Chapter 10

Striking Matches

Sorry I switch between POVs so much... I just want to get everyone's feelings in the story.

Setting: Shinee dorm, party!!

SURIM POV

For the whole party I had only seen Key oppa twice. Once when I walked through the dorr, and the other time when Jonghyun oppa had had his cake. I spotted a bright pink shirt outside in the balcony. That had to be him. I smiled and went outside. I quietly opened the door and snuck up behind him, wanting to surprise him, but I hesitated. He was saying something.

"Haejin... why are you so hard to win over?" he muttered. I felt like a sword had pierced my heart. Key oppa loved Haejin unni? I didn't want to believe it, I never wanted to believe it. But the proof was right in front of me... Oppa didn't love me. Before I knew what I was doing, I said something.

NARRATOR'S POV

"Oppa... if... if you love someone, and you know they don't love you back, what should you do? Should you fight for him? Should-- should you give up on them?" she choked up on the last few words. Key looked at her in surprise. Had she been there the whole time?

"You should fight for them every step of the way," he told her strongly. "Never give up on her!"

Tears rolled down her cheeks, but Key didn't see them. "But what if you know they will never give up on who they love?" she thought.  "What if they only think of you as a dongseng? What if they were trying to pair you up with someone else? What if... what if they were yelling at you this instant?"

"Besides," Key said. "Taemin doesn't like anyone else, and he just adores you. Why are you so worried?"

SURIM POV

He was so dense I wanted to scream at him. "I don't love him! I love you!!"

I almost said it. But I held it in. "Never mind," I mumbled, wiping my tears away. I went back to the party.

"I think you should give up," said a voice behindd me. I whirled around in fright.

"Minho oppa!" I scolded. "You scared the crap out of me!" Then I realized what he had just said. "Wait... you heard our conversation?" One nod. "But how?! I never noticed you!" He chuckled.

"Yeah, I know. Sometimes if you're quiet enough, you become a part of the furniture." Then he turned serious. "But I meant what I said. You should give up on Key hyung.

I was so stunned I could only stutter. "How... how did you...?"

"...know that you liked Key hyung?" Minho oppa finished for me. I nodded. "It was easy, he said. "I don't talk much, and I listen and watch instead. I can see stuff most other can't."

"Oh..."

MINHO POV

"Don't worry, I won't tell," I assured her. 

She looked confused. "What? I can't hear you!"

I couldn't hear her very well, either. I rolled my eyes. Onew hyung had just turned up the music to high. "Come on," I said, grabbing Surim by the wrist and leading her to the bedroom.

TAEMIN POV

I looked around for Surim. She was so awesome! and nice, and pretty, and cute, and sweet, and absolutely perfect... I wanted to confess to her, maybe. Or at least do something with her. Maybe watch a movie, or something. Suddenly, I spotted Surim... with Minho hyung. He was taking her to our bedroom.

Why was he taking her there? What was he going to do with her?! He knew I liked her!! I started squeezing and pushing my way to our room.

"Surim-ah!" I yelled.

SURIM POV

Minho was taking me somewhere. "What are you doing?!" I hissed at him. He pretended not to hear me. Or maybe he really couldn't hear me. I mean, I could hardly hear myself. We finally reached a door and he unlocked it and pushed it open. He pulled us in and shut the door behind us. The lights came on. It was the SHINee bedroom.

"Why did you bring me here?!" I asked him, annoyed and a bit scared.

"Relax, Surim. I just wanted to talk. It's quieter here."

"Oh... You didn't have to hold me so tight!" I pouted, rubbing my wrist where he had held it. "Well, so, oppa. What did you want to tell me? To give up on Key oppa?... Why?"

"Well, I'll be frank, okay? Don't get mad or offended. But... Key hyung doesn't love you." I winced at his words. I knew that was true... He went on. "He still loves Haejin. He never forgot her, he never stopped loving her."

Something snapped inside of me. "But what about me?" I wailed. "I never stopped loving him. I never forgot him! He may have forgotten me, but I never did! For two years I waited, I hoped. How can I give up on him?!?!?!" Without meaning to, I grabbed Minho oppa's shirt and started sobbin ginto it. I felt him tense up.

"I'm sorry, Surim-ah. I didn't realize you loved him so much, for that long. But don't let that get in the way of the person who love you," he whispered into my ear. I quieted down a little and he went on. "Why don't you date some other people, until Key hyung is ready to love you back?"

"Nobody loves me," I mimbled into his shirt. But I had stopped crying. He gently pushed me back up into standing position and looked down into my eyes.

"Don't ever say that! Don't ever think that! Someone does love you," he said. " Won't you just give him a chance?"

I sniffed loudly and nodded. He was right. And it would just be until Key oppa got his senses back and loved me back. "But oppa, who loves me?" I asked him, looking up at his eyes.

"It's... Well, I--" Just then we heard the lock click and Taemin burst into the room.

"Hyung, what in the world are you--" he shouted. He stopped and widened his eyes when he saw us standing so close. I realized Minho oppa still had his hands on my shoulders and I was still holding his shirt. We both took a step away from each other.

"Were... were you guys kissing?" Taemin asked. He looked very much in pain. Minho oppa and I started shaking our heads and assuring Taemin that we had NOT been kissing.

"we were just in here--"

"Talking. Just talking. Nothing--"

"romantic, or anything, just a brotherly/sisterly chat--"

"Too loud outside--"

"came in here for peaceand quiet--"

"nothing, nothing special..."

Taemin huffed. "Fine." He stepped between me and Minho, facing his hyung. I couldn't see what was going on between them, but the tension was unbearable.

"Onew hyung wants to see you, hyung," Taemin said in a friendly voice that oddly sounded like a threat. "Let's go," he mumbled to me, and grabbed my hand and dragged me back outside.