.

Hansol gave Mark a look, leaning a bit closer to him. “You know why.” He said through gritted teeth.

Mark gawped at him. “He can’t…”

Hansol laughed, leaning back while he did, but there was nothing happy about it. “He’s weak and must be protected.” He said with a grin and Ten’s eyebrows knit together, a look of hurt taking over his features. Mark felt a surge of energy burst through his chest and into his arms and before he knew it, he had grabbed Hansol’s collar.

  “Watch your mouth!” He hissed and Hansol gripped Mark’s wrists and forced them off him.

  “It’s the damn truth, and he’s just ing waiting for someone to come dominate him and taking him out there is making it all easier.”

Mark was outraged. His sight went red and the only thing he could do was hit and hit and hit. There were voices screaming his name, but they were distant and the pain distant too as he pushed Hansol that had gripped his jaw in pain. He knocked the taller to the ground, kicking him and gripping his collar to lift him up from the ground. Blood trickling down Hansol’s cheek and he coughed, blood spraying his pale cheeks and Mark looked into the other’s distant eyes.

  “Who’s weak?” He asked closing his hands around Hansol’s neck. The taller gripped his wrists. “Who’s-”

  “Mark!” Someone grabbed his shoulders and Mark snapped his head around to face the person. He saw his hometown, the hills of corn and the trees swaying in the wind. Ten tugged in Mark and the younger followed him, turning his back on Hansol who was gasping for air. Johnny and Jaehyun stood by the sleeping spots, not daring to go near them. Mark felt Ten’s warm hands caress his cheek and he was soothed into thinking more clearly. He remembered what he did in a rush. He had knocked Hansol into the wall, smashing his head against the stone and beaten him. Mark sighed and turned towards Hansol who glanced at him, still only gasping for air. Mark’s fingers curled around the front of Hansol’s shirt.

  “I won’t give into anger anymore.” He said. “But insult Ten again…” Mark let the sentence linger, waiting for the click in Hansol’s eyes and when he saw that the other understood he let go. “You keep underestimating me, Hansol.” He said to the other that tried to get up, but he grabbed his head with a groan. Hansol gave him a look before getting up, walking over to the entrance of the cave. He stood there for a moment before walking down the stairs and Jaehyun walked after him.

  “Hansol…” He gasped and Mark got up on his feet.

  “Don’t worry.” He said and Jaehyun looked back at him. “He’ll go to Yuta.”

Jaehyun’s hand on the wall slid down to hang loosely beside him and he looked at Mark before sighing. Mark’s gaze dropped to the ground, Hansol’s blood decorating it and Ten leaned into Mark’s side.

Mark may be different from the other Damned, but he didn’t feel like he was as in control of himself as everyone said. He’d never needed to be. Now he was standing with three people he wanted to protect and he realized that that wasn’t in his power.

The enemy was not only one person, it was the decease as well. Mark feared it would tear them all apart before they even got to find the right commander. 

 

 

 

A/N:

Eeeeeeey, look at me I'm updating early!

(I haven't really read it through, so I apologize if there was any mistakes <3)

Love,
Emma <3