Six

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

Joshua was on laying on his belly, textbooks spread out on his bed in front of him, when his phone vibrated.

 

2:11 pm

im bored again

but i got some really good gossip

apparently that chan from the showcase yesterday asked vernon out on a date

can u find out more?

2:13 pm

no answer?

shua im bored

lets play a game

every time i typ a full sentence of my essay ill send u a meme

2:14 pm

ull even explain the meme to u if u dont get it

 

Junghan. Of course, who else? Joshua decided to ignore it. He was studying, and Junghan had an essay to do, and they were both busy. He looked back to the textbook, his eyes flicking to the colourful diagram. After his phone vibrating for almost a minute straight, he rolled his eyes and picked up his phone.

 

2:16 pm

pls reply

shua if u dont answer ill assume u died

im very important

esp to u

im ur soulmate

answer me!!!

ill cry

do u want that?

 

Joshua chuckled, the messages just kept coming. He turned off his phone's vibrate before it could get annoying.

 

2:17 pm

shua, u kno how much attention i need already

ill spam u

ill let jun message u

actually no i wont

ur too hood, too good for him

2:18 pm

good, too good

not hood

ur not hood

u probably grew up

in a nice house

like the

ones in american

movies

is

this

getting

annoying

yet?

2:19 pm

i hav to get my essay done

so im giving jun my phone

hes under strict orders to send dots until you reply

.

.

 

Joshua shook his head and sent a dot back. He was not about to watch twenty dots fly up his screen in rapid succession. Junghan sure was shaping up to be the quite handful, and it seemed his friends would only encourage it.

 

2:21 pm

Yes, OK. You can send a meme every time you type up a sentence.

2:22 pm

Whatever gets you to shut up

 

2:22 pm

holy u r rly 4ml. its lyk im readin a book. rlax, send sum lurv

 

Joshua grinned, it must be Jun. He was glad this wasn't the type of texting Junghan used -- it was almost undecipherable. Joshua had to look some of it up.

 

(Nd sum n00ds)

2:23 pm

(W8, not nudes, jst shirtlss pics)

(K, nt tht etha)

2:24 pm

sorry, that was jun

hes a prick

nd not the typ u want in u

im trying to concentrate - dont send any pics

 

Joshua let his phone be, and set his attention back to his textbooks. Almost every minute Joshua received a meme from Junghan. Pretty much every single one was funny, eliciting at least a grin.

 

2:33 pm

Ok, they're really distracting. We both need to be focusing on something right now. Don't send any more for now.

2:34 pm

tbh im not even doing my essay

im just sending memes now

2:35 pm

Junghan! You should focused on your work!

2:35 pm

i just imagine ur voice but really stern coz of how u type

2:36 pm

it doesn't suit u

i havent laughed this hard since i sold vernon a mud pie

 

There was a knock on his door. "Come in!" he called out. The door opened and someone came in.

 

2:37 pm

no wait that makes me sound like a bad person

, i kind of am

nvm people still love me

 

Josh's lips quirked up, there was something about Junghan, even if he had a lot of negative personality traits, that was just charming.

"Junghan?" Vernon guessed.

Joshua nodded. "He sends the best messages. I told him he's distracting me, but he keeps sending them even though he's supposed to be working on an assignment himself."

"Oh. How'd your date go?"

Joshua bobbed his head, trying to seem casual. He wasn't sure if it had been a date, but minor details. "Pretty good, we discovered we'll actually be going to the same uni as of Monday when I start." Joshua rearranged his textbooks to make it seem like he planned on doing something. Suddenly, he remembered Dokyeom, and figured the boy was as good a topic as any.

"But uh, what's the deal with Dokyeom? He was there today, at one of the tables, and he insisted he sit near Junghan yesterday at the showcase."

Vernon chuckled. "Back when Dokyeom, Mingyu, and Seungkwan first started highschool, a couple students used to pick on Dokyeom because he had this thing for horse puns. Junghan found out, and he was apparently known around the school as an angel or something even though he wasn't, but he was super friendly and got the kids to back off on Dokyeom. The school angel took the school fool under his wing, so now Dokyeom thinks he owes Junghan, and tries to pay him back by making sure he doesn't get his heart broken or something."

Joshua hummed. Was Dokyeom worried he would hurt Junghan somehow, or had Junghan already been hurt by someone else?

"If not for Dokyeom, I wouldn't know Junghan, so you probably wouldn't have met him so quickly." Joshua realised Vernon probably thought he was jealous or something, so he schooled his features into something less brooding.

"Junghan told me that Chan kid asked you out on a date. Are you going to accept?" Joshua asked, suddenly remembering the text. Vernon nodded. "What does Seungkwan think about it?" It seems I judged this kid and what Seungkwan means to him wrong.

"Doesn't matter, does it?" Vernon looked and sounded confused.

Joshua sat up, Vernon couldn't really be that thick, could he? "Of course it does! What are you going to do when he finds out?"

"I already brought it up with him last night. He said I should give Chan a chance and go on a date."

Joshua furrowed his eyebrows -- so Seungkwan wasn't the jealous type?

"Vernon, Joshua, could you come to the loungeroom please? I have something to discuss with both of you," Mrs Choi's voice carried through the house.

"Coming!" Vernon yelled as he and Josh left Joshua's room, Joshua closing his door behind him.

On the loungeroom coffee table was a single A4 page. Mrs Choi was sitting on one of the recliners; she motioned for the two young men to sit down on the adjacent couch.

Joshua swallowed thickly as he sat down, the awkwardness of the talk looming in the air. He really didn't want to hear all this -- he didn't need to hear all this.

"So, I have to talk to you both about an uncomfortable topic," Mrs Choi began once they were both settled down. Yup, Josh knew it, . "Joshua, I'm not your mother and you're an adult, so I can't police your actions. Hansol, sweetie, your my firstborn and a teenager with hormo-"

"Mum, dad told me about the birds and the bees when I was, like, eleven, ok? I know about my changing body and raging hormones," Vernon said, sounding every bit the embarrassed teenager. Poor kid, thinking it's just the puberty talk.

"Sweetie, this is about exploring your urges in a responsible way." Joshua watched, slightly amused, as the penny dropped. Vernon shifted uncomfortably.

Joshua cleared his throat. "Mrs Choi, I have studying to do, so can I..?" he trailed off, trying to signal he meant "go do that and skip this" with out seeming rude. He had no interest in exploring his urges past his right hand, and the following talk would just make him uncomfortable.

"Just let me say a few short things to you and you're free." Joshua sat still, hoping it really would be short. "First, you've met your soulmate now, so if you ever want to spend the night out with Junghan you can; I'm sure your parents are sending you enough money to rent a hotel room --"

"Mum, Joshua's an adult. Just tell him not to bring anyone home," Vernon interrupted. Joshua was glad for it, his face was so hot he knew he was a wonderful shade of red.

"Also, make sure to be safe -- the page on the table has some good resources, one of my gay friends assures me," Mrs Choi continued as if she hadn't been interrupted. Joshua wondered if she'd looked through the websites herself or had just gotten the list from her friend.

"Yeah, of course Mrs Choi. I'm not totally inexperienced, so I think Junghan and I can figure things out when we get to that stage." Joshua stammered the first thing to that came to mind to let himself escape.

He groaned as he closed his bedroom door behind him. He'd lied and told Mrs Choi he wasn't totally inexperienced. He snorted at himself, he'd had a boyfriend in highschool and had kissed before, so it technically wasn't a lie, but he'd suggested he'd done more than make out.

He cleared his bed, putting all his textbooks on the floor, and flopped dramatically onto it.

That had been the most embarrassing five minutes of his time in Korea so far. He knew Mrs Choi meant well, but that sort of stuff was always embarrassing to talk about with someone older -- and she'd been so genuine about it!

He definitely had to avoid Mrs Choi for the rest of the day. And, he had to find out more about the Vernon/Chan situation for Junghan. (He'd give it maybe half an hour or so before trying to find Vernon -- Mrs Choi seemed quite set on having that conversation with her son.

Joshua rolled to the side of his bed and reached for a textbook. He grabbed the first one he got his hands on, and hauled it up. He rested it on his stomach and continued reading from where he'd left off.

Almost three quarters of an hour later he set the textbook down and made his way to Vernon's room. He opened Vernon's door and walked in. Vernon was on his bed, book in hand.

"So, continuing our earlier conversation, Seungkwan's fine with you going out on a date with Chan?" Joshua asked, opening the topic back up.

Vernon threw his book down. "Yes! Oh my god, why wouldn't he be?"

"He just seems like the jealous, possessive type. Doesn't seem like the type open to 'sharing' you with someone else." Joshua shrugged casually.

"Seungkwan already 'shares' me, I have other friends."

Joshua rolled his eyes. Doesn't Vernon realise he and Seungkwan weren't subtle? He'd lived there all of a few days and he could see they were a couple! "Romantically."

Vernon burst into laughter. "You think -- Seungkwan and I? No!"

Judging by Vernon's reaction, he didn't realise how much like boyfriends he and Seungkwan were. Joshua decided Vernon was obtuse, either because he didn't realise he was dating his best friend, or because he didn't realise how in your face they were as a couple.

Joshua put his hands up in a vaguely apologetic fashion. "Sorry, I just assumed. You guys are really touchy and act like you're dating. It was pretty much confirmed in my mind when I came in last night to ask you something and found you both spooning in your sleep."

Vernon turned bright red. "Spooning? Really? Wow, umm... I guess it was you that put my laptop on the desk, then? Thanks for that."

So he doesn't realise they're dating? Joshua felt himself deflate. The two would have issues unless they're feelings for each other were out in the open.

Joshua shrugged and bobbed his head. "No problem." He walked back out of Vernon's room and stopped just outside the doorway. "You were big spoon by the way," he shot over his shoulder.

Hopefully the kid would do something with that information. Maybe something would click.

 

***

 

Joshua blinked awake groggily. An obnoxious whirring sound had woken him up. And footsteps.

Oh god, someone had broken into the Chois' house. They had some form of electric weapon and were going to kill him. Josh reached for his phone.

 

Sep 28

3:28 am

Junghan, I think someone broke into the Chois' house. What do I do?

 

It didn't say something about Joshua that the first person he texted was Junghan. Not at all.

 

3:30 am

omg, shua tell someone who can do sumthin

like one of the chois???

why message me???

3:31 am

You deserve to know why one of your soulmates died.

3:32 am

We only just met

3:33 am

u wont die, silly

just dont go after them and try to defend the house

wat makes u think someone broke in?

3:35 am

I hear footsteps and a weird whirring noise

I'll send a recording

 

Joshua took a audio recording and played it back to make he could the noise through it. He could, so he sent it to Junghan.

 

3:36 am

u dork omg

thats their washing machine

weird time to do washing but *shrugs*

3:38 am

I've never heard their washing machine before! Please never bring this up.

3:38 am

dont worry, i wont if u owe me a favour for it

u woke me up

 

Owing Junghan a favour was a small price to pay for Joshua's pride. Joshua had just completely blown a load of early morning washing out of proportion.

 

3:40 am

OK, I owe you a favour. Thanks

3:40 am

whateva just go to sleep

3:41 am

we have classes tomorrow

goodnite shua xx

3:43 am

Good night, sleep well

3:44 am

meet me at the cafe tomorrow morning

just walk with vdrnon

3:45 am

Sure thing, see you then

 

***

 

Joshua's alarm woke him up at a more reasonable seven o'clock. He got dressed, had some cereal for breakfast, brushed his teeth, and styled his hair.

He'd also told Mrs Choi he planned on meeting Junghan at the cafe that morning and asked her whether or not she thought Vernon would be OK with walking there with him.

She'd went off to check with Vernon. He heard something about blankets in the washing machine.

"Joshua, I only just woke up! I'm not going to have time to get ready before we have to leave, so call Junghan to pick you up!" Vernon called from his room.

Joshua smirked and headed to Vernon's room. "You've been awake for hours, I heard you moving around the house at three thirty."

Vernon groaned.

"But, I'll get Junghan to come around and walk with us anyway."

Vernon groaned again, but agreed to get dressed and head to the cafe.

Satisfied, Joshua backed out of Vernon's room, and headed to his own.

 

7:18 am

Can you walk with Vernon and I to the cafe from his place?

7:19 am

k, can do

b there soon

 

Junghan arrived only minutes later, a plastic bag in hand and a backpack slung over one shoulder.

"What's your room look like?" He asked as soon as he saw Joshua.

"A room," Joshua shrugged.

Junghan rolled his eyes. "Show me."

Joshua led Junghan through to his bedroom. Junghan sat down on Joshua's bed and bounced a little. "It's too new. And your cover's childish -- any sleepovers'll have to be at mine."

"Sleepovers?"

"Sleepovers, yeah. Jun, my friend the waiter you met, has the most finely tuned gaydar ever. He reckons you're gay. I'm into guys, and we're soulmates. So we'll have sleepovers sometime, won't we? Cute little movie nights that end up in us so tired we just want to snuggle each other as we fall asleep. That sort of thing."

Joshua nodded. "Uh, sure? Of course." If that was all Junghan wanted from a sleepover, Joshua was fine with it.

Junghan stood up. "Good. Now, where's Vernon? I brought food for him." Junghan stalked to the kitchen. Joshua grabbed his bag and followed him.

Something about Junghan seemed different than usual to Joshua. But, he didn't really have much to base that off, did he? He could count the number of times he'd hung out with Junghan on one hand.

Vernon entered the kitchen not long after Josh and Junghan did. Junghan a takeaway container and the bag of food at the boy's chest. "The bag is school food, container for while we walk." Then, Junghan turned to Joshua. "You got your stuff for your first class?" Joshua nodded, lifting up his bag as proof. "Let's go then."

Joshua and Vernon followed Junghan out the door. Vernon trailed after Joshua and Junghan as they walked.

"Thanks for coming by," Joshua said to Junghan, hoisting his backpack so a strap was resting on each shoulder.

"It's fine, any excuse to be around you, Shua."

Joshua kicked at a pebble. "Really, thanks. How'd you get to the Chois' so quickly?"

"I was on a bus, it had a stop not too far from there."

Joshua nodded. "Makes sense."

Junghan laughed awkwardly before turning to Vernon. "So, why didn't our precious Vernon want to come to the cafe this morning?"

"Just felt off."

There was a moment where Joshua tried to joke about Vernon having a wet dream, which was shut down by Junghan. ("Haven't you been having them for years? So, don't be embarrassed, they happen.")

The rest of the walk Vernon was silent, leaving Junghan and Joshua to themselves.

"Is it just me or are we more comfortable when we text?" Junghan asked after a moment of awkward silence.

Joshua laughed and nodded. "Yeah, it's like that for me, too. It could be the soulmate bond? Maybe we 'feel' it when we're around each other and just have to get used to it?"

Junghan shrugged. "Maybe." Joshua felt a hand reach out for his and laced his fingers with Junghan's. "Is this OK?"

Joshua nodded. "Yeah, I like it. Our fingers fit together perfectly."

Junghan chuckled. "They do, don't they? How do we act, though? Like --"

"Let's just go with," Joshua suggested. "Do what we want. If it feels weird we tell each other."

Junghan smirked and bumped their interlocked hands into Joshua's thigh. "OK."

"Oh, it's like that, is it?" Joshua teased, retaliating by repeating the action but hitting Junghan's thigh.

Junghan grinned and swung their arms. "Yeah, yeah it is. Whatcha gonna do, Shua?"

 

 

===============

A/N:

I'm not too happy with this chapter, just feels like I'm getting too bogged down in the verkwan. Gosh I miss writing them. 

 

But, I'm pretty sure I've gotten most of the start layed down and I'm at a place where it'll be more Jihan, and Seungcheol should join us in the next few chapters, hopefully.