032

DAMNED

(Check out the poster for this chapter. Here you can see all the Damned's eye colors!)

 

Chapter 32.

Mark woke up at early dawn. Yuta had taken over Jisung’s shift and was awake. Jisung was lying in the tree but this time passed out. Chenle always slept for long, Mark had noticed. He saw Doyoung pack his things and knew soon everyone would rise up and they would get going again. Mark was watching Jaehyun sleep when Renjun woke up with such a start, Jeno flew up unsheathing his weapon and even Johnny and Haechan awoke.

  “I’m okay!” Renjun assured the other, and Jeno put down his sword, a hand coming up to caress Renjun’s face. Renjun closed his eyes and smiled at Jeno, who seemed to calm down. Mark looked at Jaemin whose eyes had opened, and he looked at his surroundings before slowly sitting up, one hand gripping onto his shoulder. Sleep still lingered in his eyes, but as he scanned everyone it dawned on him where he was. Mark was sure the other would still be surprised to wake up to this mess a week more. Mark had also been having a hard time to get used to the fact that he was Damned too.

Mark looked at Haechan who was ruffling his hair. The other sat with his head low for a while before he looked up. His eyes looked at Mark and Mark was about to talk to him when Haechan sent him a small smile before getting up. It left him just sitting there with his mouth open and he watched Haechan quickly pack his stuff before Haechan got up and walked over to Johnny. Mark tilted his head to the side and sat for a moment just thinking. Haechan had suddenly seemed so closed off. Why?

 

 

Mark looked at Johnny whose eyes followed Haechan and the two spoke in low voices. Mark listened.

  “Let’s not wake him up just yet.” Haechan said. Clearly talking about Jaehyun and Johnny nodded.

Haechan made a movement to stand up again but Johnny grabbed his wrist. “It’s for the best.” He said and Mark glanced at them. Haechan pressed his lips together and glanced in Mark’s direction but he quickly stood and Johnny let him go. Mark eyed Johnny’s expression. The other looked regretful, and he looked towards Ten, who was waking up. Mark sat for a moment, before he remembered Jaehyun and Haechan talking together the night before. The way Haechan kept his eyes closed and slept… Mark chuckled to himself, he felt bitter. It would disappoint Ten.

But definitely not more than it disappointed Mark.

 

 

 

 

 

Mark walked beside Jaehyun. It forced Johnny and Haechan to stay in the back. Jaehyun did not look too surprised by the fact that Mark was glued to his side.

  “I’ll be okay, Mark.” He said and Mark gave him a look that told him to shut up. Mark was angry, and Jaehyun blinked in surprise but once again looked like he had expected it. They reached the ladder that would take them to the ground and the bodies of the Wrous were still there but something had been feeding on them. Most of the group covered their mouths and noses as they quickly got out of there.

Mark could walk normally, his body had healed quickly, and Yuta who had predicted the time he would feel better was proud to be right. The group walked on the ground, and Mark looked up at Jisung and Ten who swung their way above them. He did not join them.

Jaehyun had a blanket around his shoulders and he kept wiping his forehead. Mark saw flashes of Renjun when he was ill. Mark did not like where this was going. The odds were not in their favor. How could Jaehyun’s heart survive this illness? It was made to kill him.

 

 

 

At the end of the woods and the 7th Clan, Jisung suddenly came flying down. Ten took a calmer way down but Jisung threw himself off a branch and he landed feet first but sent himself rolling forwards before he got up. He had leaves stuck in his hair, but he didn’t seem to mind. “I see smoke in the distance. Someone has made a camp.”

  “Not in the open space.” Mark stated and pointed towards the fields that they were going to face.

Ten shook his head. “No, it’s in the woods further ahead. Far away.”

  “It could be some of the other clans.”

  “You know they retreated far away from us.” Chenle said and everyone picked up speed to get to the end of the woods. They could see the smoke rise up in the woods on the other side of them. Johnny came up beside Jaehyun.

  “Lord Win was supposed to meet us, right? Did he actually think we’d meet him with open arms?”

Doyoung came closer and stood behind Mark. “We have to go that way to get to the 1st Clan. Camping there is intentional.”

  “So it’s Lord Win.” Mark stated and some nodded, others grimaced. None of them were excited to see Lord Win.

Except Chenle.

  “I’m ready.” He grinned and Jisung looked at him before jabbing his elbow into Chenle’s side.

  “You’re unbelievable.” He muttered and Chenle wrapped an arm around Jisung’s shoulders. He was smiling and Jisung rolled his eyes.

 Mark eyed the smoke before he started walking and the others followed him.


Haechan had not spoken a word to him.

 

 

 

 

 

As they stopped to eat lunch and re-fill their water bottles by the stream carving through the landscape, Haechan sat with Johnny and Jaehyun. Mark did not even notice Ten sit down beside him. “I don’t even want to ask why.” He said while stuffing dried meat into his mouth. Mark turned to look at Ten. The other looked bitter.

  “I think I know why.” He said and lowered his gaze to the ground. He picked at the grass, a cool breeze blowing past them. He looked at Haechan again, then at Jaehyun, then at Johnny. Love. Did they deem it unworthy or why… why could they not just let it happen? Why should they pretend when it did not matter. Mark did not understand.

Ten’s fingers brushed over Mark’s forehead. “You look angry.”

  “I am angry.”

  “Focus.” Ten commanded and Mark inhaled deeply and nodded. “I guess, we have more important things to worry about.” He said, but Mark could see Ten just rather wanted to be in love and fool around. To not care about wars and commanders. Mark dreamt of it too. Peace.


But there were no peace. Not yet.

 

 

 

 

 

They entered woods that were different than the one taking up most of the 7th Clan. The trees were low and there were lots of bushes, at times a clearing, but it was dense.

  “Wrous…” Jeno spoke walking ahead of Mark. “They only stay in the woods in your clan, right?”

Mark looked back at him. Jaemin and Renjun walked beside Jeno. Jaemin seemed to recognize the name. Mark shrugged. “Never heard of them being an issue besides to us.” He said and referred to him and Ten. Jisung nodded and then eyed the bushes and shadows. Mark did as well. “They’re too big to move around in these woods, I guess they like the space we have in our woods.”

  “We could still meet a Rox.” Chenle pointed out and everybody gave him a look. Chenle raised his hands up. “Sorry.”

Jisung turned around to face Chenle as he walked backwards, he took long steps so he was in the lead.

  “I swear, Chenle, if we mee-”

Chenle was quick. He sprang forwards and ripped Jisung away from the spot he stood in, before his body was locked between the jaws of a giant monstrous being. The whole group froze on the spot, everyone looking at the creature in front of them. It had brown fur but was full of bald spots, the skin red and inflamed. It was built like a bear, but the worst part was its face. The skin around its snout was scraped off revealing its pale skull. The eyes were glazed over as if it was blind. Mark realized quickly that it was, but it could sense them, because even with Jisung being gone it went for Jeno next.
Renjun jumped into the way and both of them got swept off the path and into the bushes. Ten screamed. Mark was next. He looked at the creature as it rose up on its hind legs and was ready to crush him. Then he his heel and ran.

Ten sprang aside to avoid being hit, and Johnny went to the front while Yuta had his bow out. Mark ran for Jaehyun who looked so pale in the gloomy light. Haechan’s gaze connected with Mark’s.

  “Get him out of here!” Mark commanded, he gripped onto Haechan’s and Jaehyun’s arms, but then they heard a thump, and they looked back at the creature as it charged through the group. Coming straight for them.

Mark dragged them with him off the path, and they ran through bushes while they heard the creature following them. Jaehyun stumbled over everything but Mark had such a strong grip on him that Jaehyun never fell.

Mark could hear the trickling sound of a stream and he ran towards the sound.

It was a wide river, but it was shallow. Mark looked at Jaehyun, sweat ran down his face and his brown eyes were looking at Mark, fear evident in them. Mark noticed Haechan raise his sword, but then lower it again. “This thing won’t work.” He muttered as they heard the beast charge through the woods. Mark looked at the cold water and then stepped into it. “If it goes for us because of smell. Water should conceal us. If goes for us because of movement, if we hide behind that trunk in the water we’ll be safe. But no matter what we have to hide because-”

Haechan looked at Mark. “Jaehyun can’t run.” Haechan finished the other’s sentence. “I know.” He said grimly. Jaehyun looked like he was going to pass out, but he pressed his lips into a thin line and followed Mark into the cold water. Then they hurried towards the other side. It went up to their thighs and Mark shuddered, but lowered himself into the water with the other two. They held onto the branches of the fallen tree and hid there before it came.

 

 

Seeing it in the brighter light Mark shivered, not because of the cold water hugging his legs, but because of fear. The fact that the skull was visible was a sight of nightmares and Mark couldn’t believe that such a creature existed.

It rested its heavy paw on one tree, standing on its hind legs as it turned its head from one side to the other. Mark frowned, gripping onto the branches of the fallen tree. Why was it doing that? Did it sense them because of smell? Sight? Or was some other sort of senses its weapon? Mark sunk deeper into the water and noticed Jaehyun and Haechan copy him.

The Rox fell onto all fours again, lowering its head to the water. Mark reached out a hand to grip onto Haechan’s shoulder. A call for the two beside him not to move. The creature lowered its head into the water, eyes just above, but Mark was sure it was blind. The creature suddenly raised its head, sending droplets through the air and Mark felt Jaehyun startle. The creature inhaled deeply and turned its head towards the trees and the rest of their group. Then it released a low sound and Mark stared in disbelief as the creature didn’t run back, but ran along the river. Then suddenly it charged into the woods and Mark felt fear strike his heart. It was as if it knew where exactly the others were.

 

Haechan grabbed Jaehyun and pulled him up on dry land. Mark kept his eyes on the other side, but followed.

  “We can’t go back.” He told the other two. Haechan gave him a look, Mark didn’t waste a second to glare right back. “Don’t.” He said through gritted teeth. His emotions that raged inside of him were all in the grip of one emotion: Fear. He could not waste a second on whatever had went wrong between the two of them, all they needed to do was get the away from that thing.

  “But the others?” Haechan asked and Mark shook his head and pointed towards Jaehyun. The commander had collapsed on the ground, only held up by Haechan’s hands on his shoulders. Haechan bit his bottom lip, then he nodded. “Johnny can take care of them.” He said, but it sounded like he was reassuring himself and not the other two. Mark nodded and helped Haechan get Jaehyun on his feet. The two of them followed the river, knowing that was the way, they all had wanted to go.


 

 

They heard faint screams. It made Mark and Haechan’s feet stop and both looked over their shoulders. Jaehyun was getting heavier and Mark looked to Haechan, but the other avoided his eyes. Mark sighed and started walking again.

  “Here, there’s a bridge.” Mark pointed at a concrete bridge crossing the river that started to have more force as they walked along it. They walked up on a road and both of them knew what this meant. They were close to the 1st Clan. These were the roads of the time before the Last War.

  “Before we meet the others.” Mark spoke as they walked across the bridge. “Please tell me why, you’re suddenly ignoring me.”

Haechan was quiet. Too quiet. Mark wanted to settle Jaehyun down and face Haechan, but suddenly he felt Jaehyun walk by himself, and he was forced to follow. He eyed the other who kept his head low and eyes on the world ahead. Jaehyun was clearly exhausted and in pain. He looked just like Renjun had done.


The road seemed to vanish into the ground. The woods had taken over and they had to find a path through the earth instead. Mark was sure they were close to where they’d seen the smoke rise. Maybe too close. They needed to wait for the others.

 

 

A clearing opened up before them. The trees reached up towards the sky and the grass was tall and green. Mark reached the middle of it before he stopped. He held onto Jaehyun in order to make the other two stop as well.

  “We rest here.” He told them with finality in his voice. Haechan had his eyes on the ground. Jaehyun collapsed. Mark inhaled deeply through his nose. “Can we please talk?” He asked Haechan, but the other shook his head, eyes still lowered. Mark sighed and opened his mouth.

 

 

  “You thought I was stupid?”

 

 

Haechan’s eyes snapped up to meet Mark’s. None of them had spoken. Neither had Jaehyun.

Haechan unsheathed his sword and Mark grabbed the hilt of his own, looking around in the trees for the person who had spoken.


  “You should’ve killed me, Mark.”


Haechan and Mark faced the person and both of them changed their stance, ready to fight. Because the person in front of them; was the person who was the most dangerous to Jaehyun right now.


 

It was Kun.

 

 

  “He’s the commander, isn’t he?” Kun asked while walking into the clearing. He had changed clothes and Mark noticed a purple mark on his neck. He had met with Lord Win. Which meant they were very close to the camp since Kun had found them. Mark noticed Kun’s eyes on Jaehyun. “Well, it’s almost a pity to end his life now. Look at you, Jaehyun, you’re on the brink of death anyway.”

  “Shut up!” Haechan yelled. “You’re not going to fight Mark anymore. You’re fighting me and I am not afraid of killing you.”

  “I should’ve known.” Kun said with a smile on his face, but his eyes were reading them, he was thinking and Mark lowered his sword a little, glancing back at Jaehyun. Kun wouldn’t stop before Jaehyun was dead. Mark glanced around him and realized, it was the clearing Doyoung had spoken about.

 

 

Jaehyun would die here.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Yo guys, we're finally reaching some parts that I planned while writing the very beginning of this. I never thought I'd get here, but it's so cool to think you can pick up something you had given up on and finish it. We still have a long way to go friends, but we're getting there! <3

I posted two new stories: STYRKE (Gang!au) and The Wolf Gang (Wolf!au)

 

You can go check them out! <3 

Love,
Emma <3