002

DAMNED

 

Chapter 2.
 

They were through the gates. In that moment Mark was confused, because as soon as you enter the gates you’re no longer a part of your clan, but the leader of your clan must be there to confirm it. Ten and the two other live 5th clan members weren’t damned but they would be risking the decease when they were surrounded by Damned. Mark actually wasn’t too sure if they even were able to pass the decease on. Would they be thrown out of their clans now that their people feared them carrying the decease? Or would the 7 clans under the Commander go into war against the Damned that now had broken the only rule they needed to keep: Not pass their borders.

Mark heard hissing voices and he looked around, trying to catch any sounds or smells that could give him any sense of where he was. Someone laughed, the sound was cold.

Mark felt a shiver run down his spine and suddenly aggression made him act before he could think. He used his knee to kick the Damned who carried him in the chest and the Damned groaned in pain and collapsed. Mark stood, stepping away and looked around. He still couldn’t see. He stood still and listened. The Damned he had attacked still gasped for breath on the ground.

  “Night Soldier, what are you doing?” Taeyong groaned while stepping closer. Mark turned around to face him.

  “What is to be done with us?” He asked and stepped back when Taeyong came too close.

Taeyong laughed again and Mark wanted to lash out, but he wasn’t sure if Taeyong was in leg’s length. Taeyong began talking and Mark heard Ten whimper and he knew it was a warning. Mark avoided the attack from Taeyong. “Oh you’re quick!” Taeyong gasped. “Almost the speed of a Damned.” He said and Mark realized he had to focus on moving slower. Then Taeyong spun around. “You just warned him!” He gasped and went over to Ten who whimpered something. Mark knew he was once again avoiding Taeyong’s touch. He stepped closer, wanting to grab Taeyong and pull him away. Taeyong stood and Mark froze. “Set him down.” He told the one carrying Ten and Ten yelped when he was thrown down. Taeyong made sounds and Mark analyzed it to be that Taeyong stepped closer and grabbed Ten’s shirt. “Did anyone of you see his eyes?” He asked.

The guy who had carried Mark answered. “I didn’t see it.” He panted and stood.

Taeyong cursed beneath his breath. “I want to see them.” He said. “But you will open your eyes, I know that.” He spoke softly, voice muffled and Mark heard shuffling and knew Ten was trying to push Taeyong off him. So his eyes were still closed. For now it was what kept them all alive.

Taeyong sighed. “I’ll carry him, Hansol, take the Night Soldier.” He commanded and Ten whimpered when he was lifted up and thrown over Taeyong’s shoulder.

Mark readied himself when the guy, who carried him also going by the name Hansol, came towards him. Mark turned around and blocked a blow and Hansol growled. “Just ing let it happen, dude!” He said in a strained voice as Mark kicked him over the knee and fled from the other’s touch.

  “If you don’t stop I will break this beautiful boy’s neck.” Taeyong spoke softly and Mark froze. This gave Hansol time and he wrapped his arms around Mark and threw him over his shoulder, holding onto his legs and Mark let the other carry him without fighting. Ten cried out what sounded to be his name. Mark turned his head in Ten’s way.

  “I’m okay.” He said and Ten answered with a muffled ‘good’.

 

 

They were taken into some sort of tent or building. It was warmer and the air smelled of burned wood and Mark guessed they were bad at leading the smoke out of the room. Still a slight breeze swept past his legs and by the sound of the door flapping when it was pushed aside, it could only mean that they were inside a tent. Mark was put down, he stood on his feet and felt relieved by the blood leaving his head. He heard the other boys cry out when they were thrown down, but Ten’s voice was left out and Mark heard him be settled onto the ground softly.

Mark was harshly pushed forward by Hansol and he guessed the two of them wouldn’t become friendly even when they figured out that he was one of them. He stepped forward, listening closely and finding Ten by letting his fingers brush over the other’s left shoulder. Someone was breathing down his neck and Mark dropped to his knees. Taeyong stood right behind Ten. Ten leaned close to Mark, his head resting on Mark’s shoulder for a second. Then he pulled away, still his hand found Mark’s and held it tight.

  “What is this?” A deep voice asked and Mark felt his heart tremble, there was darkness and power in that voice. It was intimidating in itself and Mark wouldn’t even dare look at the face it belonged to.

  “Remember the prophecy?” Taeyong asked, his voice not as cocky now. “The one about the Blue Eyed Damned?” Taeyong sounded excited. “He who had the power to bring down a commander and control his own shadow?”

  “Yeah I remember the prophecy that Doyoung spoke of. He was destined to die at our gates.”

Taeyong chuckled. “I made sure that didn’t happen.” He said and Mark nearly gagged at how proud Taeyong sounded. “He ran though with a live one and when I reached the 5th clan’s outer borders 4 boys were gathered. I took them all.”

Taeyong suddenly shuffled his feet. The deeper voice spoke. “You took what?”

  “The boys, they were standing in light and I couldn’t see which one of their eyes shone.” Taeyong’s voice was right behind Mark when he fell on his knees. “My Lord, I know I’m your best soldier, but the Blued Eyed Damned is destined to stand beside me. We need him.”

  “Yeah, but now you’ve just broken our only rule and managed to get all eyes on this land! How could we ever sneak into war with every clan looking at us?! Especially the 5th clan! Bring these boys back immediately!”

  “We need to find him amongst them.” Taeyong’s voice trembled. Mark had feared him before, but right now when he heard Taeyong’s voice like that, he couldn’t help but fear this Lord even more.

  “Then open their eyes!” He roared.

  “I will!” Taeyong stood and Mark guessed that he bowed at the sound of his clothes. “But my Lord, I don’t think they will come back for the boys.” He then added in a cooler voice.

One of the boys whimpered. Mark felt Ten grip his hand even harder.

Taeyong continued. “They’ve been brought to our land, they’re cursed now. They will probably get the decease soon.”

Ten trembled and Mark squeezed his hand.

  “So if they want so survive and get out of here before they’re infected, they should open their eyes and get over with it.” Taeyong said and Mark caught a hint in his voice.

  “Don’t listen!” He yelled and Ten jumped. “It’s a trick, they won’t let you out of here!”

  “Shut up, Night Soldier!” Taeyong yelled and kicked Mark in the back of the head. Mark fell forward, groaning and Ten stretched out his hands for Mark, pulling him to sit up again.

  “You’re okay?” Ten whispered and Mark nodded, he wouldn’t let Taeyong get him this easily. He hadn't noticed when Taeyong had ungagged the boys, but he was happy to hear Ten speak.

Taeyong sighed. “My Lord, let me take them to my tent and I’ll come back with a report when I’ve found the Blue Eyed Damned.”

This pleased the deep voice. “I haven’t heard the sound of torture in a long time… Still, if we’re to send them back do avoid too much trouble, just make them open their eyes, try to give them few bruises.”

The boys from the 5th clan whimpered and tried to speak as they were dragged off. Even then it sounded as if none of them would open their eyes no matter what. Mark was unsure. He could pull the silk covering his eyes off at any time, but this would reveal the others. They would eventually give in to torture. Mark decided that he wouldn’t let them suffer. He would take it off at the right time.

 

 

It was cold outside, and Mark hated how strong Hansol’s grip on his shoulder was. Taeyong pulled Ten away from him, Ten softly pleading to stay with Mark. Taeyong wanted none of that.

They reached a tent that oddly enough smelled of fresh herbs. Lemon, it smelled a lot like lemon, which was a rare fruit.

Taeyong had noticed them breathe in deeply and smell the air. “I kept the seeds dried until I came here. They need to be grown in a warm place, so they grow in here. You could open your eyes and see them if you want to.”

One of the 5th clan members chuckled. It wasn’t the velvety voice, but the one who had come to talk to them first.

Taeyong sighed dramatically deep. “I must admit you don’t have ugly faces, the decease didn’t mark any of you, which is odd. Many damned look like .”

  “Others… like me… look pretty great.”

Mark snickered. “I bet.”

  “Oh Night Soldier I’m getting pretty tired of you, you know.” Taeyong went over to Mark and his fingers brushed over the silk covering Mark’s eyes. “You do really well with not seeing, still, what if this was just all an act?” He pulled slightly at the silk.

  “For his sake I’ll keep my eyes closed.” Mark said with a slight smirk. “Letting you see my eyes that could be blind or blue, that would ruin the fun.”

Taeyong sighed. He had sighed a lot, Mark noticed. “Then let’s have some fun. Let me know your names.”

Mark frowned, should he let them know his name?

  “J-Jaehyun.” The velvety voice said and Taeyong gasped.

  “Say something.” He said and walked over to Jaehyun.

  “What sh-should I say?”

  “Your voice is beautiful… Your face too.” Taeyong stepped away. “I could earn great money from selling you guys.”

  “Selling?!” The other 5th clan boy exclaimed. “What kind of society do you have?”

Taeyong was smiling when he spoke. “None.”

Taeyong got his way with it and the other 5th clan boy revealed his name which was Johnny. Ten revealed his name after Taeyong had grabbed his chin and done something to Ten which included his voice to be somehow muffled. Mark felt like lashing out once again but Hansol kept him still.

  “Ten.” Taeyong wondered. “Why Ten?”

Ten was looking down when he spoke softly. “Because I was born on the 10th clear day in Cold when the weather was nice and clear and not too cold.”

Taeyong gasped. “Named after the weather. Oh how adorable!”

  “Night Soldier, what’s your name.”

Mark gritted his teeth and curled his hands into fists, never had he expressed anger before. He was a boy to be cheerful and polite. He had snapped before but he had never experienced his body shake with anger. Was this what the decease did to the Damned. Ruined something within them so that they couldn’t control their emotions?

He raised his head, guessing that he was facing Taeyong. “Mark.”

Taeyong hummed. “A powerful name.”

  “I mark the end of the dry season.” Mark said.

Taeyong chuckled and it sent a shiver through Mark. “Yeah, this season isn’t going to be boring and dry. Some interesting things will happen.”

Mark turned his face to look down and away from Taeyong. He could hear a rumble in the skies far away. Rain would come soon.

Taeyong hadn’t spoken but when Ten whimpered Mark jumped and spun around in the direction of where he had heard Ten. An odd sound reached him. Ten then suddenly growled and a thump was heard and then Taeyong groaned in pain. “Fierce.” Taeyong gasped and Ten heaved in breaths.

  “Don’t you dare touch me with your filthy mouth!” Ten hissed and Mark stepped towards Ten, pulling Hansol, who had been turning his attention somewhere else, with him. Hansol tripped and then gripped Mark’s arm harshly.

Mark hissed in pain and reached out to feel Ten standing beside him. The other gasped but then sensed Mark’s presence.

Taeyong brushed dirt off of his clothes. “You’ll open your eyes…” He said and Mark gasped when Ten was harshly pulled out of his grasp. Ten was thrown to the ground, but it wasn’t hard, it sounded soft wherever he landed. Mark’s eyes widened when Ten suddenly released a high pitched scream.

  “No!” He screamed and Mark heard them fight each other. What was Taeyong doing? Ten’s voice was muffled and Mark felt his blood run cold. Was Taeyong forcing himself upon Ten?

Mark was too quick for Hansol once again, sending a knee to Hansol’s groin and the guy collapsed. Mark ran towards the sound and sprang upon someone and felt after Taeyong’s hair and he grabbed it and pulled the other with him. Taeyong roared. Mark defended himself from a blow and then stepped back and around, putting himself between Taeyong and Ten.

Then Taeyong quickly stepped forward and back, but in the same time he snatched off the silk covering Mark’s eyes and Mark kept his eyes closed. Taeyong was panting. “Open your eyes.”

Mark didn’t move. If Taeyong would do the same to the other boys as he was going to do to Ten… he had to save them from that humiliation.

Mark inhaled deeply and then opened his eyes. He saw a boy with wild black hair and a piercing gaze look at him, the gaze was wide and full of awe. The boy reached out towards what would be Hansol who was getting up. His hair was blond but his eyes harsh as he sent a glare in Mark’s direction. Then he took the torch that hung in the room and killed the fire in a bowl of water. Mark saw everything clearer than he had ever done at night. He also saw a pair of white glowing eyes ahead of him and a pair of red ones beside the other.

Taeyong gasped. “I knew it.”

Mark’s eyes glowed a bright blue.

The 5th clan members had opened their eyes too. “What…” Johnny gasped and Ten sniffled and moved to stand up behind Mark who was still staring into Taeyong’s white glowing eyes.

  “So the legend is true.”

Mark gritted his teeth. “But I will never fight for you!”

Taeyong laughed. “Oh you will, you’re one of us, remember?”

Mark felt it dawn upon him. Taeyong was right, they were his new clan, the people behind him had abandoned him the moment his heart didn’t stop and he kept breathing. Death had failed to claim him, and that meant he was something even worse than death. He was damned.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

You Jaeyong shippers are desperate haha <3 Aw I love you guys, I ship them too, but I think I'll just let the characters go and then see who fits with each other and who doesn't. We'll be introduced to Johnny and Jaehyun some more in the other chapters, right up til now Mark haven't been able to see them, and could only judge them by the sound of their voices. 
BUT HE HAS OPENED HIS EYES. (I seriously can't stop comparing it to The 7th Sense and it really wasn't my intention. lol)

Hope you enjoy this!^^

What do you think of the charaters? Taeyong seems like a real jerk doesn't he? 

See you next week! <3