Twenty Three

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

The three of them, Joshua, Seungcheol, and Junghan, were at the cafe. Junghan's shift had just ended and he'd convinced Joshua and Seungcheol to split a burger with him.

("Shua, you remember how good the burger was when we shared one, don't you?" "Of course, it was a great burger." "So let's split one, the three of us. It can be a date, and we can go for a romantic walk afterwards." "Sure, sounds good." "Have you two seen how expensive these burgers are?" "Cheollie, that's why the three of us are sharing one. They're worth it, trust me.")

 "Can you still make it tomorrow night? Remember the club's --"

Junghan kissed Seungcheol on the mouth to interrupt him. "A nicer club than you usually go to, so Joshua and I should be careful because you don't know what type of people might be there. Yes, you've told us a million times, and yes we'll be there. Of course we'll be there."

Seungcheol nodded. He still didn't look convinced. Joshua reached a hand under the table and placed it on Seungcheol's knee, rubbing it reassuringly.

"Cheol, we'll be there, and Junghan and I will keep each other out of trouble."

Seungcheol looked a little abated.

Junghan gasped. "Why does it work when Joshua says that stuff?"

"Your version of responsible is going to Jun's and getting smashed instead of going out." Joshua supplied.

"You, ah, also tried to take a random pill some guy gave you the other night," Seungcheol said, his voice quiet.

Junghan sighed. "I wasn't going to take it then, I was going wait until I wasn't drunk. I'm curious what it's like being high."

Seungcheol sighed. "That stuff isn't safe!" he hissed.

"I'm a grown man, I can make my own decisions."

"What if you lost it in Cheol's car or in his apartment?" Joshua asked.

Junghan rolled his eyes. "I wouldn't have lost it. But it was dumb, I know, my impulsiveness got the better of me. Thanks for flushing it, Shua."

Joshua kissed Junghan. "No problem, one of us has to be the responsible one." He nuzzled Junghan's cheek with his nose.

Seungcheol coughed. "We really shouldn't have these conversations in public, you two are really loud." He shifted in his chair. "Back to our angel getting smashed at Jun's."

"It is responsible! What else am I supposed to do -- not drink?"

"Not drink as much," Seungcheol teased.

Junghan scoffed. "Says you, do you realise how much you actually drink?"

Seungcheol shrugged. "I'm sure you're going to tell me. Everyone does eventually."

To Joshua, Seungcheol's drinking habits seemed like a sore spot for him. Joshua decided to interject before Junghan could hit it again.

"You both drink more than I do, so you both lose. Why don't we talk about something else? Junghan, how long 'til the food gets here?"

Seungcheol grabbed Joshua's hand off his knee and caught it in his own, tangling their fingers together.

"I don't know, I'm not the chef. It doesn't look too busy so I was expecting it out by now. I can go check if you're that impatient." Junghan moved to get out his seat.

"No, its fine, don't bother the chef. I was looking for something else to talk about -- maybe something in the kitchen's broken or not working today."

Junghan shook his head. "Unfortunately not, the chef's probably just taking his time because he knows we ordered it and I'm pretty sure I'm not his favourite employee."

Seungcheol grunted. "That's ridiculous -- everyone loves you. Even Jihoon, and you've been terrible to him since you found out he's my best friend."

Junghan shrugged. "Of course everyone loves me, I've got the Yoon family charm. That and the long hair, everyone's like putty in my hands. The chef? Still not a huge fan of me. He likes the customers I bring in, sometimes they're worth putting up with me."

Finally, Jihoon put the plate down on the table in front of them.

"Sorry for the wait, something more important came up for the chef to deal with." He didn't look sorry at all, his face almost completely neutral.

Junghan snickered. "His boyfriend, probably. Always something new with that one. Tell him it's fine and I still love him."

"If I tell him that he'll know you're trying to up."

Junghan shrugged.

"Jihoon, you should smile more -- you're a waiter. The face of the cafe or whatever, yeah? Smile." Seungcheol teased.

The corners of Jihoon's mouth raised a little for a split second before falling even further down. "You guys know what I'm like. Why waste time and effort forcing a smile?"

Seungcheol threw his head back and laughed. After he calmed down he turned back to Jihoon. "With an attitude like that, why does your boss keep you around?"

Jihoon shrugged.

"I'd be too scared to try leave without paying when he's on shift," Joshua chimed in.

Joshua swore he saw a light dusting of pink across Jihoon's cheeks. "There are other tables I have to serve. You three enjoy your burger," he said particularly stoically. Then he promptly turned around and made his way back to the kitchen.

"You probably made his day with that, Joshua. He likes to think he's scary but people don't take him seriously because of his height," Seungcheol said. Joshua nodded, watching Junghan carefully as he cut up the burger.

"Hannie, remember Cheol put in less because he drives us around so much -- give him slightly more than the two of us."

Junghan nodded and moved the knife the tiniest bit to one side.

"You don't have to do that," Seungcheol said, reaching for the knife. Junghan pushed down, the knife clattering against the plate before Seungcheol could take the knife off him.

"Oops, too late."

Using the knife, Junghan pushed the slightly larger piece of burger towards Seungcheol's side of the plate.

"It looks really good." Seungcheol breathed in deeply. "It smells even better."

"The price us definitely justifiable," Joshua agreed, getting slightly impatient with how slowly Junghan was cutting the remaining burger in two.

"I've had it twice and almost ed both times, they're so good." Finally, the knife hit the plate. Junghan wiggled the knife a little and pushed a burger third towards Joshua.

Junghan picked up his part of the burger, most of it falling back on the plate. "I'm pretty sure I'd rather eat one these burgers than make out."

Joshua nodded enthusiastically. "I'd definitely choose one of these burgers over kissing."

Junghan laughed, some of his burger tumbled out of his mouth and back onto the plate. Seungcheol shook his head, smiling fondly.

Suddenly, Joshua realised what he'd said. He couldn't believe he'd said that out loud. He was glad his soulmates were taking it as a joke instead of getting offended by it.

Junghan swallowed his mouthful of burger. "Are we really that bad at kissing, Shua?" He jutted out his bottom lip, over exaggerating it.

Joshua only just managed to stop himself from bursting out into laughter.

Seungcheol gave an exaggerated sigh. "Maybe we are, Hannie. You know Shua, he'd never tell us we're bad kissers. Maybe we should practice." He leaned towards Junghan and the two kissed. When they pulled away, Seungcheol shrugged. "I get where Joshua's coming from -- that was the worst kiss ever. Maybe we should keep practising?"

Junghan broke character and playfully hit Seungcheol's shoulder. "The burger's going cold, we should finish that first."

 

*

 

Joshua pulled another shirt out of his wardrobe. "This?"

Seungcheol shrugged and laid back, the bottom half of his legs dangling from Joshua's bed. "I dunno, you look good in everything."

Joshua sighed and pulled off the shirt he was wearing to put on the new one.

"I really don't see a difference."

"You haven't even looked. This one's a different colour."

Seungcheol sat up. He grinned but didn't offer any feedback.

"Good?" Joshua asked.

Seungcheol nodded. "Yeah, you look like you instead of like you're trying to dress like Junghan."

Joshua cocked an eyebrow.

Seungcheol chuckled. "You dress kinda soft, a little sophisticated. Kinda like a human Bambi. Junghan doesn't seem as vulnerable."

"I look like Bambi?" Joshua looked down at the shirt he'd just put on. He groaned. "I can't believe you're right."

Seungcheol looked smug.

"I can't go into a club looking like Bambi, someone'll hit on me," Joshua fretted.

"So? It's not like you're gonna go into a toilet stall with them -- Junghan has a hard enough time convincing you."

Joshua sighed. He pointedly turned around back to his wardrobe. He'd known it was only a matter of time until Seungcheol tried to bring this topic back up again.

"When are we actually going to talk about this?" Seungcheol asked, his tone calm. "I just want you to know you don't have to have with us. We don't expect--"

"Junghan does," Joshua mumbled before he could stop himself. He instantly regretted it, he could tell Seungcheol wasn't going to be able to drop it very easily now.

"No he doesn't -- not really."

"You remember what he was like before we had ?" Joshua started rifling through his clothes.

"Yeah, he could be a little ty sometimes. But if we explained to him you don't want to --"

"Who says I don't want to? We're always very clear about --"

"You know what I mean!" Seungcheol groaned. "You give consent, that doesn't mean you're having for you."

Joshua picked out a jumper, deciding to just embrace the Bambi look. "I thought was about the other person -- people, most of the time in our case."

There was a very loud 'thump' as Seungcheol flung himself back onto Joshua's bed. "Stop being difficult! Please, for just one second. I know you know what I mean or you wouldn't be like this right now. You don't have to have ." Seungcheol took a sharp intake of breath like he'd just realised something.

". I... Have no idea how to talk about this with you."

Joshua made a noise. "Why do you think I've been avoiding it? It isn't simple." He let out a long breath. "Which looks better?" Joshua held out the jumper in his hand and picked up a jacket from near the front of his rack.

Seungcheol powered ahead, ignoring Joshua's attempt at a distraction. "I can talk to Junghan. If he knew you were only having  for him... Right?"

"It's not that simple -- it makes both of you feel good and loved, and it's not that bad now that I've gotten used to it."

Joshua threw put the jacket back on his rack while he waited for a response from Seungcheol. He turned around nervously, not sure what he'd see.

Seungcheol sat up. "If you think it's worth it, cool." Seungcheol winced. "I mean, it's completely your decision, you know? I don't want you to feel like you have to."

"You keep saying that." Joshua pulled the jumper over his head.

"It's true. If you want we can talk to Junghan and --"

Joshua sat down next to Seungcheol. "I tried telling him before we met you and he didn't get it."

"Oh. I -- do you think it'd be worth it to try explain again?"

Joshua made a face. "I don't think so, he thought I just meant I wanted to wait until we met our other soulmate or something? I don't think he'll ever understand."

Seungcheol nodded, wrapping an arm around Joshua's waist. "Just keep in mind you don't have to -- Junghan and I are perfectly capable of having without you. isn't as important to a relationship as you might think -- we can find other things for 'feeling loved', yeah?"

Joshua placed his head on Seungcheol's shoulder. He thought about what Seungcheol had said, his mind finding its way back to that one time he'd done homework instead of joining in.

"I like the after glow," he admitted. "The atmosphere, while we're all just joking and playful and it's really loving."

"I can invite you to cuddle if you want," Seungcheol offered. "You can stay away from the and enjoy the bit you like."

Would Joshua deserve to be a part of that post coital atmosphere if he hadn't joined in? Instead of asking, Joshua nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."

Seungcheol's grip around Joshua's waist tightened and he pulled Joshua closer to his side. "Good."

They sat there for a few moments, Joshua wondering when Junghan would be over for them to go out.

"Was I meant to pick Hannie up?" Seungcheol asked.

"No, he's just lazy and usually late."

"Oh."

The door swung open and Junghan jumped onto Joshua's bed. "So I'm lazy?"

Joshua laid back, his head landing on a bony part of Junghan. "Yes. You're very lazy, and an eavesdropper. You know that."

Junghan giggled. "If it was anyone else I'd be offended. You two were awfully quiet for a very long time."

"We were cuddling," Seungcheol answered simply.

Junghan raised an eyebrow. "Quietly?"

"Yes, Junghan, quietly. Some people know the value of silence," Joshua teased.

Junghan whined. "You just don't appreciate noise."

"We don't appreciate your noise, more like," Seungcheol said, tickling Junghan's foot.

Junghan kicked out, pretending to be offended. "You're both horrible and I hate you."

Joshua snickered, rolling off Junghan. "We should probably get going, right? I'm pretty sure Seungcheol said he's not completely sure how to get there."

Seungcheol pulled his phone out of his pocket to check the time. "Yeah," he nodded, "we should probably get going now."

They made their way out of the Chois' house and to Seungcheol's car parked out on the curb. Once they were seated in the car, Seungcheol reached over to the glove box and pulled out a mapbook.

"Can either of you two read these things? I need a navigator."

"What's the name of the club?" Junghan demanded. Seungcheol had to take a moment to think before hesitantly saying the name. Junghan scoffed. "I know where that is, just go to the bar we were at last time and I'll direct you from there." Junghan shoved the book back into the glovebox.

Seungcheol nodded. "Sounds like a plan."

 

When they stepped inside the club Joshua didn't notice much difference between this one and the ones they usually went to. 

Junghan leaned in close, his hair brushing the top of Joshua's shoulder. "The drinks here won't be cheap, probably don't have too many."

"And this is coming from you?" Joshua joked, grabbing Junghan's hand. He still wasn't used to the clubs and was wary of getting caught in a crowd without Junghan or Seungcheol.

Seungcheol placed a hand on the small of Joshua's back and started guiding him through the club.

"I like my alcohol cheap or free," Junghan replied. Then he spoke up a bit. "Cheollie, can we dance? The three of us? Usually, we just sit around the bar."

Seungcheol glanced to Joshua. "Can we handle him?" he joked.

Joshua shrugged. "He just wants to dance, I handle him on my own frequently." Just a hint of bitterness crept through in Joshua's tone. 

Seungcheol checked his phone. "Let's find Jihoon first then we'll dance."

Junghan's head turned instantly. Joshua followed his gaze, spotting Jihoon's small frame at the bar.

"Found him." Junghan tugged Joshua towards the bar, Seungcheol following closely. "You know he's always at the bar."

 

*

 

Joshua grunted as Junghan stopped again. "Hannie, please, you know I care about you but if you stop to point out a sign with that guy on it again I'm leaving you on the side of the road."

Joshua tugged on Junghan's sleeve, unimpressed with how drunk he'd gotten despite the warning about the price of drinks he'd given Joshua earlier that night.

Seungcheol chuckled and said something, his words so slurred Joshua couldn't understand him. Instead of trying to interpret he turned his attention to Jihoon.

"He was making fun of Junghan getting left on the side of the road."

 "Cheol, I'll leave you behind, too. Jihoon's not big enough to get you home alone." To Jihoon, in a quieter voice, Joshua asked, "You aren't, right?"

Jihoon nodded. "We have another friend that usually comes out with us. that he's been busy lately or I'd be in the same state as this big oaf." On his last word, Jihoon hit Seungcheol's back with an impressively loud thump.

Junghan stopped. "You know, Cheollie, we haven't met this other friend of yours."

Joshua sighed and threw up his arms. Junghan's arms tightened around him.

"Woah, Shua, I'll fall!"

"I said I'd leave you to get home on your own if you stopped again, didn't I?" Joshua asked, only half joking.

"If I stopped to point out that hot actor, you said! Remember?" Junghan rested his head on Joshua's shoulder and looked up at him.

Joshua didn't know how somebody could look so cute and innocent while as drunk as Junghan was. "You're lucky I love you."

He heard Jihoon in through his teeth. "You'll regret that in the morning."

Joshua shrugged, walking again. It was just an expression. Besides, he was sure Junghan wouldn't even remember in the morning.