Twenty One

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

Joshua woke up the next morning with a cold leg and one of Seungcheol's arms over him.

"Either of you two awake?" he whispered.

Junghan groaned and rolled over, taking even more blanket with him. "Trying not to be."

Joshua tried to tug the blanket so it covered him again, but he couldn't do very much with only his left hand, the other arm pinned to his side by Seungcheol.

"Junghan, stop being a blanket hog. My hand's cold," Seungcheol muttered.

Junghan tugged the blanket again. "Shut up, Cheollie, I'm trynna sleep."

Joshua felt Seungcheol move.

"Did you just kick me?" Junghan asked, indignant.

"I nudged you with my foot."

"Your toenail scratched me!"

Joshua tried to pull the blanket over him again. "That sounds really important, but could you guys let me have some blanket?"

Junghan huffed and pushed some of the blanket back to Joshua. "Sorry. Is your hand less cold now, Cheollie?"

"Yeah," Seungcheol hummed, nuzzling his head into Joshua's shoulder.

Joshua nudged Seungcheol's head back.

 

Joshua was shaken awake by Seungcheol.

"What time do you have class?" he asked.

Joshua blinked, his face wrinkling up. "What?"

"Class. What time?"

"Nine? I think? I dunno, I'm asleep."

Seungcheol grinned. "You're definitely awake. You're probably gonna be late, it's already eight thirty."

Joshua sat up, suddenly feeling completely awake. "Really? I have to go the Chois' -- I don't have extra clothes here." Joshua got up and pulled his jeans on.

Seungcheol chuckled. "You can wear something of mine -- might be baggy but it'll be quicker than going to yours. Go for a shower, I'll try find something that'll fit you."

Joshua nodded and raced to the bathroom. He stopped halfway there to go back and kiss Seungcheol. "Thank you!"

He showered quickly, using some of the bodywash Junghan had accidentally left behind (it smelled nothing like Junghan's usual bodywash).

Joshua dried and put his underwear on, wrapped the towel around his shoulders to try combat the chill a little bit, and headed back out the bathroom.

Seungcheol was leaning outside his window, cigarette in hand.

"How are you doing with quitting?" Joshua asked.

"Terribly." Seungcheol exhaled loudly and turned around, his hand still hovering outside the window. He gestured with his other hand to his table. "I couldn't find any pants that would fit you, sorry."

Joshua shrugged. "I've got twig legs, you don't. I was expecting I'd have to wear my own jeans."

While Joshua changed he noticed the apartment was void of a certain whining.

"Wait, where's Junghan?" he asked, zipping up Seungcheol's jacket.

"He left not too long before I woke you up," Seungcheol explained. "Said we should let you sleep. I kinda forgot you had uni and ."

Joshua checked Seungcheol's fridge. There was a couple cans of beer and half a bowl of rice. It wasn't even covered in cling wrap. Joshua closed the fridge -- he wasn't going to be the guy that ate the last of Seungcheol's food.

"Can you drop me off? I'll buy us both breakfast," he asked.

Seungcheol nodded, taking another puff of his cigarette. "I kinda thought me dropping you off was the plan."

"You almost done with that?" Joshua asked about the cigarette, putting on a pair of Seungcheol's socks.

Seungcheol put the cigarette out on his window sill before closing the window. "Just let me brush my teeth and we can go."

Joshua searched for Seungcheol's keys while he waited, finding them in the cleaned out ash tray on Seungcheol's coffee table.

Seungcheol wiped toothpaste off his mouth with the back of his hand as he left the bathroom. Joshua called for his attention and threw the keys to him.

"Won't you need stuff? Like books and pens?" Seungcheol asked when they were stopped at a McDonald's drive through for breakfast.

"There are a couple people I've lent my notes to, I'll be able to borrow a pen and some paper from one of them."

Seungcheol grinned. "It pays to be nice."

"Sure does. What's that grin for?" There was a certain quality to Seungcheol's grin that Joshua wasn't fond of; it was like Seungcheol knew something he didn't.

"Nothing. It makes sense now why you and Junghan are soulmates."

The car creeped up in the line. Joshua's eyebrows furrowed.

"Now? Do Junghan and I --"

Seungcheol made a hushing noise. "Hey, hey. Don't worry, you and Junghan seem perfectly suited for each other. I didn't mean anything by it. It was just supposed to be a funny comment."

Joshua cleared his throat and tucked the worries away. Finally, they made it to the window, Seungcheol paid and they got their food.

Seungcheol put the bag on Joshua's lap. Joshua reached in and grabbed out his chips.

"Do you want your burger now?"

"Here I was thinking you were Mr Safety," Seungcheol joked.

"You've only got one hand on the wheel." Joshua shoved a couple chips in his mouth.

Seungcheol chuckled. Joshua spent the rest of the car ride defending himself from allegations of being a wet blanket.

"You can have the drink by the way," Joshua told Seungcheol as they parked in the university car park.

Joshua leaned over and kissed Seungcheol on the cheek as he unbuckled his seatbelt. "Thanks for dropping me off."

"Wait," Seungcheol called as Joshua opened the door. "Can you kiss me? Without Junghan?"

"Yeah? He made out with you the first night we met you, you're our soulmate. Why wouldn't I be able to kiss you?"

"I thought -- I dunno." Seungcheol shrugged. "You just never have before. I thought you and Junghan must've had some sort of deal? "

Joshua leaned over and kissed Seungcheol again, this time on the lips. He felt the little zap he'd only ever felt when kissing Junghan and Seungcheol.

"Did you feel that zap? Junghan reckons he feels it with both of us."

Seungcheol pulled out his lighter and started fiddling with it. "Yeah, my parents always said something about electrical kisses and soulmates when I was little. But don't change the subject, how'd you deal with Junghan's drive before I came along? You don't seem --"

"I jerked him off. I wanted to wait until I'd met both of you to do anything else." Joshua couldn't hide how rehearsed that answer was.

"You know you don't have to do anything with us, yeah? If you aren't enjoying certain things we're doing -- or don't want to have se--"

Joshua opened the car door. "I'm already late, we can talk about this later, can't we?"

Seungcheol looked taken aback. "Yeah, of course. Don't want to keep you from learning, you paid good money for that." He leaned across and gingerly kissed Joshua on the cheek, like he was unsure if he should be doing it or not.

Joshua thanked him for the lift once again as he got out of Seungcheol's car.

 

***

 

"Guys, can we go on an actual date?" Junghan asked, lazing across Seungcheol's backseat.

They were in a car park, Seungcheol had stopped to have a cigarette. Joshua watched as Seungcheol fumbled with his cigarettes, looking like he was going to take two.

"One, Cheol. You keep saying you're trying to quit, right?" Joshua took the packet off Seungcheol and put it in his glove box.

Seungcheol took a deep breath and nodded. "Yes, thank you." He leaned over and pecked Joshua's temple.

"Guys, a date? Can we have one?" Junghan spoke up again.

Seungcheol's door creaked open. "I'm up for it if you're gonna pay." Seungcheol got out the car and took a few steps before pulling his lighter out of his pocket.

"Shua?"

"A date, like a proper date? No ?" Junghan nodded. Joshua couldn't hide his disbelief. "Of course we can go on a date, it's what boyfriends do."

"You sound like you don't believe me," Junghan accused.

Seungcheol coughed on his smoke. "Angel, your whole life revolves around ."

Junghan sat up properly. "No it doesn't! I want to show you two I actually care about you."

There was a silence as Joshua and Seungcheol tried to come up with something to say.

"See! Neither of you even got like 'oh, Junghan, we know you care. You do plenty to show us!"

 Joshua saw Seungcheol duck his head. "We know you care," Joshua started. "You don't have to prove it." Joshua thought it would be nice if he did, though.

Junghan whined. "It's been brought to my attention I treat the both of you like you're just for . Let me show you guys that's not true!"

Seungcheol dropped his cigarette on the ground and smushed it into the ground with the toe of his sneaker.

"Junghan, switch with me -- Seungcheol smells like smoke now," Joshua climbed over the centre console into the back seat.

Seungcheol took his place in the driver's seat and buckled himself in. "You're lucky this car's so crap or I'd kick you out of it, you can't just climb through the car like that." The car sputtered to life. "Angel, we already agreed to a date. You don't have to try convince us."

Junghan climbed into the front passenger seat, flashing a mischievous grin at Seungcheol.

Seungcheol rolled his eyes. "I can never get a nice car; you two would climb through it like children."

The car started reversing and Joshua and Junghan scrambled to get their seatbelts on.

"So does tomorrow work for everyone?" Junghan asked.

Joshua saw Seungcheol's frown in the rearview mirror. "I'm babysitting Little Rascal and I have an old deal to catch up with."

"The day after?" Junghan asked.

Joshua leaned forward, his chin resting on his hands.

Seungcheol hummed. "I'll be free until sixish. What time?"

"I was thinking a picnic? It'll have to be either breakfast or dinner, I've got classes and work."

"Can we have the picnic early enough to watch the sunrise?" Joshua asked.

Junghan snorted. "We can watch the sunset any day, why would you wake up early to see it happen in reverse?"

"It'll be a commitment thing. You know -- 'I care about you both enough to wake up before the sun'," Seungcheol answered.

"Exactly," Joshua agreed.

Junghan turned to face Joshua. "If it means something to you, I guess I can wake up that early. But, we're spending tomorrow night at Cheollie's. I'm not waking up early enough to leave the house and travel somewhere for a sunrise."

A smile broke out on Joshua's face. "OK, but we're cooking breakfast at Cheol's, then -- no cheating. And going grocery shopping all together tomorrow."

Seungcheol chuckled. "Who would've thought you'd like the cute domestic ?"

"Isn't the 'cute domestic ' the reason people look forward to meeting their soulmates? It's been fed to me as the ideal for as long as I can remember." Joshua leaned his head on Junghan's seat and watched as Seungcheol's face screwed up.

"Yeah, I guess."

 

***

 

"So, what are we planning on making for breakfast?" Junghan asked as they entered the supermarket.

"Something easy," Seungcheol offered.

Junghan shot him a look. "Here I was thinking we'd prepare a five course breakfast," he deadpanned.

Joshua chuckled. Seungcheol turned to him, mouth pursed. "Do you have any actual ideas?"

"I know how to make pancakes from scratch."

Junghan's face lit up. "That could be nice! Imagine the smell wafting through your apartment, Cheollie. It would feel so homey!"

"My home's already homey," Seungcheol grumbled. "Besides, don't they need a lot of ingredients?"

Joshua shrugged. "I guess? But I'll pay for it all, my parents just sent money through."

Junghan beamed. He grabbed hold of Seungcheol's hand. "C'mon, pancakes! Don't you want to wake up for the sunrise and pancakes?"

"Pancakes is fine, I was worried about money. None of us are swimming in it."

"Pancakes it is! Joshua, what do we need?" Junghan dragged Seungcheol off towards one of the isles. Joshua quickly grabbed Seungcheol's hand, worried about being left behind and lost in an unfamiliar supermarket.

Forty five minutes later, Joshua was settling into the backseat of Seungcheol's car. Grocery shopping with Junghan and Seungcheol was something Joshua didn't ever want to do again.

Junghan had been surprisingly well versed in the art of bargain hunting, but if he found something on special he liked, he'd put it in the shopping basket regardless of whether they needed it for pancakes or not. 

Seungcheol had insisted on carrying the basket. He'd managed to catch whenever Junghan had put something unnecessary in the basket and had quickly put it back each time.

This, of course, meant Joshua spent most of the time listening to Junghan and Seungcheol bicker and complain.

"I'm never doing that again," Joshua announced as Seungcheol reversed out the parking spot.

"If Seungcheol had let me put in anything everything would've been fine. It would've taken a lot less time."

Seungcheol made a noise if disbelief. "If you were paying I would've let you -- don't try take advantage of somebody offering to pay for things!"

"If Joshua minded he would've said something. He saw me putting stuff in the basket," Junghan bit back.

Joshua sighed. "Junghan, stop being petty. Seungcheol was trying to do the right thing."

Junghan gasped and turned around in his seat. "Why are you on his side? You've known me longer!"

"There are no sides, you're just sulking. Next time we go shopping you can put something in the basket and I'll pay for it, alright?"

Junghan shot Joshua a grin before turning back around and making himself comfortable. "You're so kind, Shua!"

"Why? All he's learned is to keep sulking to get what he wants," Seungcheol said, obviously disapproving.

"I just hate having him sulk -- he's a grown adult, if he hasn't grown out of it by now he never will," Joshua answered.

Junghan made an indignant noise.

Seungcheol made an amused sound.

"It's the truth and you know it, don't pretend to feel insulted," Joshua told Junghan.

Junghan made a frustrated noise. "I hate that you know know me so well!"

 

Joshua woke up to an incessant beeping. Bleary, he blinked a couple times and reached for his phone and turned the alarm off.

The space either side of Joshua was empty and cold. Which was unusual, Seungcheol's fold out bed was usually cramped and too warm with the three of them crowded onto it.

"How do we tell him we missed it?" Junghan murmured, his voice coming from by the table.

There was an exhale. "We set the alarms to the wrong time, he'll understand. There's always tomorrow morning." Seungcheol assured Junghan.

"I wanted to prove I care," Junghan said in a voice so small Joshua almost missed it.

"There's still pancakes," Joshua reminded them, his voice thick with sleep.