016

DAMNED

Chapter 16.

 

Renjun seemed to have lowered his crossbow that was heavy for his frail frame. He walked besides Mark while Haechan led the way, speaking to Jeno in a low voice, but Mark, Chenle and Jisung could hear him clearly.

  “Be alert.” Haechan said to Jeno, “but don’t be hostile.”

Mark looked towards Renjun who was grimacing as if in pain. Then he coughed into his sleeve, before looking better. Mark didn’t remember the last time he had the flu. It came and went, but the medicine that the 4th Clan produced seemed to work. They had found an underground stash of different kinds of medicine and studied it to make it work now. They were similar to the 3rd Clan, travelers and explores, yet they usually tried to dig up stuff from the Old Age, the time before the war. Mark liked that his clan just lived simply. He felt uncomfortable every time they neared the subject of a time before theirs. Of people living in complicated societies and with advanced technology before their rage and hatred for one another sent them into a war that destroyed earth and mankind. Few survived and now so many years later, it wasn’t often you came across the signs of their time anymore. As they walked Mark saw a steel figure rise up, and he knew it was once called a cell-tower. Now it was rusty and plants had taken over it, only giving it slightly away by the few places that the plants hadn’t covered.

Their path grew wider and they could hear the bustling of people. Mark lowered his head, he was afraid a shadow would cross his face and his eyes would glow. He couldn’t risk giving them away in a big crowd. The chaos it would create…

 

 

 

  “Hey, Mark.” Haechan was leaning closer to speak to Mark. He raised his chin, and in that moment noticed he was slightly taller than Haechan. The other had to raise his voice amongst all the noise. “Chief’s Tent is this way,” he said and pointed in the direction of a large building, made of wood and stone. They called it the tent even if the flaps of fabric was merely decoration. Mark thought of the Damned’s tents, they would never survive a storm. Their fragile houses only proved that maybe the Damned didn’t care about their housing because they thought it would be temporary. But it had been many years. When would they settle with the fact that where they are will be their home, for as long as they can live with the decease?

Haechan let Mark stand outside of the Tent. Chenle was beside Mark, looking confident while Jisung eyed people while the back of Chenle’s hood. They faced the open sky, avoiding standing in the shadows.

Haechan stood with Jeno in his back and Renjun was a little behind them, wiping his forehead and clearing his throat while grimacing. Mark’s eyes seemed focused on Haechan who was looking through a small notebook. “Probably should go check on the house.” He muttered to himself and Jeno. The taller nodded.

  “Nan, needs help with cooking, I’d like a full meal for once.” He eyed the woods behind Mark. It made the Damned wonder how long the three boys had been at the small camp.

  “Alright,” Haechan said before stuffing his notebook into a leather bag that was around his shoulder and hanging by his side. He raised his gaze and met Mark’s. Mark removed his gaze immediately and cleared his throat. Haechan reached out and knocked on the door before he started backing off, eyes on Mark. “Good luck.” He said softly, with a small smile. Mark looked up at Haechan again; he ended up stuttering a thank you and then ran a hand through his hair. The other three vanished. Mark could hear steps inside the building coming towards them. Chenle pushed Mark away.

  “Find Jaehyun.” He said quickly. “We’ll be here at the market.”


Mark nodded. “When night comes you go to the camp.” He couldn’t risk them being seen with glowing eyes. As soon as darkness fell upon the place they had to be out.

 

 

 

Mark ducked beneath the busy stream of people, going through the market, while listening to voices. Jisung and Chenle followed him for a while, making sure he got the place he needed to go. Mark noticed Jisung to his left, he was right behind Chenle. Jisung had wide eyes and his lips were separated in awe. It had been a while since he’d been at such a place. Mark felt bad knowing Jisung were one of the first to be sent away. That that young boy was abandoned by the clan because of what a virus did to his body.

Mark followed Jisung’s outstretched arm and noticed he was still holding onto Chenle so that he didn’t get lost. Mark felt a pull at the corner of his mouth. Jisung had expressed how much Chenle annoyed him, whenever he slept close to Jisung, but right now the youngest didn’t let go of the other.


  “Go check on Jaehyun and the others.” A voice said amongst all the others.


Mark picked it up and noticed that Jisung did too. He pulled Chenle to a stop. Mark found the person who’d spoken and gave Jisung and Chenle a look. Chenle nodded once while Jisung gave the other a smile. Mark squeezed himself through the masses and followed the red hood of a person carrying a tray of what would be porridge. Mark wondered why Jaehyun would be with a group of people, but he was just excited to know that he was soon going to see the other.


Mark followed the person with the red hood out of the market place towards a tall building. It was different from the others, had two stories and was made of brick and metal. Mark didn’t like that its door was closed, which meant it would be dark in there. He still followed the man inside, and closed his eyes immediately. It smelled of dust and Mark was sure torches lit the place, because he could smell burnt oil. There was a bunch of voices, it was quiet noises, a small wail came from a child, but Mark heard the noises of people who were sick. Coughing and clearing their throat. Speaking of pain.

  “Jaehyun,” the voice spoke. “Are you feeling better?”

Mark guessed it was the man with the red hood. He tried to pinpoint the distance between where he was and where the man’s voice came from.

  “You know that won’t happen.”

Mark felt a chill run down his spine. He recognized the velvety voice, how deep and soft it was, but now weaker.

  “Stay cheerful, you just came back to us. You were well…”

  “I should’ve stayed.” The voice said.


 

  “Boy,” a voice close to Mark said. “You shouldn’t be in here.”

Mark looked at where the voice of a woman was coming from. “Where am I?” He decided to ask after some contemplation. He couldn’t pretend to know Jaehyun. It would raise suspicion of him having his eyes closed. The woman probably thought Mark was blind now, because she grabbed onto his arm and led him outside. The metal door didn’t swing shut behind them, she left it open. Mark could still hear the faint voices of people inside.

  “You had walked into the place of the d- the ill.” She said. “It’s very contagious, we’re trying to keep them separated.” Hey voice sounded like it came through something, as if she was wearing a piece of cloth around her face to protect herself. She still wore it while outside.

Mark gritted his teeth. He tried to lower his head so that the woman wouldn’t see his face. Jaehyun was… he was dying? Jaehyun who’d Johnny had sacrificed himself for, leaving himself alone amongst dangerous people and betraying a friend, was sick? Jaehyun who’d wished for it so bad, hoping it would cure him and make him stronger, was now… dying? Mark inhaled sharply. He saw her again. Those blue eyes, her blond hair against the blue sky as she fell to her death. He felt Hansol’s blood on his hands, he tasted it as her cut and sliced through bodies. Mark opened his eyes, staring at his boots before he was about to raise his head.

He didn’t get to do it. To reveal to the woman he could clearly see. He didn’t get to put himself, Jisung and Chenle in danger because a voice spoke his name. A voice he’d missed.

  “Mark?”

Mark frowned, eyes wide and staring at the grass below his feet. The woman gasped in surprise. “Jaehyun, maybe you should stay with the-”

  “Let me go home,” Jaehyun panted. “We can talk in private and I can rest.” He told her. Mark didn’t dare to raise his eyes. He heard Jaehyun’s nails scrap against the metal door. He was probably clutching onto it. Mark looked down at his fists; they were trembling.
Jaehyun seemed to avoid an attempt of support from the woman, because when she stepped towards him he suddenly fell onto Mark who’s hands reached out to steady the taller. The woman spoke in a flustered voice. “Your private home is luckily near, we can take you there.” She suggested and Jaehyun nodded. Mark had an arm around Jaehyun’s waist, the other hanging on him as they walked. Mark kept his gaze on the ground. Jaehyun smelled just like he did before.

 

 

 

Mark closed his eyes when they entered the other’s home, built of stone and clay. Jaehyun asked the woman to light some candles for him, while Mark tried his best to only squint his eyes. He led Jaehyun towards his bed, noticing a ladder close to it, which he almost stumbled over. Jaehyun dropped down into his bed. Finally in Mark’s sight. Mark looked at the pale, thin figure of Jaehyun’s and he crouched down in front of Jaehyun. The taller was looking at him without revealing what he was thinking. The woman closed the door and left, seeming reluctant to leave the two, but she had a job to do. Mark was sure his eyes glowed in the dim lighting, but he didn’t care.

  “What happened?” He asked and reached out to cup Jaehyun’s cheek which was hot beneath his touch. Jaehyun slapped his hand away.

  “What happened?!” He reiterated. “I was the one who was suddenly thrown into the hands of the 1st Clan! You guys all stayed behind!”

  “We were doing it to protect you!” Mark argued. This only made Jaehyun even more upset.

  “We?” He repeated. “So you were in on it too? I could’ve understood why Johnny did it, but you? You too?” Mark tried not to react to the hurt in Jaehyun’s voice.

  “Your heart.” Mark cried out, trying to stop Jaehyun from feeding Mark’s guilt even more. “You have problems with your heart… What the Damned survived was something that goes right for the heart, and your heart isn’t strong enough to survive it!”

  “Oh, so I am weak?” Jaehyun breathed. Mark looked into the other’s eyes. Jaehyun pressed his lips into a line. “Does Taeyong think that as well?” Mark didn’t get to answer before Jaehyun huffed. A tear fell from his eye and Mark watched it fall onto Jaehyun’s cheek. “Of course he does. He pretty much told me that himself.”

Mark remembered the time he woke up from a nap, finding Taeyong and Jaehyun in an… intimate moment. He couldn’t remember Taeyong’s precise words.

  “But look what good it did!” Jaehyun cried. “I am still dying, but without any of you with me! You pretty much left me to die alone!”
Mark fell back. He looked up at Jaehyun who was breathing in uneven breaths. Mark couldn’t bear it. He got up and put one knee on the bed before collecting Jaehyun into his arms. Holding the other’s head close to his chest. Jaehyun gripped onto Mark’s shirt. He sobbed and cursed at Mark and the others, but he didn’t let go of Mark. Mark didn’t have to worry about hugging Jaehyun, or Jaehyun being close because there was nothing to protect Jaehyun from anymore.

The only thing Mark wished for was that Jaehyun’s heart would stay strong.

 

 

  “Bring me back.” Jaehyun then spoke and Mark released his grip on the other. He dropped down besides Jaehyun on the bed. He didn’t dare look Jaehyun in the eye. “You have to, Mark. Please.”

  “What if it’s just a cold?” Mark tried. “What if it’s nothing bad and we expose you-”

  “It’s that thing.” Jaehyun seethed and Mark blinked and shifted his gaze to Jaehyun. “People have already died, Mark, it was here before I came back. They chose me to help take care of the ill because now that I had been exposed for so long and still seemed well… Then maybe I wouldn’t get sick. I have done my best to help the ill, but it’s different now. Things have changed.”

Mark frowned, looking into Jaehyun’s eyes. “What has changed?”

  “The rules.”

Mark remembered the rules. Rules they lived by in the clan. Simple rules.

  1. Never kill family or clan members.
     
  2. Problems between two clans will be brought to the Commander in the Fallen City.
     
  3. Never keep quiet about someone who’s infected or Damned.


Mark heard a scream, it was distant. He got up quickly and swung the door open. It was twilight outside. Which meant shadows and darkness. Had Chenle and Jisung not avoided this? Had they stayed for too long?

  “Jaehyun!” Mark cried and ran back into the home, he looked around frantically. At the small wooden table with three chairs around it. A tiny kitchen, but with enough space between the floor and the roof so that Johnny could stand upright in it. It was cozy, and smelled of herbs and ingredients. Jaehyun was looking at him with wide eyes. Mark looked at Jaehyun, the other’s brown hair was slightly curly when it was damp from sweat, clinging onto Jaehyun’s forehead and temples. Mark thought of Haechan all of sudden. He probably wouldn’t get to see the other again. He would’ve liked to get to know the other more.

  “Mark!”

Jaehyun couldn’t hear it. But Mark could. It came from the woods behind Jaehyun’s home. Mark grabbed a jacket from besides the entrance and hurried over to Jaehyun. He tugged it on the other, making sure Jaehyun would be warm outside in the cool air. Jaehyun wrapped an arm around Mark’s shoulders.

  “Who’s here besides you?” He asked in a low voice, voice close to Mark’s ear.

  “Jisung and someone called Chenle. You haven’t met him yet, but he’s crazy.” Mark merely explained and got them outside of the hut. There were similar huts surrounding them. A stone path s its way through the town towards the marketplace and the taller buildings. Mark liked the fell of the place. It looked so comfortable. If you were invited.

   “Do you need anything?” Mark asked as they noticed people shut their doors and try to hide inside the buildings. Mark turned his head to look at Jaehyun’s head that was close to his. Jaehyun’s gaze moved to meet his glowing eyes and he shook his head.

  “You need to hide. Now.” He said firmly and Mark nodded, getting them away from where people were running around.

  “Jisung!” Mark called. “Chenle?” He asked and after walking for a while they found a small clearing with a large tree in the middle. Mark settled Jaehyun softly on the ground. Jaehyun re-adjusted himself and glanced around. “We were supposed to meet somewhere else.” Mark muttered, he’d wanted to inform Jaehyun but on the same time he felt embarrassed about their lack of planning. He’d only meant to visit Jaehyun, not take him with him back. This wasn’t a rescue mission.

 

 

 

Mark heard steps, but he also heard something in the trees. He grabbed the handle of the dagger, ready to unsheathe it when a figure with glowing red eyes came flying into the clearing. Chenle did too, his was an almost greenish yellow.

  “We’re being hunted!” Chenle warned them and Jisung ran over to Jaehyun with a smile. Jaehyun greeted Jisung too.

  “You okay?” Jisung asked and helped Jaehyun up, having a strong grip on Jaehyun’s jacket. Mark moved to Jaehyun’s other side. Chenle stood in front of them, his hands on his hips.

  “We need to hide.” He stated, lips pressed into a thin line.

  “But who can we trust?” Jisung asked and Mark frowned.

He turned to look at Jaehyun, pulling his face back a little because of how close their faces were when Jaehyun looked at him. “Is there anyone here you’re sure could help us?”

Jaehyun nodded immediately. “He would do anything to help me.” He said. “And you’re a part of me. He has to help.”

Mark didn’t manage to answer. Jaehyun’s words seemed to settle within him. You’re a part of me. Mark noticed Chenle huff while Jisung looked touched.


 

 

Jaehyun described the building and Chenle hurried ahead. Jaehyun knew the way around the area. Explaining how he and Johnny always liked to walk around in the woods. Avoiding the rox animals that sometimes roamed into their land. Rox animals were creatures who once was something mankind had known well, but now mankind had destroyed them, creating them to be a haunting version of what they once were. Like the wrous.

Mark hoped they wouldn’t meet one of them at the moment. Right now he was worrying about people.

They reached the house, which was a small stone hut with three levels built rather shoddily, but there was a warm light streaming out of the small windows, and it was as if the heat radiated from it. A small red painted door called out to them and Chenle pointed at the house. They could hear voices coming and Mark and Jisung lifted Jaehyun up swiftly and carried him with them. Chenle pushed the door open letting them in and closing it after them. Hoping that they would be safe inside the house. They stayed close to the door just as a group of men passed by it.

 

 

Mark wrapped another arm around Jaehyun to keep him standing. Jaehyun leaned against Mark. Jisung breathed out a breath of relief, but it got stuck in his throat. A blade caught the light of a candle when it was put to his throat. Mark heard a crossbow being loaded. It was recognizable by the creaking of the string being pulled back and clicking into place, ready to be released.

Mark looked at the hand holding the blade, running his eyes over the arm and up to the face of the auburn haired Haechan.

Haechan’s gaze met Mark’s and Mark’s grip on Jaehyun faltered slightly. He felt a drop in his stomach, as if something out his strength. Haechan blinked at first, yet then he frowned.

  “Hae!” Jaehyun exclaimed, gaining Haechan’s attention and Haechan’s eyes widened.

  “Jaehyun!” He called out, pushing Jisung out of the way, sending the other into Chenle who gripped onto Jisung’s arm. Chenle looked annoyed but also cautious. Haechan took Jaehyun onto his shoulders and away from Mark. Jeno shoved Mark towards the door where Chenle and Jisung stood, and Mark bared his teeth at the other. Renjun was standing with a safe distance between them, the crossbow raised and ready. Mark noticed it shake, Renjun’s thin arms weren’t strong. If Mark looked closer he could see Renjun looking pale, beads of sweat on his face. Jeno stepped slightly to the side, covering Renjun with his body, glaring at Mark.

Chenle gripped the doorknob. “We should just run.”

  “We can’t!” Mark hissed, but tried to do it so the others didn’t hear.

  “They’re my friends!” Jaehyun suddenly declared and stepped over – stumbled to be correct – to Renjun slapping down upon the crossbow to knock it out of his arms, but Renjun fired, eyes squeezing shut in surprise and sending the arrow towards the feet of Mark, Jisung and Chenle.

Mark sprang up, Chenle jumped behind Mark and Jisung climbed up the coat hanger. The arrow pierced the wooden floor just where Jisung’s foot had been.

  “They’re strangers!” Haechan argued. Renjun tried to pick up the crossbow but Jaehyun stepped on it and Renjun fell to the floor, losing his balance.

  “They’ve saved my life!” Jaehyun yelled. “Don’t threaten them!” He tried to push Jeno away now. He was taller than Jeno, but he wasn’t right. He fell towards the floor and Mark stepped forwards but Haechan was quicker. Jaehyun clutched at his chest with a grimace of pain. Haechan’s eyes widened with fear.

  “I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Calm down, Jaehyun!” He begged, voice not the confident leader but similar to a young frightened boy. Mark crouched down in front of Jaehyun.

  “Jaehyun.” He said calmly. He cupped Jaehyun’s face, raising it to look into Mark’s eyes. Jaehyun was not breathing evenly. “We’re fine.” Mark promised. Haechan scooted into Mark’s place, almost sitting on top of him. Mark moved to the side.

  “Breathe with me!” He said skillfully, mimicking a steadier way of breathing and Jaehyun calmed down.

  “We should go.” Chenle insisted but Mark reached out a hand, palm open and facing Chenle to shut him up.

Jaehyun reached out to grip onto Mark’s wrist. “Friend.” He said weakly. Haechan nodded.

  “Okay, I understand.” He said softly.

Jeno was frowning at all of them. Mark looked up when the other moved and he noticed the other walk towards the candles that was lighting up the hall. Mark gasped when Jeno blew them out. Mark closed his eyes. Yet realized it was stupid. If Haechan had to help them, then Mark couldn’t lie to him. Mark opened his eyes and looked at Haechan’s figure in the dim light. Jaehyun was grinning up at the three, their eyes glowing different colors in the shadows.

Haechan gasped while Jeno stumbled backwards, not ready to face his suspicion.

  “We’re safe.” Mark said, eyes still connected with Haechan’s. “We’re here to check up on Jaehyun.”

  “Your eyes are blue!” Haechan could only exclaim and Mark chuckled.

  “Some of us are different.”

  “Unique.” Chenle said smugly and looked at Renjun and Jeno with a smirk. Jisung huffed.

Haechan frowned. “You’re the ones creating panic.” He stated.

  “We need help.” Mark said and found himself reaching out to touch Haechan’s arm. The other flinched and Mark’s hand seemed to linger in the air. He hadn’t experienced that before. Someone flinching away from his touch as if he was something lesser than a human being. “We have to get back home.”

Haechan swallowed thickly. “That won’t be easy.”

Chenle frowned. “We’re fast.”

  “I’m not.” Jaehyun inserted and Mark had forgotten that Jaehyun wanted to come with them.

  “They wouldn’t shoot you.” Chenle said as a matter-of-fact when everyone except the Damned looked at him with a knowing gaze. Chenle’s smug expression faltered.

Mark’s hand retreated from where he’d reached for Haechan. “What are you saying?”

  “The rules have changed,” Jaehyun repeated what he’d previously said.

Haechan looked at the three. “There’s an exception to our rules. A new one. Now if a clan-member or one clan-member under Commander Hun, appears with glowing eyes, you’re allowed to kill them at sight.”

 

 

A/N:

Kind of a long chapter. What do you guys think? 

Happy birthday Chenle, our talented little dolphin. <3 

 - (Also I'm so looking forward to Jaehyun's smstation song!)

Love,
Emma <3