Chapter 9

Striking Matches

KEY'S POV

Ring Ding Dong!~ The doorbell rang at exactly 6:00. Sheesh! I thought. Someone was early. Really early. One hour early.

"I'll get it!" yelled Taeminnie. I had resumed taping on the 'Happy Birthday' decorations when Taemin started squealing excitedly. Then the noises got louder as I heard Onew, Minho, and Jonghyun joined in with Taemin as they welcomed the early guest.

"Hey! Who's here that deserves so much welcome?" I said loudly, and walked out to the living room, expecting some huge celebrithy. But it was just Surim, being hugged by Taemin. I was so confused. Well, I was glad, because I had planned this anyways. But... "How do you know Surim already? This is your first time meeting her!"

Taemin was too hyped up to answer. Jjong turned to me, excited as well. "Key! This is an awesome birthday surprise!" he said. 

"Huh?" was all I could say.

Onew answered me. "Key, don't you remember her? Man! She used to buy me chicken every week!"

"You... know her??"

Minho's turn. "Yeah! You two were so close, hyung. How do you not remember Surim?"

I still didn't get it. But... there WAS something familiar about her. Where had I seen her before? Wait a minute...

"It's Surim, Key umma! Remember? She trained with us for a while!" Taemin said, finally letting go of Surim. Suddenly I remembered. I grinned at her.

"Hey, Key oppa," she said with a shy smile on her face. "I'm sorry I'm so early... I just wanted to help set up before the guests arrive. And see if you guys remembered me at all." she said cheekily. Everyone gave her a hug, except me. She looked a bit disappointed, but I thought nothing of it.

"Come on, Surim-ah!" said Taemin. "I'll give you a tour of our dorm." He grabbed her hand and led her to the game room. I looked at the couple and grinned. They looked so cute together! But suddenly I felt some unpleasant feeling creep through me. Was I... jealous? Of Taemin and Surim? Well...

No, I told myself firmly. You still love Haejin. Focus!! I finished with the decorations and went to the kitchen to help Minho decorate the cake.

"Key! You're phone's ringing!" said Onew hyung.

"Coming!" I said, and followed his voice to the bedroom. ...I got that boom boom pow, so you can check ... (AN his ringtone is Boom boom pow) I picked up my phone and flipped it open.

"Yuhbosayyo?" 

"Hey Key! How's it going?" it was Jaejin.

"Hi Jaejin. It's good. When are you coming to the party?"

"Well... about that... Haejin and I can't come," he said apologetically.

"What?! What do you mean?!" I said angrily.

"I have a schedule, and she didn't want to come without me."

Darn! I thought. My whole night was ruined, "Fine," I snapped, and hung up on him. I didn't feel like decorating anything anymore. So I stormed out to the balcony and brooded there, only coming inside to wish Jjong a happy birthday and take pictures of him eating cake. But except for that one time, I stayed outside and felt sorry for myself.

"Haejin! Why are you so hard to win over?" I muttered angrily.