013

DAMNED

Chapter 13.

 

It took Mark a few days to get back to at least talking. Johnny wasn’t saying much, his kind being had retreated into himself just like Mark had done. Even Ten couldn’t comfort the other. Jisung was practicing with Taeyong and standing guard. Taeyong was on a search for new guards amongst friends he had in the clan. Ten tried to treat Taeyong a bit more gently, but he was mostly trying to take care of Mark.

 

 

 

 

  “Mark,” Taeyong called out and Mark’s gaze looked at him. “I’ve got someone who wants to greet you. He’s called Chenle.” Taeyong spoke carefully and clearly. “He is a unique Damned as well. His eyes are neon yellow .”

Mark blinked, he hadn’t been in shock like the first day, he’d just been unwilling to live and now something caught his attention. He was interested for the first time, after all they’d tried to throw at him. Mark blinked when he saw Chenle, he didn’t know what he had expected but definitely not a smiling little kid with messy short hair.

  “I’m Chenle!” He beamed. “At your service!”

Taeyong groaned, “don’t talk to him like that.” He almost begged rather than demanded. Mark looked at the hand Chenle had reached out for him to shake. Ten came forwards, ready to explain that Mark probably wouldn’t listen.

Mark grabbed onto Chenle’s hand and shook it. “Have you killed a man?” He asked and everybody froze. Johnny who had been lying in his bed with his back turned to them sat up. Jisung dropped a bowl and it crashed onto the floor. Chenle’s eyes widened.

  “I-” He started glancing at the others, noticing their shocked faces. “Yes I have.” He replied. “4.”

Mark pulled back his hand and eyed Chenle. “Then you can stay.” He said and got up from where he had been sitting. “Do you want to practice fighting with me?” He asked and Taeyong’s jaw dropped before stepping out of Mark’s way.

Chenle smiled so wide his eyes turned into thin lines. “Always!”

 

 

 

 

Jisung followed the two outside. The Damned didn’t fear being attacked, Mark heard them mention that word had travelled through the camp. People spoke of Hansol with awe and they had to give Mark respect for his performance. Mark couldn’t believe they called whatever happened “performance.” He hated every fiber within himself for killing, even if that was what Kun had prepared him to do all this time.

Chenle wasn’t taller than any of them. His cheeks were slightly hollowed, as if he was in his teens, but Mark couldn’t pinpoint his age. Chenle seemed to have a lot of energy and it kind of affected Jisung who kept chuckling to himself at Chenle’s odd gestures. Mark felt out of place.

  “I wish I could’ve seen your fighting!” Chenle rambled on. “Even I don’t think I co- or maybe I could – people always held me back because I look cute. I’m from the bloody 3rd clan, we unknown to a lot, fight off this God damned clan called Montan, and they are savages!” Chenle leaned over in Mark’s direction when he said the last part and Mark stepped away from the other. “They and kill.” He said, but it was as if he just constantly smiled while telling about this terrible clan Mark hadn’t heard of. “Montans are bastards. We the 3rd Clan are explorers, that’s why we’re united under the Commander, makes it easier for us to travel, but the Montans’ borders are like stretched across where we travel and they come at you at night.”

Mark looked at Jisung to see how he reacted and he seemed caught up in the story, eyes wide and staring at the ground while walking.

  “They tried to my sister.” Chenle said. “They were Damned.” Chenle said. “Their eyes glowed and I had never seen such cruelty before in my life. My brother’s wife slaughtered. He begged for his life.” Chenle’s cheery expression had finally dropped. It was grim for a short moment, then he smiled again and it made Mark feel sick. “They may be fast but darkness has always been a place where I strive. Killed 2, rest was killed by my mom and dad. The next person I killed was when I woke up from Death. Happened to be my cousin, too bad.” He grimaced. “Next one was here. thought they could steal from me because I’m small.”

Mark fiddled with the sleeve of his shirt as they stopped at the vast space where Kun and Mark had always practiced. Mark didn’t want to fight Chenle. He seemed absolutely unpredictable.

  “I’ve learned to cope with not caring at all.” He said as if he had read Mark’s expression. “It’s not the healthiest way Doyoung tells me. Taeyong told me too after stopping me from making my 5th kill. Let your emotions out, not just anger. He is such an emotional guy, but you don’t get by if you’ve seen your family die and let yourself be swallowed by grief. You don’t.” Chenle said and chuckled a little nervously before smiling stiffly. “So are we gonna fight or not?” He asked and Mark shrugged.

 

  “Sure.” He said and stepped away from Chenle, he wanted to create distance between himself and the other. Test out what kind of speed the other had; if he could fight from a distance or was an up-close guy. Kun was distant; kicks was his strength. He managed to immobile Mark from afar without having to get close and wrestle. If Chenle was better at wrestling Mark needed to learn again. Taeyong was up close, but Chenle was different from Taeyong because he disconnected himself from emotions like Kun. A new opponent. More to learn.

Jisung crossed his arms over his chest, a smirk drawing at the corner of his mouth as he watched them. Chenle winked at Jisung who blinked in surprise. Mark was amused by Jisung’s reaction, yet he didn’t have time to chuckle. Chenle, using Mark’s short distraction, charged quick and swiftly. Mark tried to step away but Chenle tackled him to the ground with a laugh.

Mark tried to push at the other to get the smaller off him, but Chenle had his arms around Mark and used his strength to tighten his grip and Mark’s ribs were being pressed. Mark groaned out in pain and grabbed onto Chenle, sending his knee to Chenle’s side with full force and Chenle let go and avoided Mark sending two more kicks in his direction. Chenle rubbed his side while Mark hugged his torso. Chenle grinned. “I may not have killed but I’m good at breaking ribs.” He breathed before putting his arms out as if ready again.

Mark inhaled and exhaled deeply to calm himself. “I can feel that.” He cocked a brow and Chenle threw his head back with a laugh. He was pretty, Mark had to admit. Yet, he used that to his advantage. Mark was impressed by the other.

Chenle took one step forward with a playful look on his face. Mark didn’t know if he should laugh or be frightened by this expression. It was kind of scary. Chenle once again charged and Mark stepped aside but Chenle got a fistful of Mark’s clothes in his hand and pulled Mark close. Mark blocked a punch with his arm. He tried to kick Chenle to create distance again. Chenle wrapped his arm around Mark’s leg to lock him in position. Mark raised his other to kick and used his whole body to spin around. Chenle ducked and let go. Mark landed on all fours, back facing Chenle and he tried to turn around, but Chenle was too quick. Mark gasped when Chenle threw himself upon him, arms around Mark’s unprotected throat and Mark choked when Chenle tightened his grip. Mark’s reflexes kicked in and he grabbed onto Chenle’s arms, the other was laughing into his ear. Mark fell onto the ground, inhaling a mouthful of dust, seeing red and for a moment panicking.

He saw her blue eyes. He heard her scream. Saw her fall.

Mark saw flashes of his bloody hands when he touched Hansol’s chest, the body unmoving, not indicating any breaths, so still and so quiet.

He heard Jaehyun screaming out the names of his friends that had betrayed him.

His dagger pierced the chest of a person, a living and breathing person, now gone.

Hansol’s heart did not beat, his eyes didn’t glow. His friend was dead.

Mark rolled onto his back with Chenle beneath him, he kicked against the ground and got himself pushed up so that he could ram his heel down at Chenle’s crotch. Chenle loosened his grip just enough for Mark to wring at one wrist and he rolled off Chenle pulling the other’s wrist with him, twisting it with a growl escaping his teeth. Chenle howled, body automatically following in order to get his wrist back in the right position. Mark jumped upon him, straddling the other and shooting out a hand to grip around Chenle’s throat. Chenle growled before tried to bash at Mark’s head with fists which Mark avoided by leaning back. Chenle’s legs came up and Mark’s eyes widened when they wrapped around his torso and he was thrown backwards and off Chenle. Mark followed the force with his body to fling himself further away from the other. Chenle jumped up ready to attack when Jisung sprang in between them. Chenle’s eyes widened and Jisung blocked the other’s punch, grabbing the arm and throwing Chenle over his shoulder. Chenle got over the shock quickly, he got up, swiping his leg across the ground and sweeping Jisung off his feet sending the blond boy to the ground back first. Mark stared at it with wide eyes as Jisung’s anger quickly swallowed him and he jumped onto Chenle who just laughed and fought back. Mark noticed Jisung’s gritted teeth got bared in what would be a smile too and suddenly he was laughing. The two pushed each other away and created distance so they could cool down. Chenle seemed ecstatic.

  “That was awesome!” He laughed and Mark raised a brow at him. Jisung rubbed his back and tilted his head.

  “Awesome hurts.” He muttered and Chenle nodded, slapping Jisung’s back only to get a glare in return. Mark chuckled. Hanging out with these two was like a breath of fresh air. He was away from Taeyong who got angry all the time. Ten who he was so focused on protecting from Taeyong who started to seem like less of a threat, but still dangerous. Johnny who was an emotional wreck at the moment and Doyoung who kept feeding Mark’s anxiety with prophecies. Not to talk about Lord Win now hating Johnny and Ten and probably not trusting Mark as much anymore.

Mark dusted himself off when they heard thunder roar in the distance. Chenle eyed the sky as well as the other two. “Green lightening.” He said. Mark eyed the sky in horizon.

  “Acid rain.” He muttered.

  “It’s been a long time since that happened.” Jisung added with awe.

  “Yeah, the effects of the Last War should’ve subsided but I guess the Old People like to punish us for no reason.” Chenle muttered, looking grim. “I hate bad weather.” He hissed and Mark laughed. Full on laughed. Because of all things, Chenle looked sad when he spoke about bad weather. Mark wrapped his arms around Chenle and Jisung’s shoulders. Jisung was a bit taller than him he noticed.

  “I think you just brought me back to life a little.” He said with a smile and Chenle smiled genuinely.

  “That is something good.” He said and Mark flinched a little when Chenle’s arm wrapped around his waist. Chenle chuckled. “I’m not gonna give you the Death Hug anymore. I’ve proved my point haven’t I?”

Mark chuckled. “You’ve proved so much more.”

 

 

 

 

Mark was determined. It seemed like the problem wasn’t him anymore but the 1st Clan. It gave him time to sit by himself in the cave. He was brooding, thinking about what to do with the people he had and the strengths they had. Johnny didn’t seem to pick himself up yet, it wasn’t good because they needed him. Mark wondered how he could help, what he could do to give Johnny’s heart a rest. Maybe also his own. The absence of Jaehyun was obvious and it affected all of them. Taeyong sometimes glanced around as if he was searching the empty space. Johnny had asked Ten if he could sleep beside him. Even if Johnny turned his back to Ten, Mark guessed it was the body of a friend that he needed by his side. He caught Ten in brushing Johnny’s bangs out of his face when the taller slept. Ten tugged Johnny’s blanket up over his shoulders to keep him warm. The storm outside had kept them inside the whole day. Jisung and Chenle were playing a card game with Taeyong sitting beside them, trying to learn the game they were playing. Ten was sketching in the faint light of some candles. Mark was sitting with his arm prodded on his leg and chin on top of a fist as he thought deeply about the future.

 

Mark almost jumped when Ten stood up. He had been so caught up in his thoughts he didn’t notice Ten put down his drawings and head over to Taeyong who was now sitting alone by the mouth of the cave, yet still far enough so that he wasn’t drenched by the rain. Chenle and Jisung had gone to bed, Johnny was facing Mark but deep asleep. Mark sighed and decided to lie down as well. He pulled his blanket up to his nose, feeling the softness of the feathers that had been stuffed inside of it. Mark blinked and looked up at the roof of the cave. Ten had given him his blanket at some point; Ten was always cold and liked heat. This blanket was meant for him not Mark. He must’ve given him the blanket when Mark was…

Mark closed his eyes, they were probably glowing. So he listened to the rain and the voices of Ten and Taeyong.

  “How’s Johnny?”

  “Not well… He misses Jaehyun.”

  “Jaehyun was good-”

  “Is. He is good.”

  “Ten, we probably won’t see him again.”

  “How can you be so sure? I thought I would have to say goodbye to Mark, but instead I’m with him and he’s still my brother, not some monster.”

  “I told you.”

  “Told me what?”

  “We’re still human.”


Ten was quiet. The wind blew in the curtains they had put up, rain splashed against the stone in rhythms that the wind played. Ten inhaled deeply.

 

  “You are.”

 

 

Mark decided that his plan was good to go. He was going to go back to the 5th Clan and find Jaehyun. Ten and Johnny would be okay.

 

 

 

 

A/N:

Chapter 14 is ready too. I'm on a roll. 

Life is , but this story is my baby and before I write a new story, I'll finish this or at least maybe finish TSC.. Like, writer's block hit me in Halloween time with that story when I meant to finish it, I'm the worst. Absolutely the worst author. 

Hope you enjoyed the chapter <3 

Love,
Emma <3