Namjoon (Luckyoctopus)

Randomness that Started it all

Great, I'm actually going to be late this time... after I got lucky for making it to class last time I overslept, I guess this is payback. I trudged slowly to my Japanese class, since I was inevitably going to be the last one to show up anyways. Once I made it, I disregarded the sinking feeling of knowing the entire class was going to be staring at me. I opened the door with a quiet yet obvious swoosh.

My sensei didn't pause their lecture, but as expected, I was the new spotlight. I didn't give my classmates a passing glance until I got to my desk. Only then did I notice someone unfamiliar was perched beside mine. He had custard-colored hair, whipped up in a peculiar style. I said nothing as I took my seat. However, the custard head looked at me and grinned. I tried to disregard him, but... he looked like an interesting fellow. "Are you a new student?" I quipped.

He flashed another smile. "Yes. My name is Kim Namjoon." My ears perked at the Korean name. I told him hello and introduced myself in Korean and he howled with laughter, causing people to turn. I waved them off. Namjoon began speaking in a flurry of Korean and I had to stop him, saying I wasn't fluent so cool it. Another trill of laughter and he coolly replied, "Sorry, I thought I could communicate with you better since you knew my language."

My eyes bugged out at his vocab and pronounciation. "You're really good at English... Why are you learning Japanese if you can speak two languages well?" My inward bluntness came out.

His smirk came off as kind of cocky now. "Well, I already conquered two, I might as well learn another. And Nihongo is easy." I snorted at his Japanese pronounciation, pointing out it could use some work. His eyes reflected challenge, but he was all smiles. We spent the rest of the time chatting about our classes.

Apparently he was taking Honors English and Advanced Calculus in his first year. Smartass. He asked me about my classes, and I told him every one of them besides my math... I felt hesitant on revealing my remedial class to this smart-aleck. He sensed my reluctance and prodded me, saying whatever it is, he won't laugh. I conceded with a sigh and told him straight out. I waited for his cackle, but it never came. I met his eyes and he looked calm. "It's okay. Math , I know. But, say, if you need any help, I can show you some stuff. Friends don't let other friends suffer alone, right?" Now a smile spread across his lips, but it seemed... genuine. I noticed that he already considers us friends. That was new. Since he seemed interesting and not too aloof, I took his offer, even saying I could help him clean up his Japanese pronounciation and teach him some Kanji. He chuckled at my sort-of haughty comment, and I had a feeling that we would be a pretty good pair of friends.