Chapter 7

Striking Matches

Setting: Striking Matches

KEY'S POV

The wind rustled my hair and tickled me. I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes. Today we would be shooting the kissing scene between my character and Haejin's character. I had been looking forward to this for a while now. I smiled smugly. Haejin WOULD fall for me eventually. I had my moves all laid out. After this shoot, I would invite her to a party at the Shinee dorm. If she refused, I would ask Jaejin to come with her. And if he did, I could get Minho or someone to distract him. Oh... and I would invite Surim, too. Taemin still hadn't stopped moping arround the house, and it broke my heart to see my son so sad.

"Okay, everyone. Time for the shoot," said the staff. Haejin came up the grassy hillside toward me. She looked beautiful in her traditional dress. 

"You look wonderful," I said to Haejin. She ignored me.

"Look, Key. The only reason I'm in this drama is because they asked me to be. And the only reason I'm doing this scene is because my character loves you. My CHARACTER, Key, not me. I love..." I put one finger over , and she looked at me in surprise, stunned, then angrily pushed me away. "Key! Our relationship ended two years ago. We--"

"Let's get started! We're on limited time here!" Haejin gave me a final glare and got into position. I looked at her for a moment longer, then did the same. "Ready, action!" said the director, and the cameras started to roll.

NARRATOR POV (drama mode)

Junsu clutched a bushel of flowers in his left hand and straightened his hair with his right. He was waiting for Meera, although he only had a few minutes; he had only just gotten away from his father's guards. Junsu had asked Meera to meet him here, and he wanted to surprise her and confess to her, finally, after three months of waiting. He knew he was engaged to Yuri, but he didn't care. He loved Meera.

Someone was coming up the hillside. He twirled around and hid the flowers behind his back, fully expecting Meera.

"Junsu!" His heart sank. It was Yuri. He tried not to sound disappointed.

"Oh... hi... Yuri..."

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Me? oh... um... I'm... nothing. I mean, I'm doing nothing. I'm just here." he tripped over his words.

"Really?" Yuri said, amused. She took a step closer to Junsu, and wrapped her arms around him. Junsu involuntarily shrank away, but Yuri held him tight.

KEY'S POV

OMG!!!! Haejin was holding on to me! I could hardly hold my smile in, but i still managed to keep on frowning. I felt like I was going to melt. Haejin was looking at me in that way...  I heard her say the next line, and my mind suddenly went blank. Oh, no! I thought desperately.

"Cut!" the director yelled. "Key-ssi? Is anything wrong?"

"N..no," I said. Haejin released me and stepped away. Oh, great. Now I was stuttering. I swallowed and tried again. "I'm fine, sir. I apologize for the inconvenience. I just forgot my line for a second. Sorry once again."

The director nodded. "All right, start again right after Yuri's line, 'really?'." Haejin put her arms around me again and pulled me close. I felt shivers go up and down my spine. "Ready, and ACTION!" the director said.

NARRATOR POV (drama mode)

"What's this?" Yuri asked, pulling Junsu's hand from behind him and revealing the flowers.

"I... uh... nothing." She raised her eyebrows at him. He winced inwardly. "It's j-just flowers..." he said.

Yuri backed away from Junsu a bit, looking hurt. "It's for Meera, isn't it?"

KEY'S POV

I couldn't believe it. Darn! She was such a good actress. Right now I just wanted to hug her until she was okay. But this time, I stayed in character.

END OF KEY'S POV (back to drama mode)

"N--no! It's uh... for... uh..." Junsu d around mentally for an excuse. She can't know! he thought. His feelings for Meera had to be kept a secret. "for... you!"

Yuri looked up into Junsu's eyes and smiled. "Really? For me? So... you do love me back?" she asked hopefully. Junsu had no choice.

"Yes," he lied. She smiled and leaned into him for a hug. Yuri saw Meera coming up the hill and stop, staring at their embrace angrily, her hurt showing up clearly in her face. A sudden desire to hurt Meera even more grasped Yuri. She knew Meera loved Junsu, and she knew Junsu loved Meera. She smiled sweetly at Meera and turned her head to face Junsu. Yuri turned his face toward herself and leaned in. Junsu tried to push her away, but she held tight.

Their noses were touching now. The camera zoomed in and Yuri whispered, "I love you."

And then she kissed him.