~7~

Ephemeral

[ Thank you for reading. Tell me your thoughts. Enjoy! (^_^) ] 

 

 

The first time Sehun saw Luhan cry, it was in June, on the longest and brightest day of the year, a good while after they'd got together. 
But crying just did not describe what Luhan was like. It wasn't crying. It was like empyting out everything that held your soul together, cracking and crumbling and just falling apart with such agony like your breath was being sundered from you, such agony that Sehun did not even know was even humanly possible to feel, let alone be felt by his sweet and delicate Luhan. 

"Luhan." Sehun choked, almost like the night of their anniversary except this time he wasn't clogged with love, he was suffocating on pain, pain of having to see the love of his life in such a tormented state. 

"S-S-Se-hun?" Luhan trembled, squinting, trying to see him through a torrent of tears. 

"Y-you're h-home ear-ly." Luhan hiccupped, trying to rapidly wipe away the tears. Sehun said nothing, just wordlessly held Luhan. As Sehun held the now fragile boy, he couldn't help but wonder if this was a common occurence as Sehun came home later than Luhan. A lot of the times, Luhan would wait for Sehun by his college gates but sometimes...Sometimes he didn't and Sehun now wondered what exactly was happening to Luhan when he was not with him. It terrified him to imagine. 

After the petite figure in his arms calmed down enough, Sehun tried to get him to open up, but he found out very quickly how adamant Luhan could be. 

"Seriously Sehun-ah, I was just sad about something that happened in the past. I promise, I'm fine, especially now that you're here." Luhan would smile brightly, his eyes shining with that internal light Sehun loved and Sehun, not wanting to push his lover, let it go, making a mental note to find out later what was bothering Luhan because that wasn't just sad or upset. It was the inticate poignancy of the broken. 

                                                                                                                ~

 

"Luhan-ah? Sarang, I'm home!" Sehun yelled, crashing through the door. Maybe he forgot that it was two a.m. or maybe he just didn't care. It seemed sanity had evaded Sehun that particular night. 

"Luhan-ah, you're scaring me, please come out." Sehun pleaded, stumbling from room to room, trying to find an absent Luhan. Their house felt eerily empty, despite nothing being out of place. There was definitely something amiss but Sehun couldn't bring himself to focus. He had to find Luhan, he was somewhere in the house, he knew it. 

Sehun checked under the table, behind the couch, looked up the chimney and all their hiding places from the time they played hide-and-seek. But it was a bungalow and there were only so much hiding places for a grown human being. 

"Luhan-ah." Sehun whispered in sorrow as he collapsed on their bed, savouring the lingering sweet scent of his honey haired, luminous eyed lover.

In the final flickers of hope, Sehun's eyes scanned the room to see if his boyfriend was hiding there but something on their bed-side table that caught his attention. Even in the dark, with the moon's white rays as the only light, Sehun could make out his boyfriend's handwritting. Abruptly with refreshed vigour and a clarity of movements that hadn't been present moments before, Sehun pushed himself off the bed and stood infront of the bed-side table. 

Lying on top of an A-5 sized leather bound book, was a white piece of note, not bigger than Luhan's palm. 

'I'm sorry Sehun-ah. 
I told you that the day lies. 
But the night is also guilty. 
The night is ephemeral.'