Chapter 9

MoonLight City

 

The next day, Aaron went to his office without eating breakfast. He had the worst dream ever. He dreamed that he got kidnapped and Gui was the one who was trying to save him. She pleaded with the kidnapper, but he wouldn't let him go unless she exchanged her life for his. She decided to die, and let him live. He woke up sweating. He was afraid, the more he think about the dream, the more he was worried about Gui. He didn't know where she was at. It was the first time in 5 years, that he had that dream. He was scared, more than that, he was worried.

He wanted to find Gui as fast as possible. It's been a month since he last saw her at the mall. He knew that she was hiding, but where? He didn't even think about her grandfather's house. He didn't even think about going to Chen Merchandise to look for her. He was lost, and he knew that she was the most important person to him. His feelings for her came back after he saw her. He just want to talk to her and let her know that he understand her, but did he actually understand about her?

He walked into his office and cried. His mind was filled with questions. He was scaring himself. He know that he just wanted to find her. He need her by his side. She had left him hurt and sad for way too long. He just want to tell her that he was sorry, and that he forgave her. But...he knew that it was harder than it looked. He can't even get a hold on himself, how can he find her.

He cried for her, he cried for himself, he cried for their relationship, he cried for his father, he cried for everything and anything that he can think off. He was lost, and he needed someone to help him.

He was still crying, when Jason knocked on the door. Aaron didn't hear Jason knocking, so he let himself in and saw Aaron crying. He didn't know what to do. Jason just stared at Aaron. Then, he walked up to Aaron.

Jason:Second Young Master, are you okay? (stares at Aaron)

A:I'm...fine. (sniffed)

Jason:Is there anything bothering you? Do you want me to listen to you? (pull a chair and sat across from him)

A:Yes, Jason, I don't know what to do. I had a nightmare and I can't find Gui. I searched everywhere. Her boss told me that she quit her job at the orphanage, and her grandpa is not home. I can't reach her and I need to talk to her. I need her. I want her to tell me everything. I can't...I can't take it anymore. (more tears formed, he tries to fight them)

Jason:Second Young Master, I have good news for you. (hands a handkerchief to him)

A: (looks up) What news?

Jason:I found her. She has been hiding from you. I saw her yesterday night. She is staying with her grandfather at Chen Estate. You know where that is, right? Well, her grandfather is not home right now, his flight was postponed, so he won't be back for another month. Anyways, you can visit her at school. She has class right now, but you can talk to her after her class. She is attending Sheng Ying University. She majoring in business so that she can take over Chen Merchandise.

A:She is attending MY school?

Jason:Yes, she said that she wanted to follow your shadow. Young Master, did you know that she had been by your side all these years?

A:(confused) What are you talking about? Did she tell you that?

Jason:No, she refused to talk to me, but her best friend, Zhan Ya Tou and Tsai Pei Lin told me. They say that every yea she had been sending you birthday presents. Also, she would always take her daughter to the Bear Shop and buy a bear for her daughter. Her friends, said that she had been through a lot, but she still manage to take care of a 4 year old. I don't know what happened to the father, but she is not married. Her friends said that something happened to her family, but I don't know what. They wouldn't tell me, but Young Master, you can talk to her. You can ask her.

After Jason left, Aaron decided to visit his old college. He graduated from there last year. He was the youngest one in his year to graduate. He was only 23 when he graduated from college. He was still pretty shock about Gui attending the same university as him. He never once saw her at school, but then again, he kept to himself. He called Principal Jiang You Hui. After making the call, he went to Sheng Ying University.

When he got there, Principal Jiang was waiting for him in his office. Aaron knocked on his door and entered into a small, but cozy office. Principal Jiang's office was not as big as his, but it had a nice, warm feeling, unlike his, which was cold and lonely. They talked for a while, before he went to look for Gui.

Gui was walking to the mini cafe where she worked at. After quitting her job, she started to work in a mini cafe at the school. She knew that if she stayed at the orphanage, Aaron would track her down. Little did she know, that he already that she was attending Sheng Ying.

Worker:Hello, Ms. Gui.

G:Oh, hi, Ke Rui.

(Note: Ke Rui-KR, she only show up a couple of times)

KR:Gui, you don't need to come today, boss is not here and we're not busy. You can go home and take care of your daughter.

G:Stop talking nonsense, my daughter is at home with her nanny, so..don't worry. Plus, it's my turn to take your shift.

KR:Hey, you know that I can't allow you take my shifts.

They were talking to each other when Aaron walked into the cafe. He didn't see Gui at first, but he always liked hanging out at this cafe. This cafe was the only place that brought him warmth. He missed this cafe once he graduated. He was looking around when he saw Cao Ke Rui. She was a junior, when he was attending Sheng Ying. She was always his waitress, because she always knew what he wanted. He would always wait for her to arrive, before he ordered, sometimes, she would just bring him his latte without him ordering. They were really close, but she was just a friend, whom he can relied on. She only see him a Ge since her brother died when she was 8.

Ke Rui was laughing with Gui, when she saw Aaron walked into the cafe. She couldn't believe it. Her usual customer was back. She had really missed him. He was always at the cafe reading or studying and she would always talk to him. She liked him as a brother, and she like him even more because he looks like her brother. Ke Rui stopped talking to Gui and went to Aaron.

KR:Aaron! What are you doing here?

A:Ke Rui! You are still working here? I thought that you quit?

KR:Me quit? I can't. You know that I need to the money for tuition. Anyways, what brings you here?

A:Um...I'm looking for someone.

KR:Oh, who are you looking for? I know everyone in this school.

A:I'm looking for a girl name Chen Ying Jie.

KR:Chen Ying Jie?! (shouting) You mean GUI!

Gui heard her name and walked out behind the counter. She stared at Ke Rui and then at the guy that she was talking too. She was standing right in front of him, so she didn't see who she was talking too.

A:Yea, you know her?

KR:Of course I know her! (turn around and saw Gui staring at her) She is standing right there. (points to Gui)

Aaron followed her extended arm and saw Gui. He couldn't believe his eyes. She was standing right in front of him.

Gui stared at Ke Rui, then at the man she was talking too. Then, all of sudden, she caught his eyes. It was Aaron. She just stood there frozen.

[Gui's POV]
G:What is he doing here? I thought that I would never get to see him again. What should I do? Should I run or go and talk to him? I knew that this day would come, but I didn't expect to see him HERE!
[end]

Gui was just standing dumbfounded. Ke Rui was staring at Gui then back at Aaron. She didn't know what was going on, but she knew that there was something going on between them. She kept on looking at them, until she couldn't take the silence anymore.

KR:Okay, is it just me, or do you two know each other?

G:We...um... (trails off)

A:Know each other. (he finishes off her sentence for her)

KR:Whoa! You TWO know each other? Since when? How come you didn't tell me? (looks at Gui then at Aaron)

Gui just stood where she was at. She wanted to talk to him, but it seems like she couldn't talk anymore. She was just staring at him. She knew what he wanted, but she couldn't bring herself to walk up to him.

Aaron wanted to run up to her and hug her, but his body wouldn't work. It seems like he didn't know how to run anymore. He just sat at his table and stared at her.

Ke Rui was getting annoyed at them, so she walked up to Gui and pushed her to Aaron's table. She had a feeling that they needed to talk. She could sense that there was something wrong; a misunderstanding. She forced Gui to sit across from Aaron. Gui tried to talk her out of it, but she refuse to listen to her. She just told Gui that she would give them 10 minutes to talk. She left them alone. She went back to the counter and just stared at them.

Aaron hesitated first, but he started to talk to her.

A:Gui...how have you been doing?

G:I've...I've...been...fine. You?

A:I believe that Chun already told you how I've been doing. What more do you want to know? (he sounded mad)

G:Um...what do you want to talk about? (she knew what he wanted to talk about, but she didn't want to be the first one to bring up the subject. She had been avoiding it for so long)

A:Why did you take my father's money? Why did you leave me? (tears start to formed in his eyes)

G:I...I... (trails off)

A:You what? You don't love me anymore? You have someone else? (anger starts to boil inside of him. His hatred for her starts to form)

G: (looks at Aaron) NO...I have no choice. I needed the money. My daughter needed to transplant. She was so young...my sister in law just died and Calvin was in the States. My grandfather wanted me back...I didn't know what to do.

A:So...you left me? (tears fell)

G:Yes, Aaron, look, you were rich and I was poor, your father didn't like me. I had to leave. I have to stay away from you. Would you still want me if you know that I had a daughter?! (shouting)

A:Gui, you couldn't you just tell me the truth! I know that you are lying! Please, Gui, please stop lying to me and tell me the truth! (shouting, more tears starts to fall)

At that exact moment, Ya Tou walked in for work. She saw Aaron and Gui talking to each other. She walked up to them. She saw Aaron crying. She didn't know what they were talking about, but for some reason, she wanted to slap Gui. She just stood there for a second, then pulled Gui out of her seat. She needed to yell at her. She couldn't believe that Gui would let Aaron cry like that. She knew about Gui's past and Aaron's father, but she never once blamed Aaron. At most, she wanted Gui to happy again. She knew that Gui still loved Aaron and that she still want Aaron, but why can't she just admit it? Ya Tou pulled Gui to the kitchen.

Y:Gui, what are you doing? Can't you see that Aaron's crying? Why didn't you comfort him? (shouting)

G:Ya Tou, you don't even know ANYTHING! I want to comfort him, but I have to push him away. I caused his father to DIE! I can't even face him. I caused him so much misery!! Ya Tou, please, I'm begging you, please, tell him to leave.

Y:But Gui...I know that you still love him! Why can't you just admit it?

G:Ya Tou! (anger was boiling inside of her)

She couldn't believe it. Her only best friend was taking Aaron's side. She never thought that Ya Tou would say something like that to her. Emotions ran wild. She didn't know what to do. Anger, frustration, despair, misery, all sorts of emotions was boiling up inside of her. She needed to get out of there. She ran out of the kitchen, grabbed her stuff and ran out of the cafe. She didn't know where she was going, but she needed to leave. She needed some time alone. It was the first time she saw him, since their last meeting. She didn't know what overcame her, but she kept on running. She didn't stop until she got to a playground. It was not any other playground, but theirs. She ran to the swings and sat down. She cried. She cried for herself and for Aaron. She had missed him, but she couldn't face him. She blamed herself for his father's death and for his coldness and heartbreak.

She cried for hours, before returning home. When she got home, she went right to her room. She took a shower and went into Calvin's room. For some reason, his room was her soul reviver. Her only escape. She laid on his bed, and cried some more. She knew that Calvin and her parents were watching her from Heaven. She cried herself to sleep. She let herself go into her parents and Calvin's embrace. She let them watch over her, there will be a day with no more tears, no more pain, and no more fears. One day, she would be able to overcome every obstacles in her life.