Chapter 17: Field Trip Act. 1

The Spring Between Us

“Aran did you see my—IS THAT MY STRAWBERRY SORBET YOU’RE EATING?!”

It was a peaceful afternoon in the Jungs’ residence. With Nara is out for her ballet lessons, as usual Aran and Hoseok wasted the rest of their time until dinner by lounging and just simply hanging out in their living room but this time they have Namjoon as an addition.

“Huh?” she stared at him nonchalantly, “I thought you didn’t eat it anymore. It has been there for like, three days,”

“But that doesn’t mean I don’t want it!” he hurriedly jumped beside the girl, looking at the almost empty paper bowl and gasped, “AND YOU ATE IT ALL!”

“Not really,” she gave him a much better look of the bowl, “Look, it still has some more scoops,”

Hoseok frowned at her and immediately grabbed both the bowl and the spoon from her, taking it into his hands, “Yeah, and it’s mine now!”

Aran only shrugged before she leaned close to him as the older automatically threw his left arm out to held her, right hand scooping the last of the sorbet inside the bowl.

Namjoon who was sitting on the carpet while writing some rap lyrics on his notebook on the coffee table stared at them with a little suspicion in his eyes. The more he gets used in being part of the Jung family, the more his suspicions towards Hoseok grew. He had known the boy too long and he knows the gestures towards Aran isn't just some kind of sibling’s bond or anything but it’s—

Oppa, go order some chicken,”

“Again? We ate them yesterday!”

“Doesn’t mean we can’t eat it anymore today,”

“Why don’t you just cook something?”

“I’m too tired for that,”

“But that’s unhealthy,”

“Hoseok-oppa,” she pouted, “Please?”

—something more than it.

And unfortunately, Aran doesn’t seem to notice it.

Namjoon was sure of it—Aran doesn’t feel that way towards Hoseok. He might have not been so close with her as they were separated for years, but he could still see it. If it was Yoongi or that guy—who was his name again? Seungcheol?—he could agree because her gaze to them was different (even to Seokjin, he thinks she saw him as something close to a best friend—the one that you gossip and secretly chats with). But Hoseok? He doesn’t think so.

“Hey, Namjoon,” his thoughts were snapped back when Hoseok turns to him, “What do you think we should get for dinner?”

Aran behind him was mouthing at him, telling him to go for fried chicken but honestly Namjoon wasn’t really in the mood for it and he remembers Nara had said something about craving jajjangmyeon before she went to ballet class. He thought that wasn’t a bad idea so he went with it.

“I’m thinking about jajjangmyeon actually,” he saw Aran’s face falter comically, “I think Nara would like it too,”

“See, I told you we shouldn’t go for fried chicken!” but the other girl only frowned at him, huffing and turning back to the TV, “Do you want anything to go with it?”

“Yeah, fried chicken,”

“We’re not getting that tonight,” Hoseok frowned at her, “Namjoon, what else should we get?”

He contemplated a little before answering and again Aran from behind Hoseok nodding to him with puppy eyes—something that Namjoon found out she usually do to get something she want to the family members. He sent a small chuckle before turning to Hoseok.

“Actually, some fried chicken is a good idea too. It’s nice to eat with jajjangmyeon,”

Aran’s face immediately brighten as Hoseok sighed, “Fine then. I’ll order them,”

As he got up from the couch and walked up to the phone, the girl jumped to Namjoon, “Namjoon-oppa, thank you!”

He smiled at the honorific she gave since he became part of the family, “Anytime,”

“What are you working on—oh, are these song lyrics?”

As Aran watched him work in amazement, Namjoon couldn’t help to smile. She definitely has changed a lot since the first time he met her. It’s really nice to know that she’s growing more and more comfortable around the boys. She’s actually a very nice companion overall and Namjoon would like to keep it going.

“Yeah, and some yangyeom—,”

Then he glanced to Hoseok. He might have keep everything hidden now, but he knows someday it’s going to blow up and the peace they have will disappear. He knows no one in the family would like it.

He had to approach him soon.


“You took really long today, Nara,”

Taehyung has been picking her up after her ballet lessons too frequent that Aran has fully decided to gave the work to him instead. It’s not that she doesn’t like it, but sometimes with the kind of feeling she has right now it’s hard to breath properly when he’s around. With the fact that he has feelings for someone else and her might be liking him for real, it’s just too much.

“Yeah,” she sighed, night breeze swished her hair slightly, “They extended today’s practice,”

“It must be tiring, huh,”

“It’s not to the point I’ll faint from it,” she refrained herself from leaning to his back, again, “I could bear it,”

“Yeah, but still,” Taehyung frowned, “You’re doing it everyday,”

“Just because the play is coming. My schedule will return to normal once it’s finished,”

There was a silence between them, an uncomfortable one for her at least. She always had the urge to circle her hands around his waist in times like this for no reason. But of course, she never really did it. Taehyung could just be uncomfortable for all she knows and she doesn’t really want to make things much more awkward between them.

“Hey,” he suddenly started talking, “Have you eaten?”

“No…,” she tilted her head, “Why?”

“Same then!” Taehyung turned back a little to see her and sent her his signature boxy smile, “We should get something to eat first before I drop you home. What do you think we should get?”

“I don’t know, maybe jajjangmyeon?” she suggested, “I kinda wanted it since this noon,”

“Then jajjangmyeon it is!”

*******

“Do you want some more kimchi?”

The two of them finally decided to stop by at a street stall, that’s actually a little bit further to Nara’s house. She already told him that he’ll got home late, but the taller boy only told her that it’s okay and he doesn’t really have anything to do at home either. There wasn’t that much people inside the stall, only them and a bunch of teenagers.

“Hmm, yeah I think,” she nodded, “We’re going to run out of it soon,”

Taehyung nodded and turned to the waiter, calling for more side dishes. As she turned back to eat her dish, there was whispers from the table behind her.

“Wow,” she could hear one of them smirking, “She’s a pretty one,”

“Yeah check out that line,” a whistle come to her ears, making her shiver a little in fear, “Now that’s nice,”

She tightens up her jacket. Her clothing wasn’t that revealing—black knee length legging and an oversized T-shirt that went up to her thigs with her trusty pink jacket. She doesn’t think there’s anything wrong with her appearance, but some people are just simply like to let their thoughts on loose.

The whispers began to get louder, making her more nervous. Suddenly there was a creak of a seat being moved and a clatter of dining utensils. She shuts he eyes, afraid that the people behind her will suddenly approach her and then she wouldn’t know what she’ll do to avoid them.

“Jagiya,”

As footsteps coming closer to her, Taehyung’s voice interrupted her mind. She opens her eyes to see the taller boy smiling at her sweetly—to the point it’s a little sickening. It seems like he as forcing it.

But of course, Nara was confused. Why did he suddenly call her like that? “H-huh?”

“Aren’t you going to eat your dinner?” he tilted his head, eyes secretly glaring to her behind, “The kimchi is here,”

“O-oh,” her cheeks flared up and she could hear the people behind her retreat—was that because of Taehyung? “Y-yeah! Sorry, I didn’t realize,”

Taehyung smiled at her again, but then in a split second his expression turned dark as he keeps glaring to Nara’s behind, almost like he’s telling anyone he’s glaring at to go away. There were some shuffles and things ransacking before it finally grew quiet.

Nara looked behind while biting her lower lip and found that the guys who was seated behind her were gone. She sighed in relieve at the sight of the empty seat—now she doesn’t have to worry about getting hit on anymore.

“Sorry,” Taehyung suddenly apologized, making her turn her face back and send him a confused expression, “you must have felt uncomfortable. I shouldn’t take you here,”

“N-no!” Nara quickly put her hands up in the air, “It’s okay, really! Don’t be sorry. It’s not your fault that they’re here,”

“Yeah, but I should have been more careful…,”

She smiled at him, “But you shooed them away, right?”

Taehyung blinked, blushing a little, “U-uh, I guess so…,”

“Then everything’s alright,” Nara grinned, flailing her hands in order to make Taehyung feel a little much better, “They’re not here anymore and this place’s jajjangmyeon is really nice!”

The gesture made the boy laughed a little, turning back to his dish, “Gosh, you’re cute, Nara,”

This time it was Nara who blinked, before her cheeks turned pink again, “What?”

“Nothing,” Taehyung grinned as he shook his head, “Hey, give me some of the kimchi!”

At the end of the day, Nara only got more confused about her feelings.

(and some scolding from Aran because having dinner without telling her first. Apparently they bought the same jajjangmyeon for dinner just for her sake).


That day is just too cold for Aran.

It’s field trip day and the students were ordered to come at six in the morning and everyone knows it’s winter—the weather was pretty freezing in usual for Aran’s liking and the fact they got gathered just after dawn doesn’t make it any better. She’s already wearing a long sleeved shirt inside her tracksuit but it still made her feel cold.

“It’s finally here!” and Nara was just too cheery for this kind of weather, “Aren’t you excited, unnie?”

“No,” she deadpanned as they entered the school grounds, “I really want to turn back right now,”

“Aww, cheer up a little! It’s not that cold,” she pokes her sister in the sides, making the older frown, “Besides, it’s been a long time that we could finally enjoy field trip with some real friends,”

The statement made Aran’s lips stretch up a little, “You’re right. I’ll try to brighten up a little,”

Nara grinned to her and turned back in front, “Oh, there they are!”

“Nara, Aran, here!” Hoseok and Namjoon had gone first before the two girls, “Hurry up they’re going to announce the groups soon!”

“Alright, alright, we’re here,” the girls ran to them, “They’re going to randomize the group, aren’t they?”

“Yeah, unfortunately,” Hoseok sighed, “I hope we all get in the same group!”

Yoongi scoffed, “You know that’s impossible, right? One group is consisted of three girls and three boys in the same grade,”

“Yeah, but still!”

“Ssh!” Seokjin puts up his index finger in front of his lips, “They’re starting!”

*******

“WHY AM I THE ONLY ONE DIFFERENT??”

They have just finished announcing the groups and Hoseok was already having his screaming session—mostly because he’s the only one who got into the group without any BTS member or any of the girls. Aran got into the same group with Yoongi and Namjoon, Nara with Jimin, and Jungkook and Taehyung got in the same group.

“Excuse me, I was left out too and I didn’t complain,” Seokjin rolled his eyes, “It’s not the end of the world yet,”

“But, but, but,” the younger boy pouts, which results in the others frowning on it, “But then I’ll be separated from Aran!”

The girl only rolled her eyes, “Can we get going? The bus is going to depart in a minute,”

“You’re right,” Yoongi nodded, turning to her, “Should we go and get a backseat?”

Aran perked up one of her eyebrows while straightening up her bag, “What?”

“Well Nara is seating with Jungkook and Taehyung while Namjoon is with Seokjin-hyung, so you’re obviously going to seat with me and Hoseok,”

“Ah,” she suddenly put up a frown, “About that—,”

“Aran, over here!”

The rest of them turned to the source of the voice, their eyes greeted with a familiar brown-haired girl. She seemed to be waving to Aran’s direction and the other girl just nodded while gesturing her to wait.

“I’m actually sitting with Yerin today,” Aran smiled apologetically before moving to the said girl, “Sorry guys. See you later,”

As the girl walked away from them, the rest of the boys (plus Nara) was in daze.

“Wow,” Jimin blinked, “Noona is finally socializing normally,”

“Yeah,” Nara nodded, even though there’s a little disappointed expression in her face—probably because the fact that her sister isn’t sitting with the rest of them, “But it’s alright. It means she’s improving,”

Taehyung unsurprisingly noticed the slight change, “Are you okay with it, Nara?”

She only nodded with a small smile, “Yeah, I’m happy for her. Hey we better get going now!”

The others nodded along with her as they finally moved, but Yoongi threw a last look to Aran who’s currently entering the bus with some other girls. Yes, he’s also happy that Aran finally could play with other people besides their circle, but it kind of concerns him that with her socializing freely that means she’ll be off his radar for some times—making him hard to protect her incase Baekhyun decided to bother her again.

He shook his head and turned away. He shouldn’t be to worried about her even though he has finally accepted his feelings about her—he’s in the same group with her anyway. They’ll be stuck together for most activities for the rest of the days.

He just hoped there won’t be any problems in the trip.


A/N: ONE MONTH I M SORRY I FORGOT TO UPDATE SO MANY THINGS ARE GOING ON I CANT EVEN CONCENTRATE WHEN WRITING TT TT please bear with me TT TT