Twenty

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

Double update! Happy Valentine's Day!

 

Joshua was laying on his bed, scouring his textbook for that bit of information he was sure was in that chapter, when he got a text from Seungcheol.

 

25 Oct

8:23 pm

got a performance in a club tonight. jihoon managed to get it for me last minute. u wanna come watch? junghan already said he would. please come, if only to keep junghan in line. apparently he's a handful drunk

8:25 pm

Sure. What time and where?

8:26 pm

i'll pick u up in half an hour? 

8:26 pm

Sounds good

8:27 pm

see u then x

, was the x too much?

8:28 pm

No, it's fine. See you then xx

8:29 pm

trying to out x me? xxx

8:31 pm

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What? Why would I do that? Xxxxxxxx

8:32 pm

 i'm getting in the car now, gotta go. see u soon x

 

Joshua put his phone down on his bed, bookmarked his page, and got up to get dressed. What exactly did people wear to clubs? All he had to go off was movies, he wasn't old enough to go out drinking back in America.

Sighing, he picked up his phone and called Junghan. Junghan had said he'd been to clubs before.

"Shua! You're coming too, right?" Junghan answered the phone on the second ring.

"Sure am what do I wear?"

Junghan sighed. "My precious Shua. Just wait and I'll send you a photo of what I'm wearing as an example."

"Can't you just tell me what sort of shirt to wear?"

Junghan made a noise. "Something nice, but not too nice. Cheollie said it's a shady place, so you can probably get away with showing more skin than you would at a nicer place."

"I'm not showing skin, Junghan," Joshua laughed.

Junghan whined. "Fine. Seungcheol just pulled up, I'll bring you a shirt. Put on a pair of black skinny jeans and I'll sort out the rest."

Joshua nodded, that was something he could do.

Junghan sent a kiss over the phone, over exaggerated kissy noise and all, then hung up.

He quickly put on a pair of skinny jeans and a jumper, then went to the kitchen to eat. Drinking with an empty stomach was never a good idea.

He was just finishing off some leftover pasta when he heard Junghan and Seungcheol enter the house. He stuffed the last of the meal into his mouth as Junghan turned into the kitchen.

"Here, put this on." Junghan threw some balled up material at Joshua. Joshua caught it and unballed it.

"Flannel?" he asked, an eyebrow raised. Junghan nodded.

"It's a pretty low key place, you don't want to stand out too much," Seungcheol told him.

Joshua nodded slowly as he eyed Junghan's leather pants. "Obviously."

Junghan stuck his tongue out. "I look good. It was a dare from Jun, anyway. They're his."

Joshua continued nodding as he disentangled the singlet from the flannel's sleeves. "Definitely looks like something Jun would own."

Seungcheol, in a pair of blue jeans and an unstained grey hoodie, grabbed Joshua's bowl and rinsed it in the sink. "Can we get going, now? I don't wanna be late."

Joshua nodded. "I can get changed in in your car, right?"

Junghan grinned and grabbed Joshua's hand, dragging him to the front door. "You sure can, Shua."

"I think we need to address your ownership issues, angel," Seungcheol traded as the three were putting on their shoes.

Junghan shrugged. "We're soulmates, what's yours is mine."

Seungcheol cocked his head. "I'm guessing that isn't a two way street?"

Junghan nodded. "I'm glad you understand," he said, pulling Joshua out of the house.

Joshua couldn't help but grin at Junghan's mischief.

 

"Ground rules," Seungcheol started as he led Joshua and Junghan into the club. "Don't take anything from anyone, don't buy anything off anyone, and don't start anything. The people here aren't always the nicest."

Joshua nodded as he looked around. The place was a loud and crowded mass of writhing bodies.

Junghan wrapped an arm around Joshua's shoulders and leaned toward him.

"Just stick near me or Cheollie -- " Joshua heard through the pumping bass, " -- and you'll be fine! We can stick around the bar if you want!" Junghan offered.

Joshua nodded and clutched onto Seungcheol's arm. Seungcheol s his arm around Joshua's waist and his side reassuringly. He led them around the dance floor to the bar, sticking against the walls.

"Jihoon!" Junghan called out when they got within earshot of the bar. 

Jihoon turned around. He had a shot glass in each hand.

Seungcheol grunted and lurched forward to take one off him. "I haven't even performed, yet, Hoonie. Wait until I'm on stage to get smashed."

Jihoon chuckled drily. "I'm already halfway there."

Seungcheol passed the shot glass to Junghan, who tried to give it to Joshua. Joshua shook his head -- he didn't know what type of nasty alcohol Jihoon had ordered.

Junghan shrugged and tipped his head back, downing the shot. He slammed the empty glass down on the bar.

"What are you doing here, Jihoon?" Junghan asked, sounding genuinely curious. "You don't really seem the club type of guy."

Jihoon shrugged. "I've got to support this tard somehow." He pointed to Seungcheol, who had a large, dopey grin on his face.

Junghan's eyes widened. "You two know each other?"

Seungcheol wrapped an arm around Jihoon's shoulders. "My best friend since middle school."

Jihoon shrugged Seungcheol's arm off, but Joshua noticed a hint of a smile tugging at his mouth.

"Sometimes I wish I hadn't met you, y'know. Then I wouldn't be in crappy clubs when I have other to do."

Seungcheol nodded as if he heard Jihoon's complaints often. Judging by the little Joshua knew Jihoon, he assumed Seungcheol did.

Joshua leaned towards Seungcheol. "How long until you perform?" He was already getting uncomfortable milling around the bar.

Seungcheol glanced to Jihoon. Jihoon's face fell flat. "It was in the ing message I sent you. I'm not your manager." Jihoon gestured to the bartender for another shot. "You couldn't pay me enough to put up with your bull."

Seungcheol chuckled, his head shaking in amusement.

Joshua felt one of Junghan's hand entwine with his, their fingers fit so perfectly together it could only have been Junghan, before an arm s around his waist and pulled him down to sit on Junghan's lap.

"You look nervous," Junghan told him, his breath hitting Joshua's ear.

"Just a new environment."

Junghan motioned to the bartender, some money between his fingers, and before long there was a glass in front them. Junghan took a sip then smiled at the bartender.

"Here, drink this." Junghan nudged Joshua with the glass. "Calm your nerves. It's good, one of those girly drinks. Won't get you drunk."

Joshua took the glass from Junghan and took a tentative sip. Orange juice, with an undercurrent of what was probably vodka.

Junghan pointed to Seungcheol and Junghan, who were still arguing in that way good friends do that's more playful than anything.

"Would you have thought those two would be friends unless you'd seen it with your own eyes?"

Joshua shook his head. "People are complex, though, and Seungcheol said they'd been friends since middle school. That's a long time."

Junghan nodded, his hair brushing against Joshua's ear. "Don't they kind of look like soulmates? Obviously they're not, Cheollie's our soulmate, but they look so much closer than ordinary friends."

"Wouldn't you if you'd been best friends with someone for that long?"

"I bet you head they've screwed," Junghan offered.

Joshua snorted. "It's none of our business who Seungcheol's had with."

Junghan made a high pitch noise, and Joshua knew if he turned his head he'd see Junghan was pouting.

"But they seem too close to just be friends."

"They aren't just friends, they're best friends. It's really none of our business, anyway."

Junghan took the drink from Joshua and had another sip. "You're no fun, Shua."

Joshua sat there on Junghan's lap, listening to Seungcheol's and Jihoon's banter, laughing when Junghan occasionally chimed in, until Jihoon checked his phone and hit Seungcheol's bicep.

"Time to go get ready," Jihoon instructed. Seungcheol nodded and shuffled over to Junghan and Joshua.

"Things'll start up in about five, so I've gotta go and get ready for that. I'll be back soon." Seungcheol kissed Junghan, pecked Joshua's temple, then made his way through the throng of dancers.

"Where should we move to watch him?" Junghan asked Jihoon.

"Trust me, you don't want to watch him, he . I've been trying to get him to get a job -- any ing job -- for years now."

Junghan's arms tightened around Joshua's waist. "You don't seem like a very supportive best friend."

"Best friends are supposed to be honest. You don't know half of what I do for that man, anyway. Get over yourself just because he's your damn soulmate."

"Oh? You sound bitter. Maybe because he's my soulmate? Did little Jihoon get his heart shattered when he turned sixteen and his mark was marred? I bet you hoped he'd turn out to be your soulmate." Junghan spat, his words coated in venom.

Joshua sat up straight. What the hell was Junghan thinking, attacking Seungcheol's best friend like that? Where had that even come from?

"I'm really sorry, Jihoon. Junghan's --"

"I work with Junghan, I know what he's like. I'm not gonna be bothered by something he said because of his insecurities," Jihoon interrupted Joshua's apology, waving his hand in the air as if to brush away Junghan's words.

Junghan's made a small, indignant noise and rested his chin on Joshua's shoulder. "I bet you Seungcheol's not even that bad."

Joshua sighed. "Junghan, let it go. Stop being petty."

Junghan shifted around, then put his arm out over the bar, money in hand. A bartender came around quickly, smirking.

"I'll have whatever you've given shortie over there," Junghan gestured to Jihoon.

The bartender made an almost mocking noise. "Really? You look like you'd fare better with that orange juice and vodka."

Junghan growled. "I'm not in the mood to play back and forth with you, so just give me whatever you gave my friend earlier and I'll give you my cash."

The bartender pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes. "This is my bar, you be polite."

The bartender gave Joshua a sympathetic look before he placed a shot glass down in front of them. He grabbed a bottle from under the bar and poured it into the glass before holding out his hand.

"There's your shot, now pass me the money."

Junghan threw the note at the bartender before downing the shot.

"Junghan, you OK?" Joshua asked.

He felt Junghan shrug. "I'm just used to dancing and trying to pick up guys when I go to clubs."

Joshua stood up and pulled Junghan up, too. "C'mon, let's dance." He tried dragging Junghan towards the mass of bodies.

Junghan grinned and clung to Joshua, his arms wrapping Joshua's shoulders. "What about Seungcheol's performance?"

Joshua gestured to the stage. "Something tells me we'll be able to see it."

Junghan threw his head back in laughter, and Joshua couldn't but smile.

Joshua wasn't a good dancer. He didn't know how to move his arms or legs, but he quickly learned Junghan didn't either. The two wiggled their limbs, laughing and kissing as they tried not to bump into the other dancers.

To Joshua, it felt like good, wholesome fun. He hadn't had the opportunity to really let go in months.

Suddenly, there was a light directed at the stage and the screech of microphones.

Joshua turned his attention towards the stage, where he could see a couple of guys standing, their posture slouched and comfortable. He could easily tell which was Seungcheol.

He leaned on Junghan, wrapping his arms around Junghan's waist, and waited for things to get going. Most of the rappers were pretty decent, some even good, and Joshua had hopes for Seungcheol.

Maybe Jihoon only thought he because he was Seungcheol's best friend and was tough on him?

Once it was Seungcheol's turn, however, Joshua understood. He wasn't terrible, but rapping definitely wouldn't be paying Seungcheol's bills anytime soon.

When the rapping finished Joshua and Junghan made their way back to the bar.

"I kept your seat free," Jihoon said, lips moving against the rim of the glass he was drinking from.

"You weren't too bad," Joshua told Seungcheol when he finally made his way back to them, beer in hand.

He leaned in for a kiss, smelling of smoke, so Joshua turned his head and pecked Seungcheol's cheek.

Junghan made a noise of disapproval, then kissed Seungcheol deep and hard, noises and all.

"Let's take this somewhere else, you were so hot up there, Cheollie." Junghan placed a hand on Seungcheol's bicep. Seungcheol made a face.

"Uh, I can't drive, but I'll call a taxi and --"

Junghan leaned into Seungcheol and whispered something in his ear. Seungcheol's eyes widened.

Joshua tried not to roll his eyes, Junghan had probably said something about having in a toilet stall.

Seungcheol started walking off, his hand in Junghan's. Junghan gave him a look, then jerked his head toward Joshua.

"C'mon, Shua, we're going to the bathroom," Junghan told him, grabbing hold of Joshua's hand and pulling him up off his seat.

It was only when they got to the bathroom that Seungcheol stopped and turned to Joshua.

"Are you comfortable doing this with us here?"

He wasn't comfortable having at all. He still hadn't got used to it despite how much they'd been having, but Seungcheol and Junghan didn't need to know that. They'd done their best to make him comfortable every time.

Joshua nodded.

Junghan snorted, but shoved Joshua into the stall first, following quickly behind.

"You sure you're fine with this?" Junghan asked, dropping to his knees.

Joshua pushed aside the large part of him that wanted to say no. "Yeah. I'd tell you if I wasn't."

"You don't have to, you know. If you don't want to do something you can say so," Seungcheol spoke up.

"I said I'd tell you."

"You seem... Off, is all."

Junghan groaned. "He's never done anything in a toilet stall before, has he? Of course he sounds off -- he's nervous!"

Seungcheol grunted, sounding unimpressed.

"I'm just worried about condoms. We should use them, even for head, right? That's what I was taught. And what you guys said."

Junghan made a noise and turned to Seungcheol. "You brought some, right?"

Seungcheol swore. "I left them in the car. I thought..."

Junghan sighed and reached into the pocket of the flannel Joshua had borrowed for the night.

"Amateur," he muttered, pulling out his wallet. He ped it and pulled out a , before passing the wallet off to Seungcheol.

"There are five condoms in here. The did you bring six condoms?" Seungcheol asked.

"You never know what's going to happen, it's better to be prepared. Now shut up while I calm Shua's nerves so we can have some real fun."