09 | Worth It

Invisible | Jungkook
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

09

W O R T H   I T

 

"You're so mean," Jungkook pouted as we entered the building. Everyone started to give me weird stares. I guess they were so used to me entering alone but now that I'm in here with someone else, they finally look a me?

"How am I mean? You're the one who leaves without notice, and then comes back without notice, claiming to be human again but not even giving me a single explanation as to how?"

"We're back to this again?" he asked and I almost heard him roll his eyes and stop walking. 

"Yeah, I just realised how well you dodged my questions yesterday and it's not happening. It's either you tell me what the is going on, or there is going to be a wall," I said, gesturing to the space in between us, "that I am going to gladly place just here."

"Baby, don't do this now," he whispered, shortening the distance between us. 

"Now is a good of a time as ever," I said, throwing him (what I hoped was) a menacing glare and he sighed, looking to the floor. 

"Let's go back to that lake," he said, taking my wrist and walking out. 

I turned back and saw Seokjin and Hoseok standing in the elevator looking at us. Hoseok's eyes were wide but Seokjin just looked at me with understanding eyes. I took his nod as a nod of acknowledgement and I let Jungkook drag me away.

 

"You know how I told you that if I found my killer, I would be able to finally enter heaven?" he asked.

"Mhm," I nodded, starting to see where this was going.

"Well I wasn't able to. I wasn't able to find her and so they gave me some conditions, which were to find out who killed me, and a few other unsolved killings of the other ghosts up there," he pointed to the sky.

"Is that it?" I asked, this time carefully watching Jungkook's reaction.

His smile faltered but he answered, "Yeah, that's it."

 

It scared me. 

The fact that I knew he was lying but still I trusted him. What was the truth behind it all anyway? He came back from the dead, literally, but how? Why?

I decided I was going to have to figure it out myself. 

If he was going to lie and say it was nothing, it was my responsibility to find out myself. 

When we had gone in, Seokjin had handed me a whole stack of files while he, the boys and Jungkook had gone who knows where, to talk everything through. I wasn't sure what he was going to say. Was he going to tell them the truth? Lie? Or partly the truth, like what he had told me?

I had to write up reports for the petty thefts that we had wrapped up in the past few days but I got carried away when I found a file from the research we had done about my adoption.

We had evidence that Seokjin mother was mine too, but I wasn't so sure about him. There was something that I remembered from my little episode before and that was the image of a little boy running in the back, running away.

I didn't think too much of it because I thought I was just seeing things but right now it seems that I just couldn't take any chances.

I was taking it upon myself to find it. Find who killed my mother and for some reason I felt that my kidnapping had something to do with his family.

Just then I felt my fingers start shaking and I knew I had just triggered another memory.

"She's mine. I want her back," the kidnapper hissed.

"I love her, you didn't want her when you gave her to me, now I'm not giving her back," my mother said, her voice steady, not trembling one bit although she was at the verge of death.

"She's mine. I want her back now," the kidnapper repeated.

"No, she's mine. The only way you're gonna get her back is if you kill me," my mom spat.

"You think I wouldn't?" the kidnapper said, taking a step closer, leaning down and tracing the knife on her jawline.

"Don't touch me," my mother said once more.

"You know, I don't think I could let you go right now. It's either I kill you, or the other way around and honestly I don't think it's gonna be the other way around."

"Yah. Eonnie, think about what you're doing."

Yah? Eonnie? Does this mean my mom knows her? Does she know her killer?

"I do know what I'm doing. I know that if I do this I'll have what I want and I'll have what I don't want out of my life."

"Think about your son! Think about how he's gonna think of you. Think about all of them!! All 7 of them look up to you - look up to us as parents and you're gonna just throw all this away?"

"No, I'm not. Let's face it honey, you're not gonna be missed okay? There is no one in your life other than me and her," I assumed she was talking about me, "and if you're gone,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter