Helping Hands

Reality vs Illusion

So, the next day, the boys all got to work on their tasks. At the university, before class had started, the two Chicken Basket members were hanging out with Kento who was finishing up his work. "Hey, you two... You work together, right?" Kentaro and Takuto look at each other questiongingly for a second before looking back to their questioning friend.

"We do, why?" Takuto answers him.

"How much do you get?" Kento asks.

"Standard payment because our manager is cheap when he doesn't even have other workers." Kentaro growls as Takuto nods in agreement.

"Can you guys give me some money then?"

"What?" They both ask with shock.

"You have a job, can't you get money from that?" Kentaro asks. Kento sighs and shakes his head.

"Don't tell Shori..." He starts, knowing that the two of them work with his boyfriend too. "But... I'm actually so busy because I want to surprise him."

"Surprise him?" The two Chicken Basket members ask him, blinking at him with curiousity now.

"Promise you won't tell?" They both do and Kento continues. "Well, since I'm not rich like one of our other friends... So, I've been taking extra shifts at work to earn more money."

"That's why you're so busy these days!" Takuto realizes it. "You have your studies and all those shifts as well." Kento nods at his friend, telling him he got it right.

"You see... We went to Fuma's house once." Kento turns to Takuto. "He's our other friend." The boy nods, already knowing who Fuma was, but he knew that Kento didn't know, so he played along. "Anyway, we went to his house once and his dog really liked Shori. So, Fuma's mom had asked us to take the dog out for a walk, since the dog wouldn't get off of Shori. We did and we also played with the dog before we had to eat and then leave. When I was driving Shori home, he told me how he wished he had a pet and how lonely it could be at home when no one was around. So, I decided to get him a dog for our one year anniversary." Kento explains the situation.

"Awe, how cute." The other boys smile.

"Thank you for agreeing. But, a pet isn't easy. It needs a lot of money too. For the actual pet itself, the food, the collar, the ownership license, and other things too." 

"And that's why you need the extra money..." Kentaro finishes for him as Kento nods at him.

"Still though, shouldn't you explain to Shori why you're so busy? I mean... He misses you, you know?" Takuto asks.

"I know." Kento nods. "But, when I give him the dog, it will all be worth it."

"Then..." Kentaro starts, reaching into his bag and pulling out his wallet. "I'll make a withdrawl for you. To help you out with your present."

"I guess I will too..." Takuto groans. "We just don't want to hear Shori's complaints about you anymore." They both knew that as soon as Kento could get the present, he would have more time to be with Shori, so they didn't mind lending him some money if that would help both of their friends in the end. "Oh, but... Please do take him out on more dates... He's kind of doubting your feelings right now." Kento blinks at him, but nods.

"Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. And, I'll pay you back when I have the money to do so." Kento promises them with a smile. His smile disappears when he hears a phone ring and sees Kentaro rolling his eyes in annoyance. "You should get that."

"No need, it's Keigo." The older boy answers. Takuto sighs, taking Kentaro's phone from his bag and glancing at the screen as the call is missed. 

"He called you twice, Kentaro! When are you going to pick up?"

"I told you, I'm not." Kentaro answers, snatching his phone back and tucking it into his pocket before walking ahead of the other boys to their class. Kento looks over at Takuto.

"Are they fighting?" 

"Something like that..." Takuto answers with a nod, hoping that Myuto can talk to Keigo and fix the problem.

At the high school, Myuto turned in his chair to face Keigo. It was still a little early, so everyone was out of the classroom or just hanging about inside their respective classes while waiting for their homeroom teachers to come in. "What is it, Myuto?" Keigo asks him.

"You're upset." Myuto points out. "Why are you upset?" He had noticed that the other boy had tried calling Kentaro again. And yet again, no answer.

"It doesn't matter."

"It does. You're my friend and I don't like to see my friends upset. So, tell me what's wrong. Please?" Keigo sighed, knowing Myuto wouldn't leave him alone if he didn't answer the question.

"You work with Shori and Kentaro, don't you?" Keigo questions and Myuto nods. "Well, you may not have known this, but... Kentaro is my childhood friend."

"Really? I had no idea." Myuto lied, already knowing that fact.

"Well... There's something else..." Keigo continued. "I... Kinda like him..." Myuto blinks at him with shock, not actually knowing this part beforehand.

"Like... More than just a friend?" Keigo nods as an answer. "But... Kentaro says you're so cold to him now. Why is that? I mean... If you like him, shouldn't you be sweet towards him?"

"I was sweet towards him. Before he got into university anyway." Keigo answers.

"Right, he told us about that." Myuto nods. "Why is that though? Why the sudden change when he got into university?"

"Because... I felt like he was looking down on me after that... Like I was just some kid to him." Myuto blinks at him, knowing otherwise, but continues to listen.

"So, I... Untactfully tried to avoid him." Keigo continues. "But, he didn't ever get the hint and just kept treating me like usual, even if I didn't treat him the same anymore."

"Well... Why don't you just tell him that you feel like he's treating you like a kid?" 

"Because of my pride, I guess." Keigo shrugs. Myuto rolls his eyes at him.

"Well, look where that pride has gotten you now. He isn't answering any of your calls or texts." 

"I know... And that really bothers me. He has never done this before and I feel guilty... When he said to end it on Friday, I didn't believe him... I thought he was just annoyed at me that night because I was suddenly cold again, but then he wouldn't answer me no matter what."

"You hurt him, you know?" Keigo nods at Myuto's words, knowing that his friend was right. "You should apologize."

"He won't answer me though." Myuto shakes his head.

"Go to his house and apologize to him. An apology means nothing if it's by text."

"I don't even know when he gets off of work though..." Keigo frowns and Myuto has to use all of his will power not to slap the boy across the face.

"That's your pride talking, Keigo! You can easily go over to his house, even if he's not home, you know that!" Myuto snaps at him. Finally, Keigo sighs with defeat and Myuto continues. "What's more important to you, Keigo? Your pride or your friendship with Kentaro? Are you okay with losing him like this? I mean, even if you two don't get to be a thing, at least you'll remain by his side, right? But if you lose him, that's it. You won't be able to go back unless he's really understanding and decides to give you another chance in the future."

"I know..." Keigo nods. "And you're right, Myuto. My pride really is nothing compared to my friendship with Kentaro."

"Then I suggest to go over as soon as you can and apologize." Myuto smiles, relieved that he had finally gotten through to his friend. Keigo nods in agreement, promising Myuto that he would do just that. Looking behind Keigo, he sees that the seat where Genki sits empty before his mind wanders to how Amu and Jinguji were doing with their missions.

Outside in the soccer fields, Amu waks up to Genki with cold drinks in hand, giving one to the older boy. "Thanks, Amu." Genki smiles, taking the drink and popping the cap off to take a sip from it as Amu sits beside him.

"You're welcome." They watch as Jinguji and Reia play soccer together before Amu decides to ask. "Genki... You like Jinguji, don't you?"

"You already know I do, so why ask?"

"Why don't you tell him then?" Amu asks. "I mean, we all know you didn't want to go out with Sera. You just wanted Jinguji to be jealous of you with someone else, especially a beautiful girl like Sera." Amu really had to hold down the feeling of nausea at the fact that he called Jinguji beautiful. Well, to Genki, he only called Sera beautiful, but Amu knew better.

"Because I would get rejected." Genki answers like it's the most obvious thing in the world before taking another sip of his drink. "Sera might have only been to get him jealous, but... Would he have gotten jealous?" Amu didn't say anything, knowing that he had no right to tell Genki the truth. In truth, Jinguji wouldn't be jealous since he is Sera, but he would definitely act it just to keep his identity as Sera a secret.

"You won't know until you try." The younger boy shrugs, popping open the cap of his drink and taking a sip.

"Oh yeah? Then, why don't you go confess to Reia?" Genki retorts, catching Amu off guard as he was drinking, making him choke a little at the drink caught inside his throat.

On the soccer field where Jinguji and Reia were playing, Reia took the ball and then asked after glancing to the stands where Genki was. "Just confess to him. Your friendship won't be ruined, I mean... How long have you two known each other?"

"That's true, but still." Jinguji frowns. Reia isn't exactly a friend to him, but he doesn't push the boy away either. "What about you with Amu? You like him, don't you?"

"Well..." Reia starts before the two hear harsh coughing and look up at the stands, seeing Genki patting Amu's back to get him to stop. The two of them run over to the stands where their other two friends are, wondering if Amu is okay. "Are you okay?" Genki and Jinguji just glance at each other knowingly as the other boy kneels beside Amu, continuing to pat hsi back since Genki had stopped.

"I'm fine..." Amu answered him, finally done with his coughing fit."No thanks to Genki." He glared at the oldest boy among the four of them.

"I tried to help." Genki insists innocently.

"You were the one who made me choke in the first place!" Amu points out, intensifying his glare.

"Only because you tell me to confess to the person I like when you can't even confess to the person you like!" Jinguji and Reia blink at the two of them when this is said. Jinguji was confused because he thought that Genki had already confessed to Sera. Reia on the other hand just stared at Amu curiously.

"Who is it?" He asks his friend and Amu shakes his head at him, silently telling him not to worry as he walks away from the group. Reia doesn't give up that easily though, he follows behind Amu, repeatedly asking the same question to the other. When the two of them are gone, Jinguji looks to Genki.

"I thought you had confessed to Sera already..." Genki sighs at the younger boy's words and nods.

"To be honest... I didn't like her... I only wanted her agree to make the person I actually like jealous."

"How horrible." 

"I know..." Genki nods. "Don't get me wrong though, she really is my favourite! I never wanted to date her though... But, she rejected me, so it doesn't matter anymore."

"And the person you like?" Jinguji asks. The older boy just shakes his head with a smile.

"It doesn't matter. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have worked out with him anyway."

"How do you know?" The younger of the two asks, a little upset at the fact that his best friend liked a guy. If it wasn't him, then he wasn't prepared to lose Genki to some other guy.

"Just drop it, Jin, alright?" With that said, Genki follows behind their other friends, knowing that the bell will ring soon and they would have to go inside anyway. Jinguji follows with a pout.

On their way back, Jinguji notices Ryuya chatting with Kaito and has to wonder what that's about. Telling Genki to go to his class, Jinguji runs over to where he saw his two friends before. "Ryuya, what's up? Why are you..." Jinguji starts, but Ryuya interrupts him, answering his question at the same time.

"I gave him a job. As one of the waiters that are needed at the restaurant."

"You what?" The younger boy asks, surprised at his friend's answer.

 


 

A/N: I lied again. The next two chapters will have the main and supporting characters switch roles too. I gotta stop doing that, but oh well. I hope you guys are liking it so far.