Nine

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

The next morning, Joshua woke up to a selfie of Junghan. He was smiling broadly, hair tied back. Well, at least he looks better, Josh thought as he sent the picture to his mum.

 

As he was eating breakfast in the kitchen, sitting on a stool Mrs Choi had brought into the kitchen for him, Vernon stumbled in. He looked well rested but grumpy.

"You OK, Vernon?" Vernon nodded and pulled a carton of milk out of the fridge, slamming the door shut. "Really?" Vernon nodded again as he pulled a box of cereal off the top of the fridge. "Are you sure? Do you want to talk about something?"

"I said I'm fine, Josh. I appreciate the concern, but I don't have anything I want to talk about."

Joshua nodded as he took a bite out his toast. "'Kay then. What'd you get up to yesterday?"

Vernon sighed as he poured some milk into a bowl. "I had a date with Chan."

"Ooh, that bad?"

"No, it was great. I had a lot of fun. Just, I'm worried about Seungkwan; he had his date with Jihoon yesterday, too. What if Jihoon took advantage of him?"

Oh, Vernon was jealous. Now it makes sense.

"I'm sure it was fine. Have you talked to Seungkwan about it?"

"Not yet, I got sent a picture of Seungkwan wearing Jihoon's jacket last night, though." Vernon wolfed down his cereal, then slammed his bowl into the sink.

"Can we leave now? I want to get to the cafe a little earlier than normal -- can you bring your toast with you?"

Joshua nodded and stood up, placed his plate in the sink, and put his last slice in his mouth as he put on his shoes at the front door.

 

When they reached the cafe, it all made sense; Seungkwan was having a very enthusiastic conversation with Jihoon. Vernon's scowl deepened. When Junghan asked him about it Vernon spat out a few choice words about older men in relationships with younger guys and power struggles.

It got nastier after that, with Seungkwan and Vernon exchanging words coated in venom. Joshua didn't understand why somebody couldn't lock them in a small place and force them to confess their feelings.

The argument was stopped when Mingyu dragged a tall guy into the cafe. He was only a few centimeters shorter than Mingyu, still towering over everyone else, and dressed completely in black. He looked friendly enough, a slight grin on his face as he stumbled after Mingyu.

His expression went blank when he heard what Vernon was saying to Jihoon.

"-- worried about my best friend when he's suddenly got some older cree-"

"I think that's enough." His voice was so deep it might have boomed if he spoke louder. His tone was even, a little icy, and Junghan looked like he tensed.

Joshua grabbed Junghan's hand in his own and gave it a light squeeze, hoping to reassure him.

There was a conversation about why Wonwoo was at the cafe, something about an alley and a shi tzu, but Joshua found Junghan's lips on his and decided to focus on that instead.

Junghan pulled away and gasped "Get them the kit!" Joshua rolled his eyes fondly -- of course Junghan had been listening.

"His initials are even right! JW!" Mingyu exclaimed. Joshua was going to have to ask about this initial thing.

Vernon dismissed himself, calling out that he was going to catch up with Chan and Minghao. As he left, Mingyu took off his shirt and something sailed through the air. Mingyu and the guy went through the process of seeing if their marks and fingerprints matched.

After Jihoon begrudgingly glanced over and confirmed they did, Mingyu and Seungkwan whooped and danced around for a little, even dragging Junghan up to mindlessly shriek with them.

The guy cleared his throat and held Mingyu's shirt out to him, who smiled sheepishly and put it back on.

A phone alarm went off, and Jihoon looked pointedly at Seungkwan. Seungkwan pouted. "Yeah, I know -- off to school. Mingyu, tell me how things go!"

 

The first reminder of Joshua and Junghan's lack of life came that afternoon. They were at the cafe, studying, kissing lazily between sips of coffee, and whispering cheesy lines to each other. Mingyu and Wonwoo, Mingyu's soulmate, were in the men's room.

Jihoon was at the door, hands slamming against it, yelling about refusing to clean up come. There was a short reprieve from the shouting when Seungkwan presumably asked what was going on (Joshua couldn't hear the conversation -- he was all the way across the cafe). Then there was an exclamation of "Mingyu? And his soulmate? Twice!"

"I know, they've known each other less than twelve hours and've already gotten further than I have with Joshua in the last two weeks!" Junghan complained loudly.

There were two ways Joshua thought of to deal with that comment, humour and take it as a joke, or get offended Junghan had brought it up. Joshua hadn't broached the topic of with Junghan again after the time he'd slept over at Junghan's, so take it as a joke it was.

Joshua slapped Junghan's arm playfully -- he wasn't around here to put up with this. He was here to study and be cute with his soulmate.

"Ow! You shouldn't hit unless it's in bed! Bad Shua, bad!"

Joshua rolled his eyes, he'd found out a bit more than he'd wanted to. "I lightly slapped your arm, it up."

Junghan grinned at him mischievously. "I would if you let me  you up."

Joshua made a face and slapped Junghan's arm again -- he was just glad it was only people he knew at the cafe and not random strangers hearing all this.

Attention went back to the door to the men's room when Mingyu and Wonwoo emerged, looking flushed and ruffled.

Joshua turned back to his notebook, grabbed a highlighter, and continued highlighting.

"Hey, it was just a joke," Junghan murmured in his ear. "I'm fine waiting, really."

Joshua nodded. "I know."

Junghan sighed and pecked Joshua's cheek. "Good, I don't want you feel pressured or anything. I mean, I'd love it if you --"

"You talking like that doesn't help, you know. I already feel bad." Josh put down his highlighter and looked Junghan in the eye. "Can we just drop it until later? I don't want to talk about this in public."

Junghan nodded. "Sure, I was getting a little bored anyway."

Joshua shook his head. Nice to know my feelings matter.

Junghan's phone whistled obnoxiously. "Hey, Jun's invited us for dinner at his Sunday night. We have to go -- he's such a good cook."

Joshua shrugged. "Sure, Jun seems cool."

 

***

 

It was a slow day at the cafe. Joshua had decided to go there to study -- he'd finished his classes for the day and the cafe was only twenty minutes away from his university by bus and subway, so why not?

Jun and Jihoon were on shift, but there was only one other table of people -- two teenagers who definitely should have been in school on a Wednesday afternoon. Jun finished serving the two teens and wandered over to Joshua's table.

"Hey," he said, sitting down.

Joshua glanced up and smiled. "Hi, Jun. Shouldn't you be working or something?"

"Look around, does it look like there's any work for me to do?"

Joshua shrugged. "I guess not. Won't you get in trouble or something, though?"

"No, I'm indispensable."

Joshua let out a breathy laugh. "Right, that's why Jihoon looks like he's the one doing all the work."

"I actually work most -- my course is pretty chill."

Josh put his pen down and sat up properly. "I don't want to be rude, but why are you here? We hardly talk."

Jun shrugged. "I thought you could do with another friend. I only ever see you with Junghan or Vernon and I thought 'hey, I was the dumb friendless foreigner not too long ago. It , maybe Josh could do with a friend?' So, here I am." Jun pretended to tip a hat.

"I'd be offended, but you're friends with Junghan," Joshua stated.

Jun smirked. "Best friends. I don't know how I put up with him."

Joshua decided it was better to bite his tongue than make a comment.

"Anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to swap numbers. It's cool if you don't -- I just thought, well, I need friends too. Junghan's pretty much it for me."

Joshua a breath through his teeth, and dug his phone out of his back pocket. "That sounds tough -- I guess we better. Just please, don't message me the way you do when you use Junghan's phone."

Jun ran a hand through his hair and snatched Joshua's phone out his hands. "Why not? It's either that or nothing." Jun handed Joshua's phone back. Joshua tapped through his phone to send Jun (who'd saved himself as "aju-nice " -- Joshua could appreciate the play on Jun's name) a message.

"What do you want me to save you as?" Jun asked, pulling his own phone out of his pocket.

"Do your worst," Josh shrugged, going back to his notebook.

"I'm thinking...  Jo-- , I can't think of anything."

There was the noise of a chair scraping along the floor, and Junghan asked, "What are you thinking about?"

"His name in my phone."

"Oh?" Junghan asked, a playful lilt in his voice. "Does this mean I have to watch my back? You replacing me as your best friend?"

Jun snorted. "I can only hope. But any suggestions?"

Junghan paused to think. "Shua, what's your Korean name?"

"Jisoo," Joshua answered without missing a beat.

"Whatever, I'm saving you as Joshoo," Jun announced.

Junghan cackled. "What? That doesn't even make sense!"

Jun shrugged, "Doesn't have to. Now cheer and praise me for my genius."

Junghan obliged, blowing kisses and winking and saying nonsensical things that at least sounded nice. Joshua shook his head, they were really too much.

 

***

 

The second time was brought up was a few days later, when Joshua was at Junghan's for dinner.

The evening started out fine -- easy conversation with Junghan's mum, helping her cook, light banter with Junghan, some kissing Junghan on the loungeroom couch with a bad drama on in the background. No problem. It was easy, Joshua fit in.

But, as usual, kissing turned to making out. Clacking teeth, heavy breathing, Junghan tracing his finger over Joshua's stomach and chest, drawing patterns.

All things Joshua was fine with.

Junghan's dad even walked in on them, but it wasn't so bad because he promptly apologised and walked back out.

Junghan pulled away, giggling. "I can't believe he didn't say anything," he panted.

"Why would your dad say something?" Joshua asked, his eyebrows furrowing together.

Junghan shrugged. "He's walked in on me with that many guys' up my arse he gets surprised when I'm just kissing someone."

"Wait, I'm meeting him tonight?"

Junghan nodded and leaned back in to kiss Joshua. Joshua pulled back. "No, Junghan, I -- your dad's first impression of me is me with my tongue down your throat."

Junghan wrapped his arms around Joshua's neck. "Actually, my tongue was down your throat."

Joshua shook his head. "Your dad doesn't know that! What if he thinks I'm not good enough for you? What if he holds that image against me for the rest of --"

Junghan moved so he was sitting in Joshua's lap, his legs either side of Joshua's.

"Trust me, my dad won't think any less of you -- he probably thinks more of you."

"Boys, time for dinner!" Junghan's mum called out.

Insteaf of getting up, Junghan settled into Joshua's lap. "What is wrong with you?" he pouted.

"What? I --"

Junghan pecked his lips before standing up. "Must be 'cause you were exposed to more ualized images from a younger age or something -- makes it harder for you to get hard." He took Joshua's hand and led him to the dining room.

After they were seated and had food on their plates, Junghan's dad introduced himself.

"I'm Junghan's dad, Mr Yoon, but you already know that. We haven't met yet, have we? Been a while since Junghan here's kept a man long enough to have him over for dinner -- not that I blame him." Mr Yoon guffawed, and Joshua noticed Junghan gulp.

He reached his hand over to Junghan's and took it in his own, entwining their fingers.

"Really," Mr Yoon continued, "us Yoons aren't meant to be tied down." His eyes flickered to Junghan, then his wife. "Not until we find the right person, of course. Our swimmers are strong and active, aren't they Junghan?"

Junghan groaned, "Dad, that isn't --"

"Of course not, of course not. Yours are going to waste, being trapped inside men."

Junghan's jaw clenched. "Dad, we -- talked about--"

"I know, I understand and I'm not bothered that you like men. I'm just disappointed you aren't going to give me beautiful, strong grandkids one day. But, that's my problem, not--"

Junghan's mum cleared . "Joshua looks a little uncomfortable with this topic. Let's move on to something else -- I see you haven't eaten much of tonight's dishes, Joshua. I didn't make them too spicy, did I? I completely forget you're American sometimes, you speak Korean so well!"

Joshua shook his head. "No, ma'am, it's fine. I was just a little focused on conversation. Your husband speaks very quickly."

Junghan's mother nodded understandingly. She turned her attention to her husband. "Hear that dear? Joshua thinks you speaks too quickly, too. Maybe slow down just a little."

Mr Yoon nodded and leaned across to kiss her on the cheek. Joshua could see the man's eyes twinkle with genuine fondness. "Sorry, sugarpie, I should've listened to you -- you have my best interests at heart." Mr Yoon turned back to Joshua.

"Uncomfortable with the topic, hey? You a ?"

"Dad," Junghan protested, "you can't just ask that!"

Joshua squeezed Junghan's hand. "It's fine," he assured him. It was just a question. "Yes, Mr Yoon, I'm a ."

Mr Yoon chortled. "Sorry, I just -- how? We Yoons have charm. Junghan, you been going easy on the boy? Want to wait for the right time and make things special for his first time?"

Junghan grimaced. "Not exactly, dad, we're going to wait until we meet our other soulmate."

Mr Yoon scoffed. "Bah! That'll be nerve wracking, his first time with two other people. You know what you should do, Junghan? Just do it. Get it over and done with. Get some candles and some music and go at it until --"

Joshua cleared his throat.  (So that's where Junghan got his attitude towards from.) "I need the restroom. May I be excused?"

Junghan's mum looked at him sympathetically. "Of course, Joshua. Junghan, go with him, make sure he doesn't use that new fancy soap your father got me."

The two boys stood up and made their way to the bathroom. Junghan closed and locked the door behind them, then went over to the sink and washed his hands.

"Sorry about that, my dad's a pig. I should have warned you."

Joshua wrapped his arms around Junghan's waist, Junghan's back against his chest, and looked at Junghan through the mirror. "I can understand your views on now, at least."

"Please tell me I'm not that bad," Junghan begged.

Joshua smiled and turned his head to kiss Junghan's cheek. "No, you aren't. I just meant the older guy thing you have makes sense." Joshua teased.

"The oldest guy was only thirty four! I do not have a , if that's what you're getting at."

Joshua shrugged. "It might be."

Junghan looked offended. "Older guys just know how to use their , OK? They know where everything is and the best way to make me come in under five minutes."

"Come on, baby boy, don't be like --" 

Junghan slapped Joshua's forearm. "Stop that right now, Hong Joshua! Or I swear..."

"Oh no, baby boy, you aren't supposed to hit daddy," Joshua teased.

Junghan pouted. "That's it, we're breaking up. You don't get be around me anymore. No more Yoon Junghan for you."

Joshua laughed. "Were we actually ever together? I don't remember either of us asking the other to be boyfriends."

Junghan rolled his eyes. "Fine, Joshua, will you be my boyfriend?"

Joshua in a breath through his teeth. "I dunno, I mean -- it's a lot, isn't it?" Junghan brought his hand up, fingers ready to flick Joshua. "Fine, yes! I'll stop teasing."

The two laughed and rocked side to side, staring fondly at each other through the mirror.

"You ready to go back out there?" Junghan asked, sounding nervous.

"No, but we kind of have to, don't we?"

 

Junghan's mum must've had a talk with Mr Yoon, because he was downright pleasant the remainder of dinner. No talk of or the Yoon swimmers, instead conversing about current affairs and pop culture. Joshua could see where Junghan got his natural charm from.

"I'm sorry for my behavior earlier, boys," Mr Yoon apologised at the end of the night. "I know I can come across a bit strong, and the way I approach and other such topics can be, well, unsavoury to say the least."

Mr Yoon looked fondly at his wife.

"I don't know what I'd do without my lovely other half to reign me in. That's what soulmates are really about, balancing and complementing each other."