Chapter 16: Family

The Spring Between Us

Namjoon was devastated.

It’s not like he and his dad was glue-like close; they had a decent dad-to-son relationship, but there are still distance between them. Even though they don’t really see each other a lot, he cared about him—after all, he’s still his father. The only one he has since that one day that he stopped seeing his mother inside the house.

He stared at person in front of him. Lying on the hospital bed. Covered in white sheets.

He saw it coming—he knows it’s going to happen soon. His father doesn’t have the best health in the world to start to, and how he overworked himself only made it worse. Those sleepless nights and the insane amount of hours he had spent inside the same room he seen everyday, it was only a waiting game for him.

They were too late when he arrived in the hospital. It was a heart attack and his heart was too weak to jolt back up—they don’t have anymore choices.

He wondered why he didn’t cry when his already breaking down inside.

*******

“What are we doing here again?”

The two girls were now currently in a hospital—called abruptly by their mother. The two of them was supposed to follow the other boys to visit Namjoon and his father, but just one class before school ends, Aran’s phone rang. Hoseok offered himself to come with them, but their mother told him that he didn’t need to because apparently it’s related to their past family.

“I don’t know,” Aran shrugged, Nara walking beside her, “But I guess it must be important. Just hope that it’ll finish quick enough for us to catch up with the others,”

The younger hummed, “Yeah, you’re right—oh, there’s mom!”

“Aran, Nara,” her eyes were strangely tinted red slightly, “You’re here,”

“Yeah,” the older nodded, “What seemed to be the problem that you need us out of school?”

“It’s,” she took a deep breath, “It’s regarding your father,”

Aran was puzzled, “Isn’t dad at work?”

She shook her head, “No, not Younghwa—but your real father,”

The two girls looked to each other and Aran turned back to her, “Him?”

“I haven’t seen him yet,” she sent them a weak smile, “I was waiting for you two,”

Nara took a peek on the door behind her, “Is he in there?”

“Yes,”

“Is he… sick?”

There was a grim expression plastered on her face, “He’s... more than that,”

Aran raised one of her eyebrows, “What do you mean?”

But their mom only smiled again.

“Let’s get in,”

The door creaked loudly as their mother finally turned. Aran and Nara both followed her inside the room and their eyes was greeted with a dim-lighted room. There was a doctor beside a bed who seemingly had someone on it covered with white sheet, and a teenage boy sitting on the stool beside it.

The sound was loud enough to caught their attention, “Ah, you must be Jung Hyerim,”

“Yes,” their mother answered, voice cracking slightly, “That’s me,”

“I’m very sorry,” the doctor approached her, “We had tried our best but it seems we were too late. We tried contacting his other family members, but no one seemed to pick up and our last resort was you,”

“It’s okay,” she answered, “I am willing to take care of his things,”

The doctor nodded, “Well, I will be going to take his papers then,”

As he went out, she quickly went to the person lying on the bed, opening his cover slightly. Tears immediately poured out of her eyes when she sees his face.

“Oh, Wooyoung,” she croaked, “You never changed even after I left you,”

Aran and Nara was in confusion. They can’t feel any remorse because they were separated from their father in such young age, and they never had seen him again since then. They didn’t even know what was the cause of his death.

But what was confusing them most was—

“Oh, Namjoon,” the woman finally lifted up her head, “It’s been so long since I see you. You’ve grown really well…,”

Why was Namjoon here?

“Mom,” Aran finally opened , “What is going on?”

“Who...,” Namjoon seemed to have found his voice too, “Who are you?”

“I’m sorry, this must have been so confusing to all of you,” she replied, wiping her tears with a small handkerchief, “I forgot we left when you all were so young—no wonder you all don’t remember anything,”

Eomma,” Nara furrowed her brows, “Please explain?”

She threw her a sad smile, “Your real father and I had another child—an older brother to both of you,”

Aran gasped. Namjoon only widen his eyes. His prediction is right.

“and I’m here to pick him up,”


“I hope you don’t mind sharing,” he grinned sheepishly to him, “We can’t really afford a new house right now—it will be too far from school,”

It has been three days since his dad’s funeral. It was a hard time for him but thankfully all his friends were there for him and not to mention he now has a new family—fortunately he’s already very familiar with them as half of the members are his friends. It was shocking when his suspicion was right—Aran and Nara’s mother was his mother, thus the two of them are his sisters. No wonder he always finds them familiar.

“It’s alright,” Namjoon smiled to Hoseok, “I always kinda wanted a roommate anyways,”

Hoseok grinned again, the pointed to a seemingly new bed on the other side of the room with a wooden desk and a huge cupboard beside it, “That’s your side, you can put your things there,”

“Thanks,” he moved and sets his bag there. Most of his things are still in his old house, but it was already packed in boxes also, “I never thought your room was big enough for two person,”

“Nah, it was always that huge,” Hoseok shrugged, “But seriously though, this is so bizarre—we’ve been friends for years and then suddenly you’re my brother!”

“Yeah, it’s pretty freaky, I never thought I’d be sharing family with you,”

“Who knows that you’re Aran and Nara’s brother, huh?”

“I’ve always thought of them familiar from the first time I saw them,” Namjoon sighed, “Maybe it’s supposed to be like this, and we’re only waiting for the time to come,”

Hoseok patted his shoulder, “I’m really sorry for what happened,”

“It’s alright—I’ll be over it soon,” he threw him a smile again.

Oppa?”

The two of them turned to source of voice only to see Nara’s head popped from the back of the door, “Uh… Dinner’s ready?”

“We’ll be there in a minute,” Hoseok smiled to her, then turned to Namjoon, “So, shall we get dinner, brother?”

Namjoon snorted, “It still sounds weird,”

“Well it will be weird forever I think,” he laughed, “Come on! Your mother’s cooking is actually really good—and we better be grateful for it. It’s been pretty rare that she took time to stay home and cook for all of us,”

“Alright, alright, let’s go.”


Oppa, please buy me this!!”

Namjoon was fitting in the family pretty well. His new father was a really nice guy and so was his mother—trying to give him all the motherly love that he had missed for years. He doesn’t have problems with his new sibilings because Hoseok was practically his brother before they got into the same family, even though he could be very noisy at times. Aran was nice as usual and Namjoon could see why Hoseok grew so complex over them when he never had sisters before—Aran at home was quite different as she let herself out much more inside the house than at school, even when she was with the boys she’s still a little reserved. She’s pretty bubbly when she’s not tense and was very caring to the point sometimes Namjoon got touched.

“But didn’t you just had lunch?”

Nara on the other hand grew close to him awfully fast. He doesn’t know why but their mother had always said that she used to be pretty close to him when they all were still together. Maybe that’s why she’s easily fond of him.

“But strawberry puddings!” she threw him her puppy eyes—which Namjoon can’t resist, “Please?”

“Fine,” Nara loudly squealed, “But just one!”

“Thank you!!” she hugged him impulsively, “I love you~,”

“How come she never said that to me,” Hoseok grumbled playfully, then turned to Aran, “Aran, you love me right?? How come you never give me any aegyo?”

Aran’s expression turned horrified, “Why would I?!”

“Because I’m your brother!” Hoseok frowned, “Come on! You love me, right?!”

“Who says?!” Aran scrunched her face, and the older boy started to move closer to her, “What are you doing?!”

“Come on, say it to me that you love me Aran~,” he clings tightly to her, pouting, “Please~,”

“No!”

A loud laugh erupted from the rest of the boys as Aran tried to push her older brother off her, minus Yoongi who was frowning on the sight of Hoseok’s pout. Meanwhile Nara has accomplished to make Namjoon buy her the strawberry pudding and now she’s currently happily eating it.

He shook his head—sometimes he wondered why he befriended all of them. He’s grateful that he had them, though. They’re always for him when he needed them and even though they’re weird, Namjoon wouldn’t exchange them for others.

“Hey, let’s eat chicken after school!”

His life is going to change slightly, but he didn’t mind. He knows he’ll get it through smoothly.

“If you’re not going to stop I’m going to hit you!”

But there’s one thing that he noticed since his last name changed into Jung.

“Okay, okay! Sheesh, why couldn’t be cute for once like Nara?”

“Because I don’t want to?”

Namjoon squinted his eyes. There was again, even though Aran was scowling at him, Hoseok’s eyes always gleamed much more when he’s with her. He’s normally does skinship around them that from a single glance, no one would notice. But Namjoon was pretty perspective of his surroundings and he noticed Hoseok’s always much softer and gentle towards Aran—but acted normally around Nara.

Hoseok is now currently pinching the older Jung’s cheeks, “Why don’t you want to be cute?”

“Just because! Now stop it, it hurts!”

He also noticed that he always tried to spend time with her—both at home and at school, Hoseok would always try to find Aran.

Could it be…?

“But your cheeks are squishy!”

Namjoon felt a strange wash of overprotectiveness. 


A/N: Hi everyone! I am finally back from the hiatus I did. 

First of all, I'm really sorry for the sudden disappearance. As I said before, I've been going through some bad times. I thought I would be pretty sturdy enough to endure it but then another thing happened and it broke me quiet well (haha). Sometimes the world just doesn't want to go with your way even though you had poured you're everything to it. I've been so silent and gloomy that my parent finally decided that I need to take a break for a while and they took me out from the town. It's actually a pretty nice idea, because it finally made me feel a little at ease now and I got a lot of a new idea for the story through the break too! So I proudly say that I'm back now! It's been two weeks, right? I think I've never been gone that long, that's why I consider it disappearing (lol)

And sorry for taking so long! I'm actually changing the plotline a little so I did much longer doing this chapter. It works as a filler now (a very short filler, sorry TT TT) but everything will be in place again in future chapters! I hope you look forward for it ^^ I'll try to update much more now since I'm back!