Thirteen

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

It still hadn't set in what he'd done with Junghan. Done to Junghan. Joshua felt like he was in a dream, or that what happened not even five minutes ago had taken place in some alternate reality.

He felt like that, but he knew he really had just Junghan off. He flicked through the channels in an attempt to find something else for his mind to cling to. He heard something slam, and a whir, and realised it was probably the washing machine cleaning Junghan's spunk covered bedsheets.

Suddenly, Joshua was struck by the realisation Junghan might expect to receive a again. He might even expect it to become a fairly regular occurrence. Oh, god what had Joshua done? s weren't big deals to people like Junghan -- they shouldn't even be a big deal to him! He'd touched himself like that before and it hadn't ever felt like a big deal; why was he freaking out about touching one of his soulmates like that?

The couch dipped next to him, and Junghan rested his head in Joshua's lap. "Interesting?" Junghan asked. Joshua looked down and was surprised to see Junghan looking up at him, rather than turned to the TV.

Joshua glanced to the TV quickly, he'd been so absorbed in his thoughts he didn't have a clue what was on. It looked like your average, run of the mill daytime drama. He shrugged. "I guess? I mean, its something to watch at least."

Junghan laughed. "I meant whatever you were concentrating so hard on."

Joshua wasn't sure how to answer. He didn't miss the double entendre, either, or the way Junghan's mouth had quirked up in amusement when he'd asked the question.

"How'd you know I wasn't watching TV?"

"I changed channels, like, four times."

Joshua nodded and started running his fingers through what he could of Junghan's long hair. If Junghan wanted to say something he'd eventually get around to saying it.

"My mum was right, though," Junghan spoke up after a moment.

"Yeah? About what?" Joshua asked, his voice coming out like a hum.

"She said things feel so much better when you do them with your soulmate. Like, is great, but I'm pretty sure that trumped anything I've ever felt before." Junghan lifted his hand and traced Joshua's nose with it. His eyes looked soft and caring.

"Shua, you know it was really good for me. Don't beat yourself up over it, it was your first time giving another guy a , right? Plenty of time to learn."

And of course Junghan thought Joshua was worrying about whether he'd flicked his wrist at the right time or whatever you'd do to screw up jerking someone off.

Joshua snagged a knot in Junghan's hair and worked it out gently with his fingers. He knew what he was getting himself into when he did what he did, now he had to live with the consequences. Ripping out Junghan's hair was not the correct response to Junghan's self-centeredness.

"Junghan, what time is it?" he asked. He had classes to get to.

Junghan shrugged. "Just check the TV," he told Joshua. He closed his eyes and wriggled on the spot. "I'm tired, Shua, nap with me?"

Joshua shook his head as he clicked the TV Guide button on the remote. Eight thirty. He checked his phone for his class schedule -- his first class started at nine but the professor was always fifteen minutes late. He could take a quick nap, but he hadn't slept last night and a nap would definitely turn into a proper sleep.

Screw it, he'd already covered all the stuff his classes were going through back when he was in America, he could afford to take a day off and not worry about the consequences. University, he could pass.

Being Junghan's soulmate was something he was still trying to figure out.

 

***

 

Joshua was at the cafe. Junghan had a class, so Jun was working. There was one other person in the cafe, who'd been steadily working through a giant cup of coffee. Jun told him they didn't even have cups that large, the guy had brought in his own.

Jun finished wiping down table next to the one Joshua was sitting at. "Do you mind if I join you?"

"Aren't there things you should be doing? You know, it's called doing your job," Joshua responded, highlighting a section of his notes.

"I already wiped all the tables down, and all the seats. Jihoon swept and mopped this morning. There aren't any customers to serve, unless you want something else?" Jun plopped down onto the seat next to Joshua. "Your handwriting's rubbish, by the way."

"Wow, really? I had no idea." The sarcasm dripped from Joshua's words.

"I'm not here to pick on you for your handwriting. Sorry. I wanted to ask you about something."

Joshua nodded, of course he did.

"Bunny told me, about Sunday night and Monday morning," Jun stated simply. Joshua nodded again, unimpressed. He'd expected it -- of course he had, Junghan and Jun were the types to share every gross detail with each other.

Jun clapped a hand to Joshua's back. "I hope you know what you got yourself into." Jun chuckled, his laugh humourless. "Whether you're a or not, he's expecting things from you now. There's a reason his nickname's bunny."

Suddenly, Joshua understood. Why hadn't he connected all the dots earlier? "It isn't because he dressed up as a rabbit one time or he has a heap of Playboy magazines, is it?" This one time Joshua was going to let himself hope.

Jun shook his head, looking sorry.

Damn, what did Joshua ever do to deserve this? He had a feeling once their other soulmate got into the picture, would become a part of his routine.

"I tried to warn you, don't give in on everything bunny wants."

Joshua sat on that for a while. He doodled idly in his notebook, stirring through things in his mind, until Jun nudged him.

"You OK?"

Joshua nodded slowly, still in his own mind. "Yeah, yeah I'm fine."

"Pretty sure your grades won't be. Didn't you say you had class soon?"

Joshua snapped out of it. "What? Yes, class. I should probably get going. I'll talk to you sometime later." Joshua packed away his notebook and highlighters, then headed to the door.

 

When Joshua left his class, he took two steps up the hallway before someone called out to him.

"Shua!"

Joshua turned around and saw Junghan sitting on the floor, his back against the hallway wall. Junghan stood up. Joshua couldn't help but smile -- Junghan looked so genuinely happy it was infectious.

"Well this is a nice surprise," Joshua stated as he readjusted his grip on his bag.

Junghan's grin widened and he reached a hand out to lace Joshua's fingers with his own. He leaned in to press a kiss to Joshua's cheek. Joshua heard the students filing out of the room two steps behind them, heard them whisper and murmur about Junghan's new boy toy. He distinctly heard someone comment that "at least this guy's not old".

Joshua felt himself flush. Didn't Junghan notice people were talking about them? Who was Junghan that people talked about him?

Junghan laughed, squeezed Joshua's hand, then pulled him in closer. They walked down the hallway, hand in hand.

"Don't worry, they're all just upset because I won't have with any of them," Junghan told him once they'd left the building.

Joshua stifled a laugh. "Do you know how conceited that makes you sound?"

Junghan shrugged and knocked his shoulder into Joshua's. "It's still true."

They made their way off campus and walked aimlessly for a while, exchanging jokes and stories. Junghan would point something out, his face bright, and Joshua would huddle in closer to Junghan because damn it was getting cold. Junghan had an anecdote for every spot, it seemed.

"What are your plans for the rest of the night?" Junghan asked while they were stopped at a green light.

"Not sure, probably study?"

"Do you have to study?"

"Don't you?"

Junghan shook his head. "What? No, I flirt with my professors so they give me good marks on assignments."

"I thought you said you didn't do old guys," Joshua teased, smirking.

Junghan smacked Joshua's arm playfully. "I don't do old guys. I flirt with them for --" Suddenly, his face fell. "I'm going to start having to pay attention, aren't I? Now that you and I are actually a thing."

Joshua stopped. He didn't like what Junghan was implying. Not one bit. But he didnt want to bring it up -- better to have it only implied their romantic relationship didn't matter until they'd done something ual than to have it confirmed.

Junghan looked back at Joshua, barely a step in front of him. "You OK?" he asked.

Joshua nodded. Of course he was OK. He simply didn't like the idea of what his soulmate had implied, was all. Nothing major.

Joshua squeezed Junghan's hand and continued walking forward.

"I don't actually flirt with my professors. I study when it's not busy at work or when I'm on the bus or trains alone."

Joshua nodded, it really didn't bother him either way in that moment.

"I thought you should know. I'm not -- that I'm loyal and our relationship matters to me."

Joshua turned to Junghan and gave him a kiss. "I know, if it didn't you probably wouldn't have come to pick me up from class."

They walked in silence until they reached a bus stop. Junghan sat down and dragged Joshua with him. He rested his head on Joshua's shoulder. The two watched the world go by for a short while. Saw people scurrying through the cold, saw people moving about in the building across from them, heard snatches of conversation as people passed by.

They sat in silence, their fingers intertwined, until Junghan took in a shuddering breath.

"I think I'm falling in love with you."

"Really?"

Junghan hesitated before he placed a chaste kiss on Joshua's cheek.

Joshua didn't know what to say or how to react. Junghan probably only thought he was falling in love because of the yesterday.

"I wanted to tell you yesterday after you jerked me off, but I thought it would be too cliche," Junghan explained.

"And this isn't?"

Junghan chuckled and shouldered Joshua. "It's less cliche. A-- are you?"

"Cliche? Very."

Junghan pouted, "You know what I mean."

Joshua smiled and Junghan's hair, then kissed his forehead. Joshua liked Junghan, but love? It was a bit soon to be falling in love, wasn't it?

"You're the most precious thing I have in Korea," Joshua said instead.

Junghan cleared his throat. "Can you stay over at mine tonight? Mum's got work and dad's away again," he asked, looking down as he fiddled with Joshua's hand.

"Yeah, I can stay over," Joshua answered. He realised he was probably signing himself up to give Junghan another , but Junghan would be lonely if Joshua didn't spend the night with him.

Joshua was a big boy, a young man, and he knew his actions would have consequences when he'd pushed ahead with something he wasn't comfortable doing.

 

***

 

It wasn't so bad the second time, Junghan off. Not if Joshua focused on Junghan's little noises, sharp intakes of breath, the pleasure he was giving Junghan. es were just bits of body like an arm, leg, or finger, weren't they?

What was gross was getting on his hand.

 

"You sure you don't want me to return the favour? Or give you head?" Junghan asked after they'd cleaned up the mess.

"I'm fine," Joshua answered as he pulled an exercise book out of his bag. "Kinda want to study."

Junghan wrapped an arm around Joshua's shoulders and placed a kiss on his jaw. "That's my square soulmate. Speaking of, what do you think our other one's going to be like?"

Joshua shrugged as he flipped through the notebook looking for his pages of notes.

"I bet it's a he, and I hope he's hot and kind."

Joshua let out a bark of laughter. "That's all you need in a soulmate? Someone hot and kind?"

"Don't forget male. But yeah, it'll round us out."

Joshua found the page he was looking for. "Do I get an explanation?" he asked.

"OK, so for balance, you need someone who's smart, someone who's nice, and someone's who's good in bed, then you need hotness. You're hot and smart, I'm hot and good in the sack, so the other guy has to be hot and nice."

"How do you know I'm not the nice soulmate?" Joshua jested.

Junghan snorted. "Trust me, neither of us are the nice soulmate."

 

Nothing much interesting happened the next handful of days, bar Jun calling everyone to the cafe after it was closed to get samples of soulmate marks or something for an assignment. Joshua hadn't really been paying attention, he'd simply done what he was asked. He'd been watching the silent drama between Vernon and Seungkwan, who hadn't spoken in weeks.

There was a moment, after Joshua and Vernon returned to the Chois', when Joshua thought he'd helped Vernon realise his feelings for Seungkwan. But, that passed quickly because the kid was denser than cement.

 

Things seemed a little monotonous on Monday, so to break up his schedule a bit Joshua decided to go somewhere other than the cafe for his break between classes.

Joshua found his way to a McDonald's. It'd had been a while since he'd had anything that greasy and heart attack inducing -- since he'd started studying nutrition, actually. Most of him felt a little disgusted at the thought of eating anything from the fast food restaurant, but it was cold outside and it was crowded and warm inside and a small part of him missed the atmosphere of fast food places.

His inner child, he guessed. Or just younger him in general.

Once he'd ordered and sat down, he took the opportunity to observe what was going on around him as he picked at his cheap burger. There were a few young people like him, a handful of businessmen, and what appeared to be a group of mums with at least half a dozen kids between them.

Joshua listened to the cacophony, heard the mother's yelling out to the playground to tell off their kids, heard the businessmen making deals and solving newspaper puzzles, with a man's voice making its way above the rest.

Then suddenly, something brushed against his leg. He looked under the table and saw a small child crawling at top speed under the tables, in amongst everyone's feet.

"Gotcha, you little rascal!" a man shouted playfully. The child under the tables squealed. Then, something grabbed at Joshua's legs and wrapped around them.

Joshua may or may not have screamed.